Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm starting a new base near one of the lakes in the northern grasslands and noticed all the nearby coal patches are colored yellow for some reason.

I'm hoping it is just a weird anomaly and wont gently caress something up down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think I read a claim on the satisfactory subreddit that a certain distance from any human player, the truck stops being a physical object navigating the world and just follows the path without collision. So if your truck never comes anywhere near your base, you can made them work pretty well. It's just when you happen to get close and they exist again and have problems.

I think the intended use for them was transporting coal, since you could also fuel them up with coal at the same time.

I haven't unlocked the drones yet. Do the flying drones require a constant supply of fresh batteries, or are the batteries just used when 'building' the drone, and then it charges off the grid?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bobulus posted:

I haven't unlocked the drones yet. Do the flying drones require a constant supply of fresh batteries, or are the batteries just used when 'building' the drone, and then it charges off the grid?

Constant supply of batteries along with consistent power drain. Battery usage varies depending on how long the trip is (I think it maxes out at 5 batteries per round trip) but just having the drone port connected is a constant 100MW power drain even when they're not flying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any way to combat lag/hitching late game or is it just kind of a thing you have to deal with?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Trucks are pointless because they have poor throughput compared to a belt and they are difficult to setup. Just build a long conveyor belt instead.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bobulus posted:

I think I read a claim on the satisfactory subreddit that a certain distance from any human player, the truck stops being a physical object navigating the world and just follows the path without collision. So if your truck never comes anywhere near your base, you can made them work pretty well. It's just when you happen to get close and they exist again and have problems.

I think the intended use for them was transporting coal, since you could also fuel them up with coal at the same time.

Yes. They're still an object in the world, but they stop "driving" and physics is turned off. They just teleport from node to node, ignoring all obstacles. You can see that happen if you have an AI route set up, it happens well within visual range.

In my experience, the vehicle AI is actually fairly consistent: if your route is bad and they're gonna gently caress up, it'll probably happen right away. But the teleporting thing means you need to follow it around for one full cycle to watch it drive. Otherwise you might have a bad path that you won't know about until much later, the first time you happen to be nearby when it drives the section that it can't handle. I think that's why they have the reputation for being inconsistent. If you just record and let it go, you don't know if your route was actually good.

(Turn on the autopilot on and then immediately jump / jetpack on top of the roof. Then you can just sit there and watch it drive the route. You'll learn a lot about the AI driving patterns, and get mildly seasick.)

Peachfart posted:

Trucks are pointless because they have poor throughput compared to a belt and they are difficult to setup. Just build a long conveyor belt instead.

A 5 minute tractor round trip carries more than a mk4 belt if the items stack to 100. A truck does the same as a mk5 belt in 6 minutes. They carry a poo poo-ton of stuff actually.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 22, 2021

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Peachfart posted:

Counterpoint: Trucks are great for stuff you only need in relatively small volumes for now, from somewhere that's a pain in the rear end to get to. Particularly in the early game there's just no way you're using up caterium, quartz or sulfur fast enough for a tractor/truck's throughput to matter, and yet it sure is nice to have a box full of all that poo poo on-hand for when the next MAAM milestone wants 50 crystal whatsits.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Klyith posted:

A 5 minute tractor round trip carries more than a mk4 belt if the items stack to 100. A truck does the same as a mk5 belt in 6 minutes. They carry a poo poo-ton of stuff actually.

I was going to say you can't load a truck faster than you can belt material into the truck station, but you can actually. Just have two truck stations next to each other, and stop at both. Still, the distances trucks are reasonable at you may as well still just belt.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A big issue with trucks is that you can only fill a truck stop through 1 belt, meaning you can fill up that stop as fast as a single of your fastest belt. You'd have to make more truck stops to compete with multiple belts, which is gonna take an ungodly amount of space.

E: Which is why I don't bother.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

I was going to say you can't load a truck faster than you can belt material into the truck station, but you can actually. Just have two truck stations next to each other, and stop at both. Still, the distances trucks are reasonable at you may as well still just belt.

