Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

akkristor posted:

Isn't this basically exactly what Star Shitizens want?

Either treat the game as a not just a second job, but a second loving life to earn enough to buy a capital ship, or beg some player org to let you sweep floors on one of their multi-crew capital ships and hope they get into a combat and let you pew pew one of their guns for them, when they're not just doing cargo run quests and using your (possibly dead) body as a method to prevent their 3,000+ dollar ship from respawning?

Oh, and don't forget the open PVP anywhere and everywhere so if you DO try to make enough money mining or doing missions, someone with more ships and more time will just blow you up for shits and giggles because their ships have LTI and yours don't.

Yeah but they also want exciting dogfighting which EVE does not have.

However, Star Citizen doesn't have exciting dogfighting either, it just has lovely dogfighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but they also want exciting dogfighting which EVE does not have.

However, Star Citizen doesn't have exciting dogfighting either, it just has lovely dogfighting.

I'm not even sure the majority of Star Citizens want space combat anymore. Reading what they mostly post nowadays, it seems like they want to do weird space-jobs like mining, civilian transport, quests on the ground, etc.

The Arena Commander mode (basically the PVP quick-dogfight mode) has been broken for months and nobody cares. If you want to actually fly around in a spaceship and fight other players, you have to play the PU, wake up in the wankpod, go to a kiosk to get your ship, then enter pvp zone, etc.

It's wild that after all this time, they still haven't sat down and figured out how to make space combat fun and balanced. It's just not a priority.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
A fun and involved space combat system would involve such possibilities as skill-based maneuvers, counters, and 'outplaying' an opposing pilot. That would contradict SC's "buy your way into feeling important" game design philosophy.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Trillhouse posted:

I'm not even sure the majority of Star Citizens want space combat anymore. Reading what they mostly post nowadays, it seems like they want to do weird space-jobs like mining, civilian transport, quests on the ground, etc.

The Arena Commander mode (basically the PVP quick-dogfight mode) has been broken for months and nobody cares. If you want to actually fly around in a spaceship and fight other players, you have to play the PU, wake up in the wankpod, go to a kiosk to get your ship, then enter pvp zone, etc.

It's wild that after all this time, they still haven't sat down and figured out how to make space combat fun and balanced. It's just not a priority.

They want Second Life in space / The Oasis from Ready Player One.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

Lining up to be employees at the Space-TSA. HIGH FIDELITY cavity search.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

They want Second Life in space / The Oasis from Ready Player One.

Are you saying we're getting a star citizen metaverse? Maybe an AMD shartiverse to compete with Nvidia's.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I found a thing

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Blobers is my favorite thing about all this, I feel like he doesn't even have a PC he just attached himself to the cause and scours the forums on his cheap android tablet repping for CInotG.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

I found a thing

Poor blobbers.

I’d feel bad for him if he wasn’t so insufferable.

I sincerely honestly hope that he’s being paid by CIG for shilling in the comments on every game site, because if he’s doing it for free that’s just sad...

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Pixelate posted:

I found a thing

this reminds me what was the original goal of 4.0. Someone should dig up that roadmap.jpg for me, because i bet it has aged like a fine wine
also is there 4.0 in roadmap for current star citizen anymore?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

I found a thing

I am sure he believes in "10 year plan" now.

:reddit: Roadmap in Graph Form (21 April, 2021) (Updated Information)

those progress bars mean nothing

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 21, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think 4.0 is supposed to be whenever they add a second system.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Poor blobbers.

I sincerely honestly hope that he’s being paid by CIG for shilling in the comments on every game site, because if he’s doing it for free that’s just sad...

Nobody getting paid would put that much effort in. You only get that level of zealotry for free.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Ok bear with me I'm just going through this and holy gently caress how are none of the big whales up in arms

Mop&Bucket at 0% ... I mean that says a lot considering they were talking about MOP AND BUCKET LIKE 5 YEARS AGO

Wait, how are ALL the SQ42 chapters some variation between 0-100%, didn't they say they had the chapters finished years ago... so strange!!

Hold up, what is this... ATC .... but

ATC Service is at 92%, great

ATC System rewrite is at.... 46%

So the thing that you haven't even finished to 100% is already halfway completely rewritten.... what in the holy crobberts is going on here folks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol SQ42 is like 25% complete according to that graph which is of course completely detached from reality to begin with. They must have scrapped and restarted SQ42 like a year ago.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

lol SQ42 is like 25% complete according to that graph which is of course completely detached from reality to begin with. They must have scrapped and restarted SQ42 like a year month ago.

phew at least Theatres of War is showing 75%, can't wait for that to be released!

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 21, 2021

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

Ok bear with me I'm just going through this and holy gently caress how are none of the big whales up in arms

Mop&Bucket at 0% ... I mean that says a lot considering they were talking about MOP AND BUCKET LIKE 5 YEARS AGO

Wait, how are ALL the SQ42 chapters some variation between 0-100%, didn't they say they had the chapters finished years ago... so strange!!

