Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Dante80 posted:

2016 and yes, drones have become a lot better now.

That's what I get for not checking the source. I still would have expected better in 2016, but yeah the smaller drone problem really kicked off after 2014 ish, so 2016 they were still probably getting used to how to handle these things

It is a drone, not ideal to shoot down enemy hardware, but if it's literally flying in the CVN's airspace I would be surprised if they didn't knock it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Do you ever post anything that isn't "the GOP is going to win <insert upcoming election here> in a landslide"? NYC is not going to vote for a loving Republican.

He's forum-banned from D&D already for right-wing trolling, so I think the answer to your question is not a complex one. I assume a mod will be along shortly to bipartisan applause.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

It was the tragedy of the commons playing out live in front of us. If the moderate/business wing of the party had winnowed down to even just two candidates prior to New Hampshire or South Carolina, one of them would likely have won (definitely if there was only one moderate/business wing), with Cruz a weak third, and Super Tuesday would have been a fight.

But that would involve the five assholes fighting for that role to step back and let someone else have that role, and you don't run for President if you're the kind of person who looks at having 5% in a popularity poll and thinks maybe you don't have a chance. It was more important to each of them to still be in the fight for that one role than to make sure that Trump didn't lead the party.

I agree, and I'd argue that it was roughly parallel to the 2020 Democratic primary, in which there were several people splitting the moderate/business base of voters and donors, giving Bernie the lead - except the Democrats had Obama to sort things out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Angry Bum posted:

And yet he's growing a large following of supporters in New York City of all places. Him and Greg Abbott are considered to be the TRUE heroes of Covid because they didn't shut down their entire state. That's how badly DeBlasio and Cuomo messed up. The rest of the state Democrats haven't fared better either. Though the upstate parts are doing well, NYC and it's surrounding counties have been thoroughly beaten down with unnecessary restrictions by Cuomo, like he has something against the part of NY that actually votes Democratic and put him into office. No way any Democrat wins mayor of NYC in this environment and don't be surprised if the Governorship and state assemblies follow suit going solid Republican.

Is our governor Greg Abbott, the guy whose state froze to death in February because his dumbass "no regulations" beliefs meant not making power companies spend piddly amounts winterizing after multiple failures in smaller storms, really a hero in New York

If true drat yall are dumb as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

To be fair the dumbass no regulations policy was started in '99

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I agree, and I'd argue that it was roughly parallel to the 2020 Democratic primary, in which there were several people splitting the moderate/business base of voters and donors, giving Bernie the lead - except the Democrats had Obama to sort things out.

How did Obama stop Bernie's lead? Is this some alt-history 2016 stuff? Also even if Obama somehow engineered Biden's win (he didn't he barely was involved and people saying he got Pete etc to drop are wrong on their timing) I highly doubt Trump would be willing to do the same as that would not benefit him in the slightest?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Orthanc6 posted:

That's... very surprising. I realize drones can be tiny, but we've known for years now that drones of any size can be used for reconnaissance and attack. And heck, airports have developed a bunch of methods for getting rid of drones in their airspace. Keeping the airspace directly above a CVN clear of enemy aircraft of any size should be top priority, I think a lot of people dropped the ball on this one.

Weird world where a toy from Best Buy can interfere with operation of a state-of-the-art, multi-billion USD war machine.

if this really was a consumer drone from bestbuy or whatever, the military, airports, cops can all broadcast a signal that tells the drone to either land now, or fly back to its start point and land.

airports might also have a bird of prey expert with a trained attack bird attack the drone.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rare good news.

But, now we're a month away from seeing how many people will absolutely refuse to be vaccinated no matter the consequences. My faith in the the remaining holdouts is not high.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1384927440888373249
https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1384927062704656386
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1384930007324184582

That's pretty impressive and we've certainly not plateaued yet. Here in NC, we're still 2 weeks away from the point where the vast majority of people will be able to start getting 2nd doses. It will be interesting to see when the plateau does happen though.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

if this really was a consumer drone from bestbuy or whatever, the military, airports, cops can all broadcast a signal that tells the drone to either land now, or fly back to its start point and land.

airports might also have a bird of prey expert with a trained attack bird attack the drone.