I mean I wouldn't bother doing that in practice, because having a million truck stations on the map is annoying. IMO the answer to "I need to transport 1500 items per minute" is either:
1) a train
2) stop transporting ore and low-end items long distance, do 1-2 steps of refinement locally before you move poo poo

But aside from those principles, tractors & trucks themselves have pretty high throughput and it's wrong to say they're worse than a belt. Depends on the item stack size though.

edit: Personally I just dislike the appearance of extremely long-distance belts out in the world, so I've put a fair amount of thought into the non-belt options. Drones are gonna make that way easier, but setting up a drone net & retrofitting my old building for drone ports in gonna take some work.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 22, 2021

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I wish trucks were better/better supported because the balance of combining natural paths with player construction really nails the explore -> build -> connect loop and the interaction of vehicles with a very vertical 3D environment is something that most other factory games not only don't do, but can't do.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
getting one from last page:

Hemish posted:

I checked some of Nilaus videos on youtube and I don't know if it's because I suck rear end and/or I'm not a smart person but I can't follow what he's doing. He's too fast and I really don't understand how he can just plop down buildings/splitters/mergers/lifts/belts and everything fits nicely. I keep destroying 30 times each setup I'm currently building because I can't align or something ends up being too close and I can't attach a belt, etc... I mean I'm at a 70 hours total or so between those 2 saves and I still struggle. The motor factory to get one assembler at 100% was very painful and took me 1h30. The number of times I have to reposition mergers/splitter/lifts/belts or start something and discover I can't reach my third assembler's second input, etc...

Do you guys have some building resources I could look at? Maybe I'm just missing something or maybe 70h is still not enough to be very good?

It took me a while before figuring out the best ways for doing belts that 'clicked' for me. Especially for multi-input stuff. If I go back and look at the assembler & foundry setups I made in my first 100 hours, they're awkward as hell. And poo poo like "oops this belt is too tight" is a problem forever. Or at least, I still have that problem. I always build stuff way too compact though. Other people learn to just spread out and leave an extra foundation between everything.

For assemblers and more complex machines, the best advice I can give is to figure out manifolds that are linear and repeatable. For a quick example, here's how I do assembler inputs:
|
(when all those screws are flying through it's a trip to watch)

Also once you scale up and start building production lines with 10 or 20 of the same thing, it's paradoxically easier to be organized. In the early game you're constantly unlocking new items and building a hodge-podge factory that does everything, it's very difficult to build clean. The secret of big builds is that 20 constructors making plates isn't that much harder to organize than 2.

For youtubers with build tutorial videos that show more of the process, check: totalxclipse and scalti
But I've learned more from looking at screenshots here or on reddit, and thinking about how it was done than by videos.

Hemish posted:

Also, this save I wanted to try to have all bases linked together on the same foundation grid so I need to make floating paths of foundations for many hundreds of meters and since you can't go diagonally the path ends up looking like the snake on those old snake games where you can't touch your tail. Bunch of right angles everywhere. How do you guys manage that? On my first save I didn't do it and bringing a path to a new base meant that I couldn't connect them together.

I don't really like exploring because of the monsters because I end up going through so much health that I run out of them and end up dying before I can make my way back. Like I said, I'm about to start on the Tier 5-6 milestones and I only unlocked a few alternate recipes. Should I explore for more drives right now, should I use them right away or when I have more stuff unlocked because from what I can understand, it only unlocks alternate recipes of basic ones you know. I just want to maximize my exploring for slugs/hard drives to do it a minimum number of times.

Personally I find "everything aligned to 1 grid" to be silly. (I try to integrate buildings with terrain which is pretty much the exact opposite philosophy.) But you should check out some mods to help you with your experience:
Smart! lets you build a bunch of stuff at once, like long foundation areas.
Grid ruler gives you a world grid.
Passive mode if you don't like monsters.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

getting one from last page:

It took me a while before figuring out the best ways for doing belts that 'clicked' for me. Especially for multi-input stuff. If I go back and look at the assembler & foundry setups I made in my first 100 hours, they're awkward as hell. And poo poo like "oops this belt is too tight" is a problem forever. Or at least, I still have that problem. I always build stuff way too compact though. Other people learn to just spread out and leave an extra foundation between everything.

