Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
His costume sucks, his name sucks and he is goofy as gently caress but I enjoyed the Ghost Maker back up in Batman. There seems to be a bit of Morrison in him (thinking tones of Fantomex) and it's all very silly but it was fun and for some reason Tynion can write over confident jerks quite well (as long as he acknowledges that they are jerks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

His costume sucks, his name sucks and he is goofy as gently caress but I enjoyed the Ghost Maker back up in Batman. There seems to be a bit of Morrison in him (thinking tones of Fantomex) and it's all very silly but it was fun and for some reason Tynion can write over confident jerks quite well (as long as he acknowledges that they are jerks)

Ghostmaker is a Batman's level of preptime and skill with Dick's charisma and confidence, and maybe a blend of Jason and Damian's attitude and morals.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Joker is shaping up to be interesting and Issue #2 is more of the same insofar as The Joker really only appears for a few pages because the main story is Jim Gordon and his hunt for the eponymous character. The backup story otoh is dumb and while Bluebird seeing some action is good, I wish she'd be more involved in something that's not related to a Poochie character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay in some good bits, the newest WW issue turned me from "mixed" to "sold." It's just very fun; whether intentionally or not, it feels a lot like the Yara Flor Future State issues, only with Diana subbed in, which is good because Diana deserves to have good fun mythological stories too :colbert:

I also like that there are teases in here about something strange coming soon with Olympus as well, 'cuz I always like it when they deal with Olympus' status quo. It's nice to actually look forward to...uh...literally anything?...from DC right now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Based on the past couple weeks, Flash and Green Lantern (including Far Sector) are doing well. Three titles is pretty strong rep for DC in my pull box.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Okay in some good bits, the newest WW issue turned me from "mixed" to "sold." It's just very fun; whether intentionally or not, it feels a lot like the Yara Flor Future State issues, only with Diana subbed in, which is good because Diana deserves to have good fun mythological stories too :colbert:

I also like that there are teases in here about something strange coming soon with Olympus as well, 'cuz I always like it when they deal with Olympus' status quo. It's nice to actually look forward to...uh...literally anything?...from DC right now.

I'm willing to see where it goes, but I still think it's in general a bad idea for a new creative team to take one of these big properties and yank them out of the setting in a way that's obviously not going to be there for the long haul, at least for the first story. Like if I was writing Action Comics and decided it was about Clark Kent being trapped in Gemworld and basically being Super-Conan, sure it's maybe gonna be cool, but there's always gonna be the niggling feeling of 'when are we getting to the Metropolis factory?'

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

I'm willing to see where it goes, but I still think it's in general a bad idea for a new creative team to take one of these big properties and yank them out of the setting in a way that's obviously not going to be there for the long haul, at least for the first story. Like if I was writing Action Comics and decided it was about Clark Kent being trapped in Gemworld and basically being Super-Conan, sure it's maybe gonna be cool, but there's always gonna be the niggling feeling of 'when are we getting to the Metropolis factory?'

That was called Superman exile

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1382700062741041154?s=21

Who’s ready for more Jason Todd

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am unprepared

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Is Batman in Batman: The Detective supposed to be the Dark Knight or Batfleck? I don't remember the Dark Knight wearing a coat like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dragonshirt posted:

Is Batman in Batman: The Detective supposed to be the Dark Knight or Batfleck? I don't remember the Dark Knight wearing a coat like that.

I kinda think Batman in a coat predated Batfleck, but I can't remember where.

Red Son maybe?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I kinda think Batman in a coat predated Batfleck, but I can't remember where.

Red Son maybe?
Future Damien in Morrison's Batman?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Batman 666 is what I recall

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm thinking Gotham by Gaslight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's definitely a GbG inspired outfit. I kinda like the new Squire and hope we see more of them. As far as Red Hood is going, he's kinda growing on me as a contrast to the rest of the Bat Family. He's like the midway point between Damian's angst and edginess and Dick's jovial heart.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Joshua Williamson is a way better writer than Lobdell at least.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I enjoyed Batman The Detective, if only for more Knight and Squire. Anyone else from the UK read the Knight and Squire series from a while back? I loved the bits that were like UK kids comics like The Beano and The Dandy. I also just got done reading the Grant Morrison Batman omnibuses where he talks about Squire being inspired by the tomboy characters like Minnie the Minx and Beryl the Peril.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

frameset posted:

I enjoyed Batman The Detective, if only for more Knight and Squire. Anyone else from the UK read the Knight and Squire series from a while back? I loved the bits that were like UK kids comics like The Beano and The Dandy. I also just got done reading the Grant Morrison Batman omnibuses where he talks about Squire being inspired by the tomboy characters like Minnie the Minx and Beryl the Peril.

I really do miss the Bat Inc. characters and wish they'd show up more

Speaking of Bat Inc characters, update on that bracket thing. The predictable choices won.

