Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I fully expect that Levar Burton will be the best by a mile, and that people are going to go insane when he doesn't get the permanent job, because of course he's not going to get it. They're looking for a long term host and LeVar Burton is already 65 or so. They don't want to repeat all this a handful of years down the road when a 70+ year old host starts having the health issues that go along with being 70+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm going to pitch a fit and sign a million petitions until Jonathan Frakes gets it because he did that truth or fiction show.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I agree Levar won’t get the full time gig only because of his age and understand that. He’s getting to do a run, I’m happy with that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

packetmantis posted:

I'm going to pitch a fit and sign a million petitions until Jonathan Frakes gets it because he did that truth or fiction show.

He'd be a shoo-in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Genrethan Frakes

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't help but wonder if they announced a bunch at the same time to soften the blow from the reaction to Joe Buck, given as every single thing I've seen said about him so far have been negative.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think Anderson Cooper is the best so far.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't know poo poo about the bible but answering "Exodus" for a clue that includes Jesus is really funny to me.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think Anderson Cooper is the best so far.

He really does do a good job but he's a weird robot person and I'd rather see almost anyone else in the slot. Luckily, I don't think there's any way he would take a permanent gig.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cooper really shotguns through those categories like drat bro slow down

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I haven't really liked Cooper. He doesn't really do a good job of switching things up for different situations.

Katie and Ken are still the best for a mile for me. They just had the strongest sense of persona and vision for how they handled things. They come from opposite positions where Ken is a super nerd quiz guy who is enjoying the process with the contestants while Katie played herself as not being able to hang with the contestants and just impressed by them. I think both work.

I think what makes Burton such a good potential host is that he has the right balance of being a good TV personality but having a sense of academic authority. He's the closest the show is ever going to get to matching Alex.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Lord, that's a rough game tonight

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I don't really like Cooper either. He's somehow really dull. I can't believe this, but A-rod has actually been my favorite :o

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I thought Cooper was worse tonight than the other two days. I think he’s the best at presenting the clues but he also has the least personality. It’s nice to listen to but long term I think he would just be boring.

Still on Team Rodgers of all the guest hosts so far but I’m also betting on Ken getting the job.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That episode was a bit of a stinker.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

I thought Cooper was worse tonight than the other two days. I think he’s the best at presenting the clues but he also has the least personality. It’s nice to listen to but long term I think he would just be boring.

Still on Team Rodgers of all the guest hosts so far but I’m also betting on Ken getting the job.

:same:

I think Cooper is just too straight forward of an announcer to be a good fit. It feel like he's just newscasting through it, and he really needs to get some ribbing in there during the game.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I wonder what happens if LeVar turns out to be merely okay

I agree that he probably won't get the permanent gig anyway due to his age. But it was definitely a good idea to let him guest host.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

A combination of Buck being on (and making fun of himself) on Brockmeyer and his WTF interview made me come around on Buck. He's not bad, just a bit dry.
Collinsworth is still a douchebag though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DigiDaunted/status/1385004431125712900?s=20

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Cooper really shotguns through those categories like drat bro slow down

Mood, even though they left most of a category on the Double Jeopardy board yesterday. He also seems to have picked up the Aaron Rodgers-ism of fully reading out people’s names if they’re the correct response.

Catching up on the Levar Burton news, and I’m super happy to see him get a shot, dunno if I’ll be able to catch most of it because I have to go back to the office full time starting next month. Anyway, it seems to have offset some of the negative announcement of Joe Buck as well.

Who was the chaser when Dr. Oz was announced all those months back, Anderson Cooper?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This lady owns.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

edit: never mind, I'm dumb they aren't.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 23, 2021

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oof, that wagering.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Love the leader wagering a dollar, though that's going to be a miniscule footnote in the story of this game lmao

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Love how there are people on the East Coast who get it a full 6 hours before me on the West Coast.

4pm is such a weird time to put it on, but I guess more possible now with DVRs.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i spoiled it for myself today because anderson is so duuuuuuuuuuuuuull

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
woulda liked to see pat keirnan take a swing at it, but i seriously doubt dude would want to move to LA.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

woulda liked to see pat keirnan take a swing at it, but i seriously doubt dude would want to move to LA.

That's probably the reason that half the guest hosts couldn't take the job. The show would crimp other commitments elsewhere.

Yes, I know Sajak lives in Maryland but he doesn't work there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We’re back to $200 clues for final I see (I’m watching last night’s eoisode)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm shocked that final was 1/3. The wrong answer that two of them picked did not conform to the category for one thing.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

packetmantis posted:

I keep thinking about this and now I'm annoyed that i facetioused myself into a genuine desire. He would own. I kind of want the whole cast of TNG to do a run tbh. Imagine Whoopi.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly i think frakes is more of a sale of the century type of host.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I didn't watch tonight's episode but I caught... last nights? Or maybe the night before... it's been such a long week... but anyway, I felt like Cooper does fine at reading the clues, but he takes too long to respond after the contestant answers. I don't feel like he's got the rhythm for the show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How the gently caress did only one person get that

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm not a betting strategy expert, but is there any reason ever that the second place player wouldn't bet 100% when he has exactly half of the leader's score?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

wa27 posted:

I'm not a betting strategy expert, but is there any reason ever that the second place player wouldn't bet 100% when he has exactly half of the leader's score?

You can't win with $0 so you might bet all but $1. Or if you think it's a tough category/the leader will probably miss you can bet conservatively.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 24, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

wa27 posted:

Nope! Your snap judgment as someone who’s admittedly not an expert is 100% correct. The person who has known they’re going to be on jeopardy for months didn’t learn (or simply intuit) the only way to avoid losing before the clue comes up. Even most of the contestants who prepare will spend more time endlessly drilling state capitals than setting half an hour aside to study wagering scenarios. 37 years on, and people have no perception that it’s an actual game with a small but important bit of strategy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Spokes posted:

Nope! Your snap judgment as someone who’s admittedly not an expert is 100% correct. The person who has known they’re going to be on jeopardy for months didn’t learn (or simply intuit) the only way to avoid losing before the clue comes up. Even most of the contestants who prepare will spend more time endlessly drilling state capitals than setting half an hour aside to study wagering scenarios. 37 years on, and people have no perception that it’s an actual game with a small but important bit of strategy.

My gut feeling is that being good at trivia doesn't necessarily correlate with being good at the logic puzzle that is wagering strategy. And of course, wagering skill isn't part of the audition process at all.

Trying to memorize various wagering scenarios, and then get the arithmetic right when all you have is scratch paper, is hard for some of us!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We had that episode a week or so ago where everyone wagered wrong and it ended up costing the third place person a win. "Don't bet if you're in third well behind first and second place" is something I've known for close to thirty years it's weird that people into the show enough to get on don't know that.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

quote:

Trying to memorize various wagering scenarios, and then get the arithmetic right when all you have is scratch paper, is hard for some of us!

Sure, but like... this isn’t like, the intricacies of a three-fourths vs four-fifths scenario that only dorks on jboard care about. I understand it’s not intuitive for everybody but you do get scratch paper like you said, and as much time as you need. I’m willing to give people who underbet DDs or whatever a pass but stuff like this that’s objectively incorrect just blows my mind. Jeopardy is a life goal for a lot of people and I just don’t get why contestants do things like this again and again.

(Of course, I’m not saying I’m smarter than any of these people, they’re clearly knowledgeable enough to get on jeopardy, I just think they should put basic wagering understanding in their memory palaces or whatever lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like to get mad at players for betting wrong in FJ. It brings me a lot of entertainment.

Not joking here.