Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
So I've heard people discuss injecting meat, but I'm unclear how it is effective, and I'm hoping someone can help me understand.

The muscle tissue doesn't really absorb that much liquid, and there isn't really a whole lot of empty space inside a muscle for the injection liquid to have a place to go, so isn't the liquid mostly just sitting in the physical space left by the injection needle?

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

So I've heard people discuss injecting meat, but I'm unclear how it is effective, and I'm hoping someone can help me understand.

The muscle tissue doesn't really absorb that much liquid, and there isn't really a whole lot of empty space inside a muscle for the injection liquid to have a place to go, so isn't the liquid mostly just sitting in the physical space left by the injection needle?

It will eventually permiate the meat. The tissue is pourous enough. You usually need to inject in many locations. Injecting is also very useful (or even required) for curing thicker cuts like corning a whole brisket.
The brining solution wont make it all the way into the center in a week and you really dont want something sitting in a brine much longer than that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ZombieCrew posted:

[b]Injecting is also very useful (or even required) for curing thicker cuts like corning a whole brisket.b]

Got a source for this?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Where do you guys place your controller probe? I've been clipping it to the bottom of the top rack, somewhere where it won't get dripped on.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Where do you guys place your controller probe? I've been clipping it to the bottom of the top rack, somewhere where it won't get dripped on.

Mines usually left on the top rack or on the rack with the thing to be cooked (middle), in a back corner.

Depends on how many racks i have in/what I'm cooking.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

toplitzin posted:

Got a source for this?

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/curing-meats-safely/

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Close to the meat

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got a 14" WSM and it seems like if I want to use a probe to monitor the temp I shouldn't have any issues just leaving it in the gasket instead of clipping it to a rack? mostly because I don't have a clip.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I found what I figured I'd find: "Injection curing should be left for the pros."

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I got a 14" WSM and it seems like if I want to use a probe to monitor the temp I shouldn't have any issues just leaving it in the gasket instead of clipping it to a rack? mostly because I don't have a clip.

I've cooked all of twice on my WSM so far so take this for what it's worth, but my understanding is that a temperature reading on the side of the bullet might read hotter than if you have it clipped to the grate by the meat because of the way the airflow works.

Probably not enough to matter, mind, but it'd probably run higher.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I've cooked all of twice on my WSM so far so take this for what it's worth, but my understanding is that a temperature reading on the side of the bullet might read hotter than if you have it clipped to the grate by the meat because of the way the airflow works.

Probably not enough to matter, mind, but it'd probably run higher.

:aaaaa:

Thank you for this! No wonder cooks have been taking longer than they should. I feel like an idiot for not realizing this. Ha.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you have the means I highly recommend running two air probes in your smoker simultaneously at two locations. A 2" difference in vertical location was 30 degrees apart in my kettle.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

It will eventually permiate the meat. The tissue is pourous enough. You usually need to inject in many locations. Injecting is also very useful (or even required) for curing thicker cuts like corning a whole brisket.
The brining solution wont make it all the way into the center in a week and you really dont want something sitting in a brine much longer than that.

I apologize for being thickheaded but how does this physically work? Unless you've somehow already pulled liquid out of the muscle tissue aren't the cells of the tissue already at capacity? Brining involves the exchange of salt electrons or ions or whatever but you're not really putting liquid itself into the meat. Unless the idea is that as the cooking process pulls liquid out of the meat, the cells which have lost moisture absorb the liquid you've injected inside the tissue?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
If you are injecting for flavor, then the liquid is usually salty and has other flavors. The liquid will be saltier than the meat and the exchange you mentioned will happen until equilibrium if left long enough. The salt helps the meat retain some moisture, but only to a certain point and the liquid will cook out anyways, so your just injecting to add flavor. You need to use injections about every inch. It spreads, but not very far.

There is water loss from the meat through out the butchering process though. Slaughtered, skinned, drained, gutted, and then the sides of beef are hung up and graded. The grades are the blue stamps you sometimes see which are made out of grape juice. If you buy a side of a cow, they usually hang in a cooler for a week or more dry aging. If its getting broken down into primals, they get started on that a bit sooner and pack it in liquid so it doesnt spoil, but it is wet aging at that point and can stay like that for several weeks.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

If you are injecting for flavor, then the liquid is usually salty and has other flavors. The liquid will be saltier than the meat and the exchange you mentioned will happen until equilibrium if left long enough. The salt helps the meat retain some moisture, but only to a certain point and the liquid will cook out anyways, so your just injecting to add flavor. You need to use injections about every inch. It spreads, but not very far.

