Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

iKon posted:

So who did she use the knife on?

From the video, it looks like she was swinging it at the girl in pink. She may have swung it at the other girl, but that is less clear because of the angle of the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

I want to say the cop should have tased her much earlier when he first saw her swinging the knife around at people instead of waiting until the last minute, but he might have easily done another whoopsie and thought he was holding his taser when he had his gun out.

My main issue with saying that the victim was using lethal force and so lethal force was justified in response, is that okay maybe if a family member or neighbor of the person being attacked had used a CCW and shot the girl with the knife, I’d understand that. That makes some amount of sense.

But a cop should be held to a higher standard. Their job isn’t to murder anybody who acts threateningly. Their job should be to deescalate and pacify situations so that the justice system can sort it out later. If you’re going to be a BLUE LINE SHEEPDOG then you need to actually prove you deserve the immunities and privileges granted to you by acting with a level of bravery above and beyond what should be expected of an average person. Which means you can’t just start blasting when things happen, you’ve gotta be willing to put yourself between danger and the community members you serve. And in this case that means the at least 4 cops present should have used their tasers and their physical bodies to restrain the teenage girl with a knife when it first became clear she was a threat instead of waiting until she was mid-swing on her second target before executing her.

Agreed. Officer safety uber alles as a concept needs to go the gently caress away. Since expecting the police to do this of their own accord is not working, taking away the guns of detectives and standard patrol cops and taking 75% of their funding to put into community services to actually try and address root causes of this stuff sounds like a good start.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Alright, let's all take a breath.

I'm not going to banish Bored As gently caress to the land of wind and ghosts, but for the sake of all of us let's bear in mind that we're all pretty fried between the ears.

Saying a shoot is legally justified comes across as excusing it, so maybe don't do that.

A shoot that's legally justified is not the same thing as one that is morally justified (thanks to whoever said that earlier).

Please consider using the copthread for your in-depth arguments so that when Henry Kissinger's final horcrux is found the news isn't swallowed up.

I'm going off to run some errands and to clear my head: Between this and something that's going on elsewhere I'm pretty drained. IKs, there's a few frozen pizzas in the freezer for you. If you throw a wild party please clean up after yourselves.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

CainFortea posted:

From the video, it looks like she was swinging it at the girl in pink. She may have swung it at the other girl, but that is less clear because of the angle of the camera.

Ok. So maybe she swung it at the other girl, but it's too hard to tell from the video. Maybe she was about to swing it at the girl in pink. Maybe.

If you were Ma’Khia Bryant's father, would you say that cop was justified in putting four bullets into your daughter and killing her after doing nothing other than jumping out of the car and saying "hey, hey, hey, hey, get down, get down, get down, get down?"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

iKon posted:

Ok. So maybe she swung it at the other girl, but it's too hard to tell from the video. Maybe she was about to swing it at the girl in pink. Maybe.

If you were Ma’Khia Bryant's father, would you say that cop was justified in putting four bullets into your daughter and killing her after doing nothing other than jumping out of the car and saying "hey, hey, hey, hey, get down, get down, get down, get down?"

Please step off my dick. I'm literally just trying to describe the video as presented for those who either can't or won't watch it. I already said the dude was wrong and had like, plenty of other things he could try before blasting.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

McNally posted:

Please consider using the copthread for your in-depth arguments so that when Henry Kissinger's final horcrux is found the news isn't swallowed up.

This needs to be either a band or new thread title.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You know what'd be a good start to preventing this?

Make the cops leave the guns in their cars. Take the holsters off, lock them in a center compartment. They have mace and tazers and knives and collapsing batons and reinforced knuckle Oakley gloves and an indignant definition of the word respect, they can leave their loving guns in the car until someone starts shooting up a grocery store or Target. Take them off their hips so they stop killing people on traffic stops.

It's not like they don't wear thousands of dollars (marked up) of armor either.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I agree 100% that taking away lethal force from patrol officers is absolutely what needs to happen. They should have to call in trained killers who are held to a professional standard if they want to shoot their guns. No more of this reasonable officer bullshit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

McNally posted:

Alright, let's all take a breath.

I'm not going to banish Bored As gently caress to the land of wind and ghosts, but for the sake of all of us let's bear in mind that we're all pretty fried between the ears.

Saying a shoot is legally justified comes across as excusing it, so maybe don't do that.

A shoot that's legally justified is not the same thing as one that is morally justified (thanks to whoever said that earlier).

I'm going off to run some errands and to clear my head: Between this and something that's going on elsewhere I'm pretty drained. IKs, there's a few frozen pizzas in the freezer for you. If you throw a wild party please clean up after yourselves.

That was me.

It was the thought process I was taught as a Grunt. The purpose of the Infantry is not killing- it is (or should be) a controlled application of violence to achieve a goal. They should act with compassion, and a sense of moral and ethical standards. Just because you can shoot, doesn't mean you should.

I'm sure I've shared it before, but I was confronted multiple times by elements of leadership and asked why I didn't just shoot a guy. "Because I didn't need to" was the answer. It reality, it's because laws and regulations do not reflect morality. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's 'right'. It was legal to own people; it was legal to beat your children; it was legal to rape your wife.

I believed that my job was to take the risks so as many others can go home as possible. I was getting paid to take the hits. I can categorically say what I would have done (with a high degree of certainty given past experiences), it's a mindset that many don't carry.

I type all this as I wait to see my Cognitive therapist for the TBI that fighting locals contributed to.