For assemblers and more complex machines, the best advice I can give is to figure out manifolds that are linear and repeatable. For a quick example, here's how I do assembler inputs:
|
(when all those screws are flying through it's a trip to watch)

Also once you scale up and start building production lines with 10 or 20 of the same thing, it's paradoxically easier to be organized. In the early game you're constantly unlocking new items and building a hodge-podge factory that does everything, it's very difficult to build clean. The secret of big builds is that 20 constructors making plates isn't that much harder to organize than 2.

For youtubers with build tutorial videos that show more of the process, check: totalxclipse and scalti
But I've learned more from looking at screenshots here or on reddit, and thinking about how it was done than by videos.

Personally I find "everything aligned to 1 grid" to be silly. (I try to integrate buildings with terrain which is pretty much the exact opposite philosophy.) But you should check out some mods to help you with your experience:
Smart! lets you build a bunch of stuff at once, like long foundation areas.
Grid ruler gives you a world grid.
Passive mode if you don't like monsters.

Oh I never thought of trying elevator-splitter/merger-elevator directly. Do they snap directly or is there an invisible belt you need to put in there? I guess you learned the exact distance to put them so it all works the first time you set one up. You also seem to have put your machine back to back... I tend to always go in one direction with a production line... hmm...

I'm not a total newbie and I did understand the manifold stuff but it gets hard when you produce one assembler for Motors and all the machines behind that assembler is not equal or even so you have 2 "lines" of different lengths to get 2 end products to finally feed in the last assembler to make motors. Maybe I'll take some screenshot of that 1 Assembler for rotors tonight and have you guy judge me on how badly I did it with the 1h30 it took me to build something this basic!

I don't really like the ideas of mods in this game. Too much investment that can break with a game update.

For an earlier reply by someone else who mentioned I could get different foundations shapes like corners... I couldn't get them to fit at all when trying to join a path to a base which weren't aligned to the same grid in my previous save... I don't know if I can't visualize how to use them or maybe I was missing some from the Sink Shop...

Most of my stuff is currently floating on one floor in different spots around my first base... It doesn't look the best but I just want stuff functional for now and not be limited by building and I don't have most alternate recipes or even technologies yet.

Also, am I alone in wanting to make one of everything in storage? Like when I first get screws for example, I make one line to fill a container that I can always pick from when I need some on hands to build stuff. When I need screws for another part, I try to make those screws with a different set of machines just for this new part I want. Screws is a bad example because you need so much but I do that for stators too. I have one small line that just do that and somewhere else I craft stator with new machines to feed a part that needs it. My first save I wanted to bring everything to the main base and craft there but now I'm trying what I just explained. Use a new site with corresponding nodes to create all the requirements for the new part I want to automate and put in storage...

Getting everything back to my base was daunting but the big hurdle was not being able to fathom how I could use all those materials without turning everything to spaghetti thus my new method for this save where for now I'm trying to have different factories that don't funnel raw resources or parts somewhere else. It'll probably come at some point but I just know that if I try again right now, I'll probably drop at the same place as my first save.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elevators will auto attach to some stuff, but not others. I always forget which they work on so I end up putting a visible gap between everything so I can always fit a belt in there.

And yes, I think everyone does a storage container for each product. It's generally known as the "mall" because it's generally set up as an aisle you can run down and grab whatever you might need.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

xzzy posted:

Elevators will auto attach to some stuff, but not others. I always forget which they work on so I end up putting a visible gap between everything so I can always fit a belt in there.

And yes, I think everyone does a storage container for each product. It's generally known as the "mall" because it's generally set up as an aisle you can run down and grab whatever you might need.

Yeah but I have one specific production line for each part. I don't just stock overflow or split it to send one part to storage and one part where another production line would need it. When I try to do something like that, my storage suffers or the other production line.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hemish posted:

Oh I never thought of trying elevator-splitter/merger-elevator directly. Do they snap directly or is there an invisible belt you need to put in there? I guess you learned the exact distance to put them so it all works the first time you set one up. You also seem to have put your machine back to back... I tend to always go in one direction with a production line... hmm...
Yeah, the elevators can snap directly from the splitter or merger to the machine port. You get a quiet beep when they're gonna connect to a port or existing connection.

The exact distance for assemblers to do that trick is have 1 foundation line down the center that's your back-to-back path, and build the assemblers 1m (one click of the snapping) onto that foundation. Helps to get elevation -- until you get the hoverpack I totally recommend throwing down lookout towers constantly when building.

