Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This game is VERY much tech 1.5 overall

Primarily you have base line mechs with a smattering of star league technology like the lb-x and uac autocannons etc, but you really lack access to the double heatsinks that make a lot of that shine.

they also really changed the heat scale for the game which probably works better for a computer based mech game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Out of the box, there's only a tiny handful of actual Star League era things you can get, and they're rewards for things much later in the campaign, and bringing it up at all is technically kinda-sorta spoilers, but the patch notes made a big deal about "you can get this poo poo outside of these one-time events, so losing them is no longer a crushing blow." The expansions added in Ultra and LBX autocannons, pulse lasers, and probably a bunch of other poo poo I'm omitting. Hell, I think even the fact that you can just outright buy arm mods and the like instead of them being incredibly rare spawns in missions is a patch thing, because I had a bastard of a time outfitting my Grasshopper punchbot back in the day.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Arm mods have always been purchasable, the trick is identifying which planets sell the good ones (IIRC it's rich mining planets but I could be misremembering).

I have to prioritize the 0 tonnage ones for the Spider, but having a Spider that punches like a 75 tonner and does the same stability damage as an AC/20++ is funny as hell.

If I find any of the good one-ton actuators (the ones you basically need the Black Market to get reliably) they're going straight into the Dragon. :getin:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 16, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PoptartsNinja posted:

but having a Spider that punches like a 75 tonner and does the same stability damage as an AC/20++ is funny as hell.
They made an entire anime about it!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Restoration Campaign – Episode 7: Liberation: Panzyr

Training Results
Five Aces: +3 Gunnery (Gunnery 8)
Behemoth: +2 Gunnery (Gunnery 8)
Glitch: +1 Gunnery (Gunnery 9)

Hey, Darius. The stores here have a +Stability Damage Snub-Nose PPC!
Whatever.
Fine, I’m buying it.

Mission 35: Dead or Alive (Assassination, No Commentary)

Rewards: 70,875 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 ARC-2R Archer parts (‘Mech complete), 1 FLE-4 Flea part (‘Mech Complete), 1 RFL-3N Rifleman part, 1 SHD-2D Shadow Hawk part

Mission 36: Clean out the Mercs (Battle, No Commentary)

Rewards: 288,750 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 DV-6M Dervish part (‘Mech complete), 2 RFL-4D Rifleman parts, 1 ASN-21 Assassin part

Mission 37: Distraction (Battle, No Commentary)

Rewards: 211,750 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 COM-2D Commando part (‘Mech complete), 2 JVN-10A Javelin parts (‘Mech complete), 1 LCT-1E Locust part, 1 WLF-1 Wolfhound part, 1 LCT-1M Locust part

I am somewhat underwhelmed by the mission selection here.
Wait, does that mean—?
Yup. Off to Panzyr!
Final—
But first, we’re selling excess junk.

Fire Sale Results
29 Jump Jets – 89,088 c-bills
5 AC/10s – 71,780 c-bills
9 Large Lasers – 129,024 c-bills
4 LRM-10s – 61,440 c-bills
3 LRM-15s – 67,584 c-bills
38 Medium Lasers – 233,472 c-bills
8 AC/5s – 81,920 c-bills
3 SRM-2s – 6,144 c-bills
5 SRM-4s – 30,720 c-bills
8 PPCs – 147,456 c-bills
6 Small Lasers – 12,288 c-bills
Total – 930,916 c-bills

Periodically sell any good weapons you have more than 20 of, and all of your trash autocannons and SRM-2s. It’s worth it.
Who are you talking to?
Oh, hey!

This will come in handy!

:getin:

Mechbay’s done!
Good work. Have your teams start shoring up the Argo’s structure.

Yang, get the Black Knight out of storage!
Gonna make me turn it into a pirate monstrosity, boss?
Dunno yet. Maybe. I want it on deck just in case.

