Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

alnilam posted:

Every nurse doctor and lab/patient tech in the world has dealt with needle-phobic patients. Probably half of people have some level of needle anxiety.

So imagine my surprise when I met a phlebotomist who started ribbing me for it. I rolled up my sleeve, took a breath, and looked the other way. Then she starts in with, "You men act all tough until someone pulls out a needle." Lady, I'm trying to make your job easier here so we can both go do something else.

To her credit, she did the actual drawing blood part just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

McCracAttack posted:

So imagine my surprise when I met a phlebotomist who started ribbing me for it. I rolled up my sleeve, took a breath, and looked the other way. Then she starts in with, "You men act all tough until someone pulls out a needle." Lady, I'm trying to make your job easier here so we can both go do something else.

To her credit, she did the actual drawing blood part just fine.

*sobbing*

It reminds me of my tiny needle dick OK!!?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What a gigantic arsehole!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I went looking for hair dye today to re-purple myself and all I could find was this L'Oréal Préférence one (which I haven't used before), so I grabbed it and only noticed when I got home that it says not advised for light-coloured hair. But it doesn't seem to say why. Anyone know what the issue would be?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I moved to a new part of the country recently (PNW) and I've noticed something weird - people commonly park on the street blocking their own driveways. It's bizarre. Like the housing density here is such that on-street parking is common but space is plentiful, I'd estimate 1/4 to 1/3 occupied,* also nearly every house has a driveway. And almost every day on my ride to my kid's daycare I see someone parked on the street in front of their own driveway. I know it's their own driveway in many cases because I've seen the same car parked near the same house many times before. In the case of a couple very close by neighbors I know for a fact it is their own car doing it. They do this despite the fact that there are tons of open places to park just past their driveway, and despite the fact that their driveway is empty so they also could have just pulled into it.

I find it so odd because where I come from you would get towed that way - the city has no way of knowing that it's your car blocking your own driveway and they will tow anyone blocking any right-of-way, as they should. But I also moved here from a place where driveways/garages are very rare, so maybe there's some reason this is a thing in places with a lot of driveways? Or is it a western US thing (which also goes along with medium-density single-family-detached housing with driveways being the norm)?

It doesn't affect me really, I just find it bizarre and my curiosity is killing me. I just can not figure out why these people don't pull up another 10 feet into a legal spot, or pull into their own empty driveway. Has anyone else seen, or even done, this? Why?

*my 1/4-1/3 guesstimate includes the fact that fewer spaces are available due to driveways. So I'm saying, only 1/4 to 1/3 of the viable spots (no driveway, no hydrant) are taken.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

alnilam posted:

I moved to a new part of the country recently (PNW) and I've noticed something weird - people commonly park on the street blocking their own driveways. It's bizarre.
They're probably doing it because they don't want people to pull into their driveway to turn around.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe they’re preempting someone else from parking their and blocking their car in the driveway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Doesn’t explain why you just wouldn’t park in the driveway instead?

Might be helpful to ask in the regional PNW LAN thread.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FCKGW posted:

Doesn’t explain why you just wouldn’t park in the driveway instead?

If parking space is at a premium I bet other people might park in front of the driveway, blocking the owner in

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

If parking space is at a premium I bet other people might park in front of the driveway, blocking the owner in
Possibly, but if only 1/3 of the spots are occupied that doesn't seem like much of a risk.

alnilam - is this in all areas of town, or only near a school/daycare, on dead-end streets, etc?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Maybe they're preempting someone else from parking their and blocking their car in the driveway.

Not only is it not much of a risk as Trapick pointed out, but also, if that were the reason, why wouldn't they (the resident) just do regular on-street parking among the plentiful non-driveway-blocking spots then? Why specifically block your own driveway?

Trapick posted:

Possibly, but if only 1/3 of the spots are occupied that doesn't seem like much of a risk.

alnilam - is this in all areas of town, or only near a school/daycare, on dead-end streets, etc?

Yeah there is no shortage of spots, at any time of day.
It's not near a school or daycare. It's not on dead-end streets, nor is it more common near schools or daycares as far as I can tell.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You don't always see the street when it's at its max occupancy rate. A car might be parked in front of the driveway because that was the only spot available at the time the car arrived.

A secondary thing is that some houses use a lot more cars than others, so they may park across their driveways instead of using street parking as a courtesy to other residents. Plus it is more convenient since you're as close as you can be to your own house without actually being in the driveway.

(I have no explanation for why you'd park across your driveway rather than in it though)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

This is really bothering me.

Here in Texas it is illegal to block a sidewalk even if it runs through your driveway. Maybe it's the same there and those people can't pull far enough into their driveway to avoid blocking the sidewalk?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You don't always see the street when it's at its max occupancy rate.

While this is generally a good assumption to make, I will say that during work-from-home times and having a flexible schedule, I feel I have gotten a pretty good feel for occupancy throughout the day.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Here in Texas it is illegal to block a sidewalk even if it runs through your driveway. Maybe it's the same there and those people can't pull far enough into their driveway to avoid blocking the sidewalk?

