Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd have to double check but I think the Japanese text for the 2b (and subsequently the kaine achievement) use a different word and 'secret' is a lazy/awkward localization. Probably should have had someone look over that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The achievement for growing the legendary flower is still in the game :yeshaha:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

RubberLuffy posted:

it even uses the same wording. "Discovered 2B's secret 10 times" "Discovered Kaine's secret 10 times" but it's much more nefarious sounding with Kaine.

:yikes:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'd have to double check but I think the Japanese text for the 2b (and subsequently the kaine achievement) use a different word and 'secret' is a lazy/awkward localization. Probably should have had someone look over that!

quote:

何をしているのですか? 2Bの秘密を10回以上確認されてしまう。

Looks like an accurate translation to me? Unless you can think of a better word for 秘密

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RubberLuffy posted:

it even uses the same wording. "Discovered 2B's secret 10 times" "Discovered Kaine's secret 10 times" but it's much more nefarious sounding with Kaine.

That's a really hosed up way to talk about perving on your intersex character

Like, the perving achievement is lame on its own, but they really shoulda thought that through

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RubberLuffy posted:

i maintain that achievements were a mistake

Augus posted:

The achievement for growing the legendary flower is still in the game :yeshaha:
...case in point

the ghost of cavia lives on, and it still hates you, player

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tamba posted:

Looks like an accurate translation to me? Unless you can think of a better word for 秘密

Hrm, no you're right. I guess I was misremembering. Thought it was phrased differently.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Maybe she kicks you in the face? I could see Kaine kicking you in the face.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

RubberLuffy posted:

yo gently caress this

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
really this is worthy of pitching a fit at the NieR and Squenix Twitters

let them know they hosed up

This is what the trophy is specifically:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah that seems like something that can and should be patched right the hell out.

Or change the code so you have to look up the book's spine crevice to earn the achievement.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah no that is so so so much worse with Kaine. :smith: She doesn’t deserve this bullshit.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty happy with just sticking with my original 360 copy now instead of paying them for that gross poo poo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is it definitely another perv trophy, or is it something else with a really poorly chosen description to riff on the old trophy?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the Automata had a perv trophy so I don’t know why it wouldn’t be that again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its the exact same wording as the perv trophy in automata, including the 'secret' part. its just a direct copy of the text. the jp text for the automata trophy, and the english text, both had the word 'secret' in it.

so its just a joke about the automata trophy. if you have an issue with that element thats fair, but its not meant to be any kind of joke about kaine specifically.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

But reusing that text with the full context of Kaine really sucks? I'm still getting the game but it's a totally fair thing to be upset about even if it's just riffing on something else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh its fair to be like, upset they didnt think about it, but i dont think theres any malice about kaine specifically intended. that doesnt absolve them of the problem but you get what i mean

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I don’t think it was intended to be phobic, but it definitely was boneheaded and tone deaf at the very least. Good excuse to remove it, I say.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

oh its fair to be like, upset they didnt think about it, but i dont think theres any malice about kaine specifically intended. that doesnt absolve them of the problem but you get what i mean

i mean yeah, most of us understand they they just bumbled into being incredibly gross by not considering what they were doing at all while copy pasting their previous creep poo poo into a new context rather than there being someone there cackling about how they've slipped their phobic poo poo into the trophy list

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also if it’s a fakeout and it’s an achievement for something totally different instead of an upskirt, gently caress off, that’s not funny.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I see they kept the tedious side quests

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It says Nier on the box yes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Time to bust out a classic:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just realized replicant unlocks at 11pm EST tomorrow night .... nice...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sakurazuka posted:

It says Nier on the box yes

It's Boar Time.

Also, yeah, the achievement is unnecessarily pervy even on its face, and then you add Kaine's entire backstory which makes it... ugh, just not cool at all. Doubt it was intentional but yeah, someone was asleep at the wheel for a bit on this one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just preordered Nier. I think I may have spoiled myself for most of it already but screw it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Wow! This loving sucks.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

RubberLuffy posted:

really this is worthy of pitching a fit at the NieR and Squenix Twitters

let them know they hosed up

This is what the trophy is specifically:

Wonder if this means they removed the old DLC outfits, which had Kaine's package on full display.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

just preordered nier but it's likely arriving when i'm away from home, so my housemate gets to play it. he has no idea what the game is like other than it's "the prequel of automata"

i told him that all the sidequests are important and he should play them. also to ensure he completes all the fishing.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Tell him that where the fishing spot is or he'll hate the game and become a moderately popular fast food podcaster

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
oh esus christ we're gonna have to do life in the sands AND the perfect flower in real time now

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

goblin week posted:

oh esus christ we're gonna have to do life in the sands AND the perfect flower in real time now

Depends on whether the garden uses the user-changeable time or the internal kernel timer lol

On PC you'll def. just be able to change your system time with wild abandon

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-hm8ZOm6E

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Speaking of the PC version, its sounding kind of dire.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1385207601726644225

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
This game is going to own, I can't wait.

Ended up switching my order to PS5 since PC seems to be having issues.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Eh, Kaldaien will have it fixed in, like, a week. Probably.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Eh, decided to put in a refund request on GMG and get the PS4 version instead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lol gdi

Well, hopefully it's not worse than automata's port, i managed to enjoy that just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That stuff is hardly DIRE. Automata had combinations of wouldn't run, detect correct resolutions, or correct input devices on all 3 computers I tried it on without the fan patch.

Still, getting on pc so I can hack through any tedious bullshit they've left in.