Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

Skyarb posted:

Any ideas?
Can you change the markup at all?

You could add a wrapper element around your padding-aspect-ratio-ed element with a max-height/max-width.

Or maybe you could add the max-dimension styles to the element itself and move the padding into a ::before pseudo-element?

Ima Computer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If you’re using the padding trick for a 1:1 aspect ratio, max-width is the same as max-height and should do the trick.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

kedo posted:

If you’re using the padding trick for a 1:1 aspect ratio, max-width is the same as max-height and should do the trick.
unless you did something different from what I tired, it didn't work for me. The "height" remained the same. The height of the container that is. So the image had a max-height, but then there was all this whitespace.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
OK, I've been bashing my head against this for way too long and I need help.

I've got a WordPress website with AMP AdSense ad blocks inserted into the posts. Example post here:

https://www.thirtyonewhiskey.com/whiskey-review-blantons-single-barrel-bourbon-whiskey/

When viewing this in a mobile form factor, the AMP ads are too wide for the page and breaks the formatting.

I've tried messing with the CSS for the specific ad blocks, but I'm out of my depth here. Any suggestions?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

foghorn posted:

OK, I've been bashing my head against this for way too long and I need help.

I've got a WordPress website with AMP AdSense ad blocks inserted into the posts. Example post here:

https://www.thirtyonewhiskey.com/whiskey-review-blantons-single-barrel-bourbon-whiskey/

When viewing this in a mobile form factor, the AMP ads are too wide for the page and breaks the formatting.

I've tried messing with the CSS for the specific ad blocks, but I'm out of my depth here. Any suggestions?

Have you tried max-width? That's waht I would try

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Have you tried max-width? That's waht I would try

I am a goddamn idiot.

I swapped from "100vw" to "100em" and it worked.

AMP looks to be a bit strange here -- give it any value other than 100% for that relative element and it freaks out. But if you change the relative value you're using that seems to work.

EDIT: Appreciate the help, Empress Brosephine. Your suggestion sent me down the correct rabbit hole after literal days of bashing my head against this.

foghorn fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 17, 2021

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

unless you did something different from what I tired, it didn't work for me. The "height" remained the same. The height of the container that is. So the image had a max-height, but then there was all this whitespace.

Can you post a JS fiddle or something of the issue? I'm not sure I follow.

e: This is what I'm talking about : https://jsfiddle.net/457wj6by/

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 18, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

been working on a redesign for my neocities site for a while now
it's almost done but i cant seem to get myself to finish it for whatever reason, even though itd be less than 20 minutes of work
bleh

i'd link my site once it's done but i feel like that's a bad idea on SA lmao

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
So I have a site where its layout is pretty much entirely made with desktop in mind. So much so that if I were to design it for mobile, lots of things about hte layout is going to change, and some elements will just straight up have to be altered or hidden. What is a good practice for this? I really don't ever do design for anything other than desktop but want to better understand making something responsive to both.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Skyarb posted:

So I have a site where its layout is pretty much entirely made with desktop in mind. So much so that if I were to design it for mobile, lots of things about hte layout is going to change, and some elements will just straight up have to be altered or hidden. What is a good practice for this? I really don't ever do design for anything other than desktop but want to better understand making something responsive to both.

If you’re designing something new: design it for mobile first, and expand the design for larger screens as needed.

If you’re trying to retrofit an existing site for mobile: haaaa good luck.

If you have analytics on your current or target users you can figure how how many people are visiting on mobile vs desktop. Spoiler alert: the results may shock you. The product I work on is 75% mobile between web and the app, desktop is a distant 2nd. All our designs are built for mobile first. Generally this means: single column vertical layout, hierarchy is very important, make text nice and large and readable, and put complex actions in menus if possible.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 20, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it’s hard to be super generic but it helps to know if any content could be shifted to a modal, slide out panel, or a horizontally scolling/swiping carousel.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
You might want to look into Media Queries to control how parts are displayed on different devices. And if you're not already aware, definitely look into Flexbox and Grids.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think i've said this before but I hate having to migrate e-mail as a contracted web developer. I always tell them "Have your IT people do it!" to which they say "Why cant you do it, its all website!" :/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I just plain stopped doing it years ago. It's not anywhere near my expertise and once you touch a client's email you become Email Tech Support forever. There's so much that can go wrong with a migration and email is so critical to a business that it's dangerous to touch.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ This \/\/\/\/\/\/

kedo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 21, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i refuse to touch email of any kind for any small business. if its a friend and i like them i tell them to sign up for gsuite or fastmail

it's 100% guaranteed to result in some kind of bs where all the email from the people they want to talk to and ancient vendors go straight to spam or trashed completely because the other end is probably trying to send from one of the following:

- ancient vendor with no spf, dkim, ptr, etc
- onprem dynamic cable internet that has all mail ports blocked
- people that use the same email to shill pyramid scheme terminal illness essential oil cures and are banned from every mail system known to humans, and several known to aliens
- 1tb bmp attachments
- malware

and now it's your fault that they aren't getting it and also why did you uninstall my smiley toolbar

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Yes, gently caress email in every way possible.

