Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm just struggling (besides warranty) to see what an $800 desk offers over like a $200-250 one. Then again my wife is adamant that we keep the desk 48" wide so some of the cheaper Amazon models are more in my house.

They're obviously not as good long term, but like $250 for one vs $800... chairs make sense but a desk is mostly just a desk for me, I almost never write on it. The only thing that I really like about the branded desks is the made-for-them keyboard tray. I get shoulder pain from poor keyboard/mouse ergo.

I guess, if I was WFH full time or thought to do this last April, hell yeah. But just as I creep back toward the office and start my new job I'm not sure I need $800 worth of desk even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The more research I’m doing the more it seems Varonis is basically useless once we move all our stuff to sharepoint. 365 audit system is better but most of the documentation is for a older version so the only way to find the right info is to already navigate to the right panel and then click the “learn about” button so hope you don’t need help finding the panel lol.

The hard part is going to be double and triple checking there isn’t any reliance for the admin that uses active directory on Varonis which I have no idea since that guy is a contractor for a different company that the contractor I work for.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 21, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

O365 audit log ui sucks, either ship the audit logs to log analytics or get really familiar with the powershell

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Fool posted:

O365 audit log ui sucks, either ship the audit logs to log analytics or get really familiar with the powershell

How so? It seems better than Varonis’s system except for the fact we still have legacy network drives 365 can’t log.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Love having home ISP issues. Doubly love being told the service call will be there from 8-10 and then get a call at 10:30 saying it's a network issue and that a home service call will not be necessary.

I'm glad my boss is understanding of this but I expressed with urgency the need for my Internet to be in working order to my ISP since we need to be available remotely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vargatron posted:

Love having home ISP issues. Doubly love being told the service call will be there from 8-10 and then get a call at 10:30 saying it's a network issue and that a home service call will not be necessary.

I'm glad my boss is understanding of this but I expressed with urgency the need for my Internet to be in working order to my ISP since we need to be available remotely.

I have explained to this lady that her backcountry wireless ISP is the blame for "VPN being slow" every other week for the last year.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's rare, but I've had to camp out in the library parking lot, or a starbucks for a few hours when my home internet went down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get that it's frustrating but a home user ISP doesn't really care about uptime, and if your employer needs you to be available then it's probably worth them giving you an LTE hotspot as a backup or whatever.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Explaining to someone who lives in the boonies that no, your spouse and kid can't also be using their LTE hotspot while they video conference tends to be an experience

"I live out here because its so cheap"

I mean...guess why its so drat cheap to live in the middle of loving nowhere.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

For our call center, we've been allowing people to work remote. Part of the hiring process is proving your internet is 10mbps minimum. Doesn't filter a ton out if you have 3 kids watching netflix on different tablets, but it helps.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I get that it's frustrating but a home user ISP doesn't really care about uptime, and if your employer needs you to be available then it's probably worth them giving you an LTE hotspot as a backup or whatever.

Yep. Our work provided phones have hotspot enabled for this exact situation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

How so? It seems better than Varonis’s system except for the fact we still have legacy network drives 365 can’t log.

You have limitations on how far back you can go on the UI versus power shell. Being able to pick the exact fields you want without Redoing it every time is definitely the play.

To be super honest the UI gives me the impression that they really didn’t develop it much.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sickening posted:

You have limitations on how far back you can go on the UI versus power shell. Being able to pick the exact fields you want without Redoing it every time is definitely the play.

To be super honest the UI gives me the impression that they really didn’t develop it much.

I’ll take a look at how to do that in powershell then.

Yeah the UI isn’t great, but Varonis is pretty atrocious. If there is a way to replace Varonis though with a script I need to look into it, that’s basically my entire job as of today.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

My soon to be ex boss just asked if I had any suggestions for how write the job posting (to hire my replacement) to more accurately select for successful candidates.

I want to help, but there's no good, business friendly way to suggest to candidates that there's zero governance, every product team is its own unique dumpster fire, and you will regularly be expected to wait for weeks on end for the world's easiest blockers to be resolved after everyone ignores you warning about them.

What's the word to describe a work environment that has all the dysfunctions of startups amd also simultaneously the dysfunctions of mega-enterprises?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do you need to sugar coat it?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Happiness Commando posted:

What's the word to describe a work environment that has all the dysfunctions of startups amd also simultaneously the dysfunctions of mega-enterprises?

Western publisher subsidiary of a KMMO company

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

My soon to be ex boss just asked if I had any suggestions for how write the job posting (to hire my replacement) to more accurately select for successful candidates.

