Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eimi posted:

They could go a more cosmic horror route, where it's something from beyond and it's unintentional and uncaring for what it does. I don't think that would be the greatest follow up after Zenos is basically being written as a force of nature, but it's an option.

I mean, that's a close second behind 'nothing' to me. If we need to have an alien force as our next villain, let's make it Lovecraftian. It's new territory for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Eimi posted:

They could go a more cosmic horror route, where it's something from beyond and it's unintentional and uncaring for what it does. I don't think that would be the greatest follow up after Zenos is basically being written as a force of nature, but it's an option.

I still feel a bit like they blew their wad on Ultima a little early, but they could always surprise us, my own ravings about the sudden increase in Lucavi aside.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The sound was just Godbert Manderville flexing really hard and enjoying a nice shoulder massage from Azem.

Apparently the rest of Amaurot couldn't handle it and it's up to the WoL to teach the rest of the Ascians that it's just fine to perform a deep tissue massage on a goldsmith that would otherwise murder you/have their wife murder you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eimi posted:

I will completely forgive all this pretty boy sword-husband posing with Zenos if he just erupts into tentacles as the JENOVA-SOKEN mix begins playing.

Cleretic posted:

I mean, that's a close second behind 'nothing' to me. If we need to have an alien force as our next villain, let's make it Lovecraftian. It's new territory for the game.
We've had one friendly alien race and one persuadable. We're due

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

Zenos is not a force of nature, he is just a dick!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Zenos is kind of a weird reflection of, not the played character, but the player. And I'm curious how he's going to go out, I'm really looking forward to how things finish up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gearhead posted:

Zenos is kind of a weird reflection of, not the played character, but the player. And I'm curious how he's going to go out, I'm really looking forward to how things finish up.

I'm always annoyed by this comparison, because I'm not a Zenos. I'm not here for blind fight idiocy, and I don't know many people who are. I'm here for seeing the story and the weirdest lore it can offer up.

If anything I'm a Fandaniel. I'm here to see the wildest possible fireworks. And to piss off the Zenoses, apparently.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

“[X] is actually a critique of [players/viewers]” has never been a take I find very interesting, in part because it seems less about analyzing a narrative and more about having an axe to grind with a particular subset of fan thats Liking Things Wrong

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

“[X] is actually a critique of [players/viewers]” has never been a take I find very interesting, in part because it seems less about analyzing a narrative and more about having an axe to grind with a particular subset of fan thats Liking Things Wrong
Yeah like, it's got a certain loose resonance because the player seems to seek out difficult fights (if not necessarily for the thrill, but we're surely not inventing standoff artillery to blast primals from beyond temperin' range) and so too does Zenos! But beyond that it seems to break down. Perhaps Zenos will inform us he has never watched a single cutscene.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A large part of being able to accept Zenos's friendship is acknowledging that you're both here for the big fights, it's not the full extent of his character but I think him being in some ways a dark reflection of the PC was deliberate

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 22, 2021

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
IIRC there are points where they frame it so he's looking directly into the camera while talking about it too, I think I would be waaaaaaaaay more surprised if they tried to argue he wasn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
If they're gonna go for that, then Zenos needs to die because he interrupted someone before they mention information crucial to his victory, and so he gets blindsided by techniques and characters that he says he was never told about.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Valens already did that though.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
My ideal end for Zenos is he's set everything up for the grand, world-shattering duel with his enemy, his friend that he was willing to burn civilisation down to the bedrock for, and the WoL basically goes "I'm trying to cancel the apocalypse, I do not have time for your bullshit" , stomps him flat in like two seconds and leaves him bleeding out and clawing at the ground begging the WoL to come back and fight while they're going off to fight the real threat.