There is water loss from the meat through out the butchering process though. Slaughtered, skinned, drained, gutted, and then the sides of beef are hung up and graded. The grades are the blue stamps you sometimes see which are made out of grape juice. If you buy a side of a cow, they usually hang in a cooler for a week or more dry aging. If its getting broken down into primals, they get started on that a bit sooner and pack it in liquid so it doesnt spoil, but it is wet aging at that point and can stay like that for several weeks.

Thanks man

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

First brisket went pretty well. You read about the stall and you're like... OK, got it. But then dealing with it yourself still involves lots of hand-wringing to get it out and rested in time for a meal.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That smoke ring has a hard terminator. Did you smoke the whole time? Did you crutch it? I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just super curious how you got it to look like that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

First brisket went pretty well. You read about the stall and you're like... OK, got it. But then dealing with it yourself still involves lots of hand-wringing to get it out and rested in time for a meal.

Is that...is that a real smoke ring? Or a Prague powder smoke ring?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

um excuse me posted:

That smoke ring has a hard terminator. Did you smoke the whole time? Did you crutch it? I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just super curious how you got it to look like that.

Crutched in the oven at 225. No powder or anything, just mesquite.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 24, 2021

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't use pink salt on my brisket, I throw it on the Traeger and don't crutch and my smoke ring looks the same.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

drat. I don’t think I got a smoke ring like that on my brisket after 12 hours

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
A friend of mine with a Trager gets smoke rings like that too. I think the pellets not being pre-charred means they let off more of those gasses that react with the meat. I've done three briskets in my WSM with charcoal and have gotten pretty slim rings.

Chad Sexington posted:

Crutched in the oven at 225. No powder or anything, just mesquite.

What kind of charcoal did you use?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

First brisket-about 8-9 pounds trimmed.

Just like every pork shoulder I’ve ever done, the stall is taking way longer than any website says. It hit 145 about 8 hours ago and got as high as 173 before dropping to its current temp of 169.8.

Luckily it’s only 8 am right now and I wouldn’t plan on eating until 5 pm, so as long as it gets to 200 by 3 pm I’m hoping I’ll be ok.

I was going to go without crutching it but now I’m not so sure.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 24, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lesson learned: Make sure your FireBoard blower's flap is OPEN when trying to cook. I'm mostly amazed it got to temp at all despite somehow getting barely any air.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Endless Mike posted:

Lesson learned: Make sure your FireBoard blower's flap is OPEN when trying to cook. I'm mostly amazed it got to temp at all despite somehow getting barely any air.

:same: in my graph above you can see the temp spike in the first hour or two. For some reason I closed the pit viper van completely after I used it last. I thought it was weird it was losing temp so quickly yet the fan was running 100%. No shock that it works much better when it’s fully opened up.

I cranked my temp to 275 and I’m at 185 on the brisket so hopefully I’m out of the stall now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol yeah that's what was happening here. I'm watching the fan blow at 100% but the temp barely creep up. Took over an hour to hit 225, then another half hour to get back after I put the brisket in (it's a lil flat, so it shouldn't take all day). Looked at the fan and realized the flap was all the way closed. Opened it, and it popped up 15 degrees in like 5 minutes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Grandito posted:

A friend of mine with a Trager gets smoke rings like that too. I think the pellets not being pre-charred means they let off more of those gasses that react with the meat. I've done three briskets in my WSM with charcoal and have gotten pretty slim rings.

What kind of charcoal did you use?

Kingsford Professional, normal stuff.

I've only done three cooks on the WSM now but all three have gotten pretty good rings. My understanding is that it doesn't affect flavor though?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What’s yalls process with the Fireboard? I only put it on when I’ve reached my set point and I typically set it lower; ie I set it to 225 if I’m targeting 250 or so because I’ve gotten some pretty crazy over shoots on it. I’ve noticed it’s lid open protection takes forever to kick in as well.

I like it, especially on its own as a monitor. I’ve had zero connection errors or loss of data or anything. But I’m still figuring out the quirks with the fan.

I’m using it on a BGE. I’ve tried the fan vent blocker at almost all settings. It is great for getting your fire up to temp for grilling too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm on a WSM, so overshoots aren't as big a deal as on a BGE. I just set it to the temp I want and let it go as soon as I get the coal basket lit. Hasn't been a problem. The lid detection happens pretty quickly for me, but temp tends to drop really quickly when I take it off. So I try not to do that.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Anyone have experience with the Kamado Joe sloroller? It is on a flash sale right now but still kind of expensive. Curious if it is worth it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bob A Feet posted:

What’s yalls process with the Fireboard? I only put it on when I’ve reached my set point and I typically set it lower; ie I set it to 225 if I’m targeting 250 or so because I’ve gotten some pretty crazy over shoots on it. I’ve noticed it’s lid open protection takes forever to kick in as well.

