Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I guess it’s just tradition that the third season of each year has to suck balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's really goddamn incredible how Bungie can only seem to make bad decisions about how to handle new systems/design. Some of it is definitely money driven but even if you couldn't spend an extra cent on Destiny after the expansion/seasons I can only imagine how badly they'd still gently caress it up every, goddamn, time.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bardeh posted:

It's funny that they're not even trying to obfuscate the push towards you spending real money. Other games might just have the grind get more and more onerous after a while, but this one just has a hard limit. The only reason that hard limit can be there is so they can monetize the feature. poo poo's ridiculous.

which blows my loving mind because like

look at this poo poo. are you loving kidding me? $25 USD for Forsaken and Shadowkeep? $40 for Beyond Light, not counting the loving seasons, which are another $30?

what is this poo poo?

Orv
May 4, 2011
People need to stop hiring motherfuckers cause they played a shitton of EQ/vanilla WoW.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

mad about a thing I might use once or twice for a visual effect pretty much no one except me will see and only while looking at my inventory screen

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This game should be in the dictionary beside Monkey's Paw.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roman posted:

mad about a thing I might use once or twice for a visual effect pretty much no one except me will see and only while looking at my inventory screen

That might be a good burn except for the part where they've done this over and over and over for no reason.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They should have stuck with Shadowkeep's "get ghetto gear through gameplay, get cool RGB flashy aint-I-special bullshit by paying us money" route. I am, at least, okay with spending money to look like a special and unique individual.

This is just charging me money to try to wear the stuff I've had sitting in my closet for two years.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
Destiny 1 is a full 60 dollars on PS4 store still

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Someone upthread mentioned that they "walked back the sunsetting", what got changed? I just started playing again since BLight.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Someone upthread mentioned that they "walked back the sunsetting", what got changed? I just started playing again since BLight.
they're not sunsetting any armor or gear that can be upgraded to max light this season and won't sunset anything else in the future

(sunset = infusion cap in case you don't know)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Orv posted:

That might be a good burn except for the part where they've done this over and over and over for no reason.
no limits = years of free ornaments built up over 4 years. it might discourage people from buying (or even paying attention to) new ornaments

that's not a defense, that's just probably the reason

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Roman posted:

they're not sunsetting any armor or gear that can be upgraded to max light this season and won't sunset anything else in the future

They've also reissued Moon and Dreaming City armor and some of the guns through the dungeon/BW/AoS drops.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

in summary, gently caress GaaS

Orv
May 4, 2011

Roman posted:

no limits = years of free ornaments built up over 4 years. it might discourage people from buying (or even paying attention to) new ornaments

that's not a defense, that's just probably the reason

I mean yeah, I will always grant that companies want to and sometimes need to make more money, but 2 outfits a season in a game with a ton of cool armor is really rough and they could reasonably up that without cutting into their profits too much, I imagine. That plus more goddamn bounties is just ugh.

The last few times I've gone back to WoW I've spent the vast majority of my time farming outfits from old content and coming up with sometimes multiple cool looks in a single day. This is a terrible way to do it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 22, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I think we're possibly in Ripping Off the Band-Aids mode. They're going to announce a bunch of stuff over the coming weeks that will make people mad, then show off amazing stuff at E3 that makes everyone hyped and preorder the next expansion anyway

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given their decision to permanently (IIRC?) move expansion launches to early in the year rather than Nov I'd be pretty surprised if we saw Witch Queen stuff at E3.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Roman posted:

Oh gotcha, yea i was wondering if theyd un-sunset anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

$10 for not even a single uniform, but just the privilege of being able to make a single uniform

i just can't turn my head from how astonishingly greedy that is :psyduck:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Nah for real if the only purpose of Synthcord is to be turned into Synthweave when you talk to Ada then why does it exist? Why would you not just award the synthweave when you get the bounty, just zero good decisions made here

Roman posted:

Your posting is almost as bad as this transmog system, woof!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RocketRaygun posted:

unrelated to the unmitigated trashfire that is bungie's transmog system, they did a website deploy today that had "Season of the Splicer" in their google analytics tags. Could be next or a future season, given that bungie works many many many months ahead of time.

