Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Stirred, not shaken, too.

I like the 1.5:.75:.5 mezcal:cynar:chartreuse idea. If it were on a big rock I’d up the mezcal to 2oz and maybe the chartreuse up to .75 also. Either way might like a dash or two of Regans orange bitters too, especially if you end up using a .25oz of simple to round it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's kind of like the Black Rider that I make all the time. 1:1:1 mezcal:cynar:brandy, stirred and served up with a lemon twist. It's basically my favorite drink.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Stirred, not shaken, too.

I like the 1.5:.75:.5 mezcal:cynar:chartreuse idea. If it were on a big rock I’d up the mezcal to 2oz and maybe the chartreuse up to .75 also. Either way might like a dash or two of Regans orange bitters too, especially if you end up using a .25oz of simple to round it out.

Made it just now this way, and its the right call. Tasted it without simple and it was too astringent, the syrup and bitters rounded it out. It's good.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's kind of like the Black Rider that I make all the time. 1:1:1 mezcal:cynar:brandy, stirred and served up with a lemon twist. It's basically my favorite drink.

Just made one of these, I think I might like the regular proportions (1:3/4:1) slightly more but it's tasty

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm trying to figure out a good way to include some depth and funkiness to non-alcoholic tiki drinks. My current thought is to thin down some blackstrap molasses and flavor it with clove and cinnamon, basically making a not very sweet but flavorful syrup. Has anyone else tried something like this?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm trying to figure out a good way to include some depth and funkiness to non-alcoholic tiki drinks. My current thought is to thin down some blackstrap molasses and flavor it with clove and cinnamon, basically making a not very sweet but flavorful syrup. Has anyone else tried something like this?

How absolute is your alcohol restriction? If it’s not 0, Bittermens makes a tiki bitters that might help you with the complexity. And it isn’t the essential core tiki flavor accord, but even a half teaspoon of absinthe will push a drink a good ways towards a tiki profile.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pomegranate molasses (very high flavor to sweetness ratio)

Fun herbs, muddled: shiso, lemon verbena, pineapple sage

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lumbermouth posted:

I'd also say look at using a few different fruit juices, pineapple, passionfruit, guava, etc. and make sure to use more than 1 to really help get a tiki vibe. Falernum would also be helpful here, make sure you get the syrup version no the liquor, it has lime and clove flavors. Also too I'd say you can get some tiki vibes with orgeat.

That's for depth, funk might be tougher. I like your idea on molasses, not sure how that would turn out (report back) but it seems fun. Otherwise you might think about a burnt caramel syrup, or even infuse some cinnamon in there.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Anonymous Robot posted:

How absolute is your alcohol restriction? If it’s not 0, Bittermens makes a tiki bitters that might help you with the complexity. And it isn’t the essential core tiki flavor accord, but even a half teaspoon of absinthe will push a drink a good ways towards a tiki profile.

I'd say a couple of dashes of bitters would be fine, but it's specifically making cocktails for a friend who's quitting drinking but still wants to have something fun and complex to have at parties. My initial thought was a spiced syrup, but I realized that I would also be putting in orgeat and homemade grenadine and assorted juices, so I wanted a way to add depth without adding sweetness. I'll see if we can get some fun herbs to add to the planter!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

This one seems well regarded. When I’ve tried to make zero proof tiki, I found lengthening drinks with soda water to be essential. It won’t replace rum, but will make drinks subtler, lighter and less cloying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I got some Cocchi Americano to make Vespers; I wanted to try something different from Lillet Blanc. What else can I do with it?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lumbermouth posted:

In making cocktails and punches I've found that a very small proportion of absinthe adds surprising depth to a cocktail, including in applications, such as a Corpse Reviver #2, where it's such a slight dash it's barely recognizable. You might experiment with adding a couple drops of anise extract to your non-alcoholic tiki drinks to try and simulate funk. Also consider incorporating some non-traditional spices, like caraway, cumin, or asafoetida. Some of these could be incorporated into a syrup, others might work as a dash of powdered spice on top. You're looking to add something savory to all the sweet, essentially. That said, be subtle with the weird flavors, they should just be a hint in the drink.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Also don’t forget about teas.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

No ABV tiki are easier than most cocktails because so much of their character comes from fruit juices, syrups and spices. Coconut water is a usable stand in for white rum especially in something like a pina colada. You can also try seedless jams or marmalades to increase viscosity and add concentrated flavors.

Not tiki but I’ve also had good luck with red wine approximations by spiking pomegranate juice with over extracted black tea to bring some tannins. Makes a killer sangria base for your sober or pregnant friends who are missing adult flavors.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Maestro posted:

Also don’t forget about teas.

Oh yeah! Teas are a great idea. Maybe experiment with a lapsang souchong to capture some of the gunpowdery character of aggressive Jamaica/Guyana rums.

tonedef131 posted:

Not tiki but I’ve also had good luck with red wine approximations by spiking pomegranate juice with over extracted black tea to bring some tannins. Makes a killer sangria base for your sober or pregnant friends who are missing adult flavors.

This is an amazing idea that I'd like to try on its own merits.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I could feel my cheeks pucker just reading pom + over extracted tea.