And you know what? I'm ok with the damage, because everyone went home alive.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grip it and rip it posted:

I agree 100% that taking away lethal force from patrol officers is absolutely what needs to happen. They should have to call in trained killers who are held to a professional standard if they want to shoot their guns. No more of this reasonable officer bullshit.

No matter your take on how the shooting went down, this is a true fact

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
On the vaccine front, it's not just a matter of patents, it's also a matter of personnel/factories/raw materials. Read through this thing if you want a good overview of the Novavax vaccine - which appears to be a good drat vaccine and is the #1 vaccine the world is planning to blanket poor countries with:

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1384917960712757251

quote:

Tech transfer, one of many once-obscure words that officials are now becoming familiar with, simply refers to the process of one company setting up its production process at another company’s facilities. For vaccines, it’s a far more important step than sharing patents or intellectual property, but it can be intensive. Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel has said part of the reason his company has not enlisted more outside partners is that they don’t have enough trained personnel to do so.

So it's not a matter of boop boop beep beep everyone manufactures everyone else's vaccines. That recipe is how you get Emergent's J&J facility loving up 15 million vaccine doses because they sucked too hard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Grip it and rip it posted:

They should have to call in trained killers who are held to a professional standard if they want to shoot their guns. No more of this reasonable officer bullshit.

Eric Prince just got an erection and doesn't know why.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Indonesia's missing a submarine.

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1384879036736970755?s=19

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That led me to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submarine_operators

There's a lot more countries operating submarines than I would have thought (41), including standouts like Bangladesh, Azerbaijan, and--despite the borscht belt jokes--Poland.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

stealie72 posted:

That led me to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submarine_operators

There's a lot more countries operating submarines than I would have thought (41), including standouts like Bangladesh, Azerbaijan, and--despite the borscht belt jokes--Poland.

Does Azerbaijan's subs just hang out in the Caspian Sea?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CainFortea posted:

Canada’s just hang out in dry dock so we can’t judge.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

iKon posted:

Are you trying to pretend that I said the cop was in any way justified in shooting her? Because I explicitly said that I don't think he was justified in the post you quoted.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CainFortea posted:

Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan use their subs to patrol the Aral Sea.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Can we all please take a step back on the cops killing people thing for a bit? Folks are rightfully emotional about this subject but maybe we don’t tell each other to gently caress off multiple times a page?

Take a walk outside. Hug your family or your pets or whatever you care about in this world. The policing problem in the US will be here when you get back.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Internet Wizard posted:

Are you trying to pretend that I said the cop was in any way justified in shooting her? Because I explicitly said that I don't think he was justified in the post you quoted.

No, because I wasn’t quoting you on any of that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'd just like to say not having watched the video, between the ages of 14 and 16 I managed to successfully disarm my mentally ill younger brother of various sharp implements at various different times he had intent to stab me with and only was stabbed once in the arm while doing so.

A cop wearing a stab vest, shouldn't really have anything to worry about a sixteen year old girl with a knife.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ballistic and stab vests are different things. Different fibers and weavings. You can stab through ballistic vests with relative ease.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Bors should update this but with a black girl with a knife and that kid the cops let run away after shooting two people.

https://inthesetimes.com/article/how-to-avoid-being-shot-by-police

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

iKon posted:

No, because I wasn’t quoting you on any of that.

Oh?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hekk posted:

Take a walk outside. Hug your family or your pets or whatever you care about in this world.

Like the Jeopardy producers finally doing the right loving thing.

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1384948157671411713?s=19

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

facialimpediment posted:

This is a good thing.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Where’s the part where I quoted the rest of your post?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
April 2021 Current Events - You're not welcome here, That's not Cole, lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sorry, my bad for confusing Cole.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

That is awesome. He is one of the last "educational" stars left from (some of) our collective childhoods. I can't think of a better choice for the show.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If y’all need to poo poo on one another, do it elsewhere.

It’s ok to argue or disagree, it’s not ok to attack other posters and drag stuff out. Just agree to disagree and move on.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FrozenVent posted:

If y’all need to poo poo on one another, do it elsewhere.
There's an app for that:
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1384455840992665604

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Meanwhile, in covid news...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/300283234/covid19-melbourne-suburbs-on-alert-after-virus-fragments-found-in-wastewater

This would be the same Melbourne that now has quarantine-free travel into NZ, so let's see how this plays out.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't even need to see the man in action, LeVar Burton should be the new permanent host

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't even need to see the man in action, LeVar Burton should be the new permanent host

His Reading Rainbow Kickstarter is the only crowd funding thing I’ve ever contributed to. I credit the original show with helping me find escape from a lovely home life growing up.

Edit- well I sent money for McNally’s Musket Missives too

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

His podcast LeVar Burton reads is excellent, he narrates quality short fiction. Not just greatest hits, lots of smaller works too. "Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience" is my favorite so far.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lavar Burton was a fundamental part of so many childhoods that it seems appropriate for him to serve in a similar capacity on our adulthoods. Like coming full circle.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The fact that he hasn't had the audition yet, and loving Dr. Oz did, is borderline criminal.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hekk posted:

Edit- well I sent money for McNally’s Musket Missives too

And it's greatly appreciated

Editing is a massive chore and a huge pain in the dick, but I'm still working on it, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

The fact that he hasn't had the audition yet, and loving Dr. Oz did, is borderline criminal.

This is loving insane. Dr. Oz is a poo poo stain.

So are they just doing this in the mean time while they shop around for a permanent host?