So the thing that you haven't even finished to 100% is already halfway completely rewritten.... what in the holy crobberts is going on here folks

I dunno I think it's amazing that they have completed exactly 30% of 11 levels of squadron 54 at the same time, that points to a really well oiled pipeline that is efficiently producing everything in sync.

Also I'm looking forward to tier 1 of that roadmap where I can actually read a loving thing on it without hurting my eyes.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep. I'm not kidding when I say that the general experience of being a corporate soldier is sitting in dock spinning your ship and waiting for something to happen for literal hours.

As a 14 year eve vet and a former member of Pandemic Legion, this is completely correct.

Also at the end I had 13 accounts. Each with its own specialty.

It's a life and money sink.

Don't do it. When you start getting massive pings for fleets and your having sex with your wife and feel torn, you know it's time to contemplate your life.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

My EVE experience: I bought a jillion ISK off of a farmer for like 20 bucks as seed capital, because that economy is out of control and honestly who has the time to grind. That farmbot was my first and most important social interaction, because every body else was either a) a pirate who silently murdered me immediately, or b) took this whole thing way too seriously and expected me to quit my job in order to be available for ops. So I milled about, took missions, killed pirates, and eventually got into a cruiser. "This looks kinda neat", I thought, impressed with finally being in a ~big ship~. I then was promptly blown up by a player in something much smaller. I never returned.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Basins: 0%
Ladder T1: 0%
Stair Locomotion T1: 0%
Navy Jumpsuit: 0%
Prone T1: 0%
Selling: 10%!

The game is good, folks

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Dwesa posted:

I'm not sure what's more comical, that the game was going to beta 2020 for the third time and is clearly like 20% done by their own reporting. (hope crobbler doesn't discover the 80 / 20 rule)

Or things like the MFD rework, something that is like T6 been reworked like 10 times is still on the todo list. how many teirs do you get before they just drop the TX status?

Subsumption was done ages ago? why is the subsumption service at 0%

wtf is starwords tm? what are starwords improvements?

is normal to only have error reporting tools at 30% in year 10 of development?

why are boat movement parameters at 21% when my space game is missing?

This raises so many questions while dashing so many hopes

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Can I get some advice from someone that isn’t an obvious FUDster shill for Big Sim?

Play Freespace 1 and 2

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

DigitalPenny posted:

wtf is starwords tm? what are starwords improvements?

Maybe they’re like gamer words?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
found this joe blobers gem on mmorpg.com just recently.

joe posted:

Only 35 to 45$ is required to pledge for a starter package and nothing more. All flyable ships can be achieve in game with credits as well as many others assets.

1.000.000 individual backers did joined already... We can guee that fre weeks several tiems per year so everyone can test/play is enough to prove to most this 'tech demo' is good enough to support with few bucks.

a non-citizen posted:

JB in rl

Mailman "Top of the Morning to ya Joe!"
JB "Only 35 to 45$ is required to pledge for a starter package and nothing more."
Mailman "Poor parents i really feel for em"

School Counselor "Alright Joe time to think about your future, what interests you?"
JB "Only 35 to 45$ is required to pledge for a starter package and nothing more."
School Counselor "Ohhh OK, the Village idiot huh, well luck has it we haven't had one here since the day of snake oil salesmen!"

The Mayor "So Joe you're applying for ummm hang on a sec, let me see here... ahh yes the Village Idiot. Ok then, alright Joe what makes you think you could handle such an important position within our society?"

The Mayor jumps out of his chair like a rocket heading to the moon and bellows "HIRED!!"

As the Mayor sits back down obviously overwhelmed with relief, as he catches his breath "You know Joe i apologize, we've been without a Village Idiot ever since our last snake oil salesman left town in and around umm 2012, Rober...??? his name, what was it? AHHH YES ofc Roberts, Chris Roberts was his name. Meh there was just something about that fat gently caress always made me want to grab my baseball bat everytime is saw his bulbous head. Well grats JB, enjoy your new position :)"

the Mayor mutters to himself as he walks away "Yep that boy is going to work out just fine!"

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Poor blobbers.

He becomes even funnier when you realize it is actually Blobers.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Bumble He posted:

found this joe blobers gem on mmorpg.com just recently.

I hope Joe reads this thread, he finally has some fan-fiction here

I wanted to criticize that no way Joe is in school, but must be some middle aged dude, but really, in the store citizen time frame, both are possible

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

quote:

These are just the deliverables for this year. We're about a third of the way through the year, so 30% is just about on target. I still think next year is the year. Maybe.

Literally:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 22, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

dieselfruit posted:

Basins: 0%
Ladder T1: 0%
Stair Locomotion T1: 0%
Navy Jumpsuit: 0%
Prone T1: 0%
Selling: 10%!

