Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Hopefully JOE BIDEN will take care of medical debt being able to be discharged through bankruptcy, just like he did for student debt

President Biden, our Board Members yearn for a YOY increase in ARR

Lib and let die has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

my friend's wife was pregnant (high risk pregnancy) and went to Utah to visit her sister, ended up having some health issues and was flown via helicopter to a bigger city and had the baby early at 28 or 29 weeks. probably entirely out of network so they are turbo hosed once the bills start showing up

he's joking about a million dollar baby and I think it can happen

Yep it absolutely can. I had a work friend who had a premature birth and she had to spend 2 weeks in the hospital and her son had to spend over a month. Total bills topped $1 million. The only thing that saved her from complete ruination was that her son's birth weight was low enough that he qualified for medicaid covering most of the bills.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

President Biden, our Board Members yearn for a YOY increase in ARR

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

is pepsi ok posted:

Yep it absolutely can. I had a work friend who had a premature birth and she had to spend 2 weeks in the hospital and her son had to spend over a month. Total bills topped $1 million. The only thing that saved her from complete ruination was that her son's birth weight was low enough that he qualified for medicaid covering most of the bills.
the system works

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

jesus christ

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
im jdpon now

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

paul_soccer12 posted:

is she seriously just the sin eater lightning rod for the succ dems or what. she's acting like a wrestling heel

yes

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

im jdpon now

:haibrow:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1384889220620300291

Lizard people.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Vote blue no matter who

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

paul_soccer12 posted:

im jdpon now

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

probably entirely out of network so they are turbo hosed once the bills start showing up

lol I had to make an appt for surgery and asked if the surgeon was in network and they basically shrugged and said they couldnt tell until the eval

during eval he started surgery. so we'll see how that goes

like wtf am i supposed to do with my guts exposed to daylight "Hmmm sorry doc before you go further I need to pull up my insurance mobile health portal. No no this won't take long. The UI is very responsive"

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

paul_soccer12 posted:

jesus christ

it really is insane. my nephew had the same situation, he was super premature and his mom had amniotic band syndrome, which resulted in a ton of complications and him losing one of his legs below the knee in the womb. He was under the weight limit for medicaid by about 2 ounces, so if he hadn't lost his leg his mom would have been hit with the 6 months of NICU bills. As it stands now he gets all his medical care, including prostetic legs, for free, but since the US hates giving it's citizens anything they make him take cognitive tests every year like he's on medicaid for brain damage instead of a missing leg. jdpon sounds extreme but at this point i'll give it a chance.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Marx Headroom posted:

lol I had to make an appt for surgery and asked if the surgeon was in network and they basically shrugged and said they couldnt tell until the eval

like wtf am i supposed to do with my guts exposed to daylight "Hmmm sorry doc before you go further I need to pull up my insurance mobile health portal. No no this won't take long. The UI is very responsive"

also there's the old surgeon is in network but the anesthesiologist is not trick they like to pull.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

This is terrifying. There were some complications with our second born that required some lengthy hospital stays and my union saved our lives.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

who did you call, the hospital or the insurance company?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

VOTE but don't you dare primary him

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

who did you call, the hospital or the insurance company?

the hospital. if that was a dumb move please lmk so I can add it to the gamefaqs cheats + secrets section

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is there a point where this house of cards collapses? I would think with less and less people having "good" insurance and medical prices rising to infinity because profits need to be shown every quarter there's a point where the populace just can't afford to see doctors without assuming they are not going to pay for it and every clinic either has to shutter or spend all its time trying to recoup losses from those people. It's not like you can repo a surgery (yet, yeah I know they made a movie about this).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

the hospital. if that was a dumb move please lmk so I can add it to the gamefaqs cheats + secrets section

yeah you need to call the insurance company. any hospital will "take" money from your insurance, that doesn't mean they have a binding agreement that they won't balance bill you for the rest

us healthcare: its always more hosed up than you think

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Eggplant Squire posted:

Is there a point where this house of cards collapses? I would think with less and less people having "good" insurance and medical prices rising to infinity because profits need to be shown every quarter there's a point where the populace just can't afford to see doctors without assuming they are not going to pay for it and every clinic either has to shutter or spend all its time trying to recoup losses from those people. It's not like you can repo a surgery (yet, yeah I know they made a movie about this).

I feel like if COVID didn't force the issue, it'll just kind of drag on in perpetuity with no major event that changes anything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

is pepsi ok posted:

so what's the over/under on this bet :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah you need to call the insurance company. any hospital will "take" money from your insurance, that doesn't mean they have a binding agreement that they won't balance bill you for the rest

unironically good to know thanks

adding to the absurdity this was the only hospital open while i was bleeding from a deep cut. like in the consumer choice model youre supposed to just apply pressure and keep it elevated until all the billing depts open so you can get estimates and comparison shop, i guess

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

BraveUlysses posted:

so what's the over/under on this bet :v:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Eggplant Squire posted:

Depending on the year, medical expenses make up around 17-20% of the US's fake-rear end gdp

So no, that house of cards will be kept up no matter what

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the system works, it's the people that are the problem

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fleetwood posted:

the system works, it's the people that are the problem

if modeling a cow as a sphere results in incorrect predictions, clearly we need to engineer a spherical cow

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

apparently hospitals will sometimes reduce the price, even dramatically so, if you ask them to itemize your hospital bill because they'll jack up the prices by charging like 500 bucks for an adhesive bandage aka band-aid or whatever

m4a isn't enough, it's past time to demand nationalizing healthcare

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine complaining about medical bills when you can always cook meth to sell in your basement.

"Tipped wage" is the dumbest thing, that's just subsidizing the owner with your tips.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Eggplant Squire posted:

you dumb bitch

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

you dumb bitch

It's true

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
lol I missed this one

https://twitter.com/Gothamist/status/1384263772127125515?s=20

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Some-Cuomo-staff-dispute-work-on-book-was-16087163.php

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure this is happening just as much as Gaetz going to prison.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
john q, the movie where denzel washington crack-pings over the medical system and holds the hospital hostage to get his son medical care that he cant afford, came out 19 years ago

the operation he couldnt afford was just $250,000, a tiny number compared to what medical bills cost now lmao

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm sure this is happening just as much as Gaetz going to prison.

No way he's totally gonna face consequences just like trimp

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sure you got a million dollar hospital bill and your finances are ruined... but have you considered that private health insurance makes rich people a lot of money? It's a complex issue OK?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bootleg Trunks posted:

No way he's totally gonna face consequences just like trimp

It's interesting no one is talking about those supposed state charges against Trump anymore. And the Justice Department doesn't seem like it's going to do anything, either.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

remember cuomo murdering a bunch of old people and constantly harassing underlings? Me neither

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

remember cuomo murdering a bunch of old people and constantly harassing underlings? Me neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1384983752074485762