And then, I mean, Fancy Dan will probably show up, scrape him up off the ground and pour him into Zodiark because there's no way they're going to skip that fight after foreshadowing it so hard...but give me that "Look, just gently caress off, would you?" moment first, please. :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Zenos will get another unavoidable victory over the WoL in the 90 trial, and then because he feels the apocalypse is interrupting his fun, you finish the game in a roleplaying duty as Zenos and single-handedly end Hydaelyn and Zodiark yourself, becoming the will of the planet in the process.

The WoL gets to choose from dialogue options "Thank you for doing what I couldn't." and "Zenos was the coolest guy."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hogama posted:

Zenos will get another unavoidable victory over the WoL in the 90 trial, and then because he feels the apocalypse is interrupting his fun, you finish the game in a roleplaying duty as Zenos and single-handedly end Hydaelyn and Zodiark yourself, becoming the will of the planet in the process.

The WoL gets to choose from dialogue options "Thank you for doing what I couldn't." and "Zenos was the coolest guy."

gently caress, you win, this is clearly the most likely prediction.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hogama posted:

We can only pray

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hogama posted:

In the credits, he marries Y'shtola.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Onmi posted:

Unfortunately, any KH raid would involve getting Disney involved, and Disney is loving miserable to work with. And yes, they would have to be involved, all the KH OC's are owned by Disney and they are balls deep in taking control of basically anything involved with it. It would also have to be temporary content. That's how previous KH crossovers in other works have had to be.

Intellectually, I know this. Emotionally, I refuse to acknowledge reality.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

We've had one friendly alien race and one persuadable. We're due

We got a hostile alien race. We threw their invasion back through their interdimensional portal this patch at the end of their raid story arc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

multijoe posted:

Zenos is not a force of nature, he is just a dick!

Zenos is the physical embodiment of the fascist "Power and control above all human dignity and suffering" Garlean mindset, being the direct result of Varis desperately trying to outshine Emet, his grandpappy, who made the whole deal as a way to gently caress up the world. He's a ghost who just comes back to his body when he dies and has powers beyond the imagination of normal men.

That dude's a force of nature now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Zenos will quit the game, screaming "You don't pay my sub!" when we don't follow his fight mechanics.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Zenos isn't a 1 for 1 for the player, but there's definitely a certain 'I only want big fights and the perfect weapon and nothing else is relevant to me, not even the plot.' aspect to him.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gearhead posted:

The New Year's poem warned of dangers both in the skies and under the ground and how, for there to be a future at all, both would have to be confronted.

obviously the moon threat is zodiark and the earth threat is hydaelin

i know peeps in here like going "there's no evidence that hydaelin is fishy if you ignore all the evidence", but even noted "smart one in the room" scion Y'shtola says "let's not blindly assume things here"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No one thinks there's not something off about crystalmom, just that the game isn't going to go "actually she's evil and we need to kill her"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't imagine having to kill God in a Final Fantasy game. What a wild concept.

e: I don't think Hydy is necessarily 'evil' - it's more likely she has no concept of morality and is simply an entity that's unconsciously doing incalculable damage to the planet and its people. She's a thing that Should Not Be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No one thinks there's not something off about crystalmom, just that the game isn't going to go "actually she's evil and we need to kill her"

Yeah, exactly. Hydaelyn was always going to be a bit 'off', because frankly that's just how JRPGs work. The thing that was absolute nonsense with no evidence to it is 'Hydaelyn is evil' (and its cousin, 'Hydaelyn tempered us', because the game's never wavered from her being a benevolent figure who can be trusted and taken at her word.

The game had a hojillion chances to hint that she wasn't on the up and up, including exactly that scene in 5.5, and has never taken a single one of those chances. Eventually you have to accept there's no prize behind that door.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There was that time she murdered every single being on the planet bar three very angry guys, but yeah aside from that she seems pretty clean

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's a pretty reductive way to describe it but some people really hate the concept of unambiguous (or nearly unambiguous) good so...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That's a pretty reductive way to describe it but people really hate the concept of unambiguous (or nearly unambiguous) good so...

