Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I would love to know the series of events that drove Tanaka from being the host of a weekly shopping program to peddling black market goods online in the span of 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

anakha posted:

I would love to know the series of events that drove Tanaka from being the host of a weekly shopping program to peddling black market goods online in the span of 4 years.
There's only one explanation, really; the orphanage is about to go under and he needs to get a lot of money quick to keep the loan sharks away.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

anakha posted:

It's somehow Junes' fault. Teddie is the scourge of mankind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

anakha posted:

Embezzlement scandal, probably. Remember, orphans or no, he is still a ruthless business man who sells only gas masks in P4 once he smells the opportunity to make money off of fear.

Commander Keene posted:

There's only one explanation, really; the orphanage is about to go under and he needs to get a lot of money quick to keep the loan sharks away.
Isn't that what Kazuma Kiryu is for?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I was also attempting a real-time playthrough of Royal, but it had been so long since I played it that I got into it and ended up playing several days worth. To make up for it, I have added the following restrictions:

- no looking poo poo up - test answers, confidant responses, etc.
- no reloads to min/max on crafting/chalk dodges, etc.
and the big one:
- ONE save slot. All decisions are FINAL, and I MUST save at every opportunity.

It's been a little panicky so far like "is this the right thing? should I do this now?" etc. but I feel like it's going okay. Just got done with the post-Kamoshida celebration.

I'm playing sort of casually otherwise, in that I am also playing other games, so not entirely focused on this one.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im currently 65 hours into P5. Just cleared the 5th palace. I bought the original version since it was on sale at the time.

Does P5R heavily change the main narrative? Or is it just side stuff.

I cant imagine playing Royal anytime soon because even the original is such a massive game.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

P5R adds on an extra chapter at the end. There are a few new scenes throughout the game to set up the new chapter but the main narrative remains unchanged

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

Im currently 65 hours into P5. Just cleared the 5th palace. I bought the original version since it was on sale at the time.

Does P5R heavily change the main narrative? Or is it just side stuff.

I cant imagine playing Royal anytime soon because even the original is such a massive game.

It slightly modifies the main narrative but when the game usually ends it adds an entirely new section. It also adds a lot of gameplay features that make the game more fun.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

anakha posted:

I hope the series never stop the Tanaka cameos, and that with every new game his activities get even weirder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In Persona 6 he should be selling space tours or something, make his career trajectory just completely loving inexplicable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HaB posted:

So I was also attempting a real-time playthrough of Royal, but it had been so long since I played it that I got into it and ended up playing several days worth. To make up for it, I have added the following restrictions:

- no looking poo poo up - test answers, confidant responses, etc.

I forgot about how confidant dialogue choices have variable effects and ended up picking a +1 choice with Takemi because I thought it was funny....

Oh well Chihaya can bail me out down the road

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I forgot about how confidant dialogue choices have variable effects and ended up picking a +1 choice with Takemi because I thought it was funny....

Yeah I've been picking based on what I myself would actually say in the same situation. Hasn't been optimal, but it's been funny a coupla times.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I'm playing Royal finally, and I'm at 20,000 yen as of finding the treasure room. I'm fine with a bit of grinding, so is that amount fine to leave with or should I aim for a higher amount? I can't remember what I left with back when I played the original.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Don't worry about cash, you'll be swimming in yen before long.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am saving all my "grind time" for Mementos since I will have to do that there anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm playing Royal finally, and I'm at 20,000 yen as of finding the treasure room. I'm fine with a bit of grinding, so is that amount fine to leave with or should I aim for a higher amount? I can't remember what I left with back when I played the original.

You'll be fine. There isn't a ton you need to spend money on early on, and later once you get access to Mementos you will never have to worry about money again. Royal absolutely throws money at you.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I think that should be fine assuming your gear is up to date.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

As long as I have 100,000 by June 22 everything should be fine.

Also I must remember to buy Yakisoba Pan today, it's Friday

Edit: Friday Yakisoba and Sunday Smoothies...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 22, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress playing optimally, Makoto gets told "beep boop" not matter what.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

once you get access to Mementos you will never have to worry about money again

Ran around a single floor in Mementos just now and walked out with 150k. The statement above is accurate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4/22: Pan Secured

Also are these phone convos after confidants new?

lol that this is still a thing

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 23, 2021

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Yea what's the deal with that??? I thought Sojiro was gonna end up being some creep rear end weirdo with lines like that but then ???? nothing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's fronting

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dr. Carwash posted:

Yea what's the deal with that??? I thought Sojiro was gonna end up being some creep rear end weirdo with lines like that but then ???? nothing.

Yeah I definitely assumed that Sojiro was gonna turn out to be a baddie but he’s one of about two people over the age of 45 who don’t suck in this game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

anakha posted:

He just prefers doing crimes.

He tried the whole honest work thing, but crime is what truly brings him joy.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Made some curry tonight and have leftovers, so I’m considering having a Joker morning tomorrow, with curry for breakfast with my coffee.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Made some curry tonight and have leftovers, so I’m considering having a Joker morning tomorrow, with curry for breakfast with my coffee.

Joker's Kitchen is honestly one of the things that has given me great joy in 2021 so far

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They are, yes. They give you a chance to scratch some extra SL points if you choose the correct answer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mastajake posted:

Breakfast of champions.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Arist posted:

He's fronting
His early lines are kinda funny when you realize that every time he's on the phone, he's probably talking to Futaba.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes

quote:

lol that this is still a thing

I think it's meant to be a front - and Sojiro being a throwback.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The Reaper in P5R is a letdown compared to P4G. Part of it is because it was a pain in the rear end to find in the latter, part of it was because the item drop in P5R kinda sucks in comparison.

All it ever did in my fight was Concentrate > Megidolaon, so as long as I kept it under Debilitate and one team member had Mediarahan available, all I had to do was whittle its life down.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It was even easier in P5.

The Reaper was susceptible to the Flu, so if you go into Mementos during Flu Season you could very very easily farm him to your heart's content. This was removed in Royal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lazy Saturday... just studied and helped out Sojiro. Also this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lazy Saturday... just studied and helped out Sojiro. Also this

I'm doing an LP of Royal right now where I obsessively talk to every NPC for new dialogue and I'm unbelievably upset I didn't see this

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Getting towards the end of August in P5 strikers thinking the game is about over I stopped the Jails but newp there is more to go.

Game is great though

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nice to see that Yoshitsune is just as broken as ever.

E: Hey, welcome back Igor. Missed ya buddy.

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 24, 2021

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Goddammit, I didn't really want to grind in Mementos (mid-November in Royal), but I did want all of the flowers for some reason and you need to go through the levels a couple of times to find them all. Result: 15+ levels higher than when I entered.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
After finishing up P5 strikers, it seems like they kind of left room for another Phantom Thieves game but I imagine a future Persona 6 would be a totally new cast unless were expecting another off shoot of P5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pennfalath posted:

Goddammit, I didn't really want to grind in Mementos (mid-November in Royal), but I did want all of the flowers for some reason and you need to go through the levels a couple of times to find them all. Result: 15+ levels higher than when I entered.

If you mean the stamps, after getting the requisite ones per floor, I would shuffle between floors until Futaba's scan ability would trigger and I could verify if there was a stamp on that floor. Saved me more time overall and helped minimize grinding.