Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

quote:

SD slot.

Roadie posted:

features they never needed when it just iPads.

That is a load bearing "they", I think plenty of iPad users would have loved an SD card slot. Apple, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The SD card on the back is a little awkward but it's way more convenient than any of the alternatives and it sucks that it's gone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My main problem with removing an SD card slot is that the vast majority of USB SD readers are garbage. They're at the stage of their life where there's no point in manufacturing a good one.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

My main problem with removing an SD card slot is that the vast majority of USB SD readers are garbage. They're at the stage of their life where there's no point in manufacturing a good one.

It sucks that they got rid of it on the iMac, but https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUFG2AM/A/usb-c-to-sd-card-reader

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Won’t you take me to... dongletown.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm personally super stoked about the Touch ID keyboard BTW. I don't know if it is my setup but Apple Watch unlock seems to work like poo poo for me and my husband won't wear an Apple Watch, or any watch for that matter.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mu Zeta posted:

gimme the 14" now. Also if that's true then it's pretty funny how a desktop iMac doesn't have the SD slot.

I'm there for the 14" pro on day one, provided it doesn't have the touch bar. If the air is my only non-touchbar option, then so be it!

Xabi posted:

They will rule but they won’t be cheap. At all.

I'd be shocked if there was any sort of significant premium for machines with M1X chips. Apple typically hasn't played that game with other products, just incremental price increases over time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If there's a 14" Pro with M1X and it exists alongside the 13" Pro with M1 I think it will cost at least $1800 for starting.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

frogbs posted:

I'm there for the 14" pro on day one, provided it doesn't have the touch bar. If the air is my only non-touchbar option, then so be it!

I'd be shocked if there was any sort of significant premium for machines with M1X chips. Apple typically hasn't played that game with other products, just incremental price increases over time.

leaked specs were dropped on Mac rumor earlier today. No Touch Bar. Three USBC-thunderbolt ports, an HDMI port on the right side, and a SD card reader.... and the return of MagSafe.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

leaked specs were dropped on Mac rumor earlier today. No Touch Bar. Three USBC-thunderbolt ports, an HDMI port on the right side, and a SD card reader.... and the return of MagSafe.

lol an SD card reader.

I’ll believe that when I see it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Why? Because they removed it from the iMacs?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Can someone explain to me who is using sd cards in 2021 and what they are being used for?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

The Lord Bude posted:

Can someone explain to me who is using sd cards in 2021 and what they are being used for?

Photographers and videographers so basically most creatives lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Three Olives posted:

Honestly the only thing that surprises me about all of this is the didn't offer a display only version of the iMac as a secondary iMac display or a Mac Mini display, it feels like dual displays at home have become incredibly common among the work from home crowd and as we start to move back to the offices like there is an open market for a dual display situation from home that doesn't look like poo poo.

I'm surprised there's not a version of the iMac with an ultrawide display, I think that it would be really desirable to more than just professionals enjoying the vast increase in screen space.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

beergod posted:

Photographers and videographers so basically most creatives lol

I would have thought those sorts of high end gear would have USB cables or something by now? My old $100 digital camera from 2005 used a cable to transfer photos to a pc.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
They're gonna have pencil support for the iMac pro

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: misunderstood

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Lord Bude posted:

I would have thought those sorts of high end gear would have USB cables or something by now? My old $100 digital camera from 2005 used a cable to transfer photos to a pc.

If you're buying high end gear you're probably also carrying around a case full of microSD cards, swapping those into the camera and using another cable to transfer the data is way slower than just being able to plug the storage directly into your computer.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Xabi posted:

They will rule but they won’t be cheap. At all.

It's apple. I have a 8 core i9 16" with 32/2T and honestly, I like it, but I am *SO* ready to leave intel/amd behind. I'll pay top dollar for the M1X. (The 16" is a fine machine, but AMD Drivers, Intel heat and the hardware struggling to 'get' Metal really has me jonesing for the M1X).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

That is just a Apple Desktop Bus Mouse Ⅰ that somebody spraypainted bronze.
(The TAM didn't come with a mouse.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Lord Bude posted:

using a cable to transfer photos is a pain in the rear end not only because it also ties up your camera while you're doing it and you can only do one card at a time. sd cards are a must for me and i don't even do it for a living full time

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mediaphage posted:

using a cable to transfer photos is a pain in the rear end not only because it also ties up your camera while you're doing it and you can only do one card at a time. sd cards are a must for me and i don't even do it for a living full time

I don't do this at all so genuine question, even if you have a SD slot, you're still doing one card at a time? I ask because like the other poster I assumed prosumer+ workflows were all fast cable stuff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

I don't do this at all so genuine question, even if you have a SD slot, you're still doing one card at a time? I ask because like the other poster I assumed prosumer+ workflows were all fast cable stuff.

yeah but it's way quicker to pull cards in and out of a slot (especially since you don't have to deal with those ridiculous clicky push in slots anymore) than to fumble plugging a cable into a camera port and still have to unlock a card slot on a camera, yank the card out, put the new card in, close the slot, maybe have to plug back in, etc. slots are just way easier.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You have more than one card. So while one card is in your MacBook importing into Lightroom, you're still shooting onto another card.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

American McGay posted:

You have more than one card. So while one card is in your MacBook importing into Lightroom, you're still shooting onto another card.

this too.

it's true that some super high end cameras have moved past sd cards to cfxpress (which is similar form factor but not the same) but even if the slots didn't support it i'd have a reader

also, something i thought of - if i'm editing on my ipad, especially when i'm not at home, it's way nicer to just plug the card into the adapter than try and hook my camera up and have it strung across my lap or whatever.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

squirrelzipper posted:

Nah, using your $3k camera as a transfer device is a huge pain. An SD slot is more portable, cleaner, and doesn’t risk your big, expensive gear.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

~Coxy posted:

That is just a Apple Desktop Bus Mouse Ⅰ that somebody spraypainted bronze.
(The TAM didn't come with a mouse.)

