Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

owl_pellet posted:

So what would be more embarrassing than a tactical spear?

Tactical halberd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

owl_pellet posted:

So what would be more embarrassing than a tactical spear?
Anime spear

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tactical Sarissa.

You can’t even use it by itself

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Went to vegas and did well at the poker tables. Walked into the music shop right when their big weekend sale started and they had a Gibson LP discounted by quite a bit, maybe even less than used, and the finish I wanted so I was able to make it happen with the circumstances.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tactical Sarissa.

You can’t even use it by itself
Tactical harissa for your MREs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ChocNitty posted:

Went to vegas and did well at the poker tables. Walked into the music shop right when their big weekend sale started and they had a Gibson LP discounted by quite a bit, maybe even less than used, and the finish I wanted so I was able to make it happen with the circumstances.

I hate LPs but that's a beauuutiful top. Grats on the find!

got a 35" curved 21:9 monitor to replace my old worn out monitors. Can't wait to hook the switch up to this too and play SNES games on it :v:

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Apr 20, 2021

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I hate LPs but that's a beauuutiful top. Grats on the find!

got a 35" curved 21:9 monitor to replace my old worn out monitors. Can't wait to hook the switch up to this too and play SNES games on it :v:

Watch the new Justice League on it :twisted:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I watched it on a 65" 4k and all 30 inches of the 4:3 crop looked like jello with garbage in it

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I watched it on a 65" 4k and all 30 inches of the 4:3 crop looked like jello with garbage in it

Don't watch Godzilla vs kong then, it makes justice league look great in comparison

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ChocNitty posted:

I love every bit of this, and that finish is just fabulous!

Just don’t let it wind up in a pawn shop next time you’re back in vegas :D

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mobby_6kl posted:

You know you now have to go and hunt a wild boar with that spear, as is tradition.

I was gonna say, isn't that the same model that psychopath Bushman from GBS used to kill wild pigs under infrared light?

I shouldn't talk, more than a year ago I bought one of these, which I was thoroughly embarrassed to own when I saw that some CHUD in Texas tried to 'defend a business from looters' using the very same model and ended up on the news beaten to a pulp by skateboards. Mine never leaves the house. The crazy thing about Cold Steel knives is how sharp they come straight out of the box.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inzombiac posted:

Umm, Amazon has informed me that I got drunk over the weekend and bought a spear.

A while back I woke up on Saturday to find I'd considered ordering a bardiche, but opted not to because the type of steel didn't meet drunk me's standards. Like, I had amazon open in one tab, and the wikipedia page for the steel type in another.

As for actual purchases: a pair of bulbs for my brake lights. A kind soul followed me into a parking lot to let me know both lights were out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We posting drunk purchases? I ordered some vinyl for the first time the other night, I have nothing to play them on and have never used a record player. I think I just missed the days of buying music and getting something to look at.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Apr 21, 2021

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oh my, well you've just fell down a huge rabbit hole. There's deffo a thread here somewhere on which turntable to buy, but I'm pretty certain the advice is don't start with anything less than like an AT-LP60 or equivalent, and an AT-LP120 or better if you can afford it. Other brands are available. Have fun.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Man, imagine buying a spear instead of just duct taping a kitchen knife to a stick like a normal person.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Inzombiac posted:

Umm, Amazon has informed me that I got drunk over the weekend and bought a spear.

Drunk me used to check the "this is a gift" box. Always nice to open a mystery Amazon box with a "enjoy the gift! from drunk Jeeves"

Then I am reminded that drunk Jeeves used my card to order the gift and I get mad at him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

JEEVES420 posted:

Drunk me used to check the "this is a gift" box. Always nice to open a mystery Amazon box with a "enjoy the gift! from drunk Jeeves"

Then I am reminded that drunk Jeeves used my card to order the gift and I get mad at him.

I kinda want to set up a bot that buys me anything under $30 twice a month and see what happens.

Inzombiac posted:

Now that I have land, I bought a machete and a spear.

Can't wait to cut off my own stupid head!

