Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Sphyre posted:

i too would like more gpu goon rig pics

'poast your rigs'

If I come into some extra cash I think I'm going to rebuild this in an NZXT H200 and get a motherboard with built-in Wifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Here's my rig:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

single monitor gaming, 4k

Hello fellow 4k gamer,

For worry-free 4k gaming, you really need a 3080 unless you're willing to turn down settings for 60 FPS on graphics-heavy AAA titles. An equivalent is the RX 6800XT. They don't seem to exist in real life anymore. A 3070 will work in a pinch but you need to pick and choose which settings you're willing to let go. I had a 3070 initially and went right back into the microcenter line to snag a 3080 after 5 days of camping out.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Look out, here comes Mr RGB

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh god you bought that god awful 12 fan case?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s more fan than case now, twisted... and evil

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Twerkdad posted:

Does that just create a vacuum in the room when everything fires up under load?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Twerkdad posted:

I too enjoy hearing damage from being close to a desktop computer. Does the description of the case read "the datacenter experience"?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I too enjoy hearing damage from being close to a desktop computer. Does the description of the case read "the datacenter experience"?

It's not the datacenter experience until you spend several hours in a 0% humidity room

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Biowarfare posted:

It's not the datacenter experience until you spend several hours in a 0% humidity room

What does that even feel like?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

GruntyThrst posted:

What does that even feel like?

Thirsty. I would imagine they feel thirsty.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Twerkdad posted:

I feel like my eyes just went through the ride queue for Space Mountain

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lian li: hmm yes this but unironically :hmmyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

my noctua's black sorry

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Whats up with so many builds being posted that only have 2 sticks of ram? You guys can waste money on dumb poo poo like a 3080/3090 and water cooling with custom cables but can't get another 2 sticks of RGB ram?

edit: ^^^^^ lol

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Isn’t 2 sticks faster than 4? And it’s not like most people need more than 16 or 32 GB

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why would I need 4? I've already got 32gb. The cooler blocks the first slot anyway

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GruntyThrst posted:

Isn’t 2 sticks faster than 4?

thats why you run 2 sticks of RAM and 2 sticks of fake RAM

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

2x 32gb is faster than 4x 16gb, from what I understand. Linus has some videos on it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Tokit posted:

Whats up with so many builds being posted that only have 2 sticks of ram? You guys can waste money on dumb poo poo like a 3080/3090 and water cooling with custom cables but can't get another 2 sticks of RGB ram?

edit: ^^^^^ lol

Buddy, these are gaming rigs. By definition, we're already wasting money on dumb poo poo.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
I heard ryzen CPUs love having all 4 slots populated and you get a very small performance boost out of it, even if you're on intel why not have more ram?

Either way though my point is why not just actually spend that money on getting another 1% of performance then buy the fancy coloured cables after? idk maybe i'm old and out of touch because i don't entirely get all the aesthetic stuff in computers now, i'll be over here with my brown noctua fans yelling at the clouds

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most desktop CPU memory controllers won’t be able to clock as high with all 4 DIMM slots populated. This is dually true if using 4 dual rank/dual sided DIMMs for dual the duality.

This is for Zen 1/+, but illustrates the point.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 22, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

really not happy with all the slot shaming going on

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

my mobo only has two slots :smith:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Another crazy RGB man

I would like to improve my 1070, but, you know...

All this poo poo syncs with my mouse and keyboard, because I love the Razer thing where games are able to seize the RGB controls of your components and make lighting effects occur in sync with events in-game. This was supposed to eventually build out into buying a Phillips Hue system with entertainment colored lights so that Apex Legends controls my whole bedroom, because I love high-end arcade games like Star Wars Battle Pod or whatever where the whole immediate space around you flashes colors and blows wind in your face as you play the game. I think parts searching fatigue combined with the Wraith Prism not really being able to keep CPU temperatures under control when encoding HEVC has sort of left me feeling "okay enough" so we'll probably never reach that stage.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 22, 2021

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Tokit posted:

I heard ryzen CPUs love having all 4 slots populated and you get a very small performance boost out of it, even if you're on intel why not have more ram?

Either way though my point is why not just actually spend that money on getting another 1% of performance then buy the fancy coloured cables after? idk maybe i'm old and out of touch because i don't entirely get all the aesthetic stuff in computers now, i'll be over here with my brown noctua fans yelling at the clouds

I wanted 32GB to start out, and the price was $199.98 for 4x8 or $199.99 for 2x16. I can upgrade later without buying 4 new DIMMs.

(i mean, i won't, but it sounds good in theory) :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fallom posted:

really not happy with all the slot shaming going on

I'm more concerned with these people posting their wide open slots in public.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

njsykora posted:

I'm more concerned with these people posting their wide open slots in public.

We really don't need to be shaming hex workers in this thread, thanks.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Funkysock posted:

I love this. I'd worry about the gpu choking, but the cpu cooler prevents you from putting the side on the case, right?
The CPU cooler is indeed too large to put the side panel back on. I want to get a second side panel and find an auto shop (or something) to cut it to fit, going for kind of ratrod vibe.

Why are you worried about the GPU choking? It pulls in cool air from the bottom of the case and dumps hot air directly outside of the case... :confused:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its like a muscle car i think it's rad
:hellyeah: it's supposed to be fun and stupid

Twerkdad posted:

this is pretty dope and hurts my eyes in a good way!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

repiv posted:

This is amazing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GruntyThrst posted:

This is amazing.

I am doing that in mine but I was too ashamed to talk about it

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

RAM is weirdly expensive right now (the 16gb of 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM I used is now retailing for $106, compared to the $60 I bought it for, only $10 cheaper than the LED Vengeance anyways), so it makes sense I guess?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

repiv posted:

MOAR RGB

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nothus posted:

MOAR RGB

Thats what this product is for! https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Dominator-Airflow-Platinum-RGB-Fan/p/CMDAF2

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nothus posted:

MOAR RGB

OK!

Business in the front.

:frogsiren: Party in the back. :frogsiren:

:negative:

Tokit posted:

Im 100% with you. My ram is 3600 C18 running at C16 and under all that blue light those fans are actually brown and tan.

Cygni posted:

Most desktop CPU memory controllers won’t be able to clock as high with all 4 DIMM slots populated.

Thats what voltage is for :v:

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Glad I could be the unifying force and the catalyst for thread peace.

Case was rad to build in and the Unifans are silent under 1600RPM so I hear nothing. The lighting isn't that harsh in person, just looks super bright because cellphone camera

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nothus posted:

MOAR RGB

gently caress it, RGB power cables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKAXxXxXLW8

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Those clip over the cables. I'm going to need the cables themselves to glow.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

With enough current you can upgrade your existing cables to R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I spent all my money on this loving graphics card, so the case is something I had laying around.