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/your-complete-guide-to-dcs-2021-round-robin-brackets/1517952
New concept art for the Round 2 stories are out too. Voting closed for round 2 yesterday and Round 3 will start in May.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xelkelvos posted:

I really do miss the Bat Inc. characters and wish they'd show up more

Speaking of Bat Inc characters, update on that bracket thing. The predictable choices won.

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/your-complete-guide-to-dcs-2021-round-robin-brackets/1517952
New concept art for the Round 2 stories are out too. Voting closed for round 2 yesterday and Round 3 will start in May.

How does Robins not win this, just based on it being called a "Round Robin"?

Superman and Lois will almost certainly win though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I can't be too disappointed about Nightrunner, putting him up against Blue Beetle it probably could have only ended one way. Alas.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

catlord posted:

I can't be too disappointed about Nightrunner, putting him up against Blue Beetle it probably could have only ended one way. Alas.

same for a lot of those other stories. Zatanna's probably gonna beat GL and Robins are gonna beat Lobo/Animal Man. BB and Jesse Quick are at similar levels of relevance so it's a toss up between them, IMO (though I'd lean towards BB), but either would lose against Suicide Squad or Superman and Lois.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Last weeks Superman apparently had an Ambush Bug back up in it. Anyone read it? Was it any good? Is it to be continued in some other books' back up story? I don't read much DC right now so I don't know how they are handling all these back up stories that seem to be running in a bunch of major titles.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Chip Zdarsky’s Red Hood story in Batman: Urban Legends is actually making me real sympathetic toward the character, and the action is also really good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Chip Zdarsky’s Red Hood story in Batman: Urban Legends is actually making me real sympathetic toward the character, and the action is also really good.

It's definitely a good angle that hasn't been explored well before and makes a lot of sense for him while also not clashing with the rest of his personality

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gently caress you guys for making me curious about a Red Hood Story.

Are they just gonna have Chip Zdarsky redeem all their terrible characters?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Chip went from Howard the Duck, to Spider-Man, to Daredevil (with some Fantastic Four in the middle). He’s still a naturally wacky dude, but he’s proven that he can be serious.

Even without Red Hood, the Batman parts are really well done, and inventive. Taking over car radios, and manipulating street lamps to terrorize criminals was cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If I was gonna say "who could write a Redhood story that made me not hate the character" Zdarsky would be top of my list. I'd rather he wrote characters i don't hate though.

Also he won a loving Eisner either before or while he was writing Howard The Duck.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 20, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think he may have gotten one for Sex Criminals? But you’re probably thinking of his Spectacular Spider-Man Eisner. You can point at that as the “Maybe we should take Chip seriously” moment. I haven’t read his Daredevil yet, but I feel this Red Hood story is a good indication that people haven’t been blowing smoke when they say he writes a good Daredevil.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 20, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think he may have gotten one for Sex Criminals? But you’re probably thinking of his Spectacular Spider-Man Eisner. You can point at that as the “Maybe we should take Chip seriously moment”. I haven’t read his Daredevil yet, but I feel this Red Hood story is a good indication that people haven’t been blowing smoke when they say he writes a good Daredevil.

He got one for the first collection of Sex Criminals (best new series), which started before Howard The Duck, but I don't know if he got the Eisner before the Howard the Duck gig.. People forget it because he does the art, but the writing is listed as "Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky." I mostly started reading it because I love Matt Fraction's writing and when it first came out I just assumed Fraction wrote it and Zdarsky drew it because that's how I (often wrongly) assume most comics work, but since we've gotten a lot more Zdarsky scripts since then, he was, at the very least, doing a lot of collaborating on the script.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Daredevil is the best book at Marvel right now, and it isn't even close.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

No, we still have Immortal Hulk.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

That is still a good one, but while the current stuff is good again it is so much less consistent. Definitely the number two, and I think we can all agree it is the only other title in that conversation.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I stepped into a comic shop after a 20+ year absence when I saw a poster for DC's Dark Nights Death Metal. However, the current Daredevil, Immortal Hulk and Thor books keep me coming back regularly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think under the forum rules we have to say whatever book Vulpes is writing is the best.

But seriously, he writes some really great books like Taskmaster.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The Question IRL posted:

I think under the forum rules we have to say whatever book Vulpes is writing is the best.

But seriously, he writes some really great books like Taskmaster.

Because of stupid alternate covers I picked up Black Cat issue 4 again last week, and I already have issue 4 and I was so mad.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

Because of stupid alternate covers I picked up Black Cat issue 4 again last week, and I already have issue 4 and I was so mad.

Since you have an extra copy, wh not cut up the panels and word ballons and collage them into a new comic?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:neckbeard: Tom Taylor relaunching Superman as a Jon Kent book?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's an instant buy. As long as they do away with this notion of Jon Kent being a possible villain down the road.

EDIT. Wow this cover is rad. Love the suit.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Gaz-L posted:

:neckbeard: Tom Taylor

I'm in.