Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Scruffpuff posted:

OK I got a question about my car that's been bugging me, it's a bizarre trait I've never had on other cars, I'll describe it best I can.

Make/Model: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T, 8-cyl 5.7 liter
Transmission: 8-speed auto

The weird thing:

99.99% of the time the car runs absolutely fine and as expected. But living as I do in an area with a lot of elderly drivers going 15 MPH in a 45 zone, I occasionally find myself behind one such driver for an extended time. Once a lane to pass finally opens up, often with a limited runway, I hit the gas to get around the guy, admittedly probably much harder than I should - I think I'm converting blood pressure to foot pressure. In these rare cases, those times when I REALLY need the power I know the car has, the engine roars to life, downshifts, does all the things the engine should do. The problem is, the car doesn't actually go anywhere. It's almost like the transmission shifts into neutral while the engine makes all its impressive noises, which does me no actual good.

The car in in perfect shape...

Does anyone have any clues? Does any of this sound familiar? It's a real drag, and the only real problem I've had with this car.

I'm commenting on something I know nothing about...or maybe a tiny bit. I have heard that the ECU will respond and set itself to the driving (throttle) habits of the operator, and that sudden changes in expected/programmed behaviour can make the car behave somewhat oddly.

For the love of god, please, someone that understands this better, please post.

e: are you loving kidding me on the new page

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So apparently I'm utter poo poo at drilling out bolts that have rusted solid (or were welded into it, who knows). The 3 bolts on the exhaust flange that connects to the distal end of the cat an mi '98 S10 were messed up by rust, so I had to cut them off. I now need to drill the remains out in order to fit the exhaust again. I am thinking that it'll take many hours and drill heads to do this as it took ages just getting a few mm's into one of the holes. I drilled at a decent speed and used plent of cutting oil. I'm thinking that I should probably just say gently caress it and order one of these that has the flange in question: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=975721&jsn=__GIP__4__.

Would it be a decent idea to get this, cut the old one off at the same length and use one of those bridging pipes? I don't have a welder.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 18, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Will removing the flange ears and installing a triangle split flange work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FX4050SP-2-1-2-2-5-Triangle-Exhaust-Split-Flange-For-2-1-4-2-25-Flared-Y-Pipe-/161349744382

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Does anyone have any clues? Does any of this sound familiar? It's a real drag, and the only real problem I've had with this car.

DBW affects a bunch of brands with the symptoms you describe. And yeah, with transmission adaptations combined with everything else it is a mess. Sounds like your transmission is trying to hunt for the right gear by what you describe.

You might be a candidate for a throttle mapping tool. Pedal commander and Banks have their own versions and they are $300 (about the going price for a jpeg) but a lot of people swear by them. Amazon carries the pedal commander so if you make the plunge it will be an easy return if it doesn't work in your scenario.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Does any marque other than Porsche recognize a "double tap" on the noisy pedal to mean "downshift two gears"? Because that could fix the problem right there. I use it all the time, especially when pulling a trailer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Does any marque other than Porsche recognize a "double tap" on the noisy pedal to mean "downshift two gears"? Because that could fix the problem right there. I use it all the time, especially when pulling a trailer.

I've yet to see another marque with it which is a shame because it's a fantastic idea.

Scruffpuff posted:

The problem is, the car doesn't actually go anywhere. It's almost like the transmission shifts into neutral while the engine makes all its impressive noises, which does me no actual good.

Its working nominally for a cryco slushy.
seriouspost. use Sport mode/reflash the pcm to be more responsive.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Scruffpuff posted:

OK I got a question about my car that's been bugging me, it's a bizarre trait I've never had on other cars, I'll describe it best I can.

The weird thing:

99.99% of the time the car runs absolutely fine and as expected. But living as I do in an area with a lot of elderly drivers going 15 MPH in a 45 zone, I occasionally find myself behind one such driver for an extended time. Once a lane to pass finally opens up, often with a limited runway, I hit the gas to get around the guy, admittedly probably much harder than I should - I think I'm converting blood pressure to foot pressure. In these rare cases, those times when I REALLY need the power I know the car has, the engine roars to life, downshifts, does all the things the engine should do. The problem is, the car doesn't actually go anywhere. It's almost like the transmission shifts into neutral while the engine makes all its impressive noises, which does me no actual good.