With the aid of House Decimis's ground support facilities, Ms. Meyer will carry your lance through Panzyr's orbital debris field and drop you on the surface.
Tell us more about this debris field, Lord Madeira.
It's a holdover from the Amaris Civil War. There was a great battle in orbit over Panzyr, and most of the wreckage is still there in the form of a dense field of particulate material.
Navigating the field unassisted would be a formidable task. Thankfully, we'll have the spaceport's control center on our side; it'll be able to guide us in, and to send tugs to assist us if necessary.
Mm. Strike one.
You feeling okay with this, Sumire?
Oh, yeah, Commander. No sweat. With the kind of navigation support I'll be getting from ground control? I could take us through the field with my eyes closed.
Strike two.
Let's keep going. What happens after we're on the surface?
Lady Arano wants your lance behind enemy lines—while she leads from the front, you will harass the Directorate's supply train and target valuable military hardware. She already has a target list drawn up for you.
Hold that thought, Lord Madeira. Commander, I'm getting a tight-beam communication from the planet's surface. It's Lady Arano, and it looks urgent.
Aaaand strike three. gently caress.
I'm putting it on-screen now.

With the support of House Decimis, we're making our final push against the Directorate's last major stronghold. Our forces are fully committed to the attack, and we're pushing them back... but the Directorate just seized control of Panzyr's only remaining spaceport.
With it, they'll be able to call down reinforcements at will.
I need someone to take the spaceport's control center away from them. Five Aces, that someone is going to have to be you.
This means that Ms. Meyer will need to carry you through the debris field unassisted. I hope that her skills are up to the task.
Well. This day just got more interesting.
Stop tempting fate.
I'm afraid there's more. Alexander, I've just received a message from Lady Centrella. There's been a major incident on Perdition.
It looks like a terrorist action—a chemical attack against the port city Of Harlow's Landing. Initial casualty reports suggest some eleven thousand dead.
Eleven thousand civilian deaths. This is a damned atrocity.
My sentiments exactly. How have the Taurians responded?
In predictable fashion. Protector Calderon is claiming that the attack was an act of Davion aggression, in violation of the Ares Conventions. He's already calling it "the Perdition Massacre."
For their part, the Davions have denied all knowledge of the attack.
Their denials will fall on deaf ears. Calderon wont believe anything that Hanse Davion has to say.
This is going to accelerate our timetable—we need to retake your throne before this situation gets any worse. If a war was to erupt between the Federation and the Concordat, it could easily spill into the Reach, and we can't afford that kind of chaos.
I can't say I like the idea of a couple of superpowers inserting themselves into our campaign.
Then we'd better push forward before that happens. I want you to proceed with the drop.
And Five Aces—I'm expecting this deployment to be a difficult one. Bring your best, and may the gods grant you victory... we will all be counting on your success.
You heard the lady, Johnny. Best get to it.
Meyer, I'm gonna go ahead and trust that you've got this. Do me a solid and try not to scrape the Leopard's paint on your way down.
Yeah, XO... I'll do my best.

Mission 38: Liberation: Panzyr (Story, Commentary)

Rewards: 1,728,000 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 CN9-AL Centurion parts (‘Mech complete), 1 DRG-1N part, 1 HBK-4G part (‘Mech complete)