I like it, especially on its own as a monitor. I’ve had zero connection errors or loss of data or anything. But I’m still figuring out the quirks with the fan.

I’m using it on a BGE. I’ve tried the fan vent blocker at almost all settings. It is great for getting your fire up to temp for grilling too.

I use a WSM and turn it on as soon as I put to hot coals from the chimney starter on the other charcoal. Most of the time it rarely overshoots temp

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chad Sexington posted:

I've only done three cooks on the WSM now but all three have gotten pretty good rings. My understanding is that it doesn't affect flavor though?

Correct. You could smoke in an electric, get no ring, and the food tastes the same.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pulled my brisket and it’s holding in a cooler now. Think it will be ok hanging out for four hours until dinner? What should I do if it drops below 140?

Also, should I cut the entire thing into slices before freezing the leftovers or leave it in a chunk?

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 24, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It took me 8 hours to get a 14 pounder down to 120°F wrapped and put in a cooler to refrigerate immediately. I'd think you'd be okay with 4 hours.

Absolutely cut it before freezing Seperate into single servings as well before freezing so you don't have to wait hours to thaw a chunk of meat just to have a little.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

nwin posted:

Pulled my brisket and it’s holding in a cooler now. Think it will be ok hanging out for four hours until dinner? What should I do if it drops below 140?

Also, should I cut the entire thing into slices before freezing the leftovers or leave it in a chunk?

I bet it will be fine, but if you're worried you could warm your oven up to the lowest setting and leave it in there instead of the cooler.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Grandito posted:

I bet it will be fine, but if you're worried you could warm your oven up to the lowest setting and leave it in there instead of the cooler.

Yeah it was warm at least. We ate it at 145 so that wasn’t an issue.

We weren’t impressed. The point was dry as could be and the flat had fat which wasn’t rendered. The seasoning was way too heavy on the pepper which I know you should expect with a Texas rub. I think it was the bad beef rub from amazing ribs. Parts of the point reminded me of peppered jerky...crumbly and very peppery and dry.

I dunno what went wrong. It was a prime cut of brisket and it cooked from about 9 pm to 12 pm the next day. The only way I strayed from amazing ribs is I didn’t crutch it. The temps seemed to be working in my favor and it got out of the stall in time where I didn’t need to crutch. I think if I would have crutched, maybe the flat wouldn’t have dried out as much but that doesn’t answer why the fat didn’t render enough on the point.

Also shocked at how small a smoke ring I got using post oak and a decent amount at that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am by no means a pro, but going from your previous posts it sounds like you cranked it up to get through the stall? I wonder if that could have contributed. I found that when I did hotter, my brisket dried out too much before it was done. I saw you didn't crutch, which I do think makes it easier to not dry out. Did you inject? Did you use a water pan? Those are all things that seem to help me.

I'm also convinced that the flat and point just need to be cooked differently. I don't know if that's sacrilege or what, but I feel like I can nail the point every time and have the flat dried out consistently.

[edit: I do have to separate my flat and point to cook, so maybe it works better if they are still attached.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 24, 2021

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
St. Louis ribs on the bullet smoker today!

Three hours smoking over apple wood. Wrapped for two hours, then unwrapped for an hour. Came out very good and insanely tender. Unfortunately these are “apology ribs” so I couldn’t have more than a little taste :suicide:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Internet Explorer posted:

I am by no means a pro, but going from your previous posts it sounds like you cranked it up to get through the stall? I wonder if that could have contributed. I found that when I did hotter, my brisket dried out too much before it was done. I saw you didn't crutch, which I do think makes it easier to not dry out. Did you inject? Did you use a water pan? Those are all things that seem to help me.

I'm also convinced that the flat and point just need to be cooked differently. I don't know if that's sacrilege or what, but I feel like I can nail the point every time and have the flat dried out consistently.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah you’re correct that I cranked it to 275 for an hour or two to get through the stall. I injected beef broth and used a water pan. The fat was trimmed as best I could to 1/4” all around, but there were some spots I hit meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's my first attempt at a brisket

Not bad but drier than I'd like. Flavor is good and very tender so I can complain about that. I did it at 275 since it was just the flat. I think 250 would have been better. Not unhappy with my first attempt though I had some trouble keeping the heat going. Seemed like my coals died.