Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Gorman Thomas posted:

Can I get a rec for a dry rear end book on post-WWII Indian history. Bonus points for one on Pakistan.

I recently read India after Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy by Ramachandra Guha and would recommend it. I'd note that Guha is a classical liberal and presents India's history from that perspective, but he seems to strive to be objective in his analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1384922265553457162

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

A high-profile CEO has called on Australian businesses to boycott Chinese products in the wake of growing hostilities.

Kennards' Self Storage boss Sam Kennard said Australians needs to fight back against the Chinese Communist Party, with the authoritarian regime continuing to turn the screws on more than $20billion of key exports as payback for the federal government speaking out on Beijing's human rights violations and their handling of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Last week Beijing slapped a crippling 200 per cent tariff on Australian wine and on Monday a top Chinese diplomat tweeted an image depicting an Australian holding a knife to the throat of an Afghan child.

'Every Australian business should now be reviewing supply contracts,' the business leader posted to Twitter.

'Change and prefer non-Chinese made products where possible. We have made this decision.'

The Kennards Hire business was first launched in 1947 by Sam's father Walter.

In 1973, Kennards Hire launched Australia's first nationwide self storage company which is now independently owned.

It has the country's largest storage business with a total of 81 locations and earns about $110million a year.

Mr Kennard wants local companies need to show a united front against Beijing's bullying tactics.

'The Chinese Communist Government has proven to be difficult to trust. They've placed tariffs on lobster, wine and barley out of revenge or spite and the risk is, you just don't know who is next,' Mr Kennard told NCA NewsWire.

He admits it may be difficult for many beholden Australian companies to entirely cut Chinese products out of their supply line as 'some feel quite helpless'.

But he is urging both businesses and consumers to find an alternative to Chinese imports if they can.

The Export Council of Australia on Monday had a similar message for Australian businesses.

'Recent official Chinese messaging suggests that our bilateral relationship has now entered a new low,' ECA Chair Dianne Tipping said.

'We encourage exporters to assess the risks much better, and to push harder to realise new opportunities.'

With totalitarian state attempting to isolate Australian producers, the ECA recommends turning to other markets.

'Opportunities abound in the strong emerging economies of India, Indonesia, and Vietnam, in the mature economies of Japan, Korea, the EU and UK, as well as in the Middle East and Latin America,' Ms Tipping said.

'Australian exporters are resilient, agile, and competitive. We are confident they can successfully pivot to new markets.'

In the financial year to 2020, China accounted for 39 percent of all Australian exports, totalling about $150 billion.

Australia imported about $81 billion from Chinese suppliers.

how exactly is this supposed to work when China buys almost half of Australia's exports and supplies about 20% of her imports

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Export 40% less, and live frugally.

(It's not as bad as you think, I doubt those iron orb profile go toward the reinvestment and growth of Australian economy anyway)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QClQzZ0zCE

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I have seen estimates around 10-20k. That is about two blocks/400m to the FSB building.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Apr 22, 2021

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
someone posted a while back about Tiananmen massacre and how the western portrayal of democracy loving students getting gunned down by the PLA was only part of the story and that the labor organizers who made up an even larger proportion of the victims were just swept under the rug.

id love to read more abotu that if anyone has some good resources

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

someone posted a while back about Tiananmen massacre and how the western portrayal of democracy loving students getting gunned down by the PLA was only part of the story and that the labor organizers who made up an even larger proportion of the victims were just swept under the rug.

From what I read most of the workers were allowed to leave but it's been a few years

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1385296105143951361?s=19

I can't believe all those articles about Russia's imminent invasion were wrong.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thanks, the 1b1r builders one is lovely.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

https://archives.cjr.org/behind_the_news/the_myth_of_tiananmen.php

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ty

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1385296105143951361?s=19

I can't believe all those articles about Russia's imminent invasion were wrong.

its almost as if analysts for russia and china suck rear end and are paid to provide evidence for a preconceived narrative

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i have little doubt that the 1989 protests and its organizers were co-opted by western intelligence, those psychos tried to get the CPC to massacre people to gain sympathy and when it didnt work the CIA and MI6 had a plane ready for them to come to america for ivy degrees and think tank jobs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the end to this is so hype

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i have little doubt that the 1989 protests and its organizers were co-opted by western intelligence, those psychos tried to get the CPC to massacre people to gain sympathy and when it didnt work the CIA and MI6 had a plane ready for them to come to america for ivy degrees and think tank jobs

well it looks like the CPC did massacre people, just not the ones everyone thinks they did

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There was not a lot of cover up after June 4th. A lot of death happened outside of Tiananmen, when a group of people tried to barricade the intersection and stop group of army moving in. Also there was various mob activies in 2nd tier cities, I think it was Chongqing IIRC.

It just became more and more of a forbidden topic online in the last 20 years. And the censor technology getting more sophisticated.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

well it looks like the CPC did massacre people, just not the ones everyone thinks they did

hundreds of soldiers are also tallied up in the death toll. the protests cumulated in horrible violence but at no point was any group "massacred"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9oIsZooYA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1385235314348802073?s=19

Seems bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Filipinos should know that a military solution isn't the only way to respond to a bully China in the WPS - Australian businesses have started a BOYCOTT China action and refuse to ever use its products - vowing to turn to other sources as their trade war intensifies

quote:

I noticed that over the years, chinese-government owned car manufacturers are getting inside our country. Please do not buy those, If you do you are supporting the invasion of the West Philippine Sea by funding the CCP. Also boycott huawei and xiaomi and other chinese phones, who knows what they'll do to monitor filipino citizens.