And with his support, you gain territory, soldiers, and a bolstered supply chain. Not a bad deal for you, Lady Arano.
Or for House Decimis. The Directorate took a scorched-earth approach to Panzyr's farmland. Without our ongoing support, the people here would starve.
I am not my uncle, Darius. The Restoration gives as much as it takes.
It isn't like you have much choice. Letting them starve would be terrible PR.
From a strictly pragmatic point of view, that's true. But I would help these people whether anyone was watching or not.
This is what I'm fighting for, Five Aces—pragmatism be damned.
Just making sure you still believe it.
It's a victory, to be sure. But we're still a long way from Coromodir, and Director Espinosa has only just begun to marshal his forces.
Things are going to get a lot more difficult as we push forward, toward Smithon. The Directorate's military capabilities appear to be way out of line with our initial estimates... somehow, they've gained access to weapons and BattleMechs that are totally foreign to the Aurigan Reach.
Yes, elite fighting machines like the Dragon.
Where do you think all this hardware is coming from?
Kurita surplus warehouse #44?
We don't know. House Espinosa has always had contacts in the Inner Sphere... Lady Victoria's personal BattleMech is a prototype model that's almost impossible to find outside the Draconis Combine. But this radical new military buildup is something else entirely.
Wherever these weapons are coming from, it's a recent development—and a troubling one.
Hey, Lord Madeira... I'm, uh, sorry to interrupt... but there's something here that you may want to see. Actually, you may all want to see this.
I've found something... strange... on the Argo's nav computer.
Is there anything on this ship that isn't strange?
Probably not. But this is... you know. Stranger than the norm.
It looks like an encrypted data archive on our secondary storage drive. That's just my best guess, mind you... Star League-era encryption software isn't really my area of expertise.
My father spent years trying to figure out how to get the Argo back to Aurigan space in one piece. He was obsessed with this ship—he felt that it was important somehow. And now... this.
I want that archive opened, Dr. Murad. I need to know what's inside.
With all due respect, Lady Arano, whatever's on that drive was sealed away for a reason.
I've heard enough stories about LosTech treasure hunting to know that it's a bad idea. so why don't we just leave well enough alone?
Because this archive could contain something of value. And because, as I previously mentioned, I have a personal connection with this ship.
I believe that this discovery is meant to lead us somewhere, and I intend to follow it.
It's a Star League—era data archive. Of course we should try and open it.
drat right we should. You don't just leave money on the table—anyone could tell you that.
Thankfully, we can follow this lead and pursue our campaign against the Directorate at the same time. The liberation of House Karosas on Smithon is already the Restoration's next objective, and Lord Simon Karosas was High Lord Tamati's chief technologist.
Securing the help we need will cost us nothing that we weren't already planning to pay.
Perhaps this is all just a coincidence, Ms. Meyer... but I cannot help seeing the hand of fate at work here.
Mastiff taught me to pay heed to my intuition, and that is what I intend to do.
Tell me more about Lord Karosas.
He's a hard man who doesn't suffer fools gladly. That said, he's also quite brilliant—a noble with the mind of a scholar.
His adult children, Otto and Lina, were much the same. Difficult at times, to be sure, but fierce allies to House Arano.
Well, that’s one death flag set.
Why do you think this Lord Karosas will be able to open our archive?
Because he knows LosTech better than anyone in the Reach. In the days of my father's reign, whenever scraps of forgotten technology were discovered in the Reach, they'd be taken to Smithon for cataloging and study.
If there are answers to be found, we'll find them with him.
That's the plan, then. After we liberate Smithon, we'll have an audience with Lord Karosas.
Yes, Five Aces. And shortly thereafter, we will see if my father's intuition about the Argo was justified.
As before, I will contact you when we're ready to move on Smithon. For now, I'll take my leave of you... I have nobles to placate and an army to rally. And you have your own contracts to pursue, I'm sure.

Lady Arano's people scoured the spaceport and found a jackpot, Commander. Decommissioned Griffins. Lots of them. They'll never get them working with the repair facilities they've got, but between my team and the Argo's Mech Bay, I think we might. You can find them in the shop here on Panzyr.
We’ve got two already, and they want us to buy them.
Even at a 10% discount, Kamea can fund her campaign without fleecing us. Pass.

We’ll buy these, though!

And this’ll make a nice backup, unless we instantly trip over something even better next mission.

:jerkbag:

Mission 39: Escaping Spy (Assassination, Commentary)

Rewards: 332,937 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 CTF-0X Cataphract parts (‘Mech Completed), 1 PXH-1B Phoenix Hawk part, 1 CN9-A Centurion part, 1 RFL-4D Rifleman part (‘Mech Completed)

Training Results
Dekker: +1 piloting (Piloting 10) +3 Hit Defense, +6 Melee Hit Defense

The Cataphract 0X — much like the lighter Raven — is an experimental model designed to carry a new generation of electronic warfare gear. Though less well-armed than other Cataphract variants, it's able to hold its own on the battlefield.
Well. Now I have a really hard choice to make.
Which I am going to defer.