Then you can build the elevated splitters pretty quick by stringing an elevated belt down the center, and building the splitters directly onto that. Stand on top of the assembler's port, look straight at the belt, and it'll be lined up enough to work. They have a bit of wiggle room.

Hemish posted:

I don't really like the ideas of mods in this game. Too much investment that can break with a game update.

The 3 I linked are all non-permanent, you can remove them at any time and nothing you've built will be affected. (Well the grid ruler thing has a unique building that marks the start of the grid, but it's disposable.)

The way that the devs implemented the saves is really good about mods -- most of the time the only consequence is mod stuff vanished from your game if without the mod.

xzzy posted:

Nah, I like a smaller storage room -- to me a giant storage mall that you can spend minutes running around in to look for parts kinda defeats the purpose. Having multi-item boxes cuts down on that a ton. Ex copper wire & quickwire share a box, rotors motors & stators are all in one box, and one box stores all "computery" stuff (because you don't need more than a stack or two of those at once). I can have everything I need in a 4x4 array.

Also, I don't store stuff that doesn't build buildings. Screws for example, they don't make anything but equipment. You never need screws in your inventory.

The problem is you need programmable splitters to do this easily, if you use a single "overflow line" that dumps things in storage. I actually rushed them by spending tickets for items before I could build them normally, just so I could build that way.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I feel like a bit QoL improvement would be the ability to snap splitters onto the end of lifts or belts. The latter is less necessary because you put the split in the middle of a belt, but it would make it easier to put splitters off the floor if you hang a or elevator on a wall and then snap the splitter right to that.

Now that I've finally gotten my (new map) factory up to tier 7 and unlocked 90% of the alternate recipes, I'm thinking about redoing all the production lines for maximum efficiency. Check me:

- Redirect all oil production to make polymer resin. Use the resulting resin + water to make plastic and rubber. Use the heavy oil byproduct mostly for diluted fuel (with more water) This has slightly higher energy requirements than making plastic/rubber directly, but will allow for a consistent fuel product, vs uneven production when direct rubber/plastic isn't running at 100% because it's not currently needed downstream.
- Use overflow of resin with smart-splitter to Sink to prevent production ever slowing down.

- Classic batteries instead of new sulfuric-acid requiring batteries

- Aluminum production via sloppy aluminum, coal (dune desert, so lots of coal nearby) and pure aluminum ingots (throwing silica completely out of equation).

The only problem I see with this is that it'll require more water than normal. But while I'm in the dune desert, I'm reasonably close to the ocean, so that shouldn't be too bad? Just run multiple water lines or possibly a water train.

Also probably going to use the nearby pressurized oil well as 100% power production so I don't need to worry about nuclear power for a bit.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 22, 2021

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

Nah, I like a smaller storage room -- to me a giant storage mall that you can spend minutes running around in to look for parts kinda defeats the purpose. Having multi-item boxes cuts down on that a ton. Ex copper wire & quickwire share a box, rotors motors & stators are all in one box, and one box stores all "computery" stuff (because you don't need more than a stack or two of those at once). I can have everything I need in a 4x4 array.

Also, I don't store stuff that doesn't build buildings. Screws for example, they don't make anything but equipment. You never need screws in your inventory.

The problem is you need programmable splitters to do this easily, if you use a single "overflow line" that dumps things in storage. I actually rushed them by spending tickets for items before I could build them normally, just so I could build that way.

How do you manage to not have the product that is made quickly to just fill all the empty spots in a mix storage container? I haven't unlocked the smart splitter yet in the MAM so maybe there's a setting to manage that?

Bobulus posted:

I feel like a bit QoL improvement would be the ability to snap splitters onto the end of lifts or belts. The latter is less necessary because you put the split in the middle of a belt, but it would make it easier to put splitters off the floor if you hang a or elevator on a wall and then snap the splitter right to that.

From my limited experience, you can snap splitter directly on the the elevator. Like You can put the lift to an input of your coal generator, put the splitter directly to the top part, delete the elevator, put the belt between the 2 splitters of your manifold, put the elevator back. I never was able to attach the belt with this setup with both the elevator and the splitter present but I found that remove the elevator means your splitter is now floating in mid air with the coal entering in the IN port so I could connect the OUT port to the next IN port in my manifold then put the splitter back.