Do the RPMs surge and then drop? Does the car shutter when it starts speeding up again? Does it happen more when you're turning (particularly to the left)? Because "it feels like my car shifts to neutral while my RPMs spike" is exactly what a slipping transmission feels like, and many will start slipping only when you're trying to floor it at first. While a car that new shouldn't be slipping, it's not outside the realm of possibility considering it's a torquey engine.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Motronic posted:

I mean it's a CVT so "gears" is a frame of mind, but double-tapping the gas pedal in my crosstrek will downshift

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DildenAnders posted:

Do the RPMs surge and then drop? Does the car shutter when it starts speeding up again? Does it happen more when you're turning (particularly to the left)? Because "it feels like my car shifts to neutral while my RPMs spike" is exactly what a slipping transmission feels like, and many will start slipping only when you're trying to floor it at first. While a car that new shouldn't be slipping, it's not outside the realm of possibility considering it's a torquey engine.

None of those things happen, and this when I'm going straight. It's not a slip exactly, the feel is almost like the electronic controls are second-guessing me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Motronic posted:

I got a car with paddle shifters for this reason, but my car's transmission is responsive enough that I rarely need to use it.

Tapping a paddle is also much less fun than driving a manual. :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a way to test if a strut is leaking when it's in the whole assembly, off the car? I pulled a couple struts that I couldn't find leaking on from a car in a junkyard yesterday because the assemblies were $20 each while the only new struts are $200, but I've never done an inspection on struts myself so I'd like to take a look before sticking them on if possible. At the same time, I plan on just swapping the whole assembly if possible because then I don't have to gently caress around with a spring compressor.

Second question, that car seemed to have upgraded brakes but had been sitting for a couple months with the wheels off so there's rust all over the rotors, are they a loss at this point? How do I tell if it has rusted to the point of pitting vs the point of cleaning and polishing?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 18, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

sarcastx posted:

As far as I'm aware it's impossible to open the driver's door without the sound going off besides disconnecting the speaker (or battery).
Here's a sample if you wish to subject yourself.
https://i.imgur.com/5Vy0rIt.mp4

How's this look?

Update on this post:
I decided "gently caress it" and skipped the resistor. Engine off = speaker completely disconnected, no load on the wire. So far the car is not complaining (and neither am I!)
And the turn signal sound & other miscellaneous beeps work properly when the car is running.

I decided not to bother sourcing a connector set - once I'd found the technical drawings for that connector I knew how to "undo" the housing to back the positive terminal out of the connector. I then ran a separate male terminal from that pin back to the relay, wrapped the whole mess in electrical tape and physically secured the wire & relay back to the main harness. I figure this way if I ever need to reverse the setup to stock I can do it (and I didn't need to cut any wires either).

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 18, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

I got a car with paddle shifters for this reason, but my car's transmission is responsive enough that I rarely need to use it.

Tapping a paddle is also much less fun than driving a manual. :(

Yeah, I have paddles too (or you can toggle with the shifter) but I just don't use them. If I touch one then I have to move the shifter into "maunmatic" mode and back over to automatic. Much easier to just double tap. It also literally drops directly two gears when you do that, which is not possible with the paddles that would make you pass through an intermediate gear on the way.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

If I understand this contraption correctly, I'll grind off the "ears" (i.e the bits with the holes) and the feed the bolts through the cat flange holes and compress it that way? My only concern is that it looks les "clean" than having one of those bridge pipes. For inspection etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I have paddles too (or you can toggle with the shifter) but I just don't use them. If I touch one then I have to move the shifter into "maunmatic" mode and back over to automatic.

That's annoying. Mine will pop back into normal drive mode after a few seconds of constant throttle driving. If I stay on or off the gas (eg, engine braking down a hill), it will stay in manual mode.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Mine will pop back into normal drive mode after a few seconds of constant throttle driving.

I think I have something to try the next time I'm out driving. I don't remember this being a thing, but it's been so long that perhaps I never actually waited long enough/tried.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrOnBicycle posted:

If I understand this contraption correctly, I'll grind off the "ears" (i.e the bits with the holes) and the feed the bolts through the cat flange holes and compress it that way? My only concern is that it looks less "clean" than having one of those bridge pipes. For inspection etc.

I would check your local shop/inspection facility to be sure - the ones I have used are far more rugged than the stamped piece that's welded on. Never had anyone question their use, though. They work great

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

(Crossposting from the VW/Audi thread)

Okay so I have a 2007 GTI, intermittent P0100 code (MAF circuit malfunction). Car drives normally and then sometimes has a tiny stutter on throttle and the light will turn on. This happens once every 2-3 weeks and sometimes the CEL will turn itself off without me clearing it, then will show up later on. I figured this was a loose connection or intermittent connection.