Mission 40: Settling a Grudge (Battle, No Commentary)

Rewards: 246,120 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 GRF-1N Griffin part, 1 SDR-5V Spider part, 1 WLF-1 Wolfhound part (‘Mech completed), 1 JVN-10A Javelin part, 1 JVN-10N Javelin part, 1 LCT-1M Locust part,

Mission 41: Repossession (Ambush Convoy, Commentary)

Rewards: 283,937 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 BJ-1DB Blackjack part, 1 SHD-2H Shadow Hawk part, 1 SDR-5V Spider part (‘Mech complete)

Nice, a backup Spider for Dekker.
Now, this might just be the head injury talking, but: Yang!
What now?
Dump the Hunchback you just spent a week tweaking into storage, I want that AC/20!
… I’m not even going to argue.

Set a course for Mechdur! I want to see if my old pirate buddies want to give us access to the black market.
The what now?!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I cannot imagine how the AI can possibly deal with that Cataphract. Just blitz towards it?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey PTN, I know this is LP is a continuation of an older one that was lost for technical reasons, but would it be possible to explain the new things that show up for those of us who might have missed the boat the first time? Things like how this ECM actually works or what actually makes this mech good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was saving most of those for when they become useful. Right now I'm just spinning plates because our core team is solid, but we're going to be outgrowing the Griffin relatively quickly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That stupid event gave me a srm2+++ lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think you were having trouble with that headshot because the SLDF Incoming mod gives the SLDF mechs protection against headshots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's very possible! I did forget that was a feature.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

F for the mech that you had to blow to bits rather than kidnap

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I like how you write the entire support staff as being "I guess this is happening now :sigh:" about the things you have them do.

On the subject of the crap autocannons, I know that in base tabletop, the AC/2 and AC/5 did not nearly justify how bulky and heavy they were with their damage, but I thought the AC/5 is at least passable here, given that it got its damage boosted to being 9 using the same damage scaling as everything that's not a missile, and I even saw it put forth that while in tabletop, the jump from AC/5 to AC/10 was super worth it because it's a 100% damage boost, it's not as huge here because it's a 33% damage boost that gives up a big chunk of range and weight (as previously covered, the damage basically went from 2/5/10/20 to 5/9/12/20).

Given that you said "sell all AC/5s" I think it's safe to say you do not agree with this assessment. :v:

Also I will add in thinking that it's funny that you spent a million bucks and all you got out of it was Glitch is in high spirits, Medusa is now a criminal, and a missile system of dubious value.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
AC/2, AC/5, and AC/10 are all crap (the AC/2 especially, the AC/5 and AC/10 are fine until you can upgrade away from them). I sometimes hold on to AC/10+++ because they're headcappers and some flashpoint missions have weight restrictions that preclude bringing bigger 'Mechs.

However the LB 5-X and Ultra AC/5 are both extremely good for their tonnage and well worth using. The LB 2-X is surprisingly solid, and the Ultra AC/20 is great. The big loser for the specialty autocannons are the Class 10 models (and even then the LB 10-X is still pretty ok, it's just too heavy to comfortably boat).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Comstar spy continues to worry about SLDF tech in the latest story mission, I see. You'd think they'd have more pressing matters to worry about like flying the ship.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MechaCrash posted:

I like how you write the entire support staff as being "I guess this is happening now :sigh:" about the things you have them do.

On the subject of the crap autocannons, I know that in base tabletop, the AC/2 and AC/5 did not nearly justify how bulky and heavy they were with their damage, but I thought the AC/5 is at least passable here, given that it got its damage boosted to being 9 using the same damage scaling as everything that's not a missile, and I even saw it put forth that while in tabletop, the jump from AC/5 to AC/10 was super worth it because it's a 100% damage boost, it's not as huge here because it's a 33% damage boost that gives up a big chunk of range and weight (as previously covered, the damage basically went from 2/5/10/20 to 5/9/12/20).

Given that you said "sell all AC/5s" I think it's safe to say you do not agree with this assessment. :v:

Also I will add in thinking that it's funny that you spent a million bucks and all you got out of it was Glitch is in high spirits, Medusa is now a criminal, and a missile system of dubious value.

yeah, in my games I end up modding the basic ACs down to far lower weights. AC5s get Light AC5 weight, and AC2s go down to ~2-3t (depends on which mod I'm playing with, if it's like BTA that also has LAC/2, LBX2, and UAC2s to go with the base AC2s then I do things differently than if I'm playing vanilla) with 1t of built in ammo.

