Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

OTOH, it has only been 3 months since he left office. I think he'll start losing relevance soon enough. But then I'm frequently wrong.

I was going to say "I hope so [that he will lose influence]" but I'm not sure now. Trump's influence isn't making the GOP much eviler, but it's making them a lot more stupid.

One might also ask, what's the GOP's relevance to Trump, and how does that influence him? The man goes where he needs to go, and says what he needs to say, to get applause and attention. If the GOP and Fox told him to gently caress off, he'd focus in on OANN and the Proud Boys, and say what he thinks they want to hear, and that could actually be a lot more dangerous.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ReidRansom posted:

OTOH, it has only been 3 months since he left office. I think he'll start losing relevance soon enough. But then I'm frequently wrong.

"Surely Trump will become less influential soon" says increasingly worried man for the fourth time.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, the most recent one rested on the laurels of losing back in 2008? Like, this was in response to Chris Christy failing to do something he wanted to, right?

It was a bit different with Clinton, though. Obama basically gave her the keys to the entire Democratic party apparatus to buy her cooperation. Christie doesn't have that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ReidRansom posted:

It was a bit different with Clinton, though. Obama basically gave her the keys to the entire Democratic party apparatus to buy her cooperation. Christie doesn't have that.

God what a mess that turned out to be didn't it.

And true on the second point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Josef bugman posted:

"Surely Trump will become less influential soon" says increasingly worried man for the fourth time.

He became a lot less influential almost exactly three months ago and also became a lot less influential about two and a half months before that.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Slowpoke! posted:

Amazing how running a failed campaign is seen as a positive.
At this point, Christie's using that statement to appeal to donors. And it's slightly less ridiculous than it seems on its face: DeSantis' electoral history is winning a safe GOP house seat for 3 cycles and then beating Andrew Gillum by 32k votes. Christie message to donors is that the one time in his political career DeSantis has been tested, he eeked out an incredibly narrow victory in Florida. Spooling that operation up to a nationwide effort is unlikely to be easy, quick, or come without wasting significant money. Read it as "If having executive experience is important to you in a candidate, your choices are me or this dumbass. I've run nationwide before and I learned lessons in that process, so I know how to put your money to the best use. DeSantis will waste your money while he learns on the job." To the extent Christie has a lane, it's as a former governor. I suspect that this attempt at differentiation will resonate with a chunk of GOP donors (especially given DeSantis' reputation and reported shortcomings), but also that it won't be enough because :lol: Chris Christie.

"Fresh and without the stink of failure" tends to come into conflict with "Untested and unproven". Good candidates, generally those who are charismatic and great in individual/small settings with competent staff, can lean heavily into the former in a way that defangs the latter. From the politico piece I linked upthread, though:

His own staff! posted:

DeSantis loyalists acknowledge that even in 2018, in the midst of a messy primary fight, they were aware of their candidate’s higher aspirations—and the long-term work required to mold a gaffe-prone congressman with a notable lack of people skills into the national candidate he already thought he was.

“Internally on the campaign, we joked that we were working on our own type of ‘Manhattan Project,’” said a staffer who worked on DeSantis’ campaign. “Once he became governor, we knew we would need to work on his communications skills and his retail politics. …You know, the sort of stuff you need in a diner in Iowa or New Hampshire.”

Again, his own staff posted:

But DeSantis’ success with Adelson is a conspicuous exception in his fundraising. He is notorious for his poor skills tending to the run-of-the-mill millionaires who populate the national fundraising circuit. Multiple people who spoke to POLITICO said DeSantis lacks what is known in campaign parlance as “donor maintenance”—knowing something about your donors, calling them on their birthdays, sending them a note when their kid graduates from college.

“We would try to tell him you need to call these people other than when you are asking them for money,” said one former campaign aide. “That is a huge maintenance problem. He is just kind of a jerk.”
Not boding well for his chances.

