Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

thinking about my favorite game robot and i've decided that it's definitely Legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

sharrrk posted:

wait what, they added an upskirt achievement just for the english version? what the hell? ive never heard of achievements being changed for different releases

No they're saying that's how the localizers seem to be translating that particular achievement. So I assume the upskirt achievement is still in the Japanese version, but it's not worded in such an awful way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I can't figure out what to play. Nothing is catching my eye. How are the Rise/Shadow of Tomb Raider games? Are they like Uncharted?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

it's following aigis's design, who was designed by soejima like every other P3 and onwards persona character afaik

wanna see one of these anime girl robots, but with the legs of the robots from that boston roboniks place

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I started playing Days Gone since it was a PS Plus freebie and I'm kind of waiting for the MonHun Rise patch to unlock ranks past 7 before I get grind crazy with it. Days Gone is, so far, a very junk food-y game. I haven't played an open world game since Ghost of Tsushima so I think my mind is ripe for the kind of constant checklist that this game offers up. Every mission marker seems to advance multiple objectives toward 100%, there are rewards like new recipes and skins along the completion path for many of the storylines, and the economy is a pretty simple "kill things to get bounties, turn in bounties to get money + rep with whatever settlement you turn them in to" which minimizes some of the scrounging for change feeling that some open world games get.

It's not a top shelf title by any stretch. The story is pretty laughable and while I don't find myself wanting for cash I do feel inundated with crafting materials. The text is small, some UI elements are unclear (I've done missions where when I finish the objectives I get a big window that says something like 51% complete, with a reward of exp and some unexplained number/larger number thing that I haven't been able to parse yet), and and pretty basic loop of go to marker/do task. But for a kind of popcorn game where I can just sit down and have my biker guy motor across Oregon to complete this or that objective, I kind of dig it so far. I'll probably lose interest by the end but for the investment I think it's worth my attention, and I did everything there was to do in GoT so maybe I'll just crack this nut too.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Xenoblade 2 had a weird thing like this where there was a really weird and gross conversation where Toro had programmed his robot to act like a dog and everyone was weirded out but then you look at the Japanese version, and we didn't know what it said but it was clearly completely different because it didn't say the word "dog" or have any barking noises at all

I remember people defending Treehouse as being Just As Good as 8-4 and have a sensible chuckle.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

I remember people defending Treehouse as being Just As Good as 8-4 and have a sensible chuckle.

I got into a lot of arguments about this in the XBC thread but all of the liberties taken with the script, like that scene where they completely changed an entire conversation and didn't even make it about the same thing as the original, makes me wonder just how much was changed that we don't know about

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Anyone who is a Fire Emblem fan knows Treehouse sucks. They localized Fates after all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i want Destiny 2 but spaceships and/or fleets

does that exist

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

I said come in! posted:

I have yes, also got to the Hamlet sacrifice scene and holy poo poo is it unintentionally hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7RHp65-OBo

:piaa:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Walla posted:

Anyone who is a Fire Emblem fan knows Treehouse sucks. They localized Fates after all.

There are people who defend it as "The original was even worse', somehow. I don't get it myself but :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ul6DMPIfTA after two years of delays, Tales of Arise finally has a release date, September 10, 2021.*

*it will probably be delayed again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tales of Vesperia is on sale and I vaguely remember having a good time with it in the Xbox 360 era. Get it?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

haveblue posted:

Tales of Vesperia is on sale and I vaguely remember having a good time with it in the Xbox 360 era. Get it?

It has all the extra content from the PS3 version, including Flynn as a party member and an entirely new character, so yes.

Just keep in mind that they couldn't get every VA back for it, so some people (most noticeably Yuri) will flip between voices whenever a newly voiced thing hits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vague nostalgia is the best way to experience vesperia.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

vesperia is pretty good but imo you can't go wrong with most tales games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vesperia is really good. I just finished that game this year and had a pretty good time with it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

keep it in your memories, it hasn't aged that well

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Vesperia is really good. I just finished that game this year and had a pretty good time with it.
Yeah me too. I’m playing Graces F right now and I like the gameplay in it much better though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't imagine enjoying a Tales game in 2021, but the last one I played was Symphonia. the combat is pretty dissatisfying in that, lots of the characters running back and forth in one direction and saying the voice like for their move repeatedly

there should be an honest version of that Arise trailer where instead of just saying "Thunderbolt!" the chick goes "ThunderboltThunderbolt ThunThundThThunderbolt!" while two other guys do the same with their move

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Acerbatus posted:

There are people who defend it as "The original was even worse', somehow. I don't get it myself but :shrug:

I mean, it was mostly unsalvageable at a high level, but a good localization could have made the moment-to-moment dialogue engaging enough to maybe paper over that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

dioxazine posted:

Could I see what your product looks like in purple?

