Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DelphiAegis posted:

If there was an oil slick on top of the waters where it sank, most likely any water they took on as part of sinking will similarly have oil on top of it. Oxygen generation on submarines is (generally) via electrolysis, which is a very hot process and could ignite the oil vapors or oil on the water the sailors are in inside the sub itself.

Beaten about chemical generation, but if that ship's on the bottom they're going to have no electrical power, because their battery and/or power conversion equipment will be flooded.

Flooded batteries loving suck, the seawater starts electrolyzing into H2 and O2, while the short circuited batteries start to also pump H2 and heat into the battery compartment, on a Diesel-electric sub like the Indonesian one this absolutely fucks you, since btw you just lost propulsion and electric power to hydraulics, so you have no way of controlling the ship and no indications of anything, and the battery well can get hot enough to ignite fires elsewhere onboard, your only chance of survival is to blow to the surface immediately.

The "fire" section on the USS Bonefish gives a good summary of a battery fire where they lost the ship but saved almost the entire crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Good pilot tho. I bet they peed a little

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cthulu Carl posted:

They clearly knew they shouldn't let an Osprey on it, why not fully remove it?

I mean, the Osprey did the job for them just as well.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
osprey and pray

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone have that picture laying around of some warning signs on a (Australian?) construction site to the effect of,

"In case of emergency, call 911 and company support at XXX-XXXX. If things are ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY hosed, call Todd at XXX-XXXX"

tia

https://i.imgur.com/AF7yWmo.gifv

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well that was a strange plan.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
At work putting some stuff in a tank to see if it breaks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

#Death_of_survivors sounds pretty metal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/i/status/1384956467762147328

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Fuck_Off_Nerds/status/1384640822705115136?s=20

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I mean, if they don't empty that cement somewhere within the timeframe you're gonna end up with a ruined cement truck.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lol how did they get that username?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Selklubber posted:

At work putting some stuff in a tank to see if it breaks.

Did it break?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qryd9xmnNd1r0uzl6.mp4

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I stopped an OSHA today. I came home from work to find my dad proudly showing me the vanload of old corrugated asbestos roofing panels a friend had given him, and asking if I could fetch my angle grinder and cut them to size so that he could roof his shed with them. After I unsurprisingly said 'no', he said that if I didn't want to do it, could he borrow my grinder. My response was that while roofing sheet may be one of the safest forms of asbestos, it's still asbestos, and cutting it with an abrasive disk is about a 9.5 on the stupidity scale. I've managed to dodge Covid so-far, so I have no desire whatsoever to roll the dice on Asbestosis.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How do you even dispose of large sheets of this stuff? Do you get a backhoe and dig a big hole?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

By popular demand posted:

How do you even dispose of large sheets of this stuff? Do you get a backhoe and dig a big hole?

Sounds right. In Austria you are "supposed" to mix pieces of it to the regular house waste (everything except paper, glass, metall, light plastic), cause NO ONE will take that stuff.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Just burn it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

"You 'aint gettin' paid until it's done".
"Okay".

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wiki:

Asbestos can be destroyed by ultra-high-temperature incineration and plasma melting process. A process of thermal decomposition at 1,000–1,250 °C (1,800–2,300 °F) produces a mixture of non-hazardous silicon-based wastes, and at temperatures above 1,250 °C (2,300 °F) it produces silicate glass.[140] Microwave thermal treatment can be used in an industrial manufacturing process to transform asbestos and asbestos-containing waste into porcelain stoneware tiles, porous single-fired wall tiles, and ceramic bricks.[141]

The combination of oxalic acid with ultrasound fully degrades chrysotile asbestos fibers.[142]

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Shishkahuben posted:

Does anyone have that picture laying around of some warning signs on a (Australian?) construction site to the effect of,

"In case of emergency, call 911 and company support at XXX-XXXX. If things are ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY hosed, call Todd at XXX-XXXX"

tia

Friend of mine is an arborist working for local government and got offered overtime to babysit a structural engineer up on a cherry picker inspecting a damaged facility. Easy money and he'd have got a full day for a few hours work so he agrees. They get up to the second floor rooftops at which point the picker promptly breaks down and leave them stranded; they call maintenance who tell them as it was a weekend they would be at least six hours.