Unfortunately I happen to be the resident "email expert" at the place I work, so every single time one of our clients has an email issue it gets thrown on me. Today I got the gem of gems.

Customer can't get Thunderbird to send emails, it just hangs at 58% (specifically this percentage), I know that because I got this very helpful image from the customer.

Apparently they've hit reply and tried to send it 10+ times, as witnessed by the clusterfuck in the taskbar. They can't or won't disconnect or reboot the PC because it's somehow integrated with their POS system and if disconnected orders won't come through. They can't or won't upgrade this ancient windows 7 PC because if they change it their POS system will stop working.

At this point I am hellbent on convincing these twats gracious souls to switch to webmail. However their THUNDERBIRD IS SO IMPORTANT.

To add to this mess, I am in EST and they are located nowhere other than... Hawaii, so if I want to actually troubleshoot this other than by email, I will need to do it at some bizarre late afternoon time when I really don't feel like doing this poo poo (not that I feel like doing it anyways).

I'm not even sure why we're doing this, we don't host their site or email. We're a web development company, why are we even getting involved in desktop support?

gently caress My Life. :suicide:

tldr: Don't ever let anyone you work with know you're competent at dkim, spf, dns, etc. etc. or ALL the email problems become your problem.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 21, 2021

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

ModeSix posted:

Yes, gently caress email in every way possible.

Unfortunately I happen to be the resident "email expert" at the place I work, so every single time one of our clients has an email issue it gets thrown on me. Today I got the gem of gems.

Customer can't get Thunderbird to send emails, it just hangs at 58% (specifically this percentage), I know that because I got this very helpful image from the customer.

Apparently they've hit reply and tried to send it 10+ times, as witnessed by the clusterfuck in the taskbar. They can't or won't disconnect or reboot the PC because it's somehow integrated with their POS system and if disconnected orders won't come through. They can't or won't upgrade this ancient windows 7 PC because if they change it their POS system will stop working.

At this point I am hellbent on convincing these twats gracious souls to switch to webmail. However their THUNDERBIRD IS SO IMPORTANT.

To add to this mess, I am in EST and they are located nowhere other than... Hawaii, so if I want to actually troubleshoot this other than by email, I will need to do it at some bizarre late afternoon time when I really don't feel like doing this poo poo (not that I feel like doing it anyways).

I'm not even sure why we're doing this, we don't host their site or email. We're a web development company, why are we even getting involved in desktop support?

gently caress My Life. :suicide:

tldr: Don't ever let anyone you work with know you're competent at dkim, spf, dns, etc. etc. or ALL the email problems become your problem.

i thought all the people who still used thick email clients were dead or in nursing homes? i feel like i last used one in the 1990's.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Speaking of email, any suggestions for frameworks to make developing them easier? I'm looking at:

https://mjml.io
https://maizzle.com

Maizzle seems interesting because it uses tailwind, which I've recently fallen in love with. I hate making HTML emails for sites, so I'm looking something to ease it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Violator posted:

Speaking of email, any suggestions for frameworks to make developing them easier? I'm looking at:

https://mjml.io
https://maizzle.com

Maizzle seems interesting because it uses tailwind, which I've recently fallen in love with. I hate making HTML emails for sites, so I'm looking something to ease it.

Maizzle looks really good (I also love tailwind) but this

quote:

Maizzle doesn't include markup abstractions that expand to table-based structures, such as <row> or <column> in other frameworks.
is a deal breaker. That's the worst part of coding emails, not the css.

I've been using mjml lately and it works great.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lunar detritus posted:

:same:

Violator
May 15, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

Maizzle looks really good (I also love tailwind) but this

is a deal breaker. That's the worst part of coding emails, not the css.

Ah, good catch. Mjml it is!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Email is terrible, why do you all keep touching it?! I swear, whenever one of my projects wraps up, the design/dev shop I'm working with inevitably says, "it was good working with you on that project, but do you code HTML emails and if so can you code these 30 we have waiting in our backlog?" Yes I can, but I won't. Because it's miserable and I hate it! And so does everyone else, that's why you can't get anyone to code them for you!

In unrelated news, I have a client whose favorite thing to do is to send me an extremely cropped image of some random error on their site (like, one glyph in a sentence is replaced with a ▯, but the screenshot shows ONLY the glyph and nothing else), no URL where I can find the error, no browser information, nothing. Just the image as an attachment on an email with an empty body and the subject line, "Thoughts?"

