Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
the set of all prime numbers is still ℵ0

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Zetsubou-san posted:

the set of all prime numbers is still ℵ0

?מה

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the set of anything countable but provably infinite has the same size as the set of all integers, hth

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

FFT posted:

"set of all prime numbers" would be smaller, "set of all values of Avogadro's Nx" (or similar)

The meme seems pretty limited

All infinite sets of integers are the same size. When you get to talking about the size of infinite sets you have to redefine what you mean by "size", and to make the concept work at all you have to abandon a lot of the intuition that holds true for finite sets. One of the pieces of intuition you abandon is the idea that removing and adding members to a set always changes its size.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Zetsubou-san posted:

the set of anything countable but provably infinite has the same size as the set of all integers, hth

How do get from that to a stack of Lin Kuei?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Whybird posted:

All infinite sets of integers are the same size.
I'm aware that all infinite sets are infinite sets, yes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

FFT posted:

"set of all prime numbers" would be smaller, "set of all values of Avogadro's Nx" (or similar)

The meme seems pretty limited

Those sets are both the same size as the counting numbers. You can tell because you can make a 1-to-1 correspondence between them, for example this correspondence between the counting numbers and the primes:
1 :: 2
2 :: 3
3 :: 5
4 :: 7
5 :: 11
and so on.

Since both lists go on forever, the correspondence never breaks down, and since it is well-defined and contains all the counting numbers on one side and all the primes on the other, the counting numbers and the prime numbers must be the same size. This holds despite the fact that everything on the latter list is on the former, but not everything on the former list is on the latter - infinity is weird like that. It's like how infinity plus one (or infinity times two or infinity divided by a billion or whatever) is still just infinity.

However, you cannot make a 1-to-1 correspondence between the counting numbers and the real numbers; the famous proof is called "Cantor's diagonalization argument," which I won't lay out here but you can look it up if you want. It proves that the set of real numbers is larger than the set of counting numbers, even though they are both infinite. It is provably unknowable (in the standard formulation of mathematics) whether or not there are any sizes of sets in between those two sizes (google "continuum hypothesis" for info). Also there are infinitely many possible sizes of infinite sets, each one larger than the last, with the smallest being called the size of the counting numbers, aleph_0, and higher ones, aleph_1, aleph_2, and so on. (aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet and I have no idea why it's used here. presumably because mathematicians ran out of latin and greek letters.)

So the trolley problem meme is comparing aleph_0 people and some other amount of people that is higher than aleph_0 (but it's unknowable which aleph it is). However, it doesn't really make any sense because the definition of "person" I would say definitely implies countability, so it does not make sense to have uncountably infinitely many people, in the same way you might have uncountably infinitely many positions on a number line.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Hyperlynx posted:

How do get from that to a stack of Lin Kuei?

alephzero

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Perfect for 'ardly touched her.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

These crossovers are getting wild.

Went to bed hoping I'd wake up to this.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

DontMockMySmock posted:

Those sets are both the same size as the counting numbers. You can tell because you can make a 1-to-1 correspondence between them, for example this correspondence between the counting numbers and the primes:
and so on.

Since both lists go on forever, the correspondence never breaks down, and since it is well-defined and contains all the counting numbers on one side and all the primes on the other, the counting numbers and the prime numbers must be the same size. This holds despite the fact that everything on the latter list is on the former, but not everything on the former list is on the latter - infinity is weird like that. It's like how infinity plus one (or infinity times two or infinity divided by a billion or whatever) is still just infinity.

However, you cannot make a 1-to-1 correspondence between the counting numbers and the real numbers; the famous proof is called "Cantor's diagonalization argument," which I won't lay out here but you can look it up if you want. It proves that the set of real numbers is larger than the set of counting numbers, even though they are both infinite. It is provably unknowable (in the standard formulation of mathematics) whether or not there are any sizes of sets in between those two sizes (google "continuum hypothesis" for info). Also there are infinitely many possible sizes of infinite sets, each one larger than the last, with the smallest being called the size of the counting numbers, aleph_0, and higher ones, aleph_1, aleph_2, and so on. (aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet and I have no idea why it's used here. presumably because mathematicians ran out of latin and greek letters.)

So the trolley problem meme is comparing aleph_0 people and some other amount of people that is higher than aleph_0 (but it's unknowable which aleph it is). However, it doesn't really make any sense because the definition of "person" I would say definitely implies countability, so it does not make sense to have uncountably infinitely many people, in the same way you might have uncountably infinitely many positions on a number line.

pee pee poo poo number big

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Right, I can see that, but...

...wait a second.

aleph[sub]zero[/sub]

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Edit: gently caress, new page.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ah, another ‘gas leak’ page

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

I'm seeing a bunch of memes on twitter with labeled measures on stuff. Like this:

|----------------something---------------| |------something else-----|

What's that about

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

burexas.irom posted:

I'm seeing a bunch of memes on twitter with labeled measures on stuff. Like this:

|----------------something---------------| |------something else-----|

What's that about

Post examples?

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

no

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Thats okay I'll do it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They seem pretty self explanatory to me

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
|-------not getting the joke---| you are here |----birth of jesus---|img-timeline.jpg

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

and so on.

Found the narrator in the trolley meme.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

flavor.flv posted:

Thats okay I'll do it

cancel this meme sooner rather than later

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Done.
|-haha, funny meme-||--------------------------cancelled------------------------|

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Paladinus posted:

Done.
|- haha, funny meme -| |-------------------------- cancelled ------------------------| |----------------------------------------FWD:FWD:RE:FWD:FWD: ----------------------------------------|

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Done.
|- haha, funny meme -| |-------------------------- cancelled ------------------------| |----------------------------------------FWD:FWD:RE:FWD:FWD: ----------------------------------------|

Lol, now that's funny

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Sorry about your lack of funny.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Sorry about your lack of funny.

Oh drat.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol, now that's funny
not really

sorry

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

not really

sorry

Oof, drat. I've got it all wrong.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

How it started:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

not really

sorry
🤝
How it's going:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oof, drat. I've got it all wrong.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

First good picture in last 2 pages

gently caress you all

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

flavor.flv posted:

Thats okay I'll do it

I like these

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Regarde Aduck posted:

gently caress you all

No u

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Regarde Aduck posted:

gently caress you all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006