I really really really like having a ballistic that is light enough to add as a legitimate secondary minor weapon for Mechs that have a mixed loadout of weapon hardpoints (Or a primary weapon for some lighter units), and the AC2 being light enough to fill that job is a vast improvement to variety when you're building units. There's also not really all that many base Mechs with AC2s that need to be edited to use the newly available space, and since they're almost universally trash to start with (Since, well, they equip an AC2), it's a nice improvement to the game overall.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Just in case that was me, I apologize for the Discord beeps. PTN is on the channel I use for recording my Descent LP, and we used it when I was a guest commentator last thread.

So again, I apologize.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It wasn't you!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey PTN, I think I might have found a glitch in the modpack. I started the Hatchetman flashpoint and, while the first mission went fine, the game hung on the consecutive deployment screen for the second mission. My guess is it had something to do with the Hatchetman not interacting well with something in the modpack, but I couldn't say any more than that. I tried it twice and both times it got stuck in the same place: trying to give me the "choose mechs and pilots" page for the second mission, but never loading in any of the mechs or pilots. The game wasn't frozen, I could still open the menu and load games and everything, but it never loaded the stuff to launch the mission. I don't know anything about modding this game so I can't say anything more than that, except that I don't have anything extra installed except your most recent modpack from the OP.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's probably an issue with the attempted early unlock of the Hatchetman. Since that's caused problems, I'll remove it and reup tomorrow right away.

Files are updated. That should fix everything Hatchetman-related. I also fixed a typo in the AT&T Suite that let the game see it but wouldn't let it be equipped.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 26, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Great, thanks! I'll try to run through the flashpoint again in the next few days to check if it works.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Restoration Campaign – Episode 8: Sweep the Leg

As long as we don’t need to go far, travel expenses aren’t too bad.
Finished the structural repairs, boss!
Good work. Start on the power systems next. We don’t want Glitch electrocuting herself again.
On it, boss!
Now, let’s see what we can do with that new Spider…

… Ok. Maybe not.

We’ve arrived at Mechdur.

PTN’s note: I think I missed a zero. I’ll have to fix that, eventually. :hmmyes:

Oh! Pirate missions!

Mission 42: Black Site (Recovery, No Commentary)

Rewards: 106,400 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 CN9-AL Centurion parts ('Mech completed), 3 CRB-20 parts ('Mech completed), 3 HBK-4G parts ('Mech completed)

PTN's note: Got hugely lucky with the randoms on this one!

Mission 43: Capturing Production (Base Capture, No Commentary)

Rewards: 386,540 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 CPLT-C1 Catapult part, 3 TDR-5SS Thunderbolt parts (‘Mech completed), 1 QKD-4G Quickdraw part

Known for its superb heat management, the Thunderbolt 5SS hits hard at long range with its PPC and then closes to—
We already have a Black Knight.

PTN’s note: Thunderbolts are really good and a nice upgrade over most of the 55 ton mediums, but the Black Knight obsoletes them completely. Be sure to get rid of the center torso ammo ASAP!

Let’s grab a travel contract. I think this moves a little closer to Smithon.
It doesn’t!

Work on the power conduits is done!
Good. Now we can fix the engines and shave off some travel time. That’s going to be important soon.

PTN’s note: The Argo is such a pretty ship.

Mission 44: Mech Factory (Base Capture, Commentary)

Rewards: 499,135 c-bills

PTN’s note: I simultaneously need and don’t need to be careful how badly I piss off the Taurians, for reasons. I have something planned that requires shop access on one of their planets, so I’m going to need to do that soon.

Noteworthy Salvage: CPLT-C1 Catapult part, 3 GHR-5H Grasshopper parts (‘Mech complete), 1 MAD-3D Marauder part, 1 ON1-K Orion part, 1 TRD-5SS Thunderbolt part, 1 Gold-Played Missile Flight Coordinator (+missile clustering, +1 pilot injury)

Don't be fooled by its whimsical name—the Grasshopper is a killer that specializes in hunting down light and medium 'Mechs. Its superb jump ability and good armor allow it to get behind foes easily to bring its all-Energy weapons to bear.