I get at least one of these emails per week. 99% of the bugs have been user error.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to help a company streamline their website production. My problem is that since I've been a solo freelancer for about 15 years, I have no experience with corporate web shop stuff, and I'm the most experienced developer this company has worked with. Can anyone share some tips? Things such as:

• Design standards; what requirements do companies give developers? I know major companies have style guides for writing CSS/SASS, Javascript, etc. This company works mostly with Wordpress, so I've already compiled a list of Do Not Use plugins.
  • How does your company prefer to get content from clients? And is there a way the content is handed off to developers so that everything is uniform and easy to understand? Are H1, H2, etc. pointed out?
  • Pricing structures. This stuff is hard to find, companies other than the template places such as Wix and Squarespace don't really advertise their pricing for sites (because they can't compete with the template service sites).
  • How to deal with clients dragging their feet on completing projects, whether not providing content or giving approval to launch?
  • Any other details or suggestions are welcome!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

I'm looking to help a company streamline their website production. My problem is that since I've been a solo freelancer for about 15 years, I have no experience with corporate web shop stuff, and I'm the most experienced developer this company has worked with. Can anyone share some tips? Things such as:

• Design standards; what requirements do companies give developers? I know major companies have style guides for writing CSS/SASS, Javascript, etc. This company works mostly with Wordpress, so I've already compiled a list of Do Not Use plugins.
  • How does your company prefer to get content from clients? And is there a way the content is handed off to developers so that everything is uniform and easy to understand? Are H1, H2, etc. pointed out?
  • Pricing structures. This stuff is hard to find, companies other than the template places such as Wix and Squarespace don't really advertise their pricing for sites (because they can't compete with the template service sites).
  • How to deal with clients dragging their feet on completing projects, whether not providing content or giving approval to launch?
  • Any other details or suggestions are welcome!

From past experience, freelanced, solo, non-corporate shop for non-technical very large content creators:

- If they have nothing at all, like totally brand new, I usually recommend Google's: https://google.github.io/styleguide/htmlcssguide.html and for JS, defaults https://eslint.org/, if you are a high impact target that will be subject to many compromise attempts, skip WP completely and use a static site gen

- In theory, teach them to commit markdown files or send you markdown. In practice, you will get a message at 4:20 am from them on Discord while their status says "playing VALORANT for 8 hours" stating that [badly formatted, typoed blob of text obviously written on their phone] needs to be up today. This varies too. If it's a small business and they are only competent in MS Word just have them attach a file or pdf or paste into an email. If it's a gamer or really anyone under 30 you can probably get away with "just write markdown like you're on reddit or discord" and they will understand and give you a perfectly formatted document

- This varies wildly and will be subject to you. I lived in a place where a studio is $5k/m and can't charge $10 a month for a template builder

- "If you do not refuse, this will automatically be posted x date and you will be invoiced" with contract requirements and fines

- Depending on size or professional-ness (I was dealing with 10-20m subscriber youtubers), don't be surprised if they ask you where to pirate windows on a sunday in the middle of the night

Impotence fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 21, 2021

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

For JS and CSS, replace the fiddly how-to-format-code bits of a style guide with just using Prettier instead. Set up dev pipelines so that it automatically runs everywhere, and make everyone set up their editors with Prettier plugins that auto-run on save. It'll get you "good enough" code formatting that's generally readable by everybody, and now nobody ever has to think about the fine details of laying out their code again.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i thought all the people who still used thick email clients were dead or in nursing homes? i feel like i last used one in the 1990's.

I am still using Thunderbird for my personal email, even if it is a gmail account and I could use it in the browser. But why would I bother? Thunderbird, at least for me, (obviously not that guy from Hawaii) works just fine. I see no reason to change. What would the browser version provide that Thunderbird doesn't? I probably should be heading to a nursing home ...

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Volguus posted:

I am still using Thunderbird for my personal email, even if it is a gmail account and I could use it in the browser. But why would I bother? Thunderbird, at least for me, (obviously not that guy from Hawaii) works just fine. I see no reason to change. What would the browser version provide that Thunderbird doesn't? I probably should be heading to a nursing home ...

I imagine there are certain features that thunderbird does that I couldn't get by just opening a browser window.

I don't use any of those features - I can do everything in the browser that I would want to do (and hell, stuff like searching my email etc. is a ton faster than I remember it being when I used thick email clients.) The whole having to install a third party app and launch it seems like much more work than a bookmark. I don't think every app should be in the browser, but email is fine as a browser app.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Volguus posted:

Well in the case of this particular client, the one feature they could get by using their browser is their emails would actually send. Other than that I see no issue in using whatever email client you want to.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I imagine there are certain features that thunderbird does that I couldn't get by just opening a browser window.

