Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

barbecue at the folks posted:

In reality a single human perspective cannot replace others, even when aided with a "flawless" AI.

Just because it hasn't happened yet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Considering the amount of people who believe anything they read on Facebook would it really be harmful if those articles were produced by a benevolent AI instead?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

How can someone with a Solid Snake avatar advocate for the world to be ruled by an AI

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Raiden, turn the game console off right now! The mission is a failure, cut the power right now!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Helios isn't just one man / dictator or an AI running the show, the combined entity is the best of both worlds, the speed and efficiency of a powerful AI and a human conscience that has ethics and can learn. But most importantly it creates a true democracy for the first time in human history. Anyone with access to an internet connection has input on the issues humanity is facing, without having to trust their corrupt politicians to make the right choice. Helios is literally creating a god that will not only hear the collective prayers of mankind but be able to answer them as well, hence the ending quote. The AI isn't a ruler, it's a conduit for collective decision making.

Illuminati: Join forces with the greedy, power hungry old money guys who have created all of Earth's problems up until this point and presumably succumb to the internal backstabbing that seems to be routine among them. Kick the can down the road.

Dark Age: Kill yourself and millions of others because of a sudden absence of life sustaining technology. Also kicking the can down the road, but in an even more damaging way.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

How can someone with a Solid Snake avatar advocate for the world to be ruled by an AI

He needs scissors

61!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would add that, in the context of Deus Ex, I can see a level of technology that would allow for a distribution of resources that meets needs while respecting the limits of the natural world. To put it another way, the moment has finally arrived in-universe where computing potential can effectuate full central planning. This doesn't mean everyone can have infinite everything, but I can imagine in this game a world wherein production serves man rather than man produces to serve the oligarchy. A lot of people don't like that idea because they don't want equality or even care to preserve the world, they just want to be able to do whatever they want without consequences or hindrance.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I would not trust me as represented by jc to run the world. I exploded people for fun, withheld food from starving children, and made fun of a young woman who watched her father get married.

drat, Jojo and Gilbert can get married? I've gotta play through this again

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I would add that, in the context of Deus Ex, I can see a level of technology that would allow for a distribution of resources that meets needs while respecting the limits of the natural world. To put it another way, the moment has finally arrived in-universe where computing potential can effectuate full central planning. This doesn't mean everyone can have infinite everything, but I can imagine in this game a world wherein production serves man rather than man produces to serve the oligarchy. A lot of people don't like that idea because they don't want equality or even care to preserve the world, they just want to be able to do whatever they want without consequences or hindrance.
It’s a shame the replicators didn’t factor into the game’s story until right near the end. Would have been interesting to see what they could be used for (or used by) in the Deus Ex world.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Of all the things to dislike about Invisible War, this ranks in the top dozen. The player makes a choice at the end of Deus Ex, then IW goes and says "ehhhh, I'm just gonna assume you made *this* choice." And it's the shittiest of the three choices.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Phigs posted:

He was Illuminati though and used their plan to create the massacre so their hands are not completely clean. And it doesn't say a lot about their ability to control the world when a 2nd person used their own technology to betray them in so short a time span. It looks like their ability to maintain control was slipping because technology was becoming too powerful a multiplier to stop one of them just going rogue.

Robert Anton Wilson made the perfect argument that the Illuminati do not have total control over the world: if they did, we would never have heard of the Illuminati.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Cat Machine posted:

It’s a shame the replicators didn’t factor into the game’s story until right near the end. Would have been interesting to see what they could be used for (or used by) in the Deus Ex world.

UCs Were a plot point since Hong Kong. Hell you singlehandedly destroy one of the three in the world in Hong Kong!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Gynovore posted:

Of all the things to dislike about Invisible War, this ranks in the top dozen. The player makes a choice at the end of Deus Ex, then IW goes and says "ehhhh, I'm just gonna assume you made *this* choice." And it's the shittiest of the three choices.

IIRC, wasn't it a hybrid of all 3 choices?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Gynovore posted:

It assumed you chose all 3 of the endings at once though, which is a copout answer to an unsolvable narrative situation but a bit different than the way you are putting it. DX2 got around the ending choice by making all 3 (or at least 2) of the endings come true, even though it's not possible to do so in the original game. JC brought about the Collapse/New Dark Age from Tracer Tong's ending, and also merged with Helios but the result of the merge was unstable and he fled to Antarctica and went into a coma. I forget about the Illuminati ending, of course he has his own faction separate from the Illuminati but I think it was tied in somewhere because IIRC there were 3 different loading screen tips saying "JC brought about the Collapse", "JC merged with Helios" and "JC joined the Illuminati" that would all pop up randomly.
To be fair, the ending cutscenes in DX1 don't show the aftermath of your choices (like DX2's do) so it doesn't actually contradict any of the ending cutscenes.
Speaking of which one of the things I do hate about DX2's story is how they character assassinated the cool anarchist living in the Paris catacombs by having him become The Leader of Capitalism who constantly pops up as a hologram making speeches about the evil JC Denton. Similarly Nicolette DuClare becoming the Pope of the only religion in the world
DX4 just ignored all the DX3 ending choices, though that was easy to do since they were only different versions of "what media spin do we put on the events of the ending".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I won't spoil, but the end of Dragonfall, the second ShadowRun game, does a very good job of explaining consequences. I consider it germane since Deus Ex and ShadowRun share a lot of similarities. The LP by Kanfy just hit the archives if anyone wants to see it.

