Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Heresy. The final 2 books are necessary. The unfinished book would have been nice, but we follow the rule of the knife here.

Heretics and Chapterhouse aren't even the worst books. The worst book is Children, and if you don't believe me I have an adult beefswelling to sell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exmachina posted:

Heresy. The final 2 books are necessary. The unfinished book would have been nice, but we follow the rule of the knife here.

Heretics and Chapterhouse aren't even the worst books. The worst book is Children, and if you don't believe me I have an adult beefswelling to sell you.

If you consider Dune and Messiah to be one book (they basically are) then when you cut out your one bad book there are four books.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you consider Dune and Messiah to be one book (they basically are) then when you cut out your one bad book there are four books.

I never said it was bad. I reserve that term for pablum written by failsons and sci-fi hacks

I said it was the worst. It is still good.

Edit: By your logic there are only 3 books. Dune, Messiah, Children; GEoD; Heretics, CH:D and the unfinished book.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 19, 2021

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to read a different book or two between Heretics and Chapterhouse, but I'm like 93% of the way through Heretics and this poo poo is so buck wild I think I gotta just finish the series.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Someone posted earlier that Dune's first publisher generally dealt with maintenance manuals for industrial and domestic air-conditioning units, or something. Did they also end up publishing the later weirder books too?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Twitch posted:

I was going to read a different book or two between Heretics and Chapterhouse, but I'm like 93% of the way through Heretics and this poo poo is so buck wild I think I gotta just finish the series.

I honestly don't understand why people hate the last 2. In many ways they are my favorites to reread because they are not so plot-driven. Yes there is pussy magic, but the POV characters are constantly questioning themselves and their organisation. It's fine.

The absolute worst scene is well-agreed upon. But throughout that scene, and preceding it, the characters are saying "woah this is some hosed up poo poo". Nothing is glorified.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Someone posted earlier that Dune's first publisher generally dealt with maintenance manuals for industrial and domestic air-conditioning units, or something. Did they also end up publishing the later weirder books too?

i think they just did the first book. the rest were published by Putnam which is owned by Penguin these days.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

pnumoman posted:

Imagine hating on tiny super Teg

Edit: to be clear, Chapterhouse Teg. Brian who?

That one kinda bugs me because I'm pretty sure he's like 10 when the book starts, and it seems like at least a few years pass during the course of the book, so he should be a teenager or close to it by the end. Like, yeah he'd be a little shorter than a full grown adult but he'd still be able to get around under his own power. I can't tell if the whole "riding on someone's shoulders" bit was the Sisterhood being intentionally emasculating, if there's some other symbolic reason for it, or if Frank just got tweens and toddlers mixed up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exmachina posted:

I never said it was bad. I reserve that term for pablum written by failsons and sci-fi hacks

I said it was the worst. It is still good.

Edit: By your logic there are only 3 books. Dune, Messiah, Children; GEoD; Heretics, CH:D and the unfinished book.

I say Dune and Dune Messiah are one book because Frank Herbert literally wrote them as one book.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Galewolf posted:

Was there any Dune Author apologists here anyway? It was us, all along, fought invisible enemies and wasted precious water over it.

That being said lmao @ BJ books having literal wizards fighting giant spider robots with encased brain pods you can't make that poo poo up.

I wouldn't call myself an "apologist" but, even though I acknowledge they are goofy trash, I enjoyed the Butlerian Jihad books enough to finish them. I think it's a case of, their reputation is so bad, that I was pleasantly surprised when I tried one and found it more engaging than I expected.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Children of Dune owns what are y'all talking about.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I say Dune and Dune Messiah are one book because Frank Herbert literally wrote them as one book.

God, cutting from the end of dune to 12 YEARS LATER would have been incredible

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

exmachina posted:

Children does have a scene where three women (Irulan, Ghanima, Alia) discuss affairs of state which to me seems far ahead of other SF or fantasy books of the time.

(Yes one of them is possessed by her evil uncle but surely that happens to the best of us)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I struggled with Children to start with but wound up quite enjoying it as it picked up. It's too long for what it is, though.

