Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Seventh Sea Chancers

Eyyyyy, over .200!

Get Dewey the gently caress off my team, bring up Caruthers to replace him.

Bring up Danny Mendick as DH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Sub-Par League 18: Gauntlet Round 4

EC Pick 'Em: SUB-PAR BOWL 18 (best of 7, pick winner and final score)
Luna Landers vs Titanic Deck Chairs

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
If I could receive official confirmation on whether Clown Fundamentals is killing his EC team or not, that'd be nice.

If the team is being dispersed, this would be the final round of the Gauntlet.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Another one bites the dust...

Sorry for being absent most of the season.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

San Juan was a good team

Izzysaurus
Mar 20, 2021
I'm not sure why the "Use same lineup vs. lefty and righty pitchers" box is still checked off when I have two different lineups depending. Could just be be unsure of how the program works :)

Izzysaurus
Mar 20, 2021
Onigiri Hedgehogs

Dave Concepcion in for Appling at SS because of Appling's boo-boo.

Versus lefties only: Konerko at 1B, Rose at 3B

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Harlock posted:

San Juan was a good team

nice of you to say. I wish it was living on, I feel like I could've built on it. oh well, maybe my third try at working with the feeders will continue to improve on the previous ones

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The outlaws are trading their Bob Gibson for my Albert pujols.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

FairGame posted:

The outlaws are trading their Bob Gibson for my Albert pujols.

Confirmed once FairGame tells me the year so I can put it on my sheet.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CirclMastr posted:

Confirmed once FairGame tells me the year so I can put it on my sheet.

It's a 2007 Pujols for a 1965 Gibson

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Titanic Deck Chairs in 7, 4-1

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Don May, August 4, 2011 posted:

SIX ERRORS SINK W'S, BOBBLEHEADS WIN 12-6

Chicago- The Eazy W's always seem to be involved in the most bizarre games.

A month after their 24-18 loss at Framingham, the W's managed to lose a game as a result of six errors, an extraordinary number that led to six unearned runs, the margin of victory for the Bobbleheads.

The infield was responsible for four errors alone, as every throw seemed to become an adventure. This reached a nadir in the bottom of the eighth as Maury Wills and Steve Sax combined to make errors on three out of four plays, throwing errors all. First baseman Lou Gehrig, who, as a result of misthrows, had throws hit him in the face, the shin, and, on one unfortunate occasion, his left testicle, took it in stride. "Well, it's not like this is the worst thing that's every happened to me."

...roughly ten years later...

Super-League XXX, Finals: South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Towa City Demon Hunters

: Yoshida, I don't think I need to remind you of the stakes of this series.
: That's right! It's the W's last ride! Can we go out as champions?
: What? Oh, yeah, great. No, more importantly, if the W's win, I don't have do a Macho Man series. That's the real prize.

: The following contest, scheduled for the best of seven games, is for the SUPER-LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD! Introducing first, the challengers, from Towa City, which I presume is in Japan, they are the Dynamo League Champions, the fomenters of sorrow, the Towa City Demon Hunters! And their opponents, in their final series, they are the five-time reigning and defending Super-League Champions of the World, from Bolton, Lancashire, England, they are...were the Team Eternal of the Super-League, introducing, for the last time, the South Bolton Eazy W's!

Game 1: South Bolton Eazy W's @ Towa City Demon Hunters (Series Tied 0-0)

: To be clear, there is no good way to deal with the Demon Hunters in Towa City. There is a powerful synergy between the roster and the engineering of the stadium. I'm not going in here and expecting my deadballers to win most of the time. I just need one win, and then hold on in Bolton.
: Is there a better way to contain the Demon Hunters?
: Theoretically, a high-strikeout right-hander can feast on the fact that a lot of the Demon Hunters' players will swing and miss a fair amount. On the other hand, just like in real life, striking a guy out doesn't do you much good if he hits a dinger the next at-bat. Deadballers try and take advantage of the fact that they can keep the ball in the park. But, as seen in this game, it's not a perfect solution.