You’re not telling me to dump it straight into storage?
:getin:
No, I was just thinking the Griffin was reaching the end of its effective lifespan.

Welp. Time to do a few repairs.
Drive is up to speed. Pun intended.
Good. Start work on re-reinforcing the structure!

Mission 45: Heart of Darkness (Assassination, Commentary)

Rewards: 316,575 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 AS7-D Atlas part, 1 CPLT-C1 Catapult part (‘Mech completed), 1 DV-6M Dervish part (‘Mech completed), 1 TDR-5SS Thunderbolt part

PTn’s note: These choices amount to: do you want to permanently lose a Mechwarrior? No/Yes/GET THE gently caress OFF MY SHIP. If company morale is low it turns into Yes/Yes/GET THE gently caress OFF MY SHIP instead.

Mission 46: Hard Contact (Battle, Commentary)

Rewards: 395,850 c-bills

PTN’s Note: We are now officially on the Taurian poo poo list. We’re not quite Persona non Grata in the Concordat but we hit the 50% price increase in all shops. This is dangerous because as I mentioned I still really need at least one visit to a shop in Taurian space…

Noteworthy Salvage: 3 AWS-8T Awesome parts (‘Mech Completed), 1 JM6-S JagerMech part, 1 ARC-2S Archer part

The Awesome 8T—
Is really hardpoint limited. If it had four missile hardpoints it’d be ok, but like the Catapult it’s relegated to only two which means it’s pretty bad.
And since everyone’s injured we’re going to bounce back to Mechdur since it’s only one jump away from our next Restoration objective.
A trip that took 18 days before has been cut down to 13 thanks to Dr. Murad’s engine upgrades!

It’s enough time for a few minor tweaks. The Griffin swaps out its stability damage booster for the gold-plated missile flight coordinator. Time to see if this is actually useful!
And we slap some reactive armor into the Marauder, reducing the damage it takes from missiles which have been Glitch’s bane.

And Mechdur’s got a reinforced version of the Support Stabilization System, that’s a nice pickup for the Spider.[/i]

Mission 47: Clean Out the Mercs (Battle, Commentary)

Rewards: 308,350 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 DCMS-MX90-D Daboku parts (‘Mech complete), 1 ARC-2R Archer part

The Daboku is pretty much everything you’d want in an LRM boat. There is a better one; but it’s hard to argue with this.

Training Results
Glitch: Piloting +1 (Piloting 10) [+3 hit defense, +6 melee hit defense]
Paradise: Guts 5

Mission 48: Defeat In Detail (Battle, Commentary)

Rewards: 468,300 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 ASN-21 Assassin part (‘Mech completed), 1 CTF-1X Cataphract part, 1 LCT-1M Locust part (‘Mech completed), 1 SHD-2H Shadow Hawk part (‘Mech completed), 1 Gyro+ (+2 hit defense), 1 COM-1B Commando part, 1 WNF-4R Enforcer part

We’re assembling quite the ‘Mech collection. Time to sell off our duplicates!

Shop results
CN9-AL Centurion - 440,320 c-bills
DV-6M Dervish – 532,480 c-bills
HBK-4G Hunchback – 419,840 c-bills
SHD-2H Shadow Hawk – 532,480 c-bills
109 heat sinks – 334,848 c-bills
12 Jump Jet(s) – 36,864 c-bills
27 LRM Ammo – 55,296 c-bills
13 SRM Ammo – 13,312 c-bills
6 AC/2 – 30,720 c-bills
4 AC/5 – 40,960 c-bills
7 Large Laser – 100,352 c-bills
43 Medium Laser – 264,192 c-bills
9 LRM-10 – 138,240 c-bills
4 SRM-2 – 8,192 c-bills
Total – 2,948,096 c-bills (sell your overstock!)