So I installed 8 elevators for my 8 generators, 8 splitters directly on top of those elevators, removed all 8 elevators, connected all belts between the row of splitters, put back 8 elevators that snapped back to the floating splitter and voilą, one 120 units/s belt that feeds coal to 8 coal generators!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 22, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

its not a huge issue, but why can't we have splitters for elevators?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bobulus posted:

I feel like a bit QoL improvement would be the ability to snap splitters onto the end of lifts or belts.

Belts you can do this, just aim the splitter / merger at the end of the belt and it'll snap on. You can also stick them onto a belt anywhere along the belt that's straight.

Lifts it doesn't work well, the split/merge box snaps onto the lift head in this weird clipped way that frequently makes 2 ports not work.

Bobulus posted:

- Redirect all oil production to make polymer resin. Use the resulting resin + water to make plastic and rubber. Use the heavy oil byproduct mostly for diluted fuel (with more water) This has slightly higher energy requirements than making plastic/rubber directly, but will allow for a consistent fuel product, vs uneven production when direct rubber/plastic isn't running at 100% because it's not currently needed downstream.

Recycler setups using diluted fuel are more efficient than polymer resin. I feel you, because I like the polymer recipe and it's kinda annoying how the diluted/recycled is just universally better. I did poly back when diluted required the package/unpackage step and I didn't want to deal that. But now with the blender recipe the diluted fuel is just criminally easy. Check it out:
code:
                   crude  |  plas/rubr out  |  other out  |  machines
oil islands, poly   900   |   150 + 840     | 240 petcoke |  74 refineries
north sea, diluted  840   |     1500*       |   90 fuel   |  66 refineries, 9 blenders
*flexible output
And my north sea plant isn't even the best possible. I start with crude -> rubber and then dilute & recycle from that, versus the even better heavy oil alternate. Starting with rubber uses less refineries though.

The poly was a lot easier to plan though.

Bobulus posted:

The only problem I see with this is that it'll require more water than normal. But while I'm in the dune desert, I'm reasonably close to the ocean, so that shouldn't be too bad? Just run multiple water lines or possibly a water train.
Uh, where are you getting your oil from? If it's the closest small deposit at the head of the canyon, that's not really enough oil to be worth a lot of effort for. If you're getting it from the big oil area near the dune desert, build refineries on the ocean rather than ship crude back to the desert. All the water you need right there.

Hemish posted:

How do you manage to not have the product that is made quickly to just fill all the empty spots in a mix storage container? I haven't unlocked the smart splitter yet in the MAM so maybe there's a setting to manage that?
Smart splitters don't do it, I adjust clockspeed of machines so that the excess flowing past storage is roughly balanced. After that, if I am picking up items and a box is getting unbalanced, drag some stacks into the trash.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A Moose posted:

its not a huge issue, but why can't we have splitters for elevators?

Speaking of elevated splitting, it was a bitter disappointment to find out stacking splitters didn't merge them.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

As promised... on the left a small Nobelisk production and on the right what took me 1h30 to build to get one assembler working at 100% efficacity for motors.

Judge away... please don't make me cry.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to get your crate if you fall into the void?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

it *should* spawn on the edge of the cliff you fell off of. If it doesn't you can try building a ladder/tower structure down into the damage zone and try to fetch the fucker as quickly as you can while gobbling nuts/berries. When that happened to me I ended up restoring an older save and losing like half an hour of progress and an hour of fuckery trying to retrieve it

e: are some of the pits truly bottomless? I fell off the edge of the desert and there's ground down there

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 22, 2021

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It's supposed to respawn at the edge of the cliff but I never died like that so I can't confirm if it sometimes doesn't work.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I've never tried it but can't you edit your game using the satisfactory map tool save editor? Maybe check to see if it shows up on the map and move it by right clicking it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Death crates are known to sometimes spawn in unreachable places, like clipped into a rock or such.

If you have stuff in the crate that you really want back (slugs, hard drives) and can't get to it, load your save into the satisfactory-calculator map. Find the death crate, right click on it, and there's and option to update the position.

