Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Squadron 404 looking great for that Q3 2020 beta.
Answer the fuckin call 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 backers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyy-frH1-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Dwesa posted:

I am sure he believes in "10 year plan" now.

quote:

Quote: “Star Citizen will probably remain in alpha for all of 2022 as well”

Correct. 2021 will see implementation of at least three new gameplay in Tier Zero, among many others features (see RSI roadmap), core tech (Icache +Server meshing) required to create robust enough persistence, servers stability, allowing more events like Xenothreat or new mode like TOW (Theater Of War).

For instance mining gameplay took a year to switch from ‘Tiers 0’ to current multiple mining options.
Which mean than by mid 2022, SC will have more depth, more gameplay options… more of everything.

Those never joining anything flagged as alpha or crowdfunded won’t join till alpha switched to at least beta.
This constant flow of new gameplay opportunities for current backers will attract also new backers.
It happened in the past with just concept ships… so implementing gameplay of those ships will do build very positive momentum for past and new backers.

We are talking about a pool of potentially millions of new backers happy to join for less than a Triple-A cost.

At the same time, Publishers are more than ever hard at work doing all type of remaster of their older games. Whatever project looking a bit ambitious or different like Anthem or Gaïa are stopped, they do concentrate on soulless franchise + skins micro-transactions.

EVE, ED, NMS were not competitors to SC in 2020, because they do offer different experience not because SC is superior. Still the gap keep progressing between what others space games do offer vs SC.
The project keep aggregating tech and features that many players are looking for: Crusader + 3D clouds for instance, not in 4 years but in few quarters.
Not even talking about players outpost construction + fauna + new system that latest core tech scheduled implementation in 2021 will allow in 2022, again not in 4 years.

Looking at Valheim selling 4 millions copies (17$ each) in a matter of weeks do indicate players are looking to test new games that are not even remotely ambitious… So unless a NEO (Near-Earth object) hit our planet in the next upcoming 8 quarters, SC future is more than bright.

Anthem: Ambitious and promising, flew too close to the sun and was killed in it's cradle by the cabal of evil publishers
Valheim: Lazy, uninspired trash for mainstream audiences that don't know any better

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
If the chapters were all around 70-80% on that chart, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume Covid hosed the timing and it's a "normal" 2020 delay, like many other games have had

But ~30% or so for the vast majority of chapters, and 5 still at 0%? Squadron 404 is certainly a prophetic nickname :v:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ErrEff posted:

Anthem: Ambitious and promising, flew too close to the sun and was killed in it's cradle by the cabal of evil publishers
Valheim: Lazy, uninspired trash for mainstream audiences that don't know any better

Didn't expect to see someone going to bat for Anthem. As someone who worked indirectly on Anthem (and did actually play through all the content) there wasn't a whole lot there.
There was a glimmer of a fun game visible if they hadn't hosed up the entire looting part of their looter shooter, but even the best case there it would've still been a fairly unimaginative game, just well-executed.

Combine that with the entirely pointless hub town, the flight mechanic that didn't really fit in properly, and the enormous development time for the small amount of content...
The fact that it released at all was a mistake. Patrick Soderlund should have cancelled it in 2017.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1385217108842270730

So after May 19th, there is literally no point anymore to Star Citizen existing. They've been beaten to the punch on every single promised feature by Elite Dangerous with this new expansion.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I said come in! posted:

So after May 19th, there is literally no point anymore to Star Citizen existing. They've been beaten to the punch on every single promised feature by Elite Dangerous with this new expansion.

Does Elite have a Mess Hall?

Do the space-suits suck off their wearers?

Do the ships seamlessly clip through one another?

No?

Checkmate.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I mean in the time they made tier 0 of one system indie companies made whole games, there never was any real reason. I'll bet another X Game will happen before anything got to beta

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

bUt cAn yOu WaLk iNsIdE yOuR sHiP?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

marumaru posted:

without falling out?

(callback to the release thread :smuggo:)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
It seems like it's been a long time since anyone talked about pipelines and how once they were in place you'd see everything rapidly come online.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Pipelines are so 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Ship interiors.