I got around to this today, using Torque graphed the following while I drove around my block (2nd and 3rd gear and not hitting peak boost):

At baseline:

That data looks really normal to me but I'd be curious if anyone thinks otherwise.

There's that spot on the mk5 GTIs where the MAF loom is kinked 90 deg to a clip on the air tube that feeds turbo sound into the firewall. There have been reports of a wire failing in that area because of the awkward kink. I left the engine running and pulled the loom out of the clip there and manipulated it every which way while watching live data from the MAF and nothing unusual happened. I grabbed the harness plug (onto the MAF from the loom) and wiggled it around, pulled at each wire, twisted stuff about, again nothing unusual on the live graph.

Any idea for next place to look? I'm reluctant to take the MAF out to hit it with sensor cleaner after seeing what looks like very normal readings. I don't see any area where unmetered air could be entering the intake tract after the MAF.

Quoting myself to say that I finally managed to capture the data anomaly in the sensor:

To me this looks like the sensor is failing (not the wiring). I would expect with failing wiring the signal would drop to zero and not have super high random data points. If anyone has something to add I'm all ears, but I figure I'll order a new MAF at this point.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why couldn't the signal wire be shorting to ground, 5v or even 12v somewhere intermittently?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Why couldn't the signal wire be shorting to ground, 5v or even 12v somewhere intermittently?

That's a good question, I tried to rule this out by manipulating it as best I could aggressively (detached from loom mounting points and really went to town) at every point from the main loom to the MAF itself while looking at live MAF data, I can't imagine that it's somehow shorting out to other rails or to ground when I'm just gently driving around. I also don't live in an area where we have salt on our roads for much of the year and overall there isn't any visible corrosion that I would expect to see in a car having loom continuity issues. But it could still be happening somewhere in the firewall or similar.

I absolutely think that it could be shorting out within the sensor itself given that it looks like this and might have a PCB inside (I don't know for sure but it looks more complex than the heated wire stuff I'm used to seeing):

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Of course it's more complicated, it's a Volkswagen.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PainterofCrap posted:

I would check your local shop/inspection facility to be sure - the ones I have used are far more rugged than the stamped piece that's welded on. Never had anyone question their use, though. They work great

I tried to find one of those you linked that didn't need shipping from the US, and I managed to find the exhaust part that I need for less than it would cost to ship from the US, so I'll cut it to size and use a bridgning pipe so attach them together. If I get a welder in the future I can weld it all together as well. Thank for the help!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

VelociBacon posted:

That's a good question, I tried to rule this out by manipulating it as best I could aggressively (detached from loom mounting points and really went to town) at every point from the main loom to the MAF itself while looking at live MAF data, I can't imagine that it's somehow shorting out to other rails or to ground when I'm just gently driving around. I also don't live in an area where we have salt on our roads for much of the year and overall there isn't any visible corrosion that I would expect to see in a car having loom continuity issues. But it could still be happening somewhere in the firewall or similar.

I absolutely think that it could be shorting out within the sensor itself given that it looks like this and might have a PCB inside (I don't know for sure but it looks more complex than the heated wire stuff I'm used to seeing):

Hit up a junkyard and nab a used one or two before you spring for a brand new one. It's still a heated wire sensor, though.

Also some GMs use a drat near identical sensor. This is the one my old Saturn used:

e: I just looked up the one yours uses... they are drat near identical, possibly the same OEM even? Probably mapped/pinned differently, there's an $80 difference in the same brand.

Junkyard candidates for a used sensor:
AUDI A3 2005-2008
AUDI TT 2007-2013
VOLKSWAGEN BORA 2006-2010
VOLKSWAGEN EOS 2007-2009
VOLKSWAGEN GLI 2010
VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2012-2013
VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2006-2008
VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2006-2008
VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 2006-2010

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 19, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

STR posted:

Hit up a junkyard and nab a used one or two before you spring for a brand new one.

Also some GMs use a drat near identical sensor. This is the one my old Saturn used:

e: I just looked up the one yours uses... they are drat near identical, possibly the same OEM even? Probably mapped/pinned differently, there's an $80 difference in the same brand.