About a third of the way into God Emperor and I'm really enjoying it. The book itself is less weird and difficult than I was led to believe, but it does a good job of evoking a very weird and distant society, even compared to the Paul era empire

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Colonel Cancer posted:

Children of Dune owns what are y'all talking about.

Fuckin A well told. I think maybe it's harder to digest since Messiah is so much more of an adventure story and Children goes back to being dense and filled with mysticism.

exmachina posted:

In This Thread, There Are Six Books.

No other opinion shall be tolerated.

:hai:
There is no Herbert but Frank and Paul is his Prophet.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That one kinda bugs me because I'm pretty sure he's like 10 when the book starts, and it seems like at least a few years pass during the course of the book, so he should be a teenager or close to it by the end. Like, yeah he'd be a little shorter than a full grown adult but he'd still be able to get around under his own power. I can't tell if the whole "riding on someone's shoulders" bit was the Sisterhood being intentionally emasculating, if there's some other symbolic reason for it, or if Frank just got tweens and toddlers mixed up.

after the worm's millenia of careful selection, all reverend mothers of the bene gesserit are 9ft tall giant big tiddyed goth girlfriends

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bubblyblubber posted:

after the worm's millenia of careful selection, all reverend mothers of the bene gesserit are 9ft tall giant big tiddyed goth girlfriends

"It kills only animals, Let us say I suggest you may be human. Steady! I warn you not to try jerking away" Mommy Gesserit says as she prepares to step on me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Goblin Craft posted:

Rabban Hood: Fremen in Tights

This is sacramental water of life.

Wait a minute, there's sand, there's rocks, Maker bless everything until we get fahsnickered!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*treads rhythmically*

I don't like the way you're waaaaalking...

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When I read through Children recently I realized that Alia is Latin for 'other'. When you consider that Jessica's children were Paul, intergalactic messiah, and 'the other one', it's not such a surprise that things turned out the way they did

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Looking at that a little more closely, Paul's name comes from the Latin adjective for small/humble. Plus Alia in Arabic is supreme/exalted.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Galewolf posted:

Was there any Dune Author apologists here anyway? It was us, all along, fought invisible enemies and wasted precious water over it.

That being said lmao @ BJ books having literal wizards fighting giant spider robots with encased brain pods you can't make that poo poo up.

actually it's quite easy to make that poo poo up. After all Brian Herbert did, and he sucks!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bubblyblubber posted:

I retract my complaint and wholeheartedly endorse this as my new headcanon.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I can't wait for this I'm going to get HBO just to watch it and I'm already writing down thread ideas.

GUNE

Someone make that in the right font if they're really bored please^

I'm going to reread this entire thread for ideas. I know I will have Fyadeen and Gbesserit.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Spinz posted:

Orthodox herbertarian

e: unless you meant Edric Bold(?)

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 22, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

That green thong and its secrets

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

This is great

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang

Kull wahad!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

We need this as a gif with a sandworm as a gangtag

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
what is gyoon :britain:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bubblyblubber posted:

I don’t get why everyone is ok with the fact her complexion is that of a corpse. Why is everyone ok with her stupid greasy corpse skin! gently caress you!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
shes a vampire bro, she's not living, she's not healthy, even so she probably isn't even a white belt at prana bindu

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don’t get why everyone is ok with the fact her complexion is that of a corpse. Why is everyone ok with her stupid greasy corpse skin! gently caress you!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Spinz posted:

I can't wait for this I'm going to get HBO just to watch it and I'm already writing down thread ideas.

GUNE

I'm going to reread this entire thread for ideas. I know I will have Fyadeen and Gbesserit.

Yesss this sounds sick

PYFremen?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is one of the three threads I still regularly read, so I'd absolutely get a gang tag

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
The last time this thread had a "gang tag" fever, everyone pulled out except the guy who offered the gang tag idea lmao.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Post...without symbol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

The last time this thread had a "gang tag" fever, everyone pulled out except the guy who offered the gang tag idea lmao.

Was that the one with the smurf-blue scrotum on it ? Because,,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Balls of Ibad