Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Does bluray work for WWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MJeff posted:

Who do you think was bagging up all the fired wrestler gear?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

That would be less sad than them being a easily used free patsy.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Super No Vacancy posted:

fondly remembering when people sat behind dave at the last real mania weekend and took creepshots of his text notifications from lars sullivan

What???

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

davidbix posted:

What makes it extra-frustrating is that his motives are in the right place in discussing body image stuff, and he's been pretty consistent in that for a LONG time; at least two decades. But he often has trouble distinguishing the right way to talk about it or when to make the call not to talk about it. So he's probably best off not talking about it at all at this point.

Extremely well said. If he said what he actually meant instead of his loving word salad code, these dramas wouldn’t come up.

‘WWE puts a lot of pressure on women to get cosmetic work done’ is verifiably true.

It’s seeming true more often with men as well!

He just has to trip over his dick and speak in his little riddles.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Big Dave needs like a month off of wrestling full stop.

Just don't watch it, don't write about it. Try and get a normal sleep cycle, reset his brain.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

davidbix posted:

What makes it extra-frustrating is that his motives are in the right place in discussing body image stuff, and he's been pretty consistent in that for a LONG time; at least two decades. But he often has trouble distinguishing the right way to talk about it or when to make the call not to talk about it. So he's probably best off not talking about it at all at this point. Though I'm assuming there could be more context missing from the clip based on who was tweeting it originally.

Also: Charlotte invoking "You have my number!" is smart because it shows she's not bullshitting at all.

I think it's also annoying because the two will likely hash it out in private (entirely reasonable), but then never tell anyone so the only record is Charlotte being mad.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Big Dave needs like a month off of wrestling full stop.

Just don't watch it, don't write about it. Try and get a normal sleep cycle, reset his brain.

Minimum 3. Has the man ever taken a real break?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Love to see Dave atop his mountain of Divorce paperwork.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mkay0 posted:

Extremely well said. If he said what he actually meant instead of his loving word salad code, these dramas wouldn’t come up.

‘WWE puts a lot of pressure on women to get cosmetic work done’ is verifiably true.

It’s seeming true more often with men as well!

He just has to trip over his dick and speak in his little riddles.

I dunno if it's just because I'm fluent in Dave but this didn't seem anywhere close to as cryptic as the Peyton thing to me. It was pretty clear.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Eat My Fuc posted:

Love to see Dave atop his mountain of Divorce paperwork.

The wife got the tape shed in the divorce!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
What Dave said - that WWE pressures women to change their look - has been brought up on this very forum multiple times and there is a consensus that what he said is true. Very strange times here.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
He could also just not immediately leap from "taking time off for dental work" to "she's changing her whole look". Cavities are a thing and veneers are a lot of upkeep. But also no one needs to know any of this. No one needs to know literally anything about a wrestler taking time off because it doesn't loving matter! It's for no one to know ever because it's all personal and is harmful to speculate about every single time!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Psychepath posted:

He could also just not immediately leap from "taking time off for dental work" to "she's changing her whole look". Cavities are a thing and veneers are a lot of upkeep. But also no one needs to know any of this. No one needs to know literally anything about a wrestler taking time off because it doesn't loving matter! It's for no one to know ever because it's all personal and is harmful to speculate about every single time!

You can look at pictures of her dude, she has had lots of cosmetic surgery/work done very obviously

It's a cosmetic business especially in WWE's eyes (where, again, it's completely widely known and verified that wwe pressures (formally and informally) their female workers to get cosmetic surgery)

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

who cares about this when on wor today dave said that it was a good thing that triple h took the top off the cage for the war games. insanity

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It's very stupid that all the bad faith critiques of Dave for misogyny are in defense of Actual Rapist Vince McMahon and his billion dollar company. Or when WWE stooge Ryan "I worked with literal white supremacist Joe Arpaio and helped him achieve his goals" Satin tries to cancel him for being racist against Hispanic people. It obscures any legit criticism good faith actors might have of Meltzer.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Seams posted:

What Dave said - that WWE pressures women to change their look - has been brought up on this very forum multiple times and there is a consensus that what he said is true. Very strange times here.