Junkyard candidates for a used sensor:
AUDI A3 2005-2008
AUDI TT 2007-2013
VOLKSWAGEN BORA 2006-2010
VOLKSWAGEN EOS 2007-2009
VOLKSWAGEN GLI 2010
VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2012-2013
VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2006-2008
VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2006-2008
VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 2006-2010

That's crazy, thanks for that breakdown, I'll have to see but I have a kneejerk reaction to avoid junkyards, the ones here in Vancouver are all just ran by scumlords and I feel like I'd be paying the same cost as a new bosch one for something that might have it's own issues.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, I was assuming you might have access to a DIY yard. :doh:

I'm not entirely sure that's the sensor myself, that momentary dropout does seem more like wiring... but if you can't get it to drop out while loving around with the harness, and you've already ohmed out the signal wire, the sensor would be my next guess. You've tried wiggling wires at the ECU too? And checked any grounds related to the sensor and ECU?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 19, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

STR posted:

Oh, I was assuming you might have access to a DIY yard. :doh:

I'm not entirely sure that's the sensor myself, that momentary dropout does seem more like wiring... but if you can't get it to drop out while loving around with the harness, and you've already ohmed out the signal wire, the sensor would be my next guess. You've tried wiggling wires at the ECU too? And checked any grounds related to the sensor and ECU?

I haven't gone into the ECU because it's such a nightmare, you have to pull the wipers, it's kinda underneath them inside the firewall and you need to bend metal clips to get it out etc.

I picked up a delphi sensor replacement on Amazon where I have prime and can just return it if it doesn't solve the issue. Thanks!

e: I grew up going to u-pick yards but afaik they're basically obsolete here now. They have staff that go and pick the part for you and you pick it up and overpay.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 19, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

What you really need is a scope that you attach to the requisite pins on the sensor, and then you take it for a drive to see which wire fucks up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Opinions on 3M Obsidian tint?

I had to tear my front window tint off awhile back - when I first bought my car, the tint measured at 24%..... legal limit is 25%. (seriously dude? that's within the margin of error on your loving meter). The rest of the tint is in rough shape too (purple everywhere, bubbling a bit on the hatch) - I'm likely going to remove it myself (steam) and get the car re-tinted. Car is very much a beater, so I don't care that much about the longevity of the tint.. I just want it to be not-purple. And not gently caress with my Bill Gates 5G tracking chip implant cell phone reception, so no metalized film. I'm not THAT concerned about heat rejection since the car is normally garaged and doesn't really get driven during the day.

I got an okay quote from the place across the street from me, and I deliver to them fairly often (I still do food delivery in the mornings after work, they order breakfast most weekdays), hoping maybe I can work a "just zero out the tip if it's me delivering for the next couple of months" if they'll cut me a deal (they tip very generously, and I'm often the only driver online in this area at that hour).

VelociBacon posted:

I haven't gone into the ECU because it's such a nightmare, you have to pull the wipers, it's kinda underneath them inside the firewall and you need to bend metal clips to get it out etc.

I picked up a delphi sensor replacement on Amazon where I have prime and can just return it if it doesn't solve the issue. Thanks!

e: I grew up going to u-pick yards but afaik they're basically obsolete here now. They have staff that go and pick the part for you and you pick it up and overpay.

Oh yeah... VW. :cripes: Delphi is good, but the Delphi sensor has a good shot at really being a Hitachi. Hitachi was the OEM for GM's sensors, even the ones with a Delphi logo on them; the Hitachi sensor I bought (at half the price of the Delphi) showed up in a Hitachi box... with a Delphi logo and GM part number on the actual sensor once I pulled it out of the box. :v: (Rockauto did mention Hitachi was the OEM) If that doesn't do it though, you're gonna have to start poking at the ECU wiring.

Where I grew up the yards were a bit of "if you wanna pull it, we'll take you to the car, or if you want to at least see the car first, we'll let you see it", but that was before some of our stair-climbing forum members were even born (1990s). Then spent 20 years surrounded by multiple Pick n Pull (branded) yards + plenty of other DIY yards.

Where I'm at now, it's LKQ (30 minutes away, where you stand a good chance of getting charged an "extended warranty" for poo poo like an ashtray, and you don't notice until you look at the receipt later.. which is helpfully stamped "NO WARRANTY" when you walk out), or Wrench A Part (45 minutes away). Only DIY options where I'm at now. Plenty of full service yards, but I only do a full service yard for an engine or transmission, and even then, only if they're willing to install it and warranty it for at least 2 weeks. I don't have the garage space - or time - to do engine/transmission swaps. We have a DIY garage locally that's very well equipped, but it's $35/hour, and the only real help with that is the lift (they have air tools, but I have a decent cordless impact).

e: VVV listen to this guy, he's an actual engineer and knows how this stuff works far better than anybody else in here