Whoever did it had no idea how to match the TAM's color and finish.

Inside the opinions-vary shell, the TAM is completely :can:. They designed few new printed circuit boards for it, it's just a bunch of parts bin stuff borrowed from contemporary low end Macs jammed into a thin (for the time) chassis by interconnecting everything with a rat's nest of ribbon cables.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like to think the owner's finger and thumb tips are permanently bronze too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

frogbs posted:

Honestly, I’m there for whichever one comes in funky iMac colors. Like I could probably be pretty set with M1. My hunch is MBP is staying silver/space grey only.

The Lord Bude posted:

so you can lose all of your footage if something happens to the drive in the camera?

not only do all pro/prosumer cameras still rely on cards, one of the main basic required features on higher end cameras these days is dual slots for redundancy.

Also it’s quite common to fill up and need to swap cards in the middle of a shoot, and spending the time to manually dump the footage (or even doing it over WiFi) is to piss away prime billable time

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Is it a generational thing that so many people hate the TAM? I mean, Jobs hated it too, but as a 40 year old, the TAM was just so lust worthy like on a level for a tech product that probably wasn't hit again until the Sony XEL-1, which is a product that to this day you still see in the bathrooms, kitchens and home offices of people that spend a lot more money just maintaining their home per year than you will ever be able to pay in total for your home.

I'm still baffled at why Sony has never reissued the Sony XEL-1, I PROMISE YOU they could sell enough units at the price it originally cost adjusted for inflation to make their money back, it remains to this day a product that is just, if you know, YOU KNOW what that fucker is and if someone has one, they almost certainly paid full price when it was brand new.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Is it a generational thing that so many people hate the TAM? I mean, Jobs hated it too, but as a 40 year old, the TAM was just so lust worthy like on a level for a tech product that probably wasn't hit again until the Sony XEL-1, which is a product that to this day you still see in the bathrooms, kitchens and home offices of people that spend a lot more money just maintaining their home per year than you will ever be able to pay in total for your home.

I'm still baffled at why Sony has never reissued the Sony XEL-1, I PROMISE YOU they could sell enough units at the price it originally cost adjusted for inflation to make their money back, it remains to this day a product that is just, if you know, YOU KNOW what that fucker is and if someone has one, they almost certainly paid full price when it was brand new.

Is this where we find out that Three Olives is like 63 years old?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is this where we find out that Three Olives is like 63 years old?

Dude, that fucker sold last year AT GOODWILL for $750, a 13 year old 11 TV, not even HD. They didn't even bother to dust off the thing and take detailed photos.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/89714031

And it probably only sold for that little because rich people don't browse the Indiana Goodwill listings for used TVs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Dude, that fucker sold last year AT GOODWILL for $750, a 13 year old 11 TV, not even HD. They didn't even bother to dust off the thing and take detailed photos.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/89714031

And it probably only sold for that little because rich people don't browse the Indiana Goodwill listings for used TVs.

oh no, don’t misunderstand me. I agree that it’s a collector’s piece that somebody will pay handsomely for.

I was literally only commenting on your “...as a 40 year old...” comment.

I was picturing you as a 40 year old in 1997, lusting after a Twentieth Anniversary Mac spotted in the background of a photo in a Sharper Image catalog while waiting for Fraisier to start

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm selling my 16in Macbook pro and buying a M1 Macbook air.

Before I place my order, is the base model quick enough? I honestly don't do a lot of heavy lifting these days with laptops and don't need the storage, but I'm worried that 8gb will not be enough.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm selling my 16in Macbook pro and buying a M1 Macbook air.

Before I place my order, is the base model quick enough? I honestly don't do a lot of heavy lifting these days with laptops and don't need the storage, but I'm worried that 8gb will not be enough.

Get the 8 core GPU (if you spec anything higher than 256gb storage on the 7 core they charge you the same price as the 8 core without giving you the missing core, and I still contend that 256 is too small and 512 is much more comfortable), and get 16gb RAM.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get the 8 core GPU (if you spec anything higher than 256gb storage on the 7 core they charge you the same price as the 8 core without giving you the missing core, and I still contend that 256 is too small and 512 is much more comfortable), and get 16gb RAM.

Does the extra core make that big of a difference?

I guess I might as well dress it up a bit more. I was thinking about just getting the $950 Amazon special tbh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Does the extra core make that big of a difference?

I guess I might as well dress it up a bit more. I was thinking about just getting the $950 Amazon special tbh.

let me put it like this- if somebody told me that I could pay the same amount of money for either of two computers that were identical, except for one having 12.5% more working GPU cores than the other, I’d probably want to go with the one that had more GPU.

Also you should be buying it through either the official Apple refurb store or with the education discount.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Three Olives posted:

I have never seen this TV before in my life, which tells me I need to in more expensive bathrooms?

Edit: Lmao, this is an 11" tv.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Unless you're a day-1 adopter, always always always buy Apple refurb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

American McGay posted:

Unless you're a day-1 adopter, always always always buy Apple refurb.

Unless they don't have the thing you're after or you get a better discount from somewhere else like when I got my Air.