Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

this game looks so dour im inexplicably worried they actually did get rid of skits, lol

Berseria looked dour early on. They're just leading with the most plot-central content out of the most plot-central characters. Just look at how anyone reacts to Eizen before and after playing the game. PR's job is laying out the hooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Chaotic Flame posted:

Post-victory scenes are one of my favorite things about Tales and I'm glad we're getting more of them it seems.

Also Graces is #1 for me on this front too. Which game has the best in aggregate?

The post-victory stuff in Xillia 2 rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh also, there is a mascot. the mage girl has a little owl buddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sharkitten posted:

Arise is looking cool. I'm just glad to be playing another tales game soon

:same:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm ok with this owl

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is longer and longer anime cutscenes something that people actually want from Tales or are they just imagining that and running with it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the anime cutscenes, tales does not have the budget to do a lot in engine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So it looks like the mage girl does not have fire magic, considering Alphen has to supply that part of the four-elemental blast combo attack? Does have water, wind, and lightning, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is longer and longer anime cutscenes something that people actually want from Tales or are they just imagining that and running with it?
i dont mind the anime cutscenes but they also arent exactly a back of the box selling point.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Here's the English version of the release date trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ul6DMPIfTA

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaotic Flame posted:

Post-victory scenes are one of my favorite things about Tales and I'm glad we're getting more of them it seems.

Also Graces is #1 for me on this front too. Which game has the best in aggregate?

Oh, I misread. Now that I've watched that gameplay vid, I'm a bit disappointed to see them relegated to after-battle chats essentially. There were some good visual gags in past victory scene. :smith:

I like the team moves though and it looks like you'll be able to do them fairly frequently.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I enjoy Rifle Lady and cute owl. I do not like the lack of possible lack of multiplayer but the series was headed in this direction for years so eh.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is that Jamieson Price again? Dude does a lot of Tales work if so

Game looks good, dub sounds good. fFour and a half months? I'm down.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I really like what I'm seeing of Arise. Combat looks like a bunch of the good parts of Berseria, Destiny, Rebirth, and some other nice stuff that's long overdue, and I like the two new character designs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I enjoy Rifle Lady and cute owl. I do not like the lack of possible lack of multiplayer but the series was headed in this direction for years so eh.

berseria was listed as single player only too so we're back to 'who knows.' the assist attack mechanics seem like theyd prohibit but well, zestiria also was terible for multiplayer and still allowed it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally watched the trailer and...that’s just really not the kind of RPG visuals and story I want right now. It hasn’t been for years. Berseria and Xillia were already too far in that direction.

I imagine it will still be one of the only games I’ll be interested in playing in September though. For a bunch of very real reasons, it’s been slim pickings lately.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 22, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Berseria didn't have a big booby lady! At least not in the main cast. Although i guess velvet's outfit is suppose to make up for it in that regard :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

berseria was listed as single player only too so we're back to 'who knows.' the assist attack mechanics seem like theyd prohibit but well, zestiria also was terible for multiplayer and still allowed it

Berseria was p rough for multiplayer too, mechanically at least. Only one player could really use the "party member" swap mechanic. Though, in Berseria it wasn't a big deal cause the only party member you needed to swap in regularly was Magilou, and one player could handle that.

As long as the camera isn't the insane jank that was Zestiria it'll probably still be fun honestly

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Magilou is a top five Tales character for me though. She can just do her one woman manzai act all day and that’s fine with me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Magilou is a top five Tales character for me though. She can just do her one woman manzai act all day and that’s fine with me.

:hai: same here, Magilou rules

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

She is just so much fun and provides an excellent contrast to Velvet.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
That combat looks like exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do. I really like having lots of very specific attacks. One basic mash combo and three grounded arte binds is not that.

wateyad fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 22, 2021

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I miss the Wonder Chef. Also kinda miss the Katz, don't really like those Turtlez that were in the past few games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also I got Tales of Hearts R the other day, one of only two mainline (?) games I haven’t finished but...well, when you get hooked on another game in the series that you already have like 90 hours in instead, that’s not much of an endorsement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, 6 member party confirmed i feel like. if you look at the dlc costume list, all the packs come with 6 costumes, but they're only showing 4. the top one comes with 8 but theyre also only showing 6 so.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
They should go the Star Ocean 5 route and just have the entire party in combat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should not do anything that star ocean 5 did

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So from what I can tell it seems like Patrick Seitz voiced dude is the leader of like the anti-Renan rebellion or something to that effect?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mage girl has cute hats in costumes, excellent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in unrelated news, our good friend hideo baba might have just killed the sakura wars franchise

the mobage they were running is being shut down in june because it was a massive flop, and apparently baba was the guy running the show

quote:

Employee A then further wrote several interesting tidbits (complaints) of what baba did as an executive producer.

The decision to use vtubers as voice actors was made by Baba without consulting the development team.

At the time that the the game achieved 300k pre-registrations, they haven't started working at all on the vtuber's 3d models which is why they still aren't playable (the time that Nikkaido got the e-mail which was dec 21st). I feel sorry for the vtuber fans.

Baba set the games' sales target to be the same as FGO's which taxed both the player and dev team.

now this all sounds like hearsay but, that sure does sound like baba

jokes aside the mobage had a lot of bad choices that baba wouldnt have been involved with, like them setting it in modern day instead of the early-mid 20th century setting the series usually has, and the lack of old sakura wars characters in favor of OCs, but, its still very funny

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 22, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There’s no way the sales target was to match FGO, right? Like, that’d be ridiculous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There’s no way the sales target was to match FGO, right? Like, that’d be ridiculous.
keep in mind that baba's sales goal for zestiria was to beat skyrim.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

keep in mind that baba's sales goal for zestiria was to beat skyrim.

Oh. Oh no.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Poor Sakura Wars.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hellioning posted:

Poor Sakura Wars.
It’s too good and pure for this world.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wateyad posted:

That combat looks like exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do. I really like having lots of very specific attacks. One basic mash combo and three grounded arte binds is not that.
i welcome it, this is the exact amount of options my brain can keep in its immediate memory without imploding

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eddain posted:

They should go the Star Ocean 5 route and just have the entire party in combat.

Hell yes. It was a glorious mess of skill spamming and chaos.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Send Hideo Baba over to Blizzard or Bioware so they can be put out of their misery.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

He would need to join the Republican party first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wateyad posted:

i'm hoping it's just because it's the early game, or that there'll be an arte ball equivalent or something.

i welcome the gently caress out of air combat though