I want to help, but there's no good, business friendly way to suggest to candidates that there's zero governance, every product team is its own unique dumpster fire, and you will regularly be expected to wait for weeks on end for the world's easiest blockers to be resolved after everyone ignores you warning about them.

Be your own self-starter and have the chance to learn many unique products in service with a varied employee base.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

"Shits always on fire and it is your fault somehow."

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
You want a rockstar ninja 100x, to make up for the 100 people it would take to deal with it normally.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Biowarfare posted:

You want a rockstar ninja 100x, to make up for the 100 people it would take to deal with it normally.

poo poo people want 100x engineers now? I've been trying to level up to 10x, and now the drat goalposts have been moved.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

poo poo people want 100x engineers now? I've been trying to level up to 10x, and now the drat goalposts have been moved.

It's multiplicative. You just need to hire two 10x engineers, not ten

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You need 100 engineers because 20% do 80% of the work

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Autonomous, self-driven problem solver with the ability to work with other departments with unique requirements and workflows. Able to handle ever-changing deadlines, remove blockers, and facilitate coordination between stakeholders to drive initiatives to completion.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 21, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Internet Explorer posted:

Autonomous, self-driven problem solver with the ability to work with other departments with unique requirements and workflows. If any of the product teams need help, you need to help NOW. Able to handle ever-changing deadlines, remove blockers, and facilitate coordination between stakeholders to drive initiatives to completion. This is not a 100k+ position. If you need that kind of money, PLEASE don’t apply, as that’ll waste a lot of time. You will not convince us.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Autonomous, self-driven problem solver with the ability to work with other departments with unique requirements and workflows. Able to handle ever-changing deadlines, remove blockers, and facilitate coordination between stakeholders to drive initiatives to completion.

You must have touched the poop before.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I sometimes despise the Infosec side of our industry because it doesn't understand how to evaluate talent. Your average infosec grognard middle manager is going to look at a resume and only measure a candidate by its infosec experience with an infosec title. They don't probably respect the infrastructure and other ops experience a candidate can bring to an infosec position. This is how you end up with infosec folks with decades of experience, but little to no functional skillsets. Its a broken cycle of sadness.

I had a previous coworker trying to get into a cloud security position and was using me as a reference. I just had this turd call me and tell me his apprehension of hiring my guy because of how "light" his resume was on infosec. "I was looking for someone with 10 years of infosec experience and he only has 2". I was attempting to hype my dude up as best I could but I also inquired how large his team was, etc. Turns out he has a large infosec team but nobody that knows anything about the cloud. He couldn't put two and two together himself and I didn't want to cause waves just in case. I am going to be employed forever because my industry is 80% do-nothing morons.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

I am going to be employed forever because my industry is 80% do-nothing morons.

You said infosec.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now I'm really curious as to what specialized infosec professionals were doing 10 years ago.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
flip a coin.

if heads: mandating 30 day password rotation policies
if tails: forcing engineers to install an A/V with no exceptions that makes every visual studio build take over 40 hours and thrash the drive until it dies
if it lands on its side and stays upright: reverse engineering for fun, breaking anticheats, telling people about what horrid invasive crap a program is doing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Now I'm really curious as to what specialized infosec professionals were doing 10 years ago.

Worrying about password complexity for 40 hours a week and attachments in email.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sickening posted:

Worrying about password complexity for 40 hours a week and attachments in email.

They said ten years ago, not today?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I remember there was a time when having a sentence as your password was a thing. Well, a thing you could do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

YOU CAN'T SEND A ZIP FILE IN AN EMAIL! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargatron posted:

I remember there was a time when having a sentence as your password was a thing. Well, a thing you could do.

Correct, horse battery staple!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

At rackspace our security person shut down all my ports because I was using BitTorrent to distribute Linux and windows images to each data center over it. She called it a security risk.

This was an internal network.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't rackspace some kind of ultra-premium enterprise hosting provider that everyone flocked to, what happened and why is it seemingly an absolute joke now?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

jaegerx posted:

At rackspace our security person shut down all my ports because I was using BitTorrent to distribute Linux and windows images to each data center over it. She called it a security risk.

This was an internal network.

Definitely one of the prime reasons most places don't give infosec people actual operational control over anything.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Biowarfare posted:

Wasn't rackspace some kind of ultra-premium enterprise hosting provider that everyone flocked to, what happened and why is it seemingly an absolute joke now?

Private Equity, baby!

(Also AWS.)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

Got bought by an equity firm. Downsized to cover cost of purchase. Outsourced everything.

It’s poo poo now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PCjr sidecar posted:

Private Equity, baby!

(Also AWS.)

Looks like Apollo took them private, then they went public again. I wonder how Apollo made out in the end.