Clark Nova posted:

e: are some of the pits truly bottomless? I fell off the edge of the desert and there's ground down there

most of them are, and that desert shelf thing you could run to the edge of and throw yourself further off

"bottomless" in the videogame way of there's nothing underneath the world. you take damage when you go too far down, just like the death borders around the map sides and from going too high.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

explosivo posted:

I've never tried it but can't you edit your game using the satisfactory map tool save editor? Maybe check to see if it shows up on the map and move it by right clicking it.

I'd try this. I'm not trying to "cheat" anything and I've still had to open that up a few times... crates being below ground level, my rover fell through the ground (and i got tired of looking at the compass indicator for it), etc.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

can you retrieve your dune buggies that fell through the world the same way?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just got my first Drone station set up, is there an easy way to automate battery delivery from a central battery factory? It looks like it's just point a - point b stuff so I am thinking no but it would be nice to have a drones automatically supply batteries to other drone stations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

An important consideration when making your mall is that you don't really need "some of everything." For basic iron products you will always needs plates and rods, but screws are pretty niche or better produced as-needed for other parts. There's a lotta stuff like this where it may initially seem like "hey a shipping container full of screws would be great!" but actually no, screws aren't something you're gonna wanna jam stacks of into your inventory often. A lotta intermediary products are the same; I really don't need a container full of black powder, even if I want ones of rifle cartridges and pipe bombs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

I just got my first Drone station set up, is there an easy way to automate battery delivery from a central battery factory? It looks like it's just point a - point b stuff so I am thinking no but it would be nice to have a drones automatically supply batteries to other drone stations.

What I've read is that when a drone takes off, it grabs enough batteries for both directions of the flight. So you only need to supply batteries to 1/2 of your ports -- and if some of those are centralized you can do them all with 1 supplier. IE if you have 3 drone ports in a single location, deliver batteries to one of them and split the batteries among all 3.

Clark Nova posted:

can you retrieve your dune buggies that fell through the world the same way?

Yep. Right-click on car, adjust position, make Z positive.

(Z values for the ground surface range from -10000 at the extremely low areas like blue crater, to +24000 on top of the dune desert mesa. If you have buildings around the place where the car fell through the world, look at their position and go like 1000 units higher.)

Parking a car beneath a building or low overhang is a pretty consistent way to make them fall through the world, so watch out for that.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

If I have 2 refineries pushing out 40 plastic/min. If I want to send 30/min to an assembler for circuit board and the rest to storage (10), is the only way what I just did and merge 20 + 20 for the 2 refineries to a splitter that I merge 2 outputs to my assembler that needs 30/min? Obviously the last output of the splitter goes to the storage.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hemish posted:

If I have 2 refineries pushing out 40 plastic/min. If I want to send 30/min to an assembler for circuit board and the rest to storage (10), is the only way what I just did and merge 20 + 20 for the 2 refineries to a splitter that I merge 2 outputs to my assembler that needs 30/min? Obviously the last output of the splitter goes to the storage.

That makes 40 / 3 * 2 = 26.6 to the assembler, and 13.3 to your storage. So your assembler will be underfed until the storage is full.

Do you have smart splitters yet? If not, you super want to find some caterium and research it in the MAM. Caterium is full of good stuff that will make your life about 100x easier.

If you don't even have caterium unlocked, wander around until you find a rock outcrop, that's enough to research it so you can look for more with the ore scanner.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Instead of merging the 2 20/min outputs, split them so you have 4 belts of 10/min, merge 3 of those to get a 30/min and run that into the assembler then run the last 10 into the storage.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

That makes 40 / 3 * 2 = 26.6 to the assembler, and 13.3 to your storage. So your assembler will be underfed until the storage is full.

Do you have smart splitters yet? If not, you super want to find some caterium and research it in the MAM. Caterium is full of good stuff that will make your life about 100x easier.

If you don't even have caterium unlocked, wander around until you find a rock outcrop, that's enough to research it so you can look for more with the ore scanner.