Aw poo poo, I was going back through and actually told everyone about the spear when I was drunk. The machete is very normal and will be used to kill the gently caress out of some blackberry bushes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

I was gonna say, isn't that the same model that psychopath Bushman from GBS used to kill wild pigs under infrared light?

I shouldn't talk, more than a year ago I bought one of these, which I was thoroughly embarrassed to own when I saw that some CHUD in Texas tried to 'defend a business from looters' using the very same model and ended up on the news beaten to a pulp by skateboards. Mine never leaves the house. The crazy thing about Cold Steel knives is how sharp they come straight out of the box.

I doubt it's then same model, but "I bought a spear" is something I hear so rarely, I immediately thought of our friend Bushman

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are those digital watches people are posting vintage, or current models made to look old-fashioned?

I was fascinated by them in the late seventies, and by the LED watches that preceded them but ate so much battery you had to press a button just to activate the display.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always wanted some Casio G Shock goodness when I was a kid but being a poor I was stuck with Armitron bullshit.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Dick Trauma posted:

Are those digital watches people are posting vintage, or current models made to look old-fashioned?

I was fascinated by them in the late seventies, and by the LED watches that preceded them but ate so much battery you had to press a button just to activate the display.

Current models. Not exactly super recent but I got this guy a month ago or so:

Lol, just realized my date is set wrong

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

mobby_6kl posted:

You know you now have to go and hunt a wild boar with that spear, as is tradition.

I ain't no expert on the matter of boar hunting as I've never been, but from checkin out boar spears, that one does not look a good option. The cross guard is barely wider than the blade, and flares to a point and immediately tapers, so it's not gonna be a very effective stop

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ReidRansom posted:

Oh my, well you've just fell down a huge rabbit hole. There's deffo a thread here somewhere on which turntable to buy, but I'm pretty certain the advice is don't start with anything less than like an AT-LP60 or equivalent, and an AT-LP120 or better if you can afford it. Other brands are available. Have fun.

Found and consulted the thread. Bought the 120, picking it up today.

Gonna do speakers next
:retrogames:

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Rolo posted:

We posting drunk purchases? I ordered some vinyl for the first time the other night, I have nothing to play them on and have never used a record player. I think I just missed the days of buying music and getting something to look at.

I was eyeing the last one on this lineup! Don't know if I should, I generally only listen to vinyls to set the mood when I'm unwinding at night. Good rule of thumb: don't buy a record if you don't expect to play it in its entirety once every month or so.

ReidRansom posted:

I probably should have gotten advice on that thread, but I got my start with a Victrola 8-in-1, and I highly recommend it for a budget option with a lot of functions. Don't get the accompanying stand though, it's perilously wobbly.

DO get an storage solution as soon as possible. I can't stress this enough. I damaged the sleeve on my oldest and favorite record by keeping it in a too-small bookshelf. One day it got jostled from its vertical position and on the way down, the friction from the top of the frame... gave the sleeve some character. At least that's what I tell myself :(

but on to actual purchase-posting:

DJ GIRL - SLSK TRAX

quote:

DJ GIRL’s latest EP on Planet Euphorique “Slsk Trax” shows us how it’s done with four head-turning techno-transanthems, bass bins bursting at the seams with fast & furious innovative aural onslaught.

I was pleasantly surprised the folks at phase_SPACE gave me access to a vinyl that, as far as I know, only got distributed in small quantities. Good stuff, I'll be playing it every time I work out.

Frog of Earth - Frog of Earth

quote:

The humble Frog of Earth ponders nothing as it watches its world unfold. Surprised with a sprinkling of rain the Frog quickly becomes overwhelmed and we hear the bubbling of its brain. As the shower passes, the Frog settles into a stupefied calmness and we can hear the swirling water rushing by and the clarity of the air. As panicking birds swoop and flutter around, the Frog is overcome by a fascination and an acceptance of its world. However, as a screeching train approaches and roars by, the Frog is taken from its acceptance and inverted into a world of denial and confusion where faint questions of how and why have seemingly no answer. But as the sun beams out from behind the clouds, the quiet drone of a bee goes by and the Frog, seeing its own glistening reflection, deftly lets go of its questions, and the need of any answers.