Every single being on the planet bar Lahabrea, Emet-Selch and Elidibus ceased to exist by function of her attack against Zodiark, she murdered them

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

multijoe posted:

Every single being on the planet bar Lahabrea, Emet-Selch and Elidibus ceased to exist by function of her attack against Zodiark, she murdered them

*looks around the obviously empty Source and First* wow whoa

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

multijoe posted:

Counterpoint: All of them continued to exist and thrive as living organisms, the only people who disagreed are all evil bastards who we killed (or were in the same room when a god-king killed them, which counts in many people's eyes).

She shook things up a bit, but... honestly, given even Zodiark is still alive I'd be hesitant to even say her kill count is at one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

She's also a tool. If you want to go that route that she murdered everyone (I don't really agree with that framing) you're better off pinning the blame on Venat and co. She was doing exactly what she was created for, she couldn't just say "no" to fighting Zodiark or whatever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

*looks around the obviously empty Source and First* wow whoa

She created new people, but the old ceased to exist for that to happen. Come on this is a basic part of Shadowbringers plot, which also went out of its way to beat you over the head with 'neither light nor dark are good nor evil, but only what people make of it'. Zodiark and Hydaelin were both created to do very bad things in a very bad situation, both have tremendous amounts of blood on their hands.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

She's also a tool. If you want to go that route that she murdered everyone (I don't really agree with that framing) you're better off pinning the blame on Venat and co.

No, you should pin the blame on the Convocation going "okay, now that the universe is no longer trying to actively kill us, let's sacrifice all this new not-amaurotine life to bring back the people we just threw into the Zodiark blender".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

yeah i'm not saying the twist ending will be that hydaelin engages in recreational puppy-kicking, but also "eventually antagonistic" is not the same as "cartoonishly evil". even something like fandaniel recreating the conditions that let to the planet going buckwild and triggering hydaelin's sundering protocols can put her at odds with the protagonists

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Counterpoint: All of them continued to exist and thrive as living organisms, the only people who disagreed are all evil bastards who we killed (or were in the same room when a god-king killed them, which counts in many people's eyes).

She shook things up a bit, but... honestly, given even Zodiark is still alive I'd be hesitant to even say her kill count is at one.

If you follow this logic through then it is practically impossible to commit murder in the world of FF14 because the matter of their souls will return to the lifestream and reincarnate forming a new 'them', but the entity that recognised itself as Azem and every other person on that planet ceased to exist when Hydaelin did her thing. That is death.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
For all we know, the sundering turned 1 world and X ancients into 14 worlds and 14X beings in an instant, no deaths. There could have been 14 weak Azems running around, hanging out with 14 weak Hythlodaeuses. We don't know that it was some life scouring event, only populated millennia later as new life developed from the aetherial residue of the former.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 22, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

multijoe posted:

If you follow this logic through then it is practically impossible to commit murder in the world of FF14 because the matter of their souls will return to the lifestream and reincarnate forming a new 'them', but the entity that recognised itself as Azem and every other person on that planet ceased to exist when Hydaelin did her thing. That is death.

First of all you are using that last argument against the wrong person, because my response to 'Azem is dead' is 'good riddance'.

Second of all, real hard to mourn the event that leads to us being alive.

Third of all, realize that your rhetorical approach here is taken wholly from Literally The Bad Guys Who You're Meant To Disagree With, so maybe consider the motivations behind it.

Fourth of all, can't even say that was a bad move by Hydaelyn even if it WAS intentional (which it was not). Remember that she was summoned to protect the 'new life' that was sprouting and the Convocation wanted to sacrifice. Her smackdown of Zodiark just made MORE of that new life, how is that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there a canonical age of the WoL? I'd imagine not but if Azem keeps getting reincarnated to be a goody goody adventurer/cop/soldier/chef/carpenter, it's likely that only the past up to 100 years have been during the WoL's iteration of Azem.