Fidelity.

gently caress you fudster.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cmdrk posted:

It seems like it's been a long time since anyone talked about pipelines and how once they were in place you'd see everything rapidly come online.

Chris is no longer promising anything or giving timelines, it'll be ready when it's done.

But first it'll be tier 0, so don't expect it to be complete.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Real talk: Do you guys think SQ42 ever releases? And, if so, what that release looks like?

I honestly don't think it will. I think the best we can hope for is a 1/4 finished leaked dev build you have to compile yourself.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

ErrEff posted:

Still the gap keep progressing between what others space games do offer vs SC.
Well, it's true, other games were released years ago and have years of additional content added since release. SC is hopelessly behind.

Trillhouse posted:

Real talk: Do you guys think SQ42 ever releases? And, if so, what that release looks like?
I think it will eventually release, years from now, it will be some mediocre buggy short experience that won't sell and shortly after CIG will announce layoffs and will be acquired by some chinese company that will continue to sell jpgs for SC while it will sink deeper and deeper into obscurity until one day, without warning, it will all vanish.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

I honestly don't think it will. I think the best we can hope for is a 1/4 finished leaked dev build you have to compile yourself.

I'm in the "lol nope they will never voluntarily release" camp, but if it does, it'll basically be the Anthem of single player space shooty; probably looks nice initially, but lol no content as they spent all the time refactoring the same mess hall scene, and not actually making missions to completion

| Chapter 02 | Squadron 42 | [0%]

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

marumaru posted:

You already can, if you have a VR Headset - the Krait Mk-2 has a really nice, $10,000 coffee machine in the back, where you can't see it from the seat....

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dwesa posted:

I think it will eventually release, years from now, it will be some mediocre buggy short experience that won't sell and shortly after CIG will announce layoffs and will be acquired by some chinese company that will continue to sell jpgs for SC while it will sink deeper and deeper into obscurity until one day, without warning, it will all vanish.
This is my guess - if it gets released it'll nearly coincide with the death knell of the company. They won't be compelled to finish S42 with any urgency until their whales buying ships dries up, so it'll be rushed to market in a desperate attempt to make enough money to keep them going, which it won't. Kind of the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning story except that game was actually pretty decent.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/45w2bjwd9nu61/DASH_720.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI2NesSK4hU

(((music swells triumphantly as every part of the game fails in some way)))

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
store citizem: what a mess (hall scene)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Dwesa posted:

:hmmyes:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trillhouse posted:

I'm still thinking they'll just eventually post a YouTube of the cinematics and call it a day.

They love movies... not gameplay.

Sq44: the YouTube series

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI2NesSK4hU

(((music swells triumphantly as every part of the game fails in some way)))

It never ceases to be amazing, in a world where simulators like DCS exist, that they can call this a simulation of any sort when when the ships move like they are in a 3D model editor like Max or Maya and the user is playing with the axis rotators and imagining how cool this model will look in their movie/game.

Nearly a decade of development of their space game and the space ships are still like an afterthought in the video game. :confuoot:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Trillhouse posted:

I think some day there'll be a desperate scramble to slap something playable together and call it Squadron 42, just to get it out the door before the lights go off. It'll be bad space missions strung together with bad cutscenes that go on way too long because they're jamming as much of Chris's awful script and interminable mocap in as they can manage, and a lot of jankiness.

I don't think they're at the desperate scramble stage yet, but who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if literally no one at CIG has even a vague guess about what's been done, what needs to be done, how much time they need, or how much time they have left. After all, it's the most open development ever, so when nobody outside can tell how close to 'finished' things are, it can only mean that nobody inside can tell, either.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Not that CIG will ever get to the actual realism of DCS, there are tons of games out there that aren't big names that also have movement that looks like it wasn't phoned in.

CR: Perfectionist. :trustme:

But hey, look at the polygons in those models. I guess that's important. And I guess you can just take screenshots and make captions about how awesome it was.

Never show Star Citizen in motion. Stick to the jpegs guys and girls. It will help with the lie.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sir. Mix-a-lot has logged on.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

SQ42 will eventual release as a Visual Novel Dating Sim

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I think they’ll scrape together what they can of the first episode to release- call it episode 1 A or something.

