Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Did steps 2-5 for the EVGA step up yesterday. Just need to mail in the GPU. Any recommendations on who and what to use for shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

denereal visease posted:

In a fit of madness and/or inspiration, I stuffed my NH-D15S "into" my 5800X/3080 NCase M1 build over the weekend

What're the thermals like

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

change my name posted:

I imagine :tif:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

denereal visease posted:

In a fit of madness and/or inspiration, I stuffed my NH-D15S "into" my 5800X/3080 NCase M1 build over the weekend

Rocks very hard and I know you said it in the SFF thread, but it really would be awesome to do cut outs on the side panel for the full muscle car shaker-hood aesthetic.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

repiv posted:

old-ish pic but not much has changed besides adding another m.2 drive

no case window so not really concerned about the poop brown

:D

Also an old pic, but since then I covered up the uhh, basement again and got rid of the crappy fractal fan that was located there. It didn't help enough for the extra noise.
GPU temps are great, 55-60 in most games while being very quiet.

The Seasonic PSU fan sucks so much, but I can't really replace it anytime soon as I'm currently unemployed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

so much brown :vince:

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Sininu posted:

Also an old pic, but since then I covered up the uhh, basement again and got rid of the crappy fractal fan that was located there. It didn't help enough for the extra noise.

The Seasonic PSU fan sucks so much, but I can't really replace it anytime soon as I'm currently unemployed.

Cool - how do you regulate the fan curves on those Noctua fans on your GPU?

mA fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 21, 2021

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

denereal visease posted:

you left some space open there, 8/10

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

mA posted:

Cool - how do you regulate the fan speed on those Noctua fans on your GPU?

I use an adapter that lets me to connect them directly to the fan header on the GPU itself. So I'm using the standard GPU fan control for them.
Fan curve looks like this:

Had to redo it week ago after Windows reset because I'm a dumbo and didn't back up Afterburner settings.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

buglord posted:

God this gives me so much anxiety.

MarcusSA posted:

Hard same yo.
Are y'all afraid of dust or unable to resist the temptation of sticking your fingers in the fan (or have small ones that would do that)?

change my name posted:

It's a 5800X so the thermals are bad by design, but with PPT @ 130W and some Curve Optimizer it'll run a 10-minute CBR20 loop with every core holding 4.5GHz and staying under 80°C. Idles at 37°C. I didn't pay close attention or keep logs but iirc it was sitting in the mid 70s during a multi-hour Apex Legends session (while Apex was reporting something stupid like 240fps at 1440p Ultra :lol:). Definitely still hit peak temps in the mid-to-upper 80s at some point during launch.

It's way loving quieter than the NH-C14S set up I ran previously.

Cygni posted:

Rocks very hard and I know you said it in the SFF thread, but it really would be awesome to do cut outs on the side panel for the full muscle car shaker-hood aesthetic.
Cheers! :cheers:

Voxx posted:

you left some space open there, 8/10
Consider it breathing room ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

change my name posted:

I installed all-black parts in an all-black case with no RGB, it's hard to photograph

Anish Kapoor is suing you right now

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3X 12GB spotted during transit

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

Large boxes with [...] GeForce GT 710 are heading to the USA

:pray:

Funkysock
Aug 8, 2011

Clapping Larry

I love this. I'd worry about the gpu choking, but the cpu cooler prevents you from putting the side on the case, right?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sininu posted:

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more Noctua

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

denereal visease posted:

Are y'all afraid of dust or unable to resist the temptation of sticking your fingers in the fan (or have small ones that would do that)?

neither - case must close otherwise it’s an abomination

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its like a muscle car i think it's rad

howev a side panel with a big rear end scoop would be acceptable

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ChazTurbo posted:

Did steps 2-5 for the EVGA step up yesterday. Just need to mail in the GPU. Any recommendations on who and what to use for shipping?

I used UPS 2nd day air. Cost a good bit with insurance but it got there fine.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

axeil posted:

I used UPS 2nd day air. Cost a good bit with insurance but it got there fine.

I went with USPS priority and saved a bit of money over UPS/Fed Ex, but I live in California, so the shipping distance was relatively close and I factored that the risk of damage in transit was probably minimal in my case.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I also live in Northern California and used UPS to ship my card back to EVGA. Two days ground, insured for $900 and cost me about $36; shipping air would have gotten it there twice as fast but cost five times as much (around $140 I think?)

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

Sphyre posted:

i too would like more gpu goon rig pics

'poast your rigs'

Here is a pic I took after installing the card.
Corsair 4000D Airflow case
Ryzen 7 3700x

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I also live in Northern California and used UPS to ship my card back to EVGA. Two days ground, insured for $900 and cost me about $36; shipping air would have gotten it there twice as fast but cost five times as much (around $140 I think?)