Mission 49: Pincer (Battle, Commentary)

Rewards: 550,935 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 HGN-733P Highlander parts (‘Mech complete), 1 QKD-4G Quickdraw part (‘Mech complete), 2 RVN-1X Raven part (‘Mech complete), 1 CDA-2A Cicada part, 1 ON1-K Orion part

The Highlander—
Storage.
What? But… it’s an assault ‘Mech?
An assault ‘Mech I hate.

PTN’s note: Highlanders aren’t bad, I’ve just never liked them. I won’t be using it.

Finished the structural upgrades!
Right. Time to upgrade the Mechbay again.

Yeah. I suppose we should go handle that.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 6, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know who the Grey Death Legion was when Glitch asked to go join

I'm so sorry Glitch

quote:

Doboku

quote:

Problems with the CASE system protecting the ammunition bins resulted in the auto-eject triggering when the torso armor was struck in a certain manner. DCMS MechWarriors found themselves rocketing above the battlefield, often at the most inopportune moments, and ultimately took to disabling the auto-eject.

:allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man that walking laser show is insane.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh yes, the Grasshopper is an industrial rave machine.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

I love how Dekker will melee a vehicle to death, and then fire 2 laser shots into the destroyed hulk as a final "gently caress you."

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh yes, the Grasshopper is an industrial rave machine.

Industrial Locust swatter.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Don't want to critique you too much, maybe just bad commentary on my part:

Mission 43: Capturing Production
Is there a reason why you didn't just headshot the mech or back CT and loot the EWS?

Mission 45: Heart of Darkness
It seems you wasted alot of time and morale by deciding to jump and shoot instead of jumping and bracing or moving and bracing. Not shooting would let you brace removing enough stability damage to allow you to maintain evasion and guarded, and you would have lost enough heat to fire all your weapons with offensive push, especially with glitch.

Mission 46: Hard Contact
I can't hear the vaccume cleaner from your upstairs neighbor so either it's not very loud or your noise cancellation is working fine.
Is it possible for someone with ace pilot to shoot then move into ECM field and become ECM protected?

Didn't get to rest of missions tonight. Thanks so far for the LP!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SugarAddict posted:

Don't want to critique you too much, maybe just bad commentary on my part:

Mission 43: Capturing Production
Is there a reason why you didn't just headshot the mech or back CT and loot the EWS?
It's blacklisted equipment which can't be looted (and can't be permanently destroyed on your machines equipped with it). Because it can't be salvaged, it's worth going out of your way to destroy ASAP. It's just like the Marauder's Lance Command Module in that respect.

ECM isn't impossible to play around, but one of the keys is: when you have a shot at the Raven (or CTF-0X Cataphract): you take it.

quote:

Mission 45: Heart of Darkness
It seems you wasted alot of time and morale by deciding to jump and shoot instead of jumping and bracing or moving and bracing. Not shooting would let you brace removing enough stability damage to allow you to maintain evasion and guarded, and you would have lost enough heat to fire all your weapons with offensive push, especially with glitch.
I wasn't paying much attention to my stability at the time, and noticed the play error during commentary after the fact. It could have ended extremely badly and I got very lucky that it didn't.

quote:

Mission 46: Hard Contact
I can't hear the vaccume cleaner from your upstairs neighbor so either it's not very loud or your noise cancellation is working fine.
Is it possible for someone with ace pilot to shoot then move into ECM field and become ECM protected?
Firing once at any point during the turn preemptively keeps the ECM from cloaking the 'Mech until the next turn. Likewise you can't fire out of ECM and have the ECM carrier walk over to protect you. I should've mentioned that.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 30, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

When I played the campaign I tried to build the grasshopper as a DFA machine, it turned out to be too fragile even with stacked -self damage mods, so I dismissed it as useless.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
DFA self damage scales really quickly, it's possible to negate it on the lightest of 'Mechs but everything else is going to eat a lot of damage.

You can usually survive one DFA without breaching your leg armor, but near as I can tell the damage isn't applied evenly so a bad roll could wind up with most of the damage applied to one leg.

Death from Above works in two situations: when you're so desperate that the risk of pilot injury or legging yourself is worth it: i.e. all the guns got blown off your 'Mech, but the enemy is down to a single threat; or when you're winning so handily (and have some forced downtime coming like travel) that you don't care if you eat a pilot injury / structure damage.