Cat Machine posted:

Deus Ex is a bit different, but If infinite Star Trek type replicators happened today, someone would patent them and they would be used to produce more buyable commodities than feed the entire world. It would be even more suffering amongst abundance than we have now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

43 new posts?? Surely there must be some news, and not just... rhetoric

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Basic Chunnel posted:

I like the rhetoric.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

This rhetoric, the discourse is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why contain it?

...s'cool.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

And you believe it?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Don't believe it? It's all in the numbers.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So GMDX has branched off into something called RSD, which is totally separate from the GMDX v10 community patch. The differences are pretty vast so I'm just going to link it:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/version-rsd-beta-10-future-official-update#membersform

v10 tended to roll back a lot of the changes which you may or may not agree with. RSD is more of a continuation of v9. GMDX overall adds more difficulty to the game so if thats not your bag then this might not be the mod for you.

In other news after some tinkering I've gotten the game to work very nicely with a controller.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 22, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In other news after some tinkering I've gotten the game to work very nicely with a controller.

Do share, I’d love to controller this game up.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Valtonen posted:

UCs Were a plot point since Hong Kong. Hell you singlehandedly destroy one of the three in the world in Hong Kong!
Yeah, but they never really made it outside the world of elites and into the public sphere. It would have been interesting to see something like:

JustJeff88 posted:

someone would patent them and they would be used to produce more buyable commodities than feed the entire world. It would be even more suffering amongst abundance than we have now.

play out in the DX world, I think.

C'mooooooon Square Enix, make a game set after Invisible War...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im going to shut down the internet and no one can stop me

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

gonna hang out with my bro, tracer tong, and alex.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

gonna hang out with my bro, tracer tong, and alex.

wtf wow, why'd you scoff off Reyes?!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Do share, I’d love to controller this game up.

I just used the most popular controller config thats currently on Steam and altered it to my taste.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Deus Ex has native joystick input for player movement, something to keep in mind if you make a controller profile. It's analog directionally, though movement speed is still digital. Steam Input lets you bind a key to the outer rim of the stick to save mapping a button to run, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh yeah, big part of what makes Controller support a reasonable thing: https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/radial-augmentation-menu

Radial Aug Menu. I have it bound to left trigger currently.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing an Immersive sim with a controller just feels wrong to me like boiling a turkey or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That radial mod seems nice too bad it's gmdx only

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gaius Marius posted:

Playing an Immersive sim with a controller just feels wrong to me like boiling a turkey or something.

I've slowly been coming around on controllers lately. I'm actually starting to prefer them for immersive sims because I rarely shoot guns in those types of games. Like for instance a controller works really good for the Thief games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I finished plodding my way through Signal from Tolva and my internal review went something like you walk forever, not a lot happens, then you choose the Tracer Tong ending or the Helios Merge ending.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I bought the PS2 version of DX and the strategy guide (so sue me, it was $4). I need to play that and then bitch about how mouse aim is so much better than analogue sticks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dx is both wonky and playable with a gamepad from what I've messed with. In game it works just fine for my needs since i like using the blackjack, so no fine aiming needed, and the gep gun for bots, which has a lockon. But you basically have to have your keyboard next to you at all times anyways to use any of the menu systems, so like, it's not really all that worth it?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So GMDX has branched off into something called RSD, which is totally separate from the GMDX v10 community patch. The differences are pretty vast so I'm just going to link it:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/version-rsd-beta-10-future-official-update#membersform

v10 tended to roll back a lot of the changes which you may or may not agree with. RSD is more of a continuation of v9. GMDX overall adds more difficulty to the game so if thats not your bag then this might not be the mod for you.

I vouch for this, I just finished a game with RSD and quite enjoyed it. There are things I don't like; the stamina system seems arbitrary and punishing, and left me wondering why a nano-augmented super agent had less athleticism than me, a pasty computer nerd, but thankfully you can turn it off. I didn't love that the lockpicking and electronics skills are severely nerfed either.

That said, the augmentation menu is excellent, the changes to environmental gear (Tech goggles, thermoptic camo, etc) are all great, the weapon modding system is better, the augs all feel fun and useful now, the perk system fits the game perfectly, and I enjoyed some of the slightly beefed-up combat encounters which make the game a little spicier. There are also some small changes to some of the maps to add extra routes or places to explore, but unlike Revision it was all done with a light touch which left the original game's feeling intact or improved it in subtle ways.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah I turned off the stamina system straight away. poo poo makes straight up no sense to have it in a regular playthrough but maybe as a difficulty modifier for a hardcore type playthrough it could wrap around to interesting.,

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Why contain it?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56890714

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
" S'cool "- Boris