Clearly its a high espionage threat. Every corporation or entity formed in china is mandated by their laws to provide intelligence date for the government.

quote:

China is a loving hypocrite. There are so many mainland Chinese in Australia, Mandarin might as well be the second language there.

quote:

I am talking about China vis-ả-vis Australia. Who is the bigger bully? If you want to resort to whataboutism, then you just have to look toward Tibet that was conquered by China since the 1950s. What about the millions of Muslim Ughyurs that China has thrown into retraining camps at allegedly being used as forced labor in the cotton fields of Xinjiang Province?

Ideally, we should aspire to be like New Zealand, politically neutral. But we can't, our military is too weak, and our economy is underdeveloped. And we're faced with that smug Chinese bully who insists that its fat donged 9-Dash-Yard-Line is right alongside our western shoreline and it takes up all of the West Philippine Sea..

So no, we have to rely on our traditional allies for now, Australia included.

quote:

Here come the wumao fanatics that are traitors to the country. At least Australia is a democracy and even punishes abusers in its ranks.

On the other hand,China silences critics and didn't cooperate with investigation into the China virus.

Not all business should be focused purely only on profits. Businessmen should also have principles and dignity. What China demands is suppression of critics and being told they are right even when they are wrong.

quote:

Use Remove China Apps. Use at your discretion. Will uninstall pesky Chinese apps from your phone. Then find other alternatives that don't originate from China. For example - Zoom can be replaced by Google Teams.

quote:

One reason why I'm not playing genshin impact and mobile legends.

quote:

True. Also League of Legends and Moonton game.

quote:

Actually China is looking for an excuse to invade any country without the US interfering. And if we blow up their boats, the CCP shall use it as a propaganda to arm its whole army against us. What we can do is allow US and its allies to park its aircraft carriers in Manila Bay or something and if possible accompany our fisherman to fish in our own seas.

quote:

Our Filipino-Chinese brethren must choose. They cannot have their cake and eat it too. They are astute businesspeople. Like the Aussie businesses they can source their import requirements from Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, etc. And as plus maybe get better quality products, knowing how shoddy the workmanship is of cheap Made in China products.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whats a remove china app

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

whats a remove china app

☢️

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

whats a remove china app

there an app called "Remove China App" that was developed in India that removes all apps on your China that the developers have tagged/identified as being affiliated with China

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1385364055033012227?s=20

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.reuters.com/article/japan-economy-wages/japan-pms-push-for-higher-minimum-wage-faces-uphill-battle-amid-pandemic-idUSL4N2M62O1

quote:

Suga said last month the government aims to bring Japan’s minimum wage, among the lowest in the Group of Seven (G7) economies, to 1,000 yen ($9.27) an hour from 902 yen “more quickly”. Suga believes the hike would help support coronavirus-hit households, boost competitiveness, and spur inflation, according to government sources.

But smaller firms, which employ seven out of ten workers in Japan, have lobbied to scrap the plans. Some of Suga’s own Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) lawmakers are also pushing back amid concerns they could lose support from business owners in an election year, government and party sources said.

Under Suga’s predecessor Shinzo Abe, Japan’s government raised the minimum wage by 3% for four years until 2020, when it was held largely steady, under an “Abenomics” reflationary policy aimed at boosting growth.

At about $8 per hour, Japan’s current minimum wage is higher than the United States’ $7.3 but ranks below France and Germany’s $12, Britain and Canada’s $10 and South Korea’s $8.6.

Weird how liberal ruling parties are the mercy of small business tyrants everywhere.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

this doesn't make any sense!! The Osman empire had ceased to be when the genocide happened right?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

this doesn't make any sense!! The Osman empire had ceased to be when the genocide happened right?

the historical analysis is as dumb as their assessment of Xinjiang

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Syncopated posted:

genocide was 1915-1917, the empire didn’t dissolve completely until 1922

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Filipinos should know that a military solution isn't the only way to respond to a bully China in the WPS - Australian businesses have started a BOYCOTT China action and refuse to ever use its products - vowing to turn to other sources as their trade war intensifies

Replace the Chinese spyware on your phone with american spyware

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SK's minimum wage being higher than Japan's is surprising

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

SK's minimum wage being higher than Japan's is surprising

both of them being barely higher than the US’s surprised me

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

I think it's because US subsidize low end poor people food, so you are able to feed yourself on corn based poo poo food for cheaper.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

indigi posted:

It makes more sense when you consider the US managed the liberalization of their economies post-ww2

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

genocide was 1915-1917, the empire didn’t dissolve completely until 1922

seems I don't know my history, I thought the young turks started seizing power only after ww1, but apparently it started earlier. Also I didn't know that there was an earlier genocide in the 1890's.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1385502600011804673?s=21

lol

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ugh tankies

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Unironically lol. I'd give a helluva lot to live in a country that actually defeats pandemics and gives a gently caress about its citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol this was basically Bill Maher's show the other day