That's not bad at all. Thanks.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I RMA'd my RX580 recently and used USPS for $28 insured, and it got from WI to CA in 2 days, a heck of a lot faster than Fed Ex was able to send the replacement back to me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Having dealt with fedex a couple times recently, they are NOT quick by any metric. Or accurately track their delivery times.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here's the SFF build (5900x/3080) I've been tooling around with since November:

It's been a mixed experience, all told. I got one of those Gigabyte 3080s with the borked power pins, though I also got lucky in the sense that it was just one pin that I was able to bend back into place long enough to get the PSU connector on. Makes me dread taking the card out, though.

Also my eyes keep telling me there's card sag, yet every time I actually force my head down there, it appears to be completely level. :confused:

edit: also it's hot as gently caress in regards to the CPU and GPU memory, no matter how much I mess around with the cooling

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 21, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Well I just the EVGA queue notification, and it was for.... a 3070 XC3 Ultra. I signed up in November.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Cross-Section posted:

Here's the SFF build (5900x/3080) I've been tooling around with since November:

It's been a mixed experience, all told. I got one of those Gigabyte 3080s with the borked power pins, though I also got lucky in the sense that it was just one pin that I was able to bend back into place long enough to get the PSU connector on. Makes me dread taking the card out, though.

Also my eyes keep telling me there's card sag, yet every time I actually force my head down there, it appears to be completely level. :confused:

I'd say just leave the card in place unless it's absolutely necessary to remove it. I have a Gigabyte 3090 and I'm praying to god that I won't need to deal with Gigabyte's RMA department in the future given the dozens of horror stories there seem to be out there. The card I have is great, but it's an extra concern I have that I didn't have with my EVGA card.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mA posted:

I'd say just leave the card in place unless it's absolutely necessary to remove it. I have a Gigabyte 3090 and I'm praying to god that I won't need to deal with Gigabyte's RMA department in the future given the dozens of horror stories there seem to be out there. The card I have is great, but it's an extra concern I have that I didn't have with my EVGA card.

I had a feeling that customer service was screwy when I couldn't actually register my card through the US website and had to go on their international(?) one instead.

The card itself has been fine (aside from the high memory temps); I was even able to get BAR working on it. Still, I'm thankful to have a 1080 as backup in case poo poo goes bad.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sininu posted:

oh my dear god, i've heard of GPU sag before but this takes it to a new level

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kunabomber posted:

Well I just the EVGA queue notification, and it was for.... a 3070 XC3 Ultra. I signed up in November.

are there limits? If you buy the 3070 would you be unable to buy any other

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ayo gently caress ohio

gently caress an ohio though, gotta go back to the homeland Taiwan no lines. Build only though (might be able to buy 2000 series?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQEqv8jWdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj23LGmwxUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUiPiUmpOi4

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So I have GTX 1060 and am looking to upgrade; I know next to nothing about graphics cards these days aside from they're really hard to find without making an effort. I'm thinking an RTX 3060 but am open to other ideas for an upgrade. Also any tips on how to track one down would be appreciated.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Holy hell what is going on in Ohio?

Also, I remembered hearing that Newegg Shuffle winners get notified early in the notification period, was that ever confirmed? Lately when the clock hits 6pm EST I'm just like "welp another loss" before the email comes at like 10pm.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So I have GTX 1060 and am looking to upgrade; I know next to nothing about graphics cards these days aside from they're really hard to find without making an effort. I'm thinking an RTX 3060 but am open to other ideas for an upgrade. Also any tips on how to track one down would be appreciated.

what are you using it for

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Alan Smithee posted:

what are you using it for

single monitor gaming, 4k

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You remember how AMD cards used to be a joke?

Well what if I told you they are almost just as good for gaming and depending on who you ask might be better?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they are really good and its not a fair comparison with RTX when RTX is missing.

Incidentally, I have 4 6700xt's coming in about 2 weeks. Come to my SA-mart thread or PM me if you want more details.

Its probably more than you want to spend, but the "budget" lineup has yet to show up this gen. Expect 600+ and thats at MSRP. The days of $300 GPU seem like a distant memory. I still wish my rx580 was solidly middle tier.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

ayo gently caress ohio

gently caress an ohio though, gotta go back to the homeland Taiwan no lines. Build only though (might be able to buy 2000 series?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQEqv8jWdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj23LGmwxUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUiPiUmpOi4

are GPUs actually easier to get a hold of in taiwan?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

are GPUs actually easier to get a hold of in taiwan?

most of the companies are taiwanese. So yeah its way closer to the supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't think a 3060 is particularly good for 4k without turning down some settings, it's more of a 1440p kinda card from my understanding. Still, if you're looking for a 3060, someone in SA Mart is selling one!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965445&pagenumber=1&perpage=40