Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was hoping they'd go for a more novel lineup now that almost every mutant who ever existed is available, is all. the only interesting choices were synch, who has recently gone from a talented rookie to being mentally older than the rest of the team combined, and best wolverine. otherwise it is a team you could have seen any time between the 90's and today.

This is supposed to be the premier X-Men superhero team, so having it full of popular people is the point. Also all of the characters are really interesting characters in and of themselves and you haven't seen too much interaction between a lot of them, even though they've all been around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
If anyone is interested, I'm auctioning off my
Hellfire Gala invite on Twitter, proceeds going to organizations fighting anti-trans legislation in the US.

https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1384573059101822981?s=19

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hellfire Gala invite on Twitter, proceeds going to organizations fighting anti-trans legislation in the US.

Wait. Jed MacKay is a Goon?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

Wait. Jed MacKay is a Goon?

Yeah, it's come up a bunch in the general Marvel thread that Vulpes Vulpes is Jed MacKay.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's come up a bunch in the general Marvel thread that Vulpes Vulpes is Jed MacKay.

I did not know! I only really look here so...

Anyway, that's cool and I very much like the Black Cat books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So far he hasn't signed every post or been an attractive woman so he hasn't gotten run off.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Picked a bad month to quit my job. I'd have gone pretty hard for one of those. Hope that raises some good money for a good cause.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have never seen so much destruction in someone's face until today's issue of SWORD. :golfclap:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I also really enjoyed SWORD.

What happened in Way of X is hosed up though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the really shocking thing in sword came on the second to last page. rugged sexy forearm, the mutant whose power is having four arms.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gologle posted:

What happened in Way of X is hosed up though

No kidding, just finished it. The scene first few pages in is seriously hosed up, then Dr Nemesis analysis of the Crucible, then the aftermath of the resurrection, and then the closing pages. I'm in for wherever this goes next, Mr Spurrier. I'm. In.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Onwards to X-Force, the art for the previous issue was pretty rough so hopefully this one wo--

(first page)

gently caress my life. It's hard to take the story -- which was already not that great -- seriously when it's drawn by someone emulating ancient cave paintings or whatever this is supposed to be. It's grotesque as hell for no good reason.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
SWORD was great. Way of X was exactly what I was hoping it would be. X-Force was...X-Force.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm very on board with way of x, the ideas were incredible. I'll probably be dropping x force though, just hasn't been doing much for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Way of X is way of yes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Way of X did not waste any time holy poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They're really getting into it with Krakoa now, and I'd love to talk about it, but talking about it means dealing with the internet's love of ironic fascism, which I hate.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rand Brittain posted:

They're really getting into it with Krakoa now, and I'd love to talk about it, but talking about it means dealing with the internet's love of ironic fascism, which I hate.

:justpost:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Oh no is Krakoa doing a fash? Who could have seen this coming

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
Way of X hit overdrive fast. Between Charles looking longingly at the picture of Legion and his mom earlier and remembering quite suddenly that Is Spurrier wrote X-Men Legacy, Legion showing up wasn't completely a surprise, but it was executed extremely well. I'm down for any story in which Nightcrawler can be both funny and the conscience of the X-Men. It feels a little wild to me that like ten pages of this did more to establish mutant teen culture than New Mutants has up until this point.

SWORD dunking on Cortez some more and boosting Peepers? I'm here for it.

X-Force I was OK with story-wise, but the art...so bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in another book i wouldn't think much of pixie's short-lived death, but in way of x it might be significant. see, pixie has a soul dagger from limbo shenanigans. it is not in any way innate, but it is now part of her soul. except pixie is now a clone with a downloaded backup copy of her mind. so uh, that might be a thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My headcanon for this week's SWORD is that Magneto didn't ask Jean to bring Cortez without letting him get the yolk off or get dressed, she just thought it would be funny to see if she could get him to do it without using her powers.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Gaz-L posted:

My headcanon for this week's SWORD is that Magneto didn't ask Jean to bring Cortez without letting him get the yolk off or get dressed, she just thought it would be funny to see if she could get him to do it without using her powers.

She knew she could.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there a reason she was in the Jim Lee outfit, by the way?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

She likes it. Or maybe it's what they first met wearing so she decided to wear it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Keep in mind the premise Hickman suggested at the start of this is that mutants just cycle through costumes like they were clothes

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do appreciate the colourist being very careful to make the non-black bits yellow instead of some who just make it look like like she's wearing the world's highest cut one-piece.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I imagine we will still be seeing our good friend Cortez being dunked on in more ludicrous ways the further we go through this series, regardless of the events that transpired in today's issue.

I cannot wait :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I do appreciate the colourist being very careful to make the non-black bits yellow instead of some who just make it look like like she's wearing the world's highest cut one-piece.

Also it has pockets which I think is nice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it was anyone else, this clique poo poo would definitely lead to disaffection and possibly even betrayal. with cortez, all of that is a given so why not treat him like garbage?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Way of X was quite impressive, though couldn't they have shelled out for a more..top-tier artist...than this?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I thought it had a lot of expressive and cute faces. Kurt looked very charming. Maybe not the flashiest art in the world but I thought the body language and "acting" was really endearing and impressive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

I thought it had a lot of expressive and cute faces. Kurt looked very charming. Maybe not the flashiest art in the world but I thought the body language and "acting" was really endearing and impressive.

Same, though I could see wanting a more stylistic artist (for lack of a better term) someone like the guy on New Mutants right now.

In general though, while some of the art is obviously better than others, none of the X-Books have what I'd call bad art.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Guess Greg Land must be busy elsewhere.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I suppose I am being a bit picky, considering the pickings that we got from X-Force this week. :v:

Which is too bad, 'cuz the general story around Quentin was pretty solid. and hey, it reminded me that Beast died! That's nice.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Look, all you ned to do in a comic book with Pixie in it is make sure she is the cutest, and gosh darn it, the artist did a great job.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's not like there's been an artist change in X-Force, it's still Joshua Cassara, who's art was really good for a while, I think these last two issues have just been rushed or something.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
One small thing I liked about Way of X was the mutant slang. It's a nice way to show how they're developing their own culture.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I really liked how way of x made explicit and challenged the fascism emergent on Krakoa. this is clearly a series that has been plotted and has something to say; it's exciting when writers like Spurrier and Ewing get to do their thing with the x-men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought the art was pretty good after seeing that cover.