More leaks coming out and it's looking like It's a Fallen/House Light focus with Crow working with Mithraax and more buildup for him becoming the next Hunter Vanguard

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The community backlash has been substantial. Bungie is getting it from all sides right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I actually checked out destinythegame for two seconds despite how much that place sucks and I think people might actually be madder about this, at least off the bat, than sunsetting? Nobody likes this it doesn't even have the people going "Well hold on maybe they'll bring in good X" like sunsetting had people saying.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's wild how bipolar this game is, depending on context it's reasonable to call Destiny 2 both one of the best games on the market and an atrocious piece of poo poo GAAS joke that makes WoW look respectful to the player

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wheeee posted:

It's wild how bipolar this game is, depending on context it's reasonable to call Destiny 2 both one of the best games on the market and an atrocious piece of poo poo GAAS joke that makes WoW look respectful to the player

Any time you are clicking aliens and robots and space ghosts it's one of the best games ever made. The very second the MMO part rears its head it just falls apart no matter how many times they try to rework it.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

They were doing so well, but good ol' Bungo strikes again

Destiny 2 should have never gone F2P

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I bet they'll up the number of things you can transmog per season if the community responds negatively enough. Or maybe they'll rework it by season 18.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

I bet they'll up the number of things you can transmog per season if the community responds negatively enough. Or maybe they'll rework it by season 18.

Up it to three sets per character but double the bounty requirements per piece.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orv posted:

I actually checked out destinythegame for two seconds despite how much that place sucks and I think people might actually be madder about this, at least off the bat, than sunsetting? Nobody likes this it doesn't even have the people going "Well hold on maybe they'll bring in good X" like sunsetting had people saying.

That's because sunsetting had a gameplay reason, however misguided it may have been. This is a combination of bald-faced greed (or tone-deaf stupidity) and pointlessly overcomplicating what should be a very simple system.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is it just standard procedure to introduce something in its absolute shittiest iteration then means tweak it until enough people stop complaining about it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

lol you could have made the whole thing simpler by saying "if you play x amount of time, doing anything in game, you get a transmog token" none of this dumb bounty stuff. Just be happy people are engaging with the game at large. *sigh* bungie gonna bung.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm probably not going to bother with transmogging more than 3 or 4 sets of armor honestly, but I know people will want to do way more.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Even aside from the monetization I don’t understand why steps 1 and 3 exist, why are there so many steps? It should just be do bounty, make ornament.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I got the HA catalyst. I'm free now.

Not sure if I'm going to bother with the remaining season challenges I have.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Wheeee posted:

Frankly a big reason why I can't stop playing Destiny 2 is this incredible juxtaposition of the core gunplay being so absolutely rock solid and all the higher level content and progression decisions being so absolutely terrible forces it to take up space in my head

Like normally, games worth thinking about are usually either really good, or really trash (in a let's-look-at-the-car-crash kind of way), but D2 is really good AND really trash at once. It's like opening up Schrodinger's box and seeing two cats

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
loving bounties, man.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

Your posting is almost as bad as this transmog system, woof!
It's a really bad system but one that really won't affect me that much. If it had no limits I would be using it for like far less than the 20 or 10 pieces per season they limit us to now. It's just that it feels bad to have that limit anyway, which was my point

I don't mind grinding to be able to unlock ornaments but there's at least one step/currency too much in that process

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Nah for real if the only purpose of Synthcord is to be turned into Synthweave when you talk to Ada then why does it exist? Why would you not just award the synthweave when you get the bounty, just zero good decisions made here

Look, Ada-1 has been by herself down in the Annex for the past year and she's lonely

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I dunno I think in a game where people complain about lulls in content, limiting something they can grind for when they've exhausted everything else might be kinda stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Roman posted:

I dunno I think in a game where people complain about lulls in content, limiting something they can grind for when they've exhausted everything else might be kinda stupid

this is exactly my thought on the matter. I have no desire to actually wear more than 5% of my collection. I just want something to do when there is nothing else to do.