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 19, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know that particular MAF but most of them output a frequency not a voltage. Generally higher frequency maps to higher massflow. It looks like you're getting maxed out readings when it fails - only thing I can think of is the sensor is failing or the wiring going intermittent is making it read a very high massflow rate, but it would be hard to cause that by hand, at least on the frequency ranges I've seen for them. Verify that that sensor is calibrated that way before trusting this info but my expectation is that a new sensor will fix this.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Ive been enjoying my Miata but never have experienced driving a higher horsepower vehicle and it would be cool to rent one for a day and take it down highway 35 or something, does anyone have experience with turo or rentals in the Bay Area, CA? I found a Porsche dealership that rents out 718s so thats an option

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There's a very inexpensive 6-speed 997 you can rent just south of SF. It's it nice shape, and is owned by Turo's CEO Andre Haddad (who is a really nice guy).

I highly recommend it. I've had it over several weekends in the before times.

Just know it's 100% bone stock, so no bluetooth or anything. It's often run like poop when i first got it because as he tells me "most people drive it to the city and park it in front of a restaurant". I've made it a point to flog it back into running well when I've had it. It doesn't take long.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 21, 2021

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Motronic posted:

There's a very inexpensive 6-speed 997 you can rent just south of SF. It's it nice shape, and is owned by Turo's CEO Andre Haddad (who is a really nice guy).

That's a beaut. The problem with Turo's website is that I am unable to filter by make/model, I'll be on the lookout

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thom ZombieForm posted:

That's a beaut. The problem with Turo's website is that I am unable to filter by make/model, I'll be on the lookout

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/hillsborough-ca/porsche/911/279

See if that works. That's from "car info" in my history.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Whats the best forum approved rust converter? I have some surface rust on the rear seatbelt brackets at the floorboard. Toyota told me to go gently caress myself on replacing them under restraint systems warranty (even though they corroded without any known water exposure :jerkbag:) because they won't do warranty work 'on a preventative basis' because 'its just surface rust.' They weren't responsive when I asked why a fatal catastrophic failure was the line for replacement so...

I don't really want to yank everything out and replace it myself (though I may eventually) so I'm just going to hit with a quick converter for the near term.

Thoughts?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What kind of finish are you after? I've used Por 15 and Eastwooda rust encapsulator and both have stood up well for a few years. I think cleaning it and waxing it would be enough though for something inside the cab that's only getting incidental moisture.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

StormDrain posted:

What kind of finish are you after? I've used Por 15 and Eastwooda rust encapsulator and both have stood up well for a few years. I think cleaning it and waxing it would be enough though for something inside the cab that's only getting incidental moisture.

Just something to stop the rust progression. Prob not painting it furtherjust light oil on it or something else after. Its just hard to access with the seatbelt running through it so it needs to be fairly easy to apply with a brush, so probably not a spray so I can minimize how much goes into the seatbelt itself.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Ive been enjoying my Miata but never have experienced driving a higher horsepower vehicle and it would be cool to rent one for a day and take it down highway 35 or something, does anyone have experience with turo or rentals in the Bay Area, CA? I found a Porsche dealership that rents out 718s so thats an option

Seconding Turo - I have used it to rent a Mustang, a WRX STI, and a Cayenne (all in the Hawaiian islands). Not the Bay Area, I know, but I do like the service. It's pretty affordable and the real treat is the variety available in larger cities (a friend of mine has rented a current-gen NSX in Chicago). In fact I recommend it for anyone who's considering going electric for their daily because there are lots of Teslas, and it's the only way I know of where you can try living with an electric car for like, a week.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 22, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

LeeMajors posted:

Just something to stop the rust progression. Prob not painting it further—just light oil on it or something else after. It’s just hard to access with the seatbelt running through it so it needs to be fairly easy to apply with a brush, so probably not a spray so I can minimize how much goes into the seatbelt itself.

If it's just light surface rust I'd ignore it, TBH. You are more likely to reduce the belt strength by getting paint in it than you are to ever notice the difference in strength from rust on the bracket. Those generally get a light coating of flash rust and then never progress past that point.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Would a dent in a power steering pump reservoir make it unusable?

I was trying to rebuild in the one on the left and succeeded in ovaling out the bolt holes to the point that I don't think the o-rings will seal, then got another and promptly dropped it on the garage floor after I unpacked it.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

As long as it's not going to occlude the opening in the pump that picks up fluid and won't interfere with mounting or sealing I don't see why that would be an issue.