The game is good, folks

Wait, you can't fall prone in this?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I wanted to do I am the ... from the roadmap but there is so much stupid poo poo there I cannot take a pick :lol:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

This is my EVE story, or at least the final act of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trillhouse posted:

What they want is the ability to buy respect and admiration, which doesn't really work in real life and never works in video games

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Dwesa posted:

UNANNOUNCED FEATURE 3 | SQUADRON 43

Already started on the sequel to the Game Of The Year 20[year+2]

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

akkristor posted:

Isn't this basically exactly what Star Shitizens want?

Correction: what they THINK they want. Which people are generally terrible at.

Anecdote: back when I played hockey as a goalie, there was a PlayStation/Sega Saturn era hockey game where you could play as the goalie. That wasn't exactly ground breaking, but this game went WAY overboard with the controls to the point where you basically had a button for every limb and playing goalie was a game of pointing the stick and pressing (for instance) R1 for a right glove save or L2 to extend your left pad.

This sounded amazing to me because think of the fidelity! Think how close to REAL HOCKEY it will be! Only REAL HOCKEY GOALIE GUYS will be able to hang, it'll be awesome!

It loving sucked. It was miserable to play, it was nothing like real hockey and it was a miserable experience.

I was 16 when I learned this lesson. These guys will be closer to 61.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen wanting to have a FPS EVE is already a bad design decision on every level. But honestly, it'll sell, like it has. However, once you get into it, its layers and layers of tedium and timesink.

Here's a play by play on a fleet op.

Fleet commander: All get ready, we're arriving (after 40 mins).

*everyone scrambles back into their pilots chairs*

*some players clip out of the floors*

*some ships explode randomly*

Fleet drops out from warp.

Fleet Com: all scanners ready.

*pilots scramble off their chairs, to get to their scanning posts*

*multicrew ships randomly explode due to unexpected issues*

Fleet Com: report back with scan results

*a garbled mess of chatter because there are too many ships with scanners, and everyones reporting something different*

Fleet Com : OK we got our first target, its the Idris at our 12 oclock.

Fleet idris A : My 12 or your 12? Seems like he's at 1 o clock, i need to tell my ships discord channel accordingly

Fleet Com : My 12 oclock. Lock targets, lets blow this guy up

Fleet Idris A / C / D, with various other ships: OK, locked in. Firing.

*every ship fires at a different target*

Fleet Com : Uh what just happened?

Fleet : sorry. seems we have some miscommunication with the other discord channels

server disconnects

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

no_recall posted:

Star Citizen wanting to have a FPS EVE is already a bad design decision on every level. But honestly, it'll sell, like it has. However, once you get into it, its layers and layers of tedium and timesink.

Here's a play by play on a fleet op.

Fleet commander: All get ready, we're arriving (after 40 mins).

*everyone scrambles back into their pilots chairs*

*some players clip out of the floors*

*some ships explode randomly*

Fleet drops out from warp.

Fleet Com: all scanners ready.

*pilots scramble off their chairs, to get to their scanning posts*

*multicrew ships randomly explode due to unexpected issues*

Fleet Com: report back with scan results

*a garbled mess of chatter because there are too many ships with scanners, and everyones reporting something different*

Fleet Com : OK we got our first target, its the Idris at our 12 oclock.

Fleet idris A : My 12 or your 12? Seems like he's at 1 o clock, i need to tell my ships discord channel accordingly

Fleet Com : My 12 oclock. Lock targets, lets blow this guy up

Fleet Idris A / C / D, with various other ships: OK, locked in. Firing.

*every ship fires at a different target*

Fleet Com : Uh what just happened?

Fleet : sorry. seems we have some miscommunication with the other discord channels

server disconnects

You forgot the most exciting part where everyone logs in, walks to spaceport, but need to stock up on hotdogs so there is a long line to fidelitious hotdog stand, each commando waiting for long vendor's animation to finish, because nobody can buy pizza from the stand next to it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

commando in tophat posted:

You forgot the most exciting part where everyone logs in, walks to spaceport, but need to stock up on hotdogs so there is a long line to fidelitious hotdog stand, each commando waiting for long vendor's animation to finish, because nobody can buy pizza from the stand next to it.

I missed out you could mismanage every turret because they're individually manned.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Dwesa posted:

| Chapter 01 | Squadron 42 | [31%]
| Chapter 02 | Squadron 42 | [0%]
| Chapter 03 | Squadron 42 | [0%]

Holy fukken lol this is definitely "beta release in 2020" territory

:tif:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

NumptyScrub posted:

| Chapter 01 | Squadron 42 | [31%]
| Chapter 02 | Squadron 42 | [0%]
| Chapter 03 | Squadron 42 | [0%]

Holy fukken lol this is definitely "beta release in 2020" territory

:tif:

I find it even funnier when you notice that Chapter 14 is more complete, at 47%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

BisbyWorl posted:

I find it even funnier when you notice that Chapter 14 is more complete, at 47%.

14 probably has the mess hall scene :v: