Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I prefer steakholders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Chas McGill posted:

Lmao that Barca and Real are basically the same.

més que un club

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grimson posted:

best break out your newspeak dictionaries for this one

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1385277517347672065?s=20

the new Super League has been decided.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

the new Super League has been decided.

no get ancelotti off the bench noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bees everywhere posted:

This paragraph was great:

:lmao:

Pretty sure that was a major arc in Food Wars

uXs posted:

Interesting comment in the comments there:

The German system is lauded here, but everybody seems to be forgetting that the Bundesliga is basically the most uncompetitive league there is, with Bayern just winning everything for a decade now.

I mean yeah, it's one of the most financially stable leagues there is, but it's also boring as poo poo and absolutely not the example you want if you're looking for an interesting competition.

Bayern always won a bunch in the good old days, but clubs like Bremen and Stuttgart would also win every now and then. Given how the sport has changed wrt money in the last decade, it's near impossible to go back

poo poo, look at the Dortmund teams from the start of the decade. Bayern couldn't beat em, so Bayern bought all their best players

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Més que un ¡Hala!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm way late on the "Old Firm to the Premier League" thing, but when I first saw it in the wee hours of the morning here in the US I think the actual original source on that was The Sun so I refuse to believe it's anything other than a giant load of poo poo.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rangers/Celtic should simply enter colt teams in the bottom of the English pyramid and earn their EPL places it through promotion.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm way late on the "Old Firm to the Premier League" thing, but when I first saw it in the wee hours of the morning here in the US I think the actual original source on that was The Sun so I refuse to believe it's anything other than a giant load of poo poo.

It’s been talked about for years, hence the;

Cut Out and Keep Guide to Old Firm Joining the EPL posted:

STEP 1: Tabloid publish story based on a vague quote from a vague source.

STEP 2: Every other tabloid runs the story, linking back to the original tabloid.

STEP 3: Generic Cockney Pundit makes ill-informed statement on Generic Sports FM about Celtic and Rangers in order to generate controversy.

STEP 4: Tabloids publish articles based on Generic Cockney Pundit’s comments.

STEP 5: More informed pundit responds to Generic Cockney Pundit on Generic Sports FM.

STEP 6: Tabloids publish articles based on more informed pundit’s response.

STEP 7: Fans share and argue underneath Generic Sport FM video on Twitter, driving up their engagement figures and vindicating their decision to pursue a controversy-first approach.

STEP 8: Tabloids publish articles based on fan arguments underneath Generic Sport FM video.

STEP 9: Tabloid that published original story runs ‘Celtic and Rangers British Super League plans shelved’ article.

STEP 10: Repeat cycle in four months.

From old firm facts. https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/22/how-episode-26-of-celtic-and-rangers-being-linked-with-a-move-to-england-will-play-out/

quote:

Some might say it’s interesting timing for journalists to be writing about another Super League, given how many people have been searching for ‘Super League’ on Google this week.

Etc.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

the escape goat posted:

Was so weird for me when I went to a match at Old Trafford and had to chug my beer on the concourse because I wasn't allowed to drink it in sight of the pitch. No wonder people there pregame so hard.
From the train stop to an Eintracht match in Frankfurt, the crowd follows an uneven trail through a dark forest, a trail that is only illuminated by poorly lit temporary beer kiosks. There, you chug and move down the dark forest trail until you come to another kiosk, and chug again and so on, until you yourself are quite lit, unlike the dark forest from which you eventually emerge.

The unreality of the experience ends as soon as you enter the grounds, unless of course, Frankfurt wins.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the popes toes posted:

From the train stop to an Eintracht match in Frankfurt, the crowd follows an uneven trail through a dark forest, a trail that is only illuminated by poorly lit temporary beer kiosks. There, you chug and move down the dark forest trail until you come to another kiosk, and chug again and so on, until you yourself are quite lit, unlike the dark forest from which you eventually emerge.

The unreality of the experience ends as soon as you enter the grounds, unless of course, Frankfurt wins.

also if you go to the Doctor Flotte there's a barman named Jogi who looks like he does a LOT of acid and will do magic tricks for you

and there's a giant greenhouse full of cactuses

that's my guide to Frankfurt

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I've always been under the impression that Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League is something Celtic and Rangers want and basically nobody else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

It’s also closer than Southampton to seven clubs, geography won’t be an issue with it

I mean the only real problem is the closest EPL ground to Glasgow (Newcastle) is about the same distance as the furthest-away SPL ground (Ross County) but that's just an expense and logistics issue, as has been pointed out they'll be flying everywhere apart from *maybe* Newcastle anyway so the distance doesn't really matter. Bit of a pig for the fans though - I really wouldn't fancy doing Glasgow to London six times a season, let alone Southampton or Brighton.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I've always been under the impression that Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League is something Celtic and Rangers want and basically nobody else.