My friend is a trained arborist perfectly capable of abseiling down from a picker, not to mention qualified to do so at work, but that would leave the hapless engineer stranded up there solo for the forseeable. In the end he couldn't bring himself to abandon him to his fate and they sat up there all day in the baking sun while the ground team hoisted bottled water up to them once an hour. He said the worst part was it was on a residential street so they had a peanut gallery of bored Little Britain teenagers heckling them for the duration.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/OutOfContextMex/status/1384516776914948098
https://twitter.com/esauq08/status/1384600824018518022

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Wiki:

Asbestos can be destroyed by ultra-high-temperature incineration and plasma melting process. A process of thermal decomposition at 1,000–1,250 °C (1,800–2,300 °F) produces a mixture of non-hazardous silicon-based wastes, and at temperatures above 1,250 °C (2,300 °F) it produces silicate glass.[140] Microwave thermal treatment can be used in an industrial manufacturing process to transform asbestos and asbestos-containing waste into porcelain stoneware tiles, porous single-fired wall tiles, and ceramic bricks.[141]

The combination of oxalic acid with ultrasound fully degrades chrysotile asbestos fibers.[142]

make the fire really hot

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

darkwasthenight posted:

Friend of mine is an arborist working for local government and got offered overtime to babysit a structural engineer up on a cherry picker inspecting a damaged facility. Easy money and he'd have got a full day for a few hours work so he agrees. They get up to the second floor rooftops at which point the picker promptly breaks down and leave them stranded; they call maintenance who tell them as it was a weekend they would be at least six hours.

My friend is a trained arborist perfectly capable of abseiling down from a picker, not to mention qualified to do so at work, but that would leave the hapless engineer stranded up there solo for the forseeable. In the end he couldn't bring himself to abandon him to his fate and they sat up there all day in the baking sun while the ground team hoisted bottled water up to them once an hour. He said the worst part was it was on a residential street so they had a peanut gallery of bored Little Britain teenagers heckling them for the duration.

every lift ive worked on had ground controls but i guess if the problem was deeper you're hosed up there. im also assuming he didn't bring up his climbing lines for that one anyway? no reason to. i wouldve had somebody just bring me more ropes and a pulley and lowered the fuckin engineer down myself

better fate than a colleague in the industry who had a loving weld snap while 50ft up:

hes laid up severely injured for at least a year.

at the end day a vast majority of Boss Mans run these things really hard with bare minimum maintenance. i haven't heard much follow up on this particular machine.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 22, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Shishkahuben posted:

tia

I just cannot get over how anyone thought this would work, he'd have been much better off just hanging on it and dropping.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
if i was told i was trapped on a lift for six hours, my next call would be to emergency services cause gently caress. that.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

By popular demand posted:

In Britain, it generally goes into landfill. I don't think it's cheap, though.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

Did it break?

It just got a bit wet luckily! The worst part was testing the stuff while two dudes sat around with notepads and watched me work for two hours.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

if i was told i was trapped on a lift for six hours, my next call would be to emergency services cause gently caress. that.

Yeah, I get the engineer might not want to do that because bosses but if they were paying me for a day, gently caress that get a fire truck out here

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Selklubber posted:

It just got a bit wet luckily! The worst part was testing the stuff while two dudes sat around with notepads and watched me work for two hours.

What are you testing at 650 bar? Deep sea oil rig stuff?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

20 Blunts posted:

every lift ive worked on had ground controls but i guess if the problem was deeper you're hosed up there. im also assuming he didn't bring up his climbing lines for that one anyway? no reason to. i wouldve had somebody just bring me more ropes and a pulley and lowered the fuckin engineer down myself

They said that the machine broke down, ground control is no better than the basket controls if the machine is without power. In all lifts that I have used there is a way to retract the zoom even if you are left without power so at least you're not stranded at maximum height but maybe that type didn't have a hydraulic zoom.

They also said that the arborist could have made it out, but stayed out of solidarity.

Most of all I wonder why they didn't just call the fire department, surely they would have responded sooner than 6 hours :wtc:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dawwwww

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

20 Blunts posted:

We're talking council workies here, so probably a combination of "I don't have the tickets for that", "the kit would take longer to collect from the closed depot than just waiting it out", or possibly just "eh, seems like effort".

That last one might be a bit unfair actually. He's personally a grafter, but there were some absolute casualties on the rest of the team. Way too many old lads with busted up knees and not enough young climbers to go round so it got to be a hassle to get them to leave the ground as opposed to 'hit it with a pole saw and call it a day'.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

I just cannot get over how anyone thought this would work, he'd have been much better off just hanging on it and dropping.

Didn't they have any rope they could toss up??

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/M929CQS.gifv

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like he checks for a dook at the end of the gif

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I like how for a couple seconds the truss looks like it deforms perfectly around him like some looney tunes poo poo

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Looks like he checks for a dook at the end of the gif

pooping a little is an appropriate response to that

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Elviscat posted:

What are you testing at 650 bar? Deep sea oil rig stuff?

No we just had it at 10 bar so just for checking if the gear is able to withstand water plus some safety margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zjE83pf.gifv