I don't use any of those features - I can do everything in the browser that I would want to do (and hell, stuff like searching my email etc. is a ton faster than I remember it being when I used thick email clients.) The whole having to install a third party app and launch it seems like much more work than a bookmark. I don't think every app should be in the browser, but email is fine as a browser app.

I'm the exact opposite: I wouldn't use the browser version of an app, even if it would have more features, if there is a desktop version which has the features that I need. Electron apps are a bummer for sure, but ... oh well, that's the new way.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Volguus posted:

I'm the exact opposite: I wouldn't use the browser version of an app, even if it would have more features, if there is a desktop version which has the features that I need. Electron apps are a bummer for sure, but ... oh well, that's the new way.

For whatever reason, email seems to be the one difference. Fastmail or GSuite's search in webmail is orders of magnitude faster than anything I've ever used on a desktop client

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ModeSix posted:

I say this literally every day! I'm not sure why email has never caught on as a business critical separate service like websites. Having working email is way more important than most websites. It's the same reason web developers generally don't setup point of sale systems.

kedo posted:

Email is terrible, why do you all keep touching it?! I swear, whenever one of my projects wraps up, the design/dev shop I'm working with inevitably says, "it was good working with you on that project, but do you code HTML emails and if so can you code these 30 we have waiting in our backlog?" Yes I can, but I won't. Because it's miserable and I hate it! And so does everyone else, that's why you can't get anyone to code them for you!

From my experience this usually happens because sales/someone higher up than me says "this client spends X elsewhere and we want to keep them happy so can you help them out with this email thing?".

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it used to be always included with sites back in the days but I get asked to do it all the time. Like I said earlier I tell them to talk to their IT people, but technology is still in that area were people don't want to pay for it unless essential :/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I'm not about to volunteer to do DNS for them either.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Data Graham posted:

I mean I'm not about to volunteer to do DNS for them either.

Ugh, I always end up making the DNS changes for our clients. I'd say 50% don't even know who their domain registrar is, I always have to walk them through the whole 'who have you been paying?' process.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah same , but I don't mind dns most of the time. I rather not though lol.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

From past experience, freelanced, solo, non-corporate shop for non-technical very large content creators:

- If they have nothing at all, like totally brand new, I usually recommend Google's: https://google.github.io/styleguide/htmlcssguide.html and for JS, defaults https://eslint.org/, if you are a high impact target that will be subject to many compromise attempts, skip WP completely and use a static site gen

- In theory, teach them to commit markdown files or send you markdown. In practice, you will get a message at 4:20 am from them on Discord while their status says "playing VALORANT for 8 hours" stating that [badly formatted, typoed blob of text obviously written on their phone] needs to be up today. This varies too. If it's a small business and they are only competent in MS Word just have them attach a file or pdf or paste into an email. If it's a gamer or really anyone under 30 you can probably get away with "just write markdown like you're on reddit or discord" and they will understand and give you a perfectly formatted document

- This varies wildly and will be subject to you. I lived in a place where a studio is $5k/m and can't charge $10 a month for a template builder

- "If you do not refuse, this will automatically be posted x date and you will be invoiced" with contract requirements and fines

- Depending on size or professional-ness (I was dealing with 10-20m subscriber youtubers), don't be surprised if they ask you where to pirate windows on a sunday in the middle of the night

They rely on and trained all their employees on Wordpress's suite of SEO plugins, there's no turning back now. Most of the clients are plumbers, contractors, etc. so they won't know what markdown was. But the content is sent to a coordinator and then organized and sent to developers, so markdown might be worth looking into for them.

frogbs posted:

Ugh, I always end up making the DNS changes for our clients. I'd say 50% don't even know who their domain registrar is, I always have to walk them through the whole 'who have you been paying?' process.

"I don't know, my last designer set that up for me. Did I mention I hired you because it was some college kid and he stopped responding to any emails?"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

They rely on and trained all their employees on Wordpress's suite of SEO plugins,

words cannot describe how much i loving despise the commercial wordpress plugin/theme industry, from backdoors, hidden curl_open crap to phone home to the mass of self-serving spam they add to your install

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

words cannot describe how much i loving despise the commercial wordpress plugin/theme industry, from backdoors, hidden curl_open crap to phone home to the mass of self-serving spam they add to your install

I would love to abandon PHP and Wordpress and code in React, those sites are lightning fast. I don't know my way around the whole ecosystem there to find, like, a replacement for Woocommerce, a way to do forms, etc. Since they're an SEO company firstly they wouldn't know what to do if someone couldn't go in and update meta tags and whatever SEO stuff they do after I've finished design and code.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

I would love to abandon PHP and Wordpress and code in React, those sites are lightning fast.
Wasn’t Gutenberg supposed to enable this for WordPress websites? Did that benefit never materialize? lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

I would love to code in React, those sites are lightning fast.

lmao