More the money than the league, and because pub bores need arguments. Supporters of the other clubs are more fans of the idea, though in the great tradition everyone backs scottish football against ‘tinpot farmer wouldn’t beat Bournemouth’ shite.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Add Rangers but not lovely Celtic it would be super lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

I think in the abstract the EPL (and Sky etc) would like the extra TV revenue from two Old Firm matches a season plus at least another dozen or so "big" matches to stick in Super Sunday, but yeah the individual clubs have got no particular incentive to go for it. Half the clubs would see them as even more competition for the 4th Place Trophy, and the other half would see their chances of relegation go up even further.

It is quite a fun thing (in a pub bore kind of way) to think about though - for all their claims to Big Club status, on almost every measure they're somewhere in the chasing pack with Arsenal and Everton. Rangers fans like to make a lot of them having more Official Supporters Clubs overseas than any other nation but that just means there's a lot of Scots living abroad - no kids in Thailand or Rwanda are buying Rangers shirts and trying out the latest Ryan Jack moves on the playground. Celtic do sell out almost every home game... but so do West Ham, in a bigger stadium and at higher ticket prices.

Obviously the massive influx of Sky money - and the better marketing opportunities afforded by being in the EPL - would probably mean they'd settle into challenging-for-top-4 in a couple of seasons, but they'll never have the global reach or Liverpool or Man U or the bottomless owner's pockets of Chelsea and Man City so they'd probably settle into Spurs-style delusions of grandeur.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

vyelkin posted:

Javier Tebas, the head of La Liga, has been having his say.

https://twitter.com/dermotmcorrigan/status/1385222571147333636

tangentially related and not trying to american capitalism it up much, but i think i know where the money is really coming from

https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/status/1385244101042442241

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

the popes toes posted:

This sounded incredibly cool and atmospheric but then I looked up the journey on google maps and it's just a 12 minute walk apparently?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Butterfly Valley posted:

This sounded incredibly cool and atmospheric but then I looked up the journey on google maps and it's just a 12 minute walk apparently?

Google maps is cool and all but the technology hasn't gotten there just yet to accurately calculate the speed of the besoffen Deutscher in their natural habitat.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

plastic paddies would go nuts for celtic merch, imagine an army of ginger loudmouths wearing celtic tops and celtics caps

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

greazeball posted:

plastic paddies would go nuts for celtic merch, imagine an army of ginger loudmouths wearing celtic tops and celtics caps
Let Celtic and Rangers in but the trade-off is that Celtic has to split their home games between Dublin and Boston.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lol at suggesting the old firm would get in the top 4

Also can't see Celtic or the fans going for an English league

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

tbh i've never met an Irish Celtic fan, ever

plenty of Aston Villa for some reason and Glendenning supports Sunderland as part of his commitment to the bit, but everyone else has better things to do

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh i've never met an Irish Celtic fan, ever

plenty of Aston Villa for some reason and Glendenning supports Sunderland as part of his commitment to the bit, but everyone else has better things to do
have you only met like 2 irish people

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

have you only met like 2 irish people

yes

i only need my hedges trimming once every few weeks

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

greazeball posted:

I guess the PL (or SuPL) money would be big enough to make up for the lack of European football for the Old Firm? Because there's no chance of them qualifying in a combined league, no matter how deluded their fans are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jeezus :stare:

I knew that SPL money was bad but I didn't know it was that bad

I'm pretty sure the average Major League Soccer team brings in more TV money than that and their national TV deal still isn't even nine figures.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 22, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

Jeezus :stare:

I knew that SPL money was bad but I didn't know it was that bad

Don't the Old Firm get to have their own special snowflake TV deal which sucks all the money out of the rest of the league?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rangers and Celtic would be relegated the first year they were in the PL/whatever super league

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

When Aberdeen played Burnley in the Europa league a few years ago, iirc one of their defenders was worth more than our whole team.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Rangers and Celtic would be relegated the first year they were in the PL/whatever super league

should def let them in then to watch their hopes immediately get demolished

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Also in the championship

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Seeing all the superleague teams in the prem get docked points and battling it out with Celtic and Rangers for relegation would be one of the best things to happen in football

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1385578991046770690

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't the Old Firm get to have their own special snowflake TV deal which sucks all the money out of the rest of the league?

No. Although Rangers manage the rights to the SPFL broadcast in India

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Rich oligarchs: well known for just wanting to be liked, and not for doing whatever they think will be in their personal financial interest.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

https://archive.ph/LKvCQ

quote:

In a corporate statement rare for its contrition and self-criticism, JPMorgan admitted it had been a mistake to finance the proposal without considering its effects on others.
“We clearly misjudged how this deal would be viewed by the wider football community and how it might impact them in the future,” a company spokesman said. “We will learn from this.”

lol why even bother tbh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"We will learn from this [how to do it more profitably next time]"

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

There's a good documentary in this ESL debacle waiting to be made. Hell, a movie. G Neville can play himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TotalHell posted:

Rich oligarchs: well known for just wanting to be liked, and not for doing whatever they think will be in their personal financial interest.

if you're already rich and your aim is just making more money, you don't go in to sports