Space Gopher posted:

I don't think DeSantis is going to be the guy, but "everyone has their knives out for him already" doesn't mean he's doomed. Everybody in the 2016 Republican primaries went hard after Trump from the minute he rode down that escalator, and, welp
I mean, my recollection was that you saw a number of candidates going soft on Trump with the desire to pick up his supporters when he flamed out and the hope that he'd knock out their bigger rivals (Cruz, Bush, Rubio) before he did. I'm not sure how much of that is reflected in the narrative at the time though.

fool of sound posted:

Hey fishbot and paracaidas can you please take your local dsa drama argument to pms or something
:tipshat: noted

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1384887094259032064

Gah! Well, that'll do it for the infrastructure plan, this is an uncounterable rhetorical masterstroke.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Hey fishbot and paracaidas can you please take your local dsa drama argument to pms or something

Whoops, noted

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

I mean, my recollection was that you saw a number of candidates going soft on Trump with the desire to pick up his supporters when he flamed out and the hope that he'd knock out their bigger rivals (Cruz, Bush, Rubio) before he did. I'm not sure how much of that is reflected in the narrative at the time though.

The way they tried to knock him out was to say he is right but he is saying it wrong. They all wanted his policy goals, he was just so starkly and transparently bigoted and fascist they didn't realize that it was their base now. Coupled with the free media he was getting, no Republican knew how to actually dislodge him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

"We rise from the ashes" is a badass thing to say on your city flag. Boston's is some bullshit about loving god.

I just like how Detroit invented the Drake no/yes meme 70 years ago

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Space Gopher posted:

I don't think DeSantis is going to be the guy, but "everyone has their knives out for him already" doesn't mean he's doomed. Everybody in the 2016 Republican primaries went hard after Trump from the minute he rode down that escalator, and, welp

Thats true but theres a big time difference between the two. Having knives out for you 3 years ahead of time is probably the textbook definition of peaking too early.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I feel like we never bring up that desantis won his house seat using the same stolen information about Florida that trump got.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Skippy McPants posted:

Not while Florida still exists as a much better target.

Edit: make Florida part of Georgia.

Sell Florida to Cuba (and give Guantanamo Bay as a bonus)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

zoux posted:

Gah! Well, that'll do it for the infrastructure plan, this is an uncounterable rhetorical masterstroke.

Is it really teeing off if he keeps swinging and missing

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Space Gopher posted:

That’s literally the opposite of what happened, though. Trump came down the escalator and literally all his opponents said “this guy’s a clown, there’s no need to give a poo poo about him” and kept going after each other, with a Walker being the first target and then Jeb! after. Even after Trump won NH, Rubio and Christie were still fighting each other more than Trump.

The actual “oh poo poo we need to stop Trump” didn’t come until after Super Tuesday and people dropped to let Cruz be the sole alternate, and it was too late.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some wag on twitter said that the journalistic marveling at DeSantis' political acumen reminds them of all the Scott Walker hype, and I tend to agree.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Some wag on twitter said that the journalistic marveling at DeSantis' political acumen reminds them of all the Scott Walker hype, and I tend to agree.

I mean, clearly the media is trying to set someone up to be the front runner so they know where to direct their attention. DeSantis's media team knows this and they play the national media like a fiddle.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Losing a primary is also very different than losing the general. Your typical low information voter doesn’t give a dB about primaries, but they will absolutely remember who lost the general.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
lol you know what also never builds back never?

never bringing your own bill even when they controlled 2.9999999.......999999999 branches of gov. loving christ you stupid tortoise.

e: reminder that Scott Walker got married on Regans birthday so when he and his wife do the christian ritual of procreation for Jesus, he could think of Regan. also his choice of lunch sandwiches and his bald spot from hitting himself with a hammer.

e2: Christie's Obama hug is going to kill his chances. I hope chuds remember that.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 21, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1384882691838025732?s=21

Smiling like a sociopath.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Slowpoke! posted:

Amazing how running a failed campaign is seen as a positive.