In hindsight, given how far away fleets usually sail and how fast they move, it probably is a dedicated Iranian military drone in order to have the range and speed to keep up. But thing probably isn't too much bigger than an off-the-shelf drone, just going by the fact that it managed to get this close.

Also, giving Falconers an entirely new purpose in the modern world is kind of the best.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

That's pretty impressive and we've certainly not plateaued yet. Here in NC, we're still 2 weeks away from the point where the vast majority of people will be able to start getting 2nd doses. It will be interesting to see when the plateau does happen though.

The availability here in NC is pretty good, me and like a dozen friends all were able to get appointments nearly instantly in the past week it seems to be just about everywhere if you really want it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Orthanc6 posted:

In hindsight, given how far away fleets usually sail and how fast they move, it probably is a dedicated Iranian military drone in order to have the range and speed to keep up. But thing probably isn't too much bigger than an off-the-shelf drone, just going by the fact that it managed to get this close.

its probably a pretty big drone given that it is moving faster than the carrier, itself moving at speed, and the jerky camera movements indicate the camera is zoomed in pretty far thus the drone is probably pretty high up

military observation drones, especially ones which go more than a dozen miles out to sea, tend to be the size of small aircraft and not just the cheapo things you buy for kids

e: found a pic of a common iranian observation drone with people for scale

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 21, 2021

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

How did Obama stop Bernie's lead? Is this some alt-history 2016 stuff? Also even if Obama somehow engineered Biden's win (he didn't he barely was involved and people saying he got Pete etc to drop are wrong on their timing) I highly doubt Trump would be willing to do the same as that would not benefit him in the slightest?

Also, one important difference is that Trump was able to solidify his lead because of the GOP primary's winner-take-all rule. Bernie's lead was more tenuous because of the proportional allocation rules in the Dem primary. Even if Pete and Amy had stayed in past Super Tuesday, it's not clear that Bernie would have ended up with the most delegates

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

They just need a Russian larper with a spear

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/1384942337395249155

This oughta be good

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The GOP fiscal equivalent to "the next six months" is apparently "$600 billion". Let's see if they're that predictable.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It'll be roads and highways and nothing else, and probably some measure that anybody spending money on things not for cars be thrown in gitmo

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

So far it’s actually a national achievement to be proud of. Quite possibly even exceptional.

The fear is that it peters out before we hit the thresholds for herd immunity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It'll be the Trump plan of giving a bunch of tax cuts to corporations and asking nicely that they please spend the surplus on infrastructure

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rust Martialis posted:

The GOP fiscal equivalent to "the next six months" is apparently "$600 billion". Let's see if they're that predictable.

I bet they'll suggest a bit over $1 trillion, paid for with some sort of tax cuts, and definitely no social programs whatsoever. Also I bet no climate change whatsoever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

To be fair the dumbass no regulations policy was started in '99

I mean yea but he's been governor for six years, he owns it now. Also I said "beliefs", not policy, he didn't start the policy but he agrees with it.

and it's not like he is trying to fix the problem, he blamed the outages on wind power and AOC

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How are u posted:

I bet they'll suggest a bit over $1 trillion, paid for with some sort of tax cuts, and definitely no social programs whatsoever. Also I bet no climate change whatsoever.

Still, getting the GOP to propose a trillion in spending represents a tectonic shift in Capitol dynamics compared to the past, uh, 40 years.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

zoux posted:

Still, getting the GOP to propose a trillion in spending represents a tectonic shift in Capitol dynamics compared to the past, uh, 40 years.

except if biden said 'great, we're going to use this plan word for word' they still wouldn't vote for it. its smoke and mirrors.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is the infrastructure plan to pass it through reconcilliation because I really want those student loan reforms to come into being.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Is the infrastructure plan to pass it through reconcilliation because I really want those student loan reforms to come into being.

