Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I’m not fond of drop bars if I’m honest. End up on the tops all the time because the hand position on them feels super weird to me.
They're real nice for hulking out and zooming down hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I’m not fond of drop bars if I’m honest. End up on the tops all the time because the hand position on them feels super weird to me.

They're useful for me - I have spinal stenosis and some other poo poo going on and it's nice to be able to lean forward for a bit to take the pressure off, even if I'm on the hoods and tops 75% of the time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh there is no right or wrong way to ride bikes, if I have a long standing gripe I just wish there was less pressure on the more casual riders with the clothes.

Saw the most miserable elderly woman in Lycra when we were riding to go shopping on Monday, husband on normal bike, she was on an ebike, and we clearly kicked off round 2 of a massive argument as we went past because we heard her screaming “SEE THEY ARE WEARING JEANS” at him.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Ugh that's sad. Fragile cyclist doesn't want E-bike riding (and uh life-) partner smoking him in casual clothes.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm happy to let people ride in jeans and discover the limitations for themselves

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've never used actual biking clothes (except certain rain and winter things i guess). I sometimes wonder what I'm missing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Vando posted:

I'm happy to let people ride in jeans and discover the limitations for themselves

Dutch bikes yes, being able to get your leg over a man’s bike without leaning it over in a comical way no.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
As I've gotten older, I really give zero shits how people want to ride bikes and what they wear when riding. I've also come to the point where I think most of the e-bike hatred stems from ableist arguments and people upset that the barriers to entry to cycling are lower by not needing as much fitness and they are annoyed that their hobby isn't as exclusive. Yeah, roadies can suck, have bad tempers and be loving assholes, but there are walls in gravel and MTB too, regardless if people point them out as much. I care much more about more people riding any type of bike, breaking car culture, and getting people to think less of cyclists so that when people vote or allocate money it's shown in our infrastructure and our trails.

Signed,
Someone who raced road/MTB/cyclocross, has lots of spandex, lots of too expensive plastic bikes, and probably lots of other stereotypical things cyclists are hated for.

Apr 7, 2003

Seems to me like a lot of the hatred at cyclists is unreasonably focused on lycra shorts and people don't understand that the padding in them is sorta necessary

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

we clearly kicked off round 2 of a massive argument as we went past because we heard her screaming “SEE THEY ARE WEARING JEANS” at him.
LMBO

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Seems to me like a lot of the hatred at cyclists is unreasonably focused on lycra shorts and people don't understand that the padding in them is sorta necessary
It's only necessary on road/XC saddles?

alnilam posted:

I've never used actual biking clothes (except certain rain and winter things i guess). I sometimes wonder what I'm missing.
More zoom, and hard AF saddles so they don't bind to your pants.

People should just ride the way they like.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 22, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

My gravel bike came with a saddle that feels like it's made out of fiberboard and sandpaper, ymmv

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

At the same time, there are a bunch of cyclists who insist that lycra shorts are necessary in all cases when, if you're riding for under an hour, you probably don't need the additional comfort over convenience. I wouldn't ride in jeans for hours, and likewise I wouldn't break out the bibs to ride to the shops.

Apr 7, 2003

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM MY rear end INTO THE LYCRA. ITS A TRIP TO THE SUPERMARKET

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

there's some extremely weird gender politics around men in tight clothes that goes on with cyclist hatred, i don't pretend to understand it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Is it really a thing for cyclists to judge casual clothes? I feel like it's more the other way around, I don't give a poo poo what anyone is wearing most of the time but I think it's hilarious when someone is decked out in a skinsuit and I pass them while running.

I tend to commute in running shorts or track pants but I'll wear bike shorts for anything over two hours. I only wear the polyester stuff on commutes because I sweat excessively and it's gross

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Is it really a thing for cyclists to judge casual clothes? I feel like it's more the other way around, I don't give a poo poo what anyone is wearing most of the time but I think it's hilarious when someone is decked out in a skinsuit and I pass them while running.

I tend to commute in running shorts or track pants but I'll wear bike shorts for anything over two hours. I only wear the polyester stuff on commutes because I sweat excessively and it's gross

As with most things in life, it depends on your perspective and which side you are on, so to speak.

But yeah, gently caress people who wear spandex to ride a bike, they’re a bunch of assholes. You’re the only one doing it right. :jerkbag:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

vikingstrike posted:

As I've gotten older, I really give zero shits how people want to ride bikes and what they wear when riding. I've also come to the point where I think most of the e-bike hatred stems from ableist arguments and people upset that the barriers to entry to cycling are lower by not needing as much fitness and they are annoyed that their hobby isn't as exclusive. Yeah, roadies can suck, have bad tempers and be loving assholes, but there are walls in gravel and MTB too, regardless if people point them out as much. I care much more about more people riding any type of bike, breaking car culture, and getting people to think less of cyclists so that when people vote or allocate money it's shown in our infrastructure and our trails.

Signed,
Someone who raced road/MTB/cyclocross, has lots of spandex, lots of too expensive plastic bikes, and probably lots of other stereotypical things cyclists are hated for.

Yeah, for a long time, probably too long a time, I though that racing was the end all be all point of getting on a bike. Eventually I just got sick of feeling like it was something I had to do, so I started doing "fun" events like Eroica and local gravel beer fests. And the same deal goes for e-bikes, hatred for pretty much no reason. I still enjoy kitting up in the lycra to hit the road or trails, but I must admit commuting in civies or going to the shops on my wife's power assist trail bike are equally enjoyable. Next up on my list of new bike things to try: Bikepacking

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

vikingstrike posted:

Signed,

preach.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

As with most things in life, it depends on your perspective and which side you are on, so to speak.

