Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Is that a Joke Jake literally has a hundred percent KO rate. Floyd has a fifty percent chance to knockout Jake, but Jake has a 100% chance of taking out floyd, add that to his 100% win rate. When you do the math Jake has a 200% chance of winning

too bad its against logan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

you don't say?

I missed your irony in the first post. Lo siento.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Is that a Joke Jake literally has a hundred percent KO rate. Floyd has a fifty percent chance to knockout Jake, but Jake has a 100% chance of taking out floyd, add that to his 100% win rate. When you do the math Jake has a 200% chance of winning

the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for Floyd

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

why not just make it a 190 catchweight? or are they giving floyd some concessions since he’s fighting two weight classes below his opponent

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
TIL you people still can't tell Jake from Logan :cmon:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Declan MacManus posted:

why not just make it a 190 catchweight? or are they giving floyd some concessions since he’s fighting two weight classes below his opponent

Paul is the one getting the concession by making sure the GOAT can only weigh 160. His weight at 190 is irrelevant.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this, er, fight is really baffling to me because i don't really know how it can possibly be interesting or entertaining. i think this will be the only fight i'll have seen where the possibility of a legitimate win for one fighter is literally zero. that doesn't necessarily preclude the event from being entertaining or interesting, but i can't figure out exactly how it will be entertaining or interesting.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

floyd is going to starch him. come on guys lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i wonder if logan will last longer than the tiny child floyd last struck

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Also it's on Showtime because apparently Al Haymon wants to leverage this to get a better TV deal from either Showtime and/or FOX because they are expiring at the end of the year. So again, :rip: to Magnus having preordered it for $25. I'm sure Fanmio appreciates his service.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Paul is the one getting the concession by making sure the GOAT can only weigh 160. His weight at 190 is irrelevant.

i dunno that there's a healthy way for mayweather to put on 30 pounds of lean bodyweight in 2 months(i guess maybe if he'd been doing a strength program and juicing since december it could happen??); i can't imagine him showing up at 190 (or even 175) for the first time in his career to fight a youtuber

it doesn't really matter though, mayweather is going to paste him even if logan paul weighs in at 225 on the day of the fight, it's just a matter of whether or not he wants to risk breaking a hand going for the knockout

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here’s how Floyd can still Win

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Watch Floyd show up fat like Askren and take a dive for a half a billion dollar pay day.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Watch Floyd show up fat like Askren and take a dive for a half a billion dollar pay day.

What is a lot of money to Ben Askren might not be a lot of money to Floyd Mayweather. Also Mayweather can probably knock his opponent out with about as much effort as it took Ben to fall over.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. Nice! posted:

Paul is the one getting the concussion

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

gently caress, yeah I was thinking about that when I saw this news. I hope its not super hard to get a refund.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gaius Marius posted:

If I pay someone half a mil to make a meal I expect them to make me something edible even if they're only a pastry chef.

If I pay someone half a mil to weed my garden I expect I won't see dandelions there tomorrow even if they're a tennis instructor

If I pay a wrestler half a mil to fight a youtube, I expect them to not go down one minute in the first round.

You're thinking he got paid to fight and not to go down and increase Paul's ppv money in the next fight. Only question is if Jake Paul knows it and thinks he's actually a boxer or not.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I kind of feel bad for Logan on a certain level because if Antonio Brown hadn't (for the moment) gotten his poo poo together they probably wouldve gone ahead with the fight and he would get a somewhat similar payday with much less of a chance of getting abjectly humiliated.
Yes I am willing to relitigate that discussion we had earlier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

I kind of feel bad for Logan on a certain level

lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

I kind of feel bad for Logan

Im always saying this

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
When my fellow Boxing 2019: Battle of the Brands thread posters mock multi-millionaire social media influencers

EDIT: ^^^^ Ah I just got that. I'm always feeling for you my friend.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 24, 2021

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
updated thread date & title to be more accurate

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wow can’t believe ninth just got loving shown up like this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mekchu posted:

booo

boooooooo

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's okay just gives me incentive to actually finish my write up.