(That’s if they don’t announce an engine change)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

I'm still thinking they'll just eventually post a YouTube of the cinematics and call it a day.

They love movies... not gameplay.

Sq44: the YouTube series

Yeah, I can see them trying to spin Sq404 as the "Star Citizen Cinematic Universe" as a series of videos and use it as the basis for a kickstarter and new company to continue the grift.

Star Citizen Adventures Machinima (SCAM) will combine cinema and gameplay in the first AAAA "Choose your own adventure" title aimed at 40+yo game dads with Mark Hamil, Gary Oldman, Sandi Gardiner and John Rhys-Davies letting you live out your fantasy commanding the imperial fleet against the Kilrathi Vanduul.

The PU will be repackaged as Tour The 'Verse, where you can fly to iconic locations and take screenshots or ride a train.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

akkristor posted:

SQ42 will eventual release as a Visual Novel Dating Sim

From what I understand about the gameplay mechanics, it’s kind of similar to an idle type cell phone game right now. So perhaps that’s going to be its ultimate destination.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I’m pretty sure they could scrap the entire walking/mess hall simulator pieces of SQ42, string several arena commandos scenarios together with the acted cutscenes and call it a day. That could be their entire plan B if funding starts drying up.

So yeah, I believe SQ56 will come out one way or another.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

cmdrk posted:

The PU will be repackaged as Tour The 'Verse, where you can fly to iconic locations and take screenshots or ride a train.

I could actually see them doing this...

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Trilobite posted:

I think some day there'll be a desperate scramble to slap something playable together and call it Squadron 42, just to get it out the door before the lights go off. It'll be bad space missions strung together with bad cutscenes that go on way too long because they're jamming as much of Chris's awful script and interminable mocap in as they can manage, and a lot of jankiness.

I don't think they're at the desperate scramble stage yet, but who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if literally no one at CIG has even a vague guess about what's been done, what needs to be done, how much time they need, or how much time they have left. After all, it's the most open development ever, so when nobody outside can tell how close to 'finished' things are, it can only mean that nobody inside can tell, either.

Remember Duke Nukem Forever?

Like that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would think that if sq42 ever got a release, a week later Roberts would have a new kickstarter going with the premise this time he'll really be able to make the game of his dreams.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He'll pull a Richard Garriott with SotA where one day someone notices he's no longer listed as the CEO of the company and when questioned he'll insist he never really was the CEO but he's still heavily involved with the project. Then a year later he'll sell the company off to some super fan for peanuts, the player base will continue to dwindle as they never actually improve the game but just keep adding cash shop items for purchase.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I think they’ll scrape together what they can of the first episode to release- call it episode 1 A or something.

(That’s if they don’t announce an engine change)

yeah for some reason i just cannot imagine them releasing it in one piece. more like
“Star Citizen Stories - Squadron 42 - Episode 1 - Prelude - Act Zero - The Morrow Tour“

edit: no wait lets make that:

“Star Citizen Stories: Bishops Return, Episode 1: Squadron 42 - The Morrow Tour Prelude: The Mess Hall“

“Company of Brothers - the Horrors of war“ (as nice heroic subtitle)

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 22, 2021

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

It never ceases to be amazing, in a world where simulators like DCS exist, that they can call this a simulation of any sort when when the ships move like they are in a 3D model editor like Max or Maya and the user is playing with the axis rotators and imagining how cool this model will look in their movie/game.

Nearly a decade of development of their space game and the space ships are still like an afterthought in the video game. :confuoot:

I'm calling FUD on this one you old rust bucket - have you seen the latest NASA vid of Ingenuity on Mars, it moves in a totally no clip way so what I'm saying is, Chris Roberts is way ahead of science on this one.

Also, Ingenuity's chief pilot is called Håvard Fjær Grip, and if that's not the name of someone who should be wearing an eyepatch and four jackets while t-posing on a desk on Hurston, I don't know what is.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Then a year later he'll sell the company off to some super fan for peanuts

Ben42, answer the call!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

cmdrk posted:

It tuned out that a contractor working on the pipelines used copper in them - as well all know, Star Citizen is so advance it's only weakness is copper!

Don't worry though, Ben is investigating how this happened and Chris is personal remaking them, it'll be done in years not decades.