Maybe aloe water too? A little more uhh not so delicious but could give some agricole flavor. There’s also terpenes and CBD tinctures...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anonymous Robot posted:

This one seems well regarded. When I’ve tried to make zero proof tiki, I found lengthening drinks with soda water to be essential. It won’t replace rum, but will make drinks subtler, lighter and less cloying.

So, what app is that?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MrYenko posted:

So, what app is that?

Mixel, well loved by the thread

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Black Orchid tiki drink uses "black orchid spices" as an ingredient. 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses, agitate the sugar and water until dissolved, stir in molasses.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tonight I was making a daiquiri and used the wrong bitters dasher. So, absinthe instead of ango. You know what? Delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

Oh yeah! Teas are a great idea. Maybe experiment with a lapsang souchong to capture some of the gunpowdery character of aggressive Jamaica/Guyana rums.

This is an amazing idea that I'd like to try on its own merits.

The Maestro posted:

I could feel my cheeks pucker just reading pom + over extracted tea.

Did this today, and it's pretty decent. I fiddled about with it a bit, diluting with a little water, adding a couple drops of vanilla, as well as some red wine vinegar, etc. Ended up 2:1:1 POM, tea, water, with a tiny dash each of vinegar and molasses, as well as a coupled drops vanilla. Honestly a solid adult-tasting beverage, even though it's obviously not quite wine. Pretty good over ice, and definitely something I'm gonna keep fiddling with.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I just bought my first proper barware glasses, a pair of pretty etched vintage coupe glasses. They were surprisingly cheap and my drinks will look so much nicer. I guess I previously had a couple rocks glasses as I used to drink old fashioneds and various sipping whiskeys and that was about it, but I think I've earned an expansion since I started branching out about 2 years ago now.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

I got some Cocchi Americano to make Vespers; I wanted to try something different from Lillet Blanc. What else can I do with it?

Kenning posted:

Corpse Reviver #2

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kenning posted:

Did this today, and it's pretty decent. I fiddled about with it a bit, diluting with a little water, adding a couple drops of vanilla, as well as some red wine vinegar, etc. Ended up 2:1:1 POM, tea, water, with a tiny dash each of vinegar and molasses, as well as a coupled drops vanilla. Honestly a solid adult-tasting beverage, even though it's obviously not quite wine. Pretty good over ice, and definitely something I'm gonna keep fiddling with.

This is making me think what I could do for a white sangria/fake wine spritzer base. Maybe white grape with grapefruit juice and green or white tea?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

A God drat Ghost posted:

I just bought my first proper barware glasses, a pair of pretty etched vintage coupe glasses. They were surprisingly cheap and my drinks will look so much nicer. I guess I previously had a couple rocks glasses as I used to drink old fashioneds and various sipping whiskeys and that was about it, but I think I've earned an expansion since I started branching out about 2 years ago now.

Great find!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've got a bottle of Citadelle gin that I don't like, it has a strong sugar substitute aftertaste to me. I don't want it to hang around forever so what cocktails can I use it in to maybe hide that taste?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've got a bottle of Citadelle gin that I don't like, it has a strong sugar substitute aftertaste to me. I don't want it to hang around forever so what cocktails can I use it in to maybe hide that taste?

Fake sugars taste kind of bitter to me, maybe Campari would mask it? It's getting to be negroni season after all.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's always negroni season.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
December to March is boulevardier season

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Toebone posted:

December to November is boulevardier season

:hmmyes:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Made my 3 year old a "negroni" last night because he's been enthralled with them. Put a little ice cube in a shotglass and mixed pomegranate juice with soda water, little orange peel slice. He was ecstatic.

Also carefully explained it was a fake one and only grownups can drink real ones.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flashbacks to me ordering Shirley Temples as a kid to feel mature :3:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

We did a pineapple, passion fruit, orange, lemon and orgeat mocktail for the movie night and it was delicious. But even more surprising was a straight up grenadine fizz made with our homemade grenadine. God, it was so simple and so loving good.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's a good cocktail to finish off disappointing oxidized Chenin Blanc? Got 2 bottles left. Been doing half can kroger flavored selzter (raspberry or blackberry cirtus), little bit peychauds, my campari aperitivo home blend, lemon juice, solid pour maybe 1/4 a bottle. Determined to finish it but not just dump it down the drain.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You can always just make Kirs with it.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
What's a good brand for brandied cherries? I know Luxardo does good maraschinos but they're so expensive and maybe not what I want - I'm thinking of those dark, almost black cherries that are not syrupy-sweet, like I've had served in a Last Word. Maybe they're just another type of brandied cherry. Is there another name for them, or a brand that folks would recommend?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

A God drat Ghost posted:

What's a good brand for brandied cherries? I know Luxardo does good maraschinos but they're so expensive and maybe not what I want - I'm thinking of those dark, almost black cherries that are not syrupy-sweet, like I've had served in a Last Word. Maybe they're just another type of brandied cherry. Is there another name for them, or a brand that folks would recommend?

Amarena cherries are less sweet, and there’s also Griottines, which are a little tart.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Corpse Reviver #2
This was a great idea!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I was watching Cara Devine last night make a few different aviations, and she recommends a barspoon of simple, and drat if it doesn't really elevate the drink. Definitely a better texture, and I do agree it brings the flavors together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Amarena cherries are less sweet, and there’s also Griottines, which are a little tart.

Thanks for the tip!