Again, what Dave said is that Charlotte Flair is getting cosmetic surgery specifically because of external pressure to look a certain way. Charlotte Flair is a human being who is allowed to get mad at a media figure for casually tossing out his beliefs on why she's getting dental surgery without contacting her, especially when it's someone who obviously has a professional relationship with her dad and probably to some extent with her, too.

She has repeatedly established that she does not care for people talking about her looks / her surgeries:

https://twitter.com/MsCharlotteWWE/status/1282443811776393218

https://twitter.com/MsCharlotteWWE/status/1381966855229763588

Again, it's completely fair to talk about the hosed up pressure WWE specifically — and the wrestling world, entertainment industry and just...humanity more generally — creates for women to look a certain way. However, if you are a woman trying to navigate a hosed-up society and you make a decision to get a certain procedure done, and then you hear a man who is a respected figure in your industry just shoot from the hip and go "Oh yeah, this specific person is getting work done, she's getting all her poo poo made over, wrestling sure does a number on broads and their appearances," it seems like something that would justifiably piss you off

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Psychepath posted:

Addressing why a main event performer is off tv is absolutely an acceptable thing to report on.

Dave honestly cuts the workers much more slack than actual sports analysts do with athletes. If Kyrie Irving (or whoever) was healthy and not playing in the playoffs, it would be the biggest sports story of the decade that wasn’t covid.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

good post jay.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I think we can all agree that Dave gets a lot of undue poo poo from people both in the industry and in the fanbase for various reasons. I think that sometimes, people (including Dave himself) use that fact to deflect real criticisms away and lump them into that first pile. The big issue is where that line is, between the real criticisms and the bullshit.

My big issue tho is people in this thread have been using this argument to post some sexist poo poo about Charlotte Flair.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Super No Vacancy posted:

fondly remembering when people sat behind dave at the last real mania weekend and took creepshots of his text notifications from lars sullivan
...what?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lol this is 100% WWE doing their pr distraction poo poo and you're all idiots for falling for it. Dave made a perfectly reasonable point and you're all getting mad at the messenger for not prefacing it with 50 disclaimers that pedophile fan VCR wrestling would have cut out anyway.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol this is 100% WWE doing their pr distraction poo poo and you're all idiots for falling for it. Dave made a perfectly reasonable point and you're all getting mad at the messenger for not prefacing it with 50 disclaimers that pedophile fan VCR wrestling would have cut out anyway.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

except im not calling anyone an idiot i love you all.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SonyaDevilleWWE/status/1385342178596098052

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I do not wish I could be Charlotte Flair

JOHN CENA posted:

except im not calling anyone an idiot i love you all.

You can love idiots

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
You think it's reasonable for a media figure to casually declare why a person he covers is electing to get surgery without contacting that person?

Maybe WWE sucks and the weird old man with a long-rear end track record of poorly handling topics related to women hosed up. It's bizarre to go "lol WWE cultists" when you're basically saying no criticism of Dave Meltzer could ever have merit if it's being levied by a WWE employee

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

I do not wish I could be Charlotte Flair

You can love idiots

i watch survivor im an expert at loving idiots

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

xbilkis posted:

You think it's reasonable for a media figure to casually declare why a person he covers is electing to get surgery without contacting that person?

His job is to cover the wrestling industry and why a top star is leaving is a story in the wrestling industry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I’m not sure Dave wants to be Charlotte Flair

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
he did give andrade 5 stars

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Gonzo McFee posted:

His job is to cover the wrestling industry and why a top star is leaving is a story in the wrestling industry.

