Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just random early thoughts:

The black bars during cutscenes are odd because they’re translucent and the bottom one is way bigger than the top one

Default camera sensitivity is way too low, you’re probably gonna wanna turn that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Decided to check in at 11pm EST to see if i could preload the game and it just said "Coming 23 Apr, 2021"

Decided to check back in at 2am EST to see if i could load the game and

alright whatever

e: store page says it unlocks in 9 hours, so i dunno what's going on in my library but it's fine, i'll just DL it while i'm working tomorrow

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 23, 2021

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

Decided to check in at 11pm EST to see if i could preload the game and it just said "Coming 23 Apr, 2021"

alright whatever
Honestly its extremely hosed up that Automata has a colon in its title but Replicant doesn't.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Ainsley McTree posted:

alright whatever

e: store page says it unlocks in 9 hours, so i dunno what's going on in my library but it's fine, i'll just DL it while i'm working tomorrow

The store page says it unlocks in about 9 hours. Kinda annoying that on top of maybe being a bum port, they can't even coordinate on releasing alongside the consoles.

efb by the dang post I was quoting

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fuckin making me wait for the store to update at 6pm to download God knows how big of a game is a real way to test my patience

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Like 70% of the male NPCs in the village are voiced by Matt Mercer lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jkyuusai posted:

The store page says it unlocks in about 9 hours. Kinda annoying that on top of maybe being a bum port, they can't even coordinate on releasing alongside the consoles.

efb by the dang post I was quoting

This is the case with basically every Steam release these days. I get that logistically unlocking in every timezone at midnight would be a pain (and could cause a VPN user to play a game entire hours early) but plenty of other storefronts do it. Shite it is.

At least I'm working until six so it won't affect me. It'd be nice to be able to preload though...

stev fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 23, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Fuckin making me wait for the store to update at 6pm to download God knows how big of a game is a real way to test my patience

Its ~28gb on PS4 at least.

People weren’t kidding when they said crank the camera speeds, the default is the slowest camera imaginable and there are somehow a couple of notches below it that are clearly just there as a joke, I’m not even going to try them.

It also has like 12 different sliders you need to adjust because it accounts for every possible type of camera movement on both axes.

Edit: my white snow edition just turned up and lol at anyone who has the physical PC edition

I refunded the dude who bought the key from me because holy poo poo it’s 2021 and I don’t even have an optical drive, it’s a good thing I’m playing on console already or I’d be screwed until I got a usb one for literally just this purpose.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 23, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Need your advice on whether do you think I might like it. I liked Nier: A for exactly 3 things: music, ability to enable autofight on characters and watch it, 9S story ark and voice acting. Do you guys think Replicant will be for me?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm only a hour and a half in and I will say yes. I hate video game music but have been impressed with the music in this so far.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sekenr posted:

Need your advice on whether do you think I might like it. I liked Nier: A for exactly 3 things: music, ability to enable autofight on characters and watch it, 9S story ark and voice acting. Do you guys think Replicant will be for me?

It has all those things except 9S but yeah play it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Classic NieR moment of finding a dungeon-esque area and realising I’m gonna have to explore it probably at least 10 times before the game is over

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cool, thanks!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

It definitely feels like ocarina of time though which I guess is the joke

Tell me what you think about the Temple of Drifting Sands when you get there. :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Downloading now. Here we goooo :unsmigghh:

One yes or no possibly spoilerish question: does the new ending require 100% completion? Actually, what does 100% even get you in Nier Replicant?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Obv I have no idea what it was like in the original game but fishing in this one is real easy at least

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Pollyanna posted:

Downloading now. Here we goooo :unsmigghh:

One yes or no possibly spoilerish question: does the new ending require 100% completion? Actually, what does 100% even get you in Nier Replicant?

You only need all weapons for endings. Actual 100% gets you nothing and should only be done if you think slamming your head against a brick wall until you bleed constitutes a fun Saturday night.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Escobarbarian posted:

Obv I have no idea what it was like in the original game but fishing in this one is real easy at least

Where the hell is your avatar from?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kinda upset that the new generation of Nier fans won't get to appreciate Papa Nier tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Where the hell is your avatar from?

Revolutionary Girl Utena! Watched it with a couple of goons last year

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BisbyWorl posted:

You only need all weapons for endings. Actual 100% gets you nothing and should only be done if you think slamming your head against a brick wall until you bleed constitutes a fun Saturday night.

Haha yeah gently caress that.

MiddleOne posted:

Kinda upset that the new generation of Nier fans won't get to appreciate Papa Nier tbh.

No papa Nier??? :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1385273944865873922?s=19

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pollyanna posted:

Just brother Nier

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Papa Nier is in Nier Gestalt, which was the Xbox exclusive original, that was mainly made because it's easier to sell a big beef boy as a protagonist to the West than a pretty anime boy.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

was there anything special for getting all weapon stories in Automata? I never even though about filling them out

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Papa Nier owns though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

was there anything special for getting all weapon stories in Automata? I never even though about filling them out

Nope.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A trophy maybe

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought you needed to unlock the bonus boss fights.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

okay, sweet. I was gonna be mad if there was an ending or something hidden behind them all these years that I hadn't known about

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fully upgrading all of them unlocks the final bonus boss. (and by extension Ending Y)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just fell over and broke a thing I was trying to deliver because I went within 5 metres of a deer. God dammit Taro

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Escobarbarian posted:

Just fell over and broke a thing I was trying to deliver because I went within 5 metres of a deer. God dammit Taro

Bless.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Papa Nier will be in some DLC/side content according to the release trailer. And apparently there is going to be some extra story stuff added after ending E, but that might be the aforementioned DLC/side content.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It sounds like you can sort of play as him as part of some DLC content that's bundled into the remake? I never played that DLC in the original so I don't really know what this means, but this review describes it as such:

quote:

Many western fans only ever played NieR Gestalt and are fond of the old, gruff dad as the main character. Unfortunately, Replicant ver.1.22 does not allow players to use him for the main adventure - but, everyone’s favorite dad is indeed playable thanks to the original NieR’s 15 Nightmares DLC now included with Replicant ver.1.22. This DLC had always allowed players to play the “other” version of the titular character, so Gestalt could play as the older brother and Replicant could play as the dad. The caveat was that it wasn’t voiced… until now. Fans of Papa Nier may not be able to venture with him much, but he isn’t totally lost to time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Papa Nier is cooler but im really glad it's Replicant getting remade and not Gestalt because Replicant didnt get a worldwide release previously. If you're gonna remake one it might as well be the one less people had a chance to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Speaking of the PC version, its sounding kind of dire.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1385207601726644225

Special-K solves all of those issues out of the box, fortunately.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BisbyWorl posted:

Um it gives me a platinum

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Gutcruncher posted:

Papa Nier is cooler but im really glad it's Replicant getting remade and not Gestalt because Replicant didnt get a worldwide release previously. If you're gonna remake one it might as well be the one less people had a chance to play.

And as much as I miss Papa Nier, Brother Nier seems alright.

drat it is good to play this game again. Nier Gestalt was the only game that I really, really *missed* when I had to get rid of my 360 as things rolled over to the previous gen. And it always bummed me out that it never got added to the backwards compatibility list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

epic sad dads are boring give me raiden