I have caterium unlocked but I'm currently stuck near the bottom of the tree. I have the ingots and a quickwire production but I can't make everything or I'll need to do a bunch of manual crafting to unlock smart splitter. I made a small plastic and rubber production line yesterday, also a circuit board one. I manually fed a manufacturer with the required parts for 100 computer to unlock the fuel generator milestone because my situation was getting critical with 16 coal generators and I didn't feel like expanding on coal with fuel so close. Before working on this fuel generator plant, I could check if I can manually craft all of the required parts to get to smart splitter. The smart splitter doesn't seem to allow a set % of the parts to go through so how do you actually use them to split 40 plastic in 30/10 instead of using Gadzuko's solution by splitting each plastic belt in 2 to get 4 x 10 and then merge those to get 30 and 10?

I feel so dumb not having thought of doing Gadzuko's solution. I guess I'm not real good at math and it translates in this game.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Smart splitters have an overflow function, so as one exit backs up you can direct all overflow from the line to go out a different direction from the splitter.

This makes ensuring oil processing doesn't back up by sinking excess solid product super easy to do, which is a lifesaver.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hemish posted:

The smart splitter doesn't seem to allow a set % of the parts to go through so how do you actually use them to split 40 plastic in 30/10 instead of using Gadzuko's solution by splitting each plastic belt in 2 to get 4 x 10 and then merge those to get 30 and 10?

The smart splitter has a choice called "overflow". Overflow only takes any excess that doesn't fit out the ports with other picks (plus any undefined materials). So you'd put a smart splitter on the 40 line, select plastic on the port going to the circuit boards, and overflow on what's going to your storage.

Smart splitters are the best.

quote:

I feel so dumb not having thought of doing Gadzuko's solution. I guess I'm not real good at math and it translates in this game.

Don't feel too bad, since even that can be improved (just split one of the refineries into 2 10s, and directly merge one 10 into the 20 from the other refinery).

But I basically never do any of that type of splitter ratio math, between smart splitter overflow and living by the principle of the manifold: either your buffers are full, or you aren't producing enough. All the math happens during the design stage.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

The smart splitter has a choice called "overflow". Overflow only takes any excess that doesn't fit out the ports with other picks (plus any undefined materials). So you'd put a smart splitter on the 40 line, select plastic on the port going to the circuit boards, and overflow on what's going to your storage.

Smart splitters are the best.

Don't feel too bad, since even that can be improved (just split one of the refineries into 2 10s, and directly merge one 10 into the 20 from the other refinery).

But I basically never do any of that type of splitter ratio math, between smart splitter overflow and living by the principle of the manifold: either your buffers are full, or you aren't producing enough. All the math happens during the design stage.

Oh the overflow makes sense, I didn't think of using it this way. Of course shoving 40/minute from one port will end up backing up and then the overflow will be able to pass the rest to storage. It will auto sort itself 30/10.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions in this thread, hopefully it can help other people who were to shy to ask these dumb questions.

I didn't find any but is there an online/offline tool to plan a factory floor where you could take a Constructor and plop it down and it uses the correct amount of squares from the layout? Like using grid paper but not having to know by heart how many squares each machine would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not certain there is such a thing as a stupid Satisfactory question.

I also figure out the splitter math (roughly) when I'm building and never worry about it again. The only bad part about setting up a manifold like that is that it takes a bit for everything to fill up and start getting your full production. I'll often shut down the first few machines in the manifold to speed the filling for the stuff at the end. I mostly use smart splitters to send production overflow into a sink, and I don't think I've ever used a programmable splitter. I don't have nearly as nice/organized factory setups as others I've seen, though, even just in this thread.

At something approaching 200 hours played, I've started going more vertical with my factories... ie machines making the same item will have a vertical manifold rather than horizontal. It's more of a pain to set up but it makes scaling easier. I rebuilt my very first spaghetti factory making iron ingots, plates, rods, and screws to do steel instead (maxing out a pure coal node nearby, at least to make ingots), then I have a vertical stack making steel pipe, another making steel plates, a vertical stack of assemblers making the steel plates into screws, a vertical stack of assemblers making iron plates (alternate recipe using steel and plastic).
It's a bigger pain to set up but it should be a lot easier to scale since if I need more production I can just keep adding floors, rather than having floors devoted to one item and horizontal manifolds, then running out of space on that floor. The purpose of this factory is to just crank out the low-level stuff (rather than supercomputers or turbo motors or something), so I think this will work better. I should be able to set up splitters to more vertical factories to make heavy frames and such. I guess this setup is more easily modular than what I've tried before.