Nope definitely enough room for a car in these driveways without blocking the sidewalk. Two of the houses i've seen do it a lot, I've also seen their car parked in their driveway on occasion.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

alnilam posted:

While this is generally a good assumption to make, I will say that during work-from-home times and having a flexible schedule, I feel I have gotten a pretty good feel for occupancy throughout the day.

Nope definitely enough room for a car in these driveways without blocking the sidewalk. Two of the houses i've seen do it a lot, I've also seen their car parked in their driveway on occasion.

Ask your neighbours why they do it and report back. I'm invested now.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I need a vacation but with the pandemic and all I can't do a normal one. I want to go into a big cave. But not a tour because I want to kind of explore and I want it to be a little dangerous. But nothing complicated because I don't want to do actual caving. But kind of complicated because I would want to get a few hours of entertainment out of it. And also inside the US because I'm not flying until this thing is over.

Does this exist?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
There's not a lot of caves that you can spend a couple hours in without doing Actual Caving, no. There's plenty of smaller public access "enter at your own risk" caves in the US I'm sure, but what it sounds like is you want to find a hiking trail featuring caves that's rated at "moderately difficult" or something like that.

e: some of the largest caves in the world are in Kansas by the way, but I don't know how many of them you can go in without a tour.

Also please don't go loving around in caves that you're not supposed to be in, cave environments are extremely fragile and even the oil from your fingers can ruin the formation and natural processes of the caves pretty easily. Find ones that are already public access and foregone as far as the interior environment is concerned. You can also look up small abandoned mines, some of them leave behind a good amount of bornite or other cool looking ore because it wouldn't be economic to extract it and they can be fun to explore, but there's usually a hike involved to get there. As a bonus you don't have to worry about ruining anything in an artificial hole in the side of a mountain either.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 22, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've got a massive shared folder in google drives that I want to download to my desktop. Thing is, none of the google-able methods seem to work, as they require me to copy the folder to my drive and I don't have the space, and there's gimmicky command line stuff I don't get. Help?

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I need a vacation but with the pandemic and all I can't do a normal one. I want to go into a big cave. But not a tour because I want to kind of explore and I want it to be a little dangerous. But nothing complicated because I don't want to do actual caving. But kind of complicated because I would want to get a few hours of entertainment out of it. And also inside the US because I'm not flying until this thing is over.

Does this exist?

Lava Beds National Monument, in the rear end-end of nowhere, California: https://www.nps.gov/labe/planyourvisit/caving.htm

Last time I went they hand you a flashlight, a hard hat, and a map and off you go. This was about six years ago or so but I don't think much has changed. Since they're lava tubes you can't really get lost so they don't worry about losing the tourists. And each tube varies in size, debris, and amount of plant life, depending on its state of collapse. You don't get stalactites or crystals or stuff like that, but they're still caves. Also not sure what you mean by 'big' but you can definitely spend a while in some of the more wriggly ones.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've got a massive shared folder in google drives that I want to download to my desktop. Thing is, none of the google-able methods seem to work, as they require me to copy the folder to my drive and I don't have the space, and there's gimmicky command line stuff I don't get. Help?

What do you mean you want to download it, if you don't have space for it. You'll need a bigger hard drive.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Lava Beds National Monument, in the rear end-end of nowhere, California: https://www.nps.gov/labe/planyourvisit/caving.htm

Last time I went they hand you a flashlight, a hard hat, and a map and off you go. This was about six years ago or so but I don't think much has changed. Since they're lava tubes you can't really get lost so they don't worry about losing the tourists. And each tube varies in size, debris, and amount of plant life, depending on its state of collapse. You don't get stalactites or crystals or stuff like that, but they're still caves. Also not sure what you mean by 'big' but you can definitely spend a while in some of the more wriggly ones.

That looks absolutely perfect, thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Methanar posted:

What do you mean you want to download it, if you don't have space for it. You'll need a bigger hard drive.

I don't have space for it in google drive. My computer harddrive has like 100 gigs free

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't have space for it in google drive. My computer harddrive has like 100 gigs free

So this is someone else’s folder?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

So this is someone else’s folder?

Yes, it's been shared with me. I can download it, but it's too big for google to put into one mega-zip file.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, it's been shared with me. I can download it, but it's too big for google to put into one mega-zip file.

For something like this is it possible for the person sharing to make it into a torrent for you?

Otherwise you could always download it in 10 10gb chunks or something.

You could always pay the 3bux to get enough drive space and sync the folder to your computer, then cancel the subscription.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

For something like this is it possible for the person sharing to make it into a torrent for you?

Otherwise you could always download it in 10 10gb chunks or something.

You could always pay the 3bux to get enough drive space and sync the folder to your computer, then cancel the subscription.

- Nope

- How do I do this?

- :sigh: I hope that's not the answer

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

That looks absolutely perfect, thanks!

Went here a few years ago on the way back from Crater Lake and it was lots of fun. Pretty empty as far as national monuments go (because it's in the middle of nowhere) so it's pretty good for pandemic activity.
Caves range from paved and wheelchair accessible to "please don't go in unless you can squeeze your bones". Lots of stuff to explore.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

- How do I do this?