Probably, unless you magically get 10 Republicans to go along with a bill that doesn't suck complete rear end

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

It'll be roads and highways and nothing else, and probably some measure that anybody spending money on things not for cars be thrown in gitmo

I'm betting they never reveal anything because they can't agree on anything, same reason they kept putting off Infrastructure Week for 4 years

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

I was under the impression that he got Pete etc to drop out. I guess I was misinformed.

I wasn't saying Trump would ever do what Obama did - I was saying Trump succeeded in 2016 because the GOP's moderate/business wing didn't have an Obama to coordinate their efforts.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's gonna be walls.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I was under the impression that he got Pete etc to drop out. I guess I was misinformed.

I wasn't saying Trump would ever do what Obama did - I was saying Trump succeeded in 2016 because the GOP's moderate/business wing didn't have an Obama to coordinate their efforts.

What happened was Pete dropped out first, presumably of his own volition, and Obama called him afterward and implied he should endorse Biden. Which Pete was probably going to do anyway, it's not as if he would have backed Bernie

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

it will repeal the reconciliation procedure

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

again, its not a real bill. the republican party will not even vote their own bill. it is solely a messaging play for them to say "we tried!" because biden is no longer gullible enough to believe that he can negotiate to win republican votes. if biden supported the republican bill 100% as written they would find another obstacle and move the goal posts again.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

It's gonna be walls.

evilweasel posted:

it will repeal the reconciliation procedure

The thing about all these joke answers is that I genuinely see them happening. If the GOP doesn't try for an insane beyond-the-pale proposal, it's more likely they just didn't think to include one, as opposed to having the idea but also the good sense to not include it.

e:

Owlspiracy posted:

again, its not a real bill. the republican party will not even vote their own bill. it is solely a messaging play for them to say "we tried!" because biden is no longer gullible enough to believe that he can negotiate to win republican votes. if biden supported the republican bill 100% as written they would find another obstacle and move the goal posts again.

But actually, this.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

It's this. Also some bridges because they're roads, but no dams that aren't also roads.

Doctor Butts posted:

It's gonna be walls.

And this.

Plus it will ban defunding police, ban abortion, and make funding trans anything illegal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder if Republicans learned their lesson by offering only something that's pitifully not enough. If they do promise 1 trillion$ I think if its clean and has no poison pills its worth considering to be able to pass via regular order no?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Merrick Garland is ordering a broad DOJ investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department. Seizing records, personnel files, and seeking testimony.

If they find a pattern of abuse, then they will seek civil damages and enter into a consent decree where the DOJ will manage the department's policies and oversight.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1384862624660217858

America really dodged a bullet by not electing Trump to a second term eh, Merrick Garland was actually a drat good choice it seems.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if Republicans learned their lesson by offering only something that's pitifully not enough. If they do promise 1 trillion$ I think if its clean and has no poison pills its worth considering to be able to pass via regular order no?

America really dodged a bullet by not electing Trump to a second term eh, Merrick Garland was actually a drat good choice it seems.

the bill will never pass. it is not real. how gullible are you to even ask this.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

"maybe this time they'll let me kick the football!"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Owlspiracy posted:

the bill will never pass. it is not real. how gullible are you to even ask this.

Why wouldn't it if 10 Republicans agree to vote for it?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, but honestly getting "Actual Dominionist Empire Seeker William Barr" out of that AG chair was a loving imperative if this country was to survive at all.

I think Garland will also go after domestic terrorist/ white supremacists hard given his history.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/WSJForero/status/1384842729125974017

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Just ban beef and soy importation from Brazil, problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Angry Bum posted:

And yet he's growing a large following of supporters in New York City of all places. Him and Greg Abbott are considered to be the TRUE heroes of Covid because they didn't shut down their entire state. That's how badly DeBlasio and Cuomo messed up. The rest of the state Democrats haven't fared better either. Though the upstate parts are doing well, NYC and it's surrounding counties have been thoroughly beaten down with unnecessary restrictions by Cuomo, like he has something against the part of NY that actually votes Democratic and put him into office. No way any Democrat wins mayor of NYC in this environment and don't be surprised if the Governorship and state assemblies follow suit going solid Republican.

This is one of the most removed from reality posts I’ve read in a long time.