Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Shipon posted:

thomas friedman is the GOAT of lovely op-ed writers
Before the internet broke his brain, Matt Taibbi had some spectacular takes on Friedman. Hes pretty much the only reason I even know about him and what hes like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

What was that podcast Matt christman went on, the one the true anon account had a hilarious beef with. The hosts talk in academic gibberish, uses 20 words where 3 would do fine. Ring any bells

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

gh0stpinballa posted:

What was that podcast Matt christman went on, the one the true anon account had a hilarious beef with. The hosts talk in academic gibberish, uses 20 words where 3 would do fine. Ring any bells

cumtown

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gorn Myson posted:

Before the internet broke his brain, Matt Taibbi had some spectacular takes on Friedman. Hes pretty much the only reason I even know about him and what hes like.

friedman is more politically engaged, wealthier and more powerful than any of us are likely to ever be, and he does this while being completely and obviously stupid. there must be something at work here

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gh0stpinballa posted:

superstructure? I never actually listened to it tho

Batmans dad
Jun 27, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

Skullduggery?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

crepeface posted:

superstructure? I never actually listened to it tho

It was this. I listened to it and it was really bad. Like imagine the worst caricature of philosophy grad students trying to out-smug and out-obfuscate each other

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
good name for it then

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
from their follow-up episode after having christman on

"Cohosts Will Beaman and Natalie Smith are joined by Scott Ferguson and Andrés Bernal to reflect on a recent "close encounter" with the Dirtbag Left. They diagnose the perverse comfort that the Dirtbag Left takes in contracting political economy around fixed points of "leverage" over political elites.
Touching on the Jimmy Dore controversy and a recent Chapo episode on Avatar, the team compares the austere physics metaphors that structure the Left's hopelessness to neoliberal action cinema's preoccupation with what Ferguson has called its "Hyper-Newtonian Aesthetics"."

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

papa horny michael posted:

"Cohosts Will Beaman and Natalie Smith are joined by Scott Ferguson and Andrés Bernal to reflect on a recent "close encounter" with the Dirtbag Left. They diagnose the perverse comfort that the Dirtbag Left takes in contracting political economy around fixed points of "leverage" over political elites.
Touching on the Jimmy Dore controversy and a recent Chapo episode on Avatar, the team compares the austere physics metaphors that structure the Left's hopelessness to neoliberal action cinema's preoccupation with what Ferguson has called its "Hyper-Newtonian Aesthetics"."

Gibberish

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
They're right.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

This is it, haha

THS
Sep 15, 2017

kill the academics

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/f_freaker/status/1384590297586405377

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
have looked up the superstructure episode with Matt and oh boy, this is a trip

take a drink every time someone says "zero-sum"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The nicest thing I can say about Thomas Friedman is that his face is less upsetting to look at than David Frum's, David Brooks', or Ross Douthat's.

I like it when Chapo dunks on regional op-ed writers I've never heard of. Jacoby is a funny character even without the Caleb saga, and I remember Felix went on an extended rant about some Chicago chud whose only passions are racism and junk food.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Apr 21, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
john kass’s life sounds very sad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Biden's Legacy: The President Who Poisoned Baseball

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

friedman is more politically engaged, wealthier and more powerful than any of us are likely to ever be, and he does this while being completely and obviously stupid. there must be something at work here

the Bad people are stupid and richer than God and they will never ever go away. here's a deep cut.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

ah, leverage, dont you see a simple physics metaphor cannot explaigurblfguruglrblgrl :jerkbag:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
leverage is one of the most basic things you need to understand for any kind of negotiation the idea of dismissing it as a physics metaphor because it was yelled at you by a sasquatch toddler is the most fart huffing poo poo ever lmao

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
did they seriously have him on then just poo poo talk him in the next episode

I really “respect” these people

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
did they challenge him at all directly or do the academic thing where you never actually directly engage with anyone because conflict means you have to defend yourself

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

did they seriously have him on then just poo poo talk him in the next episode

I really “respect” these people

It seemed like they had him on legitimately and then when their repellant fans started pissing and moaning they had to do this deeply sad "ah, just as planned" follow up, which is even more embarrassing

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Goast posted:

leverage is one of the most basic things you need to understand for any kind of negotiation the idea of dismissing it as a physics metaphor because it was yelled at you by a sasquatch toddler is the most fart huffing poo poo ever lmao

not understanding the basics of negotiation?

looks like the big brain boys haven't read one important book.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

destiny's debating wolff right now, it's boring

but also concurrently

quote:

Defending myself from claims Destiny made in his "Bob7 Manifesto"

https://twitch.tv/bob7

i love twitch lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cumtown was funny today because they made fun of adam's small penis

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

i say swears online posted:

destiny's debating wolff right now, it's boring

but also concurrently

https://twitch.tv/bob7

i love twitch lol

i love drama, it's what makes the world go round

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i never want to hear another loving word about lefties complaining about stemlords when this is half of all philosophy students

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

cumtown was funny today because they made fun of adam's small penis

the adams-dick-is-small dancers *chicka-chik-a*

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Shipon posted:

i never want to hear another loving word about lefties complaining about stemlords when this is half of all philosophy students

look stem people are also kin-- yeah you're right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

stem and liberal arts need to unite against the true enemy, the business school

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

the left mocks libertarian ideas, but generally leftists respect their ability to build influential institutions. like, how loving influential was the mont pelerin socoety? you don't get neoliberalism without it. the koch stuff is impressive too (and outlined in more detail in jane meyer's book than the episode).

but there's a key asymmetry between the left and libertarians--only one group's ideology is compatible with capital, and therefore finds wealthy patrons. so as much as i respect what the libertarians have done to gain a foothold among the competing factions of capital that control the state, their successes aren't exactly replicable by the left or even very instructive strategically

Yeah the point here isn't "the libertarians are more competent" but that the people who act like the left exists as any sort of real competition against them (much less being a group that is more powerful) is nonsense.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Why does chapo hate dogs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They're toxoplasmosis

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

on second thought, I'd rather talk about summer shandy because it's still loving snowing here for some reason

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Shipon posted:

the problem is that philosophy departments are 35% lawyers-to-be, 50% think-they're-lawyers-to-be, 10% old men taking classes for free to get a chance to be creepy to 20 year olds, and 5% people too dedicated to becoming a philosopher to flee. Add to that the general grad-student brainworms and you have a podcast.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

the problem is that philosophy departments are 35% lawyers-to-be, 50% think-they're-lawyers-to-be, 10% old men taking classes for free to get a chance to be creepy to 20 year olds, and 5% people too dedicated to becoming a philosopher to flee. Add to that the general grad-student brainworms and you have a podcast.

that reads like one of those analyses they do after a lethal industrial accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

animist posted:

that reads like one of those analyses they do after a lethal industrial accident

the USCSB has concluded that any exposure to the above will most literally inflict brain damage, possibly leading to retardation