No but I can show you this funny enemy description from the same game/expansion

Waltzing Along posted:

I can't figure out what to play. Nothing is catching my eye.

Tales of Maj'Eyal
Saga Frontier Remastered
Open Sorcery

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I can't imagine enjoying a Tales game in 2021, but the last one I played was Symphonia. the combat is pretty dissatisfying in that, lots of the characters running back and forth in one direction and saying the voice like for their move repeatedly

there should be an honest version of that Arise trailer where instead of just saying "Thunderbolt!" the chick goes "ThunderboltThunderbolt ThunThundThThunderbolt!" while two other guys do the same with their move
tales of symphonia is 20 years old, at least play berseria or something

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Everyone knows that you're supposed to yell, "Indignation!" the entire time while playing a Tales game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I loved everything about Berseria besides the dungeons. Favorite story of the lot except the parts that tied to Zestiria my least favorite Tales game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

drat, I must be a genius. Double Post.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dioxazine posted:

Everyone knows that you're supposed to yell, "Indignation!" the entire time while playing a Tales game.

You gotta do the whole chant from the GBA Phantasia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmCKT3XSAU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dhaos did almost nothing wrong

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, it was mostly unsalvageable at a high level, but a good localization could have made the moment-to-moment dialogue engaging enough to maybe paper over that

Yeah, Fates’ localization is uniquely bad in that it’s competent on a surface level until you realize everyone except one or two super extra characters like Not-All Might and Owain talk the same “way”, like one character has an even thicker rural accent than the last game’s hick character in Japanese but talks normal, there are numerous references to specific ways people talk in supports that sound like nonsense, etc.

Tbf localizing the entirety of Fates is a fairly unenviable task though, even Intelligent Systems had to outsource the support writing and Revelations’ scrips to another company iirc.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Ah gently caress I'm installing Fallout: New Vegas again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Propaganda Hour posted:

Ah gently caress I'm installing Fallout: New Vegas again

Ain't that a kick in the head

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Cursed question: is the PS3 version of FNV any good? I kind of want to play it again but my PC is waaaay over there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't. I have hundreds of hours on ps3 NV and I would not recommend it at all

The performance is poo poo. Your racing against time to beat the game before your saves get corrupted and stop loading, scripts will just break. It's really bad

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Modding NV is half the fun https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are there any notable examples of the bad Fates translation stuff? I love poo poo like that. One of my favorite bits of translation fuckery is in the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure series where the manga for part 4 was translated by someone who couldn't write well in English but could still understand what was being said so you ended up with an infamously bad translation from a grammar, spelling, and presentation standpoint but the overall mood and message still managed to be conveyed really well. This is in contrast with the initial fan translation for the part 5 arc where the person who did the translation could write in English competently enough but couldn't understand the original language so the end result was numerous scenes where nothing makes any sense, they translated the explanation of the villain's ability the wrong way multiple times leading to an entire meme about how nobody actually knows how it works, many of the personalities became lost in translation, and you ended up with completely off-the-wall poo poo such as:

- a prisoner saying he misses being able to visit the Sistine Chapel to view the art of Michelangelo but at least he has some Van Goghs in his cell being translated as a prisoner saying he misses a certain painter's paintings of city walls but at least he owns a painting of a Buddhist valley
- a map of Italy showing the location of Venice being translated as a map of Italy showing the location of Vienna
- an Italian man throwing a shitfit over the fact that when people talk about Paris in the context of the French language, they pronounce it the French way, but that Venice is never referred to as Venezia in similar contexts being translated as an Italian man throwing a shitfit that nobody understands how beautiful the language of France is and that he is enraged that people don't all speak French

I'd like to know some of the bad Fates stuff if any of it is as funny as the above stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's not an inaccurate translation, just a boring one. Like all the characters talk the same and don't really have a voice

the incoherent nonsense is all a completely accurate translation of the incoherent nonsense in the Japanese

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This morning I had a dream that I was playing Link to the Past and there was a secret boss I'd never discovered where you went into a lake cave and there was a giant fish and Link turned into a submarine and he attacked with his sonar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

This morning I had a dream that I was playing Link to the Past and there was a secret boss I'd never discovered where you went into a lake cave and there was a giant fish and Link turned into a submarine and he attacked with his sonar

That's Banjo Tooie