Weird and experimental ambient with nature sounds. Love this one. Good if you want close your eyes and Become Frog

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Gonna do speakers next

If you're not getting a Clearaudio Statement V2 turntable then you hate your ears and music too I guess.

https://www.paragonsns.com/products/clearaudio-statement-v2-turntable

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I feel like that’s a trap and they just send a guillotine to your house.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I feel like that’s a trap and they just send a guillotine to your house.

But I bet it's a loving nice guillotine

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I could go for a guillotine

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Vinyl is a hipster affectation

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If any vinyl enthusiast says you HAVE to have something, it's pretty safe to ignore them.

I collect a bit and can tell you that vinyl nutjobs and gun fetishists share a lot of traits.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rolo posted:

Gonna do speakers next

Excellent choice. It's a solid turntable that should really last you for years and years unless you get the bug and go crazy.

catgirlgenius posted:

... Good rule of thumb: don't buy a record if you don't expect to play it in its entirety once every month or so.

My wife and I have 448 records in our collection at the moment. :|

I mean, sure, there's stuff you go to pretty regularly, but like, some stuff you just buy because you might play it once a year and it's cheap. I just picked up Soft Sounds of the South Seas vols. 1, 3, and 4 after we picked vol. 2 at a thrift store some time back and liked it so much for Saturday afternoon cocktails on the deck that we needed the rest of the collection for tiki days.

And then you end up stuffing your luggage with records you found at a Parisian flea market or an independent record shop in some Tokyo suburb while you're traveling and then you have a problem and end up with 500 records you can't regularly listen to.

e: maybe that is good advice

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Apr 21, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like vinyls just because the album art is nice and big.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I only buy records that come in fun colors, because they're pretty.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Inzombiac posted:

If any vinyl enthusiast says you HAVE to have something, it's pretty safe to ignore them.

I mean, you should probably have one of those velvet or anti-static dust brushes but that's about it.

Vinyl is great fun, but please don't fall down that 'it's better quality' rabbit hole of nonsense, down there lies only snake oil salesmen, rapidly diminishing returns, and pretentiousness. The only legitimate reasons (and don't get me wrong, they're good reasons) to get into vinyl are that you like the tangible and sensory experience, the collectability, the large-format artwork and liner notes, and maybe a slightly warmer sound. Even that pleasing 'warmth' is often mistakenly correlated with fidelity when it's actually distortion. And buzz phrases like 'listen to waves not staircases' are the territory of wilfully ignorant types who refuse to participate in double-blind tests.

If I had the space for a real vinyl collection and a proper tube amp, I'd have kept my Dad's entire collection. Instead (because every part of the signal chain between my Technics 1200s and my monitors has a DAC in it), my collection is two modest milk crates; one of Prog- and Psychedelic-Rock and the other mostly Drum & Bass hits. It can be an addicting hobby though. Enjoy it, just don't get too insufferable about it.

ReidRansom posted:

My wife and I have 448 records in our collection at the moment. :|

This is Skratch Bastid, a local DJ and producer. He's in front of part of his 60,000-record collection.

I have no idea how people do it with libraries that big. My digital library is approaching 100,000 songs and I have trouble staying on top of cataloguing it.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Apr 21, 2021

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

A local independent radio station plays a lot of vinyl and I would love to see their collections because they rarely repeat.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

catgirlgenius posted:

but on to actual purchase-posting:

DJ GIRL - SLSK TRAX

I'm getting strong autechre/photek vibes from this

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

A $15 off coupon showed up on the amazon page for this tonight so I finally caved and ordered it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

A $15 off coupon showed up on the amazon page for this tonight so I finally caved and ordered it.

sweet

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
-snip-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I love vinyl even if I don't listen to my collection often enough. It definitely is the tangibility and the imperfection. And yeah, anyone who says digital is bad is full of poo poo because above the nyquist rate, you literally cannot tell the difference. Audiophile poo poo is extra hilarious when you're an EE.

Music related, I haven't done it yet, but GAS has a hold of me, I'm lookin at different basses again...