I think you can select multiple files/folders in the Drive UI, then right-click download and it'll zip them up for you. Or if there's not too many individual files you could just download them piecemeal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

- How do I do this?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My husband and I were sitting on the couch on our phones, and I got a really weird text message that said it was from him. It had to do with someone getting their smile redone and how amazing they look now. It showed up just like a regular text from him would, along with the texts he had actually sent earlier. We were looking at it together, trying to figure out wtf, when I got a second text that was definitely not from him, but showed up in our chain of texts. It absolutely didn’t come from him since he had put his phone down by then.

What’s going on?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Koivunen posted:

My husband and I were sitting on the couch on our phones, and I got a really weird text message that said it was from him. It had to do with someone getting their smile redone and how amazing they look now. It showed up just like a regular text from him would, along with the texts he had actually sent earlier. We were looking at it together, trying to figure out wtf, when I got a second text that was definitely not from him, but showed up in our chain of texts. It absolutely didn’t come from him since he had put his phone down by then.

What’s going on?

text messages can be spoofed.

Your phone organizes text messages its received by date and the number the message claims to be from. The fake message just got sorted with the legitimate ones because origin number is the only way it knows what message is from where.

The sender got your number probably from the recent facebook hack associating your number to your husband's.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Methanar posted:

text messages can be spoofed.

Your phone organizes text messages its received by date and the number the message claims to be from. The fake message just got sorted with the legitimate ones because origin number is the only way it knows what message is from where.

The sender got your number probably from the recent facebook hack associating your number to your husband's.

Weird. How can I make this not happen? Do I need to be worried about anything, personal information wise?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Koivunen posted:

Weird. How can I make this not happen? Do I need to be worried about anything, personal information wise?

Basically you can't. Telcos won't fix their system because they still make money off these fraudulent messages and the government won't make them do anything about it because they care more about the money from telcos than they do about you.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Koivunen posted:

you can't and no. it's just the new normal

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thanks for the fast replies. The second text was a little eerie because I had recently texted my husband about how I think I’m getting a cold, and the text said “you look good for someone who is feeling crummy.”

The spoof texts are random, right...?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Tiggum posted:

I went looking for hair dye today to re-purple myself and all I could find was this L'Oréal Préférence one (which I haven't used before), so I grabbed it and only noticed when I got home that it says not advised for light-coloured hair. But it doesn't seem to say why. Anyone know what the issue would be?

So funny thing about hair dye, there's this stuff called "toner" that they use to take out the brassy/yellow tones either after the bleaching process or just in general, it basically looks like conditioner that is varying degrees of mid to light purple. What this does is basically desaturate the color and give you a more blank slate for dyeing. You leave it on for a time similar to actual hair dye, then rinse, then reapply every other wash as the brass/yellow comes back because it's not permanent

If the purple in the dye you bought isn't super saturated, it's entirely possible that on super light hair it wouldn't actually dye it purple so much as tone it, i.e. the end result under the boxed instructions would turn it grey or silver. You might still get a decent purple by leaving it on for way longer than instructed but you might be better off getting a different brand (i.e. arctic fox, splat, manic panic). If your hair isn't super short you could always do a strand test, but if you're impatient like me you can just do your whole head and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you're getting silver hair, which will just serve as an even better base for a deeper purple

I've been dyeing my own hair at home (to mixed success) for the past decade or so and I'm hardly a professional but hopefully that answer was helpful

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If O- is the universal donor, why is it so important for AB+ to donate more? I came across something that said because AB is so rare they encourage people with that blood type to donate as much as they can, but I'm not exactly clear on why it's needed given my VERY basic understanding of these things.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Haha "This shade is not advised"! Censored, for our own safety...

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Carillon posted:

If O- is the universal donor, why is it so important for AB+ to donate more? I came across something that said because AB is so rare they encourage people with that blood type to donate as much as they can, but I'm not exactly clear on why it's needed given my VERY basic understanding of these things.
Blood has two big components - red blood cells and plasma (and other stuff, but that's most of it). The types A and B refer to particular antigens (proteins) that could be attacked by antibodies. If you're type A, your red blood cells have type A antigens on them, and if any B antigens show up your antibodies would freak out (because they think they're like, an allergen or pathogen or whatever). Vice versa for B. O doesn't have any antigens on the red blood cells, and has antibodies against both A and B. AB has both types of antigens but no antibodies.

So, O is the universal red blood cell donor - stick some in anybody and their body will just be like "ok cool, come on in", because there are no antigens. Type AB is the universal plasma donor, because it doesn't have any antibodies, so if you get AB plasma, it won't suddenly freak out and try to fuckup your red blood cells because of what antigens they have.

Edit: I think AB is also good for platelet transfusion, for similar reasons.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Manager Hoyden posted:

I need a vacation but with the pandemic and all I can't do a normal one. I want to go into a big cave.
Hmmm, this pandemic is a drag. Oh well, better go gently caress around with some bats.