Honestly it's a lot easier to write these when I'm stuck in an office and need things to do to kill eight hours. Working from home makes it too easy to play PS5 instead.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Congrats to Berlanga, but I was hoping he would tap to the RNC early into the fight, purely for chaos purposes

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mekchu posted:

:sigh:

Wilder is MIA, and Usyk/Joyce seems stalled by Usyk's camp (although who really knows). Ruiz is facing Arreola (:lol:). My favorite heavyweight division is just waiting on Fury-Joshua, not much action outside of that. Wallin-Whyte would be fun to see.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Heavyweight has some interesting fights coming up: Joseph Parker vs Dereck Chisora is next week, and Filip Hrgovic vs Michael Hunter and Adam Kownacki vs Robert Helenius 2 are coming up in the summer.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's okay just gives me incentive to actually finish my write up.

Honestly it's a lot easier to write these when I'm stuck in an office and need things to do to kill eight hours. Working from home makes it too easy to play PS5 instead.

By all means make a new thread. I missed that it was in the works. My bad.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mekchu posted:

Just think of how good the thread is going to be 2 years in the making

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Heavyweight has some interesting fights coming up: Joseph Parker vs Dereck Chisora is next week, and Filip Hrgovic vs Michael Hunter and Adam Kownacki vs Robert Helenius 2 are coming up in the summer.

I hadn't realized that Parker-Chisora was so soon. Parker has little T. Rex arms but throws with such vicious conviction that I have trouble reading him.

Helenius is huge but at his age I don't see too much coming from him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Don't feel bad for updating the date on an almost 3 year old thread title lol.

Also while I'm here, the discord server I linked to in the OP is dead and most of us now hang out on another server to watch live fights. It's not my server and a bunch of people use it for things that aren't boxing so I won't link it here, but if you'd like to join just shoot me a PM either here or on discord theninthlayer#4960 with your SA name.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

LLCoolJD posted:

I hadn't realized that Parker-Chisora was so soon. Parker has little T. Rex arms but throws with such vicious conviction that I have trouble reading him.

Helenius is huge but at his age I don't see too much coming from him.

Parker and the Helenius/Kownacki winner are nothing but fringe top 10/divisional gatekeeper level, but the fights themselves should be good.

I'm actually looking forward to Hrgovic vs Hunter. Hunter is a small heavyweight but he's a talented boxer with decent power who went the distance with Oleksandr Usyk at cruiser and had a draw with Alexander Povetkin. If Hrgovic isn't legit, Hunter will dominate him.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 26, 2021

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hearing news suggesting the Fury Joshua deal will cover one fight only. Good news for Wilder?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hearing news suggesting the Fury Joshua deal will cover one fight only. Good news for Wilder?

Probably. If true it suggests to me that PBC could have gummed it up in arbitration so they're going to promise him the winner. In that case I'm also assuming he would take an interim fight against the winner of Kownacki-Helenius 2 and would beat whoever that is.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Ninth Layer posted:

Don't feel bad for updating the date on an almost 3 year old thread title lol.

Also while I'm here, the discord server I linked to in the OP is dead and most of us now hang out on another server to watch live fights. It's not my server and a bunch of people use it for things that aren't boxing so I won't link it here, but if you'd like to join just shoot me a PM either here or on discord theninthlayer#4960 with your SA name.

I'll take you up on this. The MMA/Grappling discord has some punchsports discussion but its few and far between.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Fury should take his $75 million and retire from the ring to promote up-and-coming fighters, appear at WWE, etc. to protect his brain and use that big personality he's got.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

retired from boxing to pursue his true passion, hating gay people

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

retired from boxing to pursue his true passion, hating gay people

Hey lets be fair here, hating gay people isn’t all that Fury is about. He also hates women and Jewish people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jump King posted:

Hey lets be fair here, hating gay people isn’t all that Fury is about. He also hates women and Jewish people.

I wish I could say this is just him being dumb but the old people on the Romani side of my family are just as bad.