The story is "Charlotte Flair is getting dental surgery," not "Charlotte Flair is getting made over because she feels self conscious about her appearance because of how the wrestling industry affects women"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

xbilkis posted:

The story is "Charlotte Flair is getting dental surgery," not "Charlotte Flair is getting made over because she feels self conscious about her appearance because of how the wrestling industry affects women"

WWE and the wrestling industry putting pressure on women to look a certain way is literally the bigger story and the correct framing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

xbilkis posted:

Maybe WWE sucks and the weird old man with a long-rear end track record of poorly handling topics related to women hosed up. It's bizarre to go "lol WWE cultists" when you're basically saying no criticism of Dave Meltzer could ever have merit if it's being levied by a WWE employee

Maybe you should not take one tweet as the only thing you know about dave meltzer and Charlotte flair's relationship, when she has literally known her since she was a little kid

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Gonzo McFee posted:

WWE and the wrestling industry putting pressure on women to look a certain way is literally the bigger story and the correct framing.

Yes, the WWE is absolutely guilty of perpetuating that, however the "ideal feminine body" is a far larger issue stemming from a myriad of sources in the media. Dave's using WWE as a scapegoat here to absolve himself, as he did when apologizing to Peyton Royce in 2018. "I mean, it's their fault for pushing this."

He is theorizing Charlotte's motives for whatever she's getting done, and frankly that's none of his business, and the specifics are not news. No one should be trying to determine anyone else's struggles with body image/acceptance, let alone so clearly focused on women.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 23, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Evil Badman posted:

Yes, the WWE is absolutely guilty of perpetuating that, however the "ideal feminine body" is a far larger issue stemming from a myriad of sources in the media. Dave's using it as a scapegoat here to absolve himself, as he did when apologizing to Peyton Royce in 2018. "I mean, it's their fault for pushing this."

He is theorizing Charlotte's motives for whatever she's getting done, and frankly that's none of his business, and the specifics are not news. No one should be trying to determine anyone else's struggles with body image/acceptance, let alone so clearly focused on women.

He was right about Peyton Royce as well.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I mean, if his motive is to put WWE on blast for their harmful superficiality, that's fine, he could've left Charlotte's name out of it, or just alluded to it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's a bigger story, but unless the clip is lacking major context, Dave mentioned it as something specific to Charlotte as a brief aside during him explaining why she was off TV. The way it's framed is robbing a woman of all agency in a decision she's making about her body, and unless you have really good sourcing to make that claim, it's a hosed-up thing to say.

You can discuss an issue like this without pointing the finger at one person and saying "Her self-image is warped by the wrestling industry and that's why she's doing the things she's doing!" Hell, there are women who are on the record about how WWE forced them to get surgery or tossed them aside because they didn't meet certain physical standards; covering the company's awful handling of this stuff does not require you to speculate on the thought process of a woman who is subject to a ton of public scrutiny about her appearance and has openly said she does not like that.

GoutPatrol posted:

Maybe you should not take one tweet as the only thing you know about dave meltzer and Charlotte flair's relationship, when she has literally known her since she was a little kid

Why should I not take Charlotte Flair saying "It's messed up that you said this without even contacting me directly" seriously? What info about their relationship would make me see that in a different light? Does him knowing her since childhood somehow make that less bad?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Gonzo McFee posted:

He was right about Peyton Royce as well.

This is also a bad thing for media figures to say about a woman, by the way! Please stop defending a prominent journalist offering armchair commentary on women's bodies just because you dislike the company that employs the people who are criticizing him

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

When WWE forces women to get cosmetic surgery does the company pay for it, or is it like how people have to rent their own cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lone Goat posted:

When WWE forces women to get cosmetic surgery does the company pay for it, or is it like how people have to rent their own cars?

A quick search turns up Brie Bella saying they wanted to pay her to get implants. Serena Deeb talked about how she felt like she needed to get surgery just to get signed (and then did get hired by WWE within six months), so that was presumably at her own expense. Bad stuff!