Christie failed to gain traction as a presidential candidate, then he failed to become the VP nominee, then he failed to secure a cabinet position, then he failed to get Trump re-elected. The GOP is going to either run Trump again, or they are going to cut off the diseased wing of the party, which includes Christie (even if he thinks he can distance himself from Trump)

Wait, which wing is the diseased one? Or rather, which is healthy?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I feel like Trump would kill Christie’s campaign on purpose if only because of how much he liked to humiliate him.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Tucker is going to invoke the twinkie defense on air for his college faux pas, calling it now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno, the amount of explaining you'd have to do to get the average American to understand this as a scandal...well it's not a blackface frat party

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

I dunno, the amount of explaining you'd have to do to get the average American to understand this as a scandal...well it's not a blackface frat party

His base is actually going to like it once they have it explained to them. "Tucker founded a society which appreciated a man that shot liberal San Francisco mayor and uppity gay man". Everyone else that cares already thinks he's a jerk.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is he the Swanson frozen dinner heir, or is that the other one?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

He’s the one! Single funniest fact about Tucker. It’s so perfect. A loving TV dinner heir turned into a prep school white supremacist. He is like the distilled story of the American elite.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Swanson!

I'm also a sicko so I'll be interseted to see how Glenn Greenwald ignores this in favor of the greater fascism project they're both working on.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm gonna register as a republican and just scream wildly racist poo poo all the way to the oval.

Kneel peasants

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

He's been wearing those dumb bowties since College? I thought he only wore them on TV to make him stand out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monaghan posted:

He's been wearing those dumb bowties since College? I thought he only wore them on TV to make him stand out.

I think they come in the College Republican Dipshit starter pack with boat shoes and khaki shorts.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

the_steve posted:

It's very good, but now I'm hoping they don't find some way to low-ball the actual sentence.

My expectations are pretty well expressed by this Onion headline, but sometimes I start to get optimistic and feel like something's actually changing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Monaghan posted:

He finally stopped when he got his Fox show.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

DeSantis is a fuckng idiot criminal who has actively killed Floridans with his belligerent dumbass COVID ignoring policies, and then fuckers go there on vacation, catch it and spread it to the states like mine.

I can't believe the media is trying to play up DeSantis as some genius politician and not a loving joke and a negligent killer. Wh as t the actual gently caress is wrong with journalism in this country? :psyduck:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

zoux posted:

What bugs me about this is that it seems likely the GOP will win back the house and possibly the senate in 2022 because voters are loving dumb. They'll psych themselves out into somehow believing their GOP representatives who voted against Covid Relief and Infrastructure actually supported it all along and pull that lever for the Rs. I'm sick of this tribalism stopping us from achieving the necessary progress to put this country back on the right footing. Like the infrastructure bill will probably pass but it'll take years for the effects to be felt. Won't a GOP house/senate in 2022 or 2024 simply repeal everything?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

Won't a GOP house/senate in 2022 or 2024 simply repeal everything?

They would need the Senate, the House, and the Presidency to do this. Possible sure, but even if they get it, as with the ACA repeal, the GOP has shown an inability to do much other than tax cuts via legislation.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
In case any of you were wondering when the next randomly targeted shooting would occur, here you are:
https://twitter.com/KellyRuleTV/status/1384883999802286089

quote:

Investigators said just before 5 a.m. Lian was behind the wheel of a white Toyota Carolla when fired a single gunshot at another vehicle driven by a woman on Route 22 near Cedar Crest Boulevard. The woman was not injured and did not even realize her car had been hit until she pulled into the Wawa on Route 100 and Schantz Road, Martin said.

Lian then pulled into the southside of the Wawa parking lot and shot a man who was sitting inside a Jeep resulting in non-life-threatening injuries, according to detectives.

Investigators say Lian also shot and killed, 31-year-old Ramon Rodriguez, the driver of a tractor who was pumping gas at the station.

Lian then ran from the Wawa and fatally shot himself in the hand and the chest, according to investigators.

loving ban all guns.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, they're utter power hungry ghouls, but part of that is getting re-elected and you can't do that if you start stripping away poo poo people have had for years and enjoy.

Yes, repeal universal pre-K from a people that have gotten used to it and a job market that now runs on the knowledge that folks have it. I loving dare them.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

zoux posted:

Eh, it's pretty easy. "It's a shout-out to a guy who assassinated a famous gay rights activist". Bing bong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol gottem