But yeah, gently caress people who wear spandex to ride a bike, they’re a bunch of assholes. You’re the only one doing it right. :jerkbag:

You didn't really think I was saying that, did you?

sheesh you must get passed by a lot of runners

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The world is divided into pootlers and zoomers, and the only thing we will truly agree on is that those stupid /\ bike gate things were installed by people who hate fun.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

sat on my keys! posted:

there's some extremely weird gender politics around men in tight clothes that goes on with cyclist hatred, i don't pretend to understand it.

Seems to be a more conservative thing. Its their problem, not anyone else'.

Basically:

vikingstrike posted:

Signed,

This.

dgaf and always ride more bikes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

You didn't really think I was saying that, did you?

sheesh you must get passed by a lot of runners

quote:

but I think it's hilarious when someone is decked out in a skinsuit

And I don’t but thanks for being an rear end in a top hat anyway.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
"This person isn't fit enough to wear spandex and is taking bikes too seriously. See how great I am when I can run faster than you can pedal." is gatekeeping and does not make the sport more inclusive.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

Seems to be a more conservative thing. Its their problem, not anyone else'.

Yeah definitely, it's just weird. I get a lot of "keep exercising, sugar!" type of stuff from random men on the street/in cars but guys I know who ride in spandex will get vicious homophobic abuse.

Apr 7, 2003

sat on my keys! posted:

Yeah definitely, it's just weird. I get a lot of "keep exercising, sugar!" type of stuff from random men on the street/in cars but guys I know who ride in spandex will get vicious homophobic abuse.

Yeah, I've been called every name in the book while out riding

I can tell when the country music concert is in town when I cycle down by the stadiums based on the number of homophobic slurs, it kicks rear end.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
catcalled, yeah its happened to me. but uh homophobic slurs? haha. try me.

To be fair I've never ridden in ohio or the like. Just out west and the south.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Just here to say, forums user vikingstrike is killing it.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

bicievino posted:

:same:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cant hear the comments if you have earbuds in :v:

Apr 7, 2003

We'd finished a ride one day and I was walking over to the pay kiosk so I could get my car out of the lot we'd parked in when a very large man in a truck with West Virginia plates pulled up next to me, rolled the window down, and called me a not very nice homophobic slur. Hope it made his day better.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

bicievino posted:

:hmmyes:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

We'd finished a ride one day and I was walking over to the pay kiosk so I could get my car out of the lot we'd parked in when a very large man in a truck with West Virginia plates pulled up next to me, rolled the window down, and called me a not very nice homophobic slur. Hope it made his day better.

Poorly behaved adults that act out of insecurity and fear are going to continue acting out of insecurities and fear.

bicievino posted:

^^^ THIS. Gatekeeping ruins fun engaging hobbies.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am resigned to the fact that I will never be as cool as any cyclist pulling a trailer containing a small happy elderly dog though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
So, I'm gonna ask:

Does anybody else use polyester shorts + no underwear as a middle ground between jeans and bibs, or is that only me?

Alternatively, does anybody have underwear recommendations that are actually comfortable to ride fast in?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Is it really a thing for cyclists to judge casual clothes?
Some SERIOUS CYCLISTS will judge every last goddamn thing and it's tiring as hell.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

So, I'm gonna ask:

Does anybody else use polyester shorts + no underwear as a middle ground between jeans and bibs, or is that only me?

Alternatively, does anybody have underwear recommendations that are actually comfortable to ride fast in?

running length poly shorts? bad idea for me anyway. normal length is alright, still not ideal. Lotta unconstrained floppage and in general just things going where they shouldn't. I've had the shorts catch on the saddle which is a little annoying for MTB rides.
UA made good baselayers till about 5 years ago, not anymore. Skins/2xu work fine on a bicycle. running tights are fine too.
I usually ride in a skinsuit because I'm a huge dork and dgaf what anybody thinks.

evil_bunnY posted:

Some SERIOUS CYCLISTS will judge every last goddamn thing and it's tiring as hell.

Agreed. Hot take? I don't shave my legs.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.velominati.com/ this poo poo can gently caress right off and die in a fire imo but there are a ton of 'serious' cyclist that take it as gospel

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I think cyclist clothing depends a lot on how / why you're riding. If I were taking my bike out to just do laps around the park, then I'd probably wear jerseys and bike pants. But I'm almost always bicycling with some destination in mind, like a far flung park; or just planning to spend all day doing a long tour of parts of the city I've never been to, making lots of stops along the way. in those cases, uniqlo airism shirts + any standard exercise shorts are basically perfect.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
From what I hear and see there are a lot more people who make fun of "serious" cyclists for being a bunch of dentists on $10k bikes, shoving people out of the way on the bike path while shouting "Strava!", etc, than I see and hear the "serious" cyclists saying that anyone not in lycra is a slow loser, the velominati rules are actually meant to be followed, and so forth. Obviously anybody on a bike is doing it right and we want the sport and the culture to be welcoming and inclusive, but I think these days the MAMILs get made fun of more than the hobbyists do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
there are assholes on both sides of everything and people will tribe up and bitch about "others" no matter what the topic is

but maybe we could try to be better than that

wear what works for you, realize other people may have different goals or reasons to cycle, may be comfortable wearing certain things and not others, and don't give people poo poo about it