Or when you're using someone else's 'Mechs and/or pilots. :v:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I hadn't really thought about it before, but given the way damage spread works, is there a viable build in loading a mech with like, 5 machine guns, and doing nothing but trying to ping the enemy's cockpit over and over to kill the pilot?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

I hadn't really thought about it before, but given the way damage spread works, is there a viable build in loading a mech with like, 5 machine guns, and doing nothing but trying to ping the enemy's cockpit over and over to kill the pilot?

Heads are incredibly hard to hit, so you'd need a LOT more than 5 mgs to make that worthwhile. And it's far less reliable than just getting good tactics or a Marauder (or both).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gothsheep posted:

If I recall correctly you can only get one pilot injury a turn anyways. So you'd have to do it up to 5 or 6 times in a mission while it was still a fully functional enemy shooting at you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gothsheep posted:

Machine Guns and LB-X Autocannons are both great at scoring lucky headcaps, but even with the two LB 5-Xes on the Orion we're still talking 1 every 2-3 turns.

Even a single lucky headshot in the early game can make a pilot KO much easier, since pilots start with 3 HP; but in the endgame enemy pilots have 5 HP, of which they can only lose 1/turn through lucky headshots. So you're talking a minimum of 5 turns to kill an endgame pilot with "golden BBs" alone. You can speed the process by having multiple 'Mechs trying the same gimmick, but I can't say I'd recommend it.

The most HP an enemy Mechwarrior can lose in a single salvo is 2: one from any combination of pilot hit, torso destruction or ammo explosion; and one from a knockdown.

When the game first launched, stability damage on LRMs used to be much higher and if you pushed an enemy 'Mech to the stability cap with a single salvo they'd fall over instantly (rather than the current method, which requires them to become unsteady in one salvo so a second salvo can knock them over). You used to be able to chain knockdown an enemy 'Mech with a dedicated LRM boat, and score easy KOs that way. That was patched out because it really was exploitative.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Machine guns are better used for looking for ammo to explode than trying to ping the pilot. Ripping the head clean off is the fastest method and while many parts on a mech are hard to replace, the cockpit is actually a relatively easy job in general.

I load up assault mechs with them to be honest for heat management rather than damage. 4 machine guns are 0 heat versus 4 small lasers at 24 in this scale. 4 machine guns can also actually use up a ton of ammo at a reasonable rate rather than being a sitting nuclear bomb in the center torso.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AtomikKrab posted:

Machine guns are better used for looking for ammo to explode than trying to ping the pilot. Ripping the head clean off is the fastest method and while many parts on a mech are hard to replace, the cockpit is actually a relatively easy job in general.

I load up assault mechs with them to be honest for heat management rather than damage. 4 machine guns are 0 heat versus 4 small lasers at 24 in this scale. 4 machine guns can also actually use up a ton of ammo at a reasonable rate rather than being a sitting nuclear bomb in the center torso.

Why would you ever put ammo in the CT when the legs are right there?

But as Poptarts points out, you can only do at best 2 injuries per shot. One from Head/Torso/Ammo, and 1 from knockdown. I'm sure we've already seen ammo go off, and take out a torso for only 1 injury.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

But as Poptarts points out, you can only do at best 2 injuries per shot. One from Head/Torso/Ammo, and 1 from knockdown. I'm sure we've already seen ammo go off, and take out a torso for only 1 injury.

You would put ammo in the center torso to help locust pilots end their misery faster?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Veloxyll posted:

Because BT units weren't designed to be optimal. Mech design has been a solved question since 1991, but the game is more about making do with what you have as it comes apart, not building the perfect min-maxed unit and assuming everyone will be really impressed you thought to combine Gauss rifles with PPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Because BT units weren't designed to be optimal. Mech design has been a solved question since 1991, but the game is more about making do with what you have as it comes apart, not building the perfect min-maxed unit and assuming everyone will be really impressed you thought to combine Gauss rifles with PPCs.

Its really this, like the King Crab only having 10 ac/20 ammo, the Atlas being equipped with rear end lasers, the Charger.