Game 2: South Bolton Eazy W's @ Towa City Demon Hunters (TOW Leads 1-0)

: But hell, sometimes it works.
: Not great hitting from the W's, though.
: That's true, the Demon Hunters had more baserunners. But, you know what, you take the wins where you can find them. The fact that Pete Alexander only gave up one run meant that even a very bad offensive performance from the W's was survivable. And now, we just have to hold serve in Bolton. WANDERLEI, THE SINISTER KNIGHT, RISE!

Game 3: Towa City Demon Hunters @ South Bolton Eazy W's (Series Tied 1-1)

: We're on track.
: 168 pitches for Wanderlei?
: The W's have no tomorrows, and we have plenty of duct tape to fix his arm.
: But the reactor on his arm is leaking!
: Don't worry, it's a Tokamak reactor, it just stops working if it's disrupted, it doesn't melt down.

Game 4: Towa City Demon Hunters @ South Bolton Eazy W's (SLA Leads 2-1)

: Oh, gently caress.
: OH NO!
: And now the Demon Hunters have home-field advantage again. I don't know why I left Steve Carlton in the rotation. A left-hander facing that lineup? It was foolish of me, and it showed a true lack of imagination, and it might just cost the W's this series.
: Well, Smasher, you can't blame yourself.
: I decided who would pitch for the W's, and am more aware of how pitching in the Super-League works than literally anyone else on the planet. So, yes, I really can. If this whole thing gets botched because I made a mistake, I really don't want to deal with it. I can't deal with it.

Game 5: Towa City Demon Hunters @ South Bolton Eazy W's (Series Tied 2-2)

: A win, but not one that does me much good. I still need one more win in Towa City.
: By the way, what is Towa City a reference to?
: As a matter of principle, I refuse to look it up.

Game 6: South Bolton Eazy W's @ Towa City Demon Hunters (SLA Leads 3-2)

: From a purely practical perspective, have my deadballers go 1-2 in Towa City is still acceptable. Sort of. Kind of. Kids, don't count on winning a lot of games in Towa City.
: But we still have to win one more!
: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTka-Bi7l3A]To me, Wanderlei, one last time[url]! DEATH OR GLORY! ...no, wait...DEATH AND GLORY!

Game 7: South Bolton Eazy W's @ Towa City Demon Hunters (Series Tied 3-3)

: It's over! The W's win! In their final game of existence, the W's win!
: TheMcD should have known that Jeff Kent and Jonathan Papelbon would never lead him to happiness. But what happens now?
: Who can say what the future holds? Maybe the Demon Hunters will thrive in a league where the W's no longer stand in their way. Perhaps the Rakers will finally take their place among the elite. It's even possible that the Generics actually finish well above .500.
: Really?
: Yes, Yoshida. The future is unwritten. Granted, I'm not thrilled that I'll have to write about it when it becomes the present, but until then, the possibilities are endless. And that's all I really want to say right now. It has been, as always, a very long season. So, one last time, glory to the W's, and may they rest in peace.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

congrats to whoever was slated to be in the final gauntlet round as you all get a bye now. All that's left is the subpar-bowl tomorrow HOSTED BY CHILLY MCFREEZE ON TWITCH DOT TV TOMORROW AFTERNOON DONT MISS IT and the rest of the EC and super-league 30 is in the books :toot:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now that the season is over, I have an announcement to make. It has come to my attention that my team’s name might be considered problematic. As such, they will now be referred to as the Winnipeg Baseball Team, Est. 2014.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 24, 2021

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Winnipeg Airport Not-Havers

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Izzysaurus posted:

I'm not sure why the "Use same lineup vs. lefty and righty pitchers" box is still checked off when I have two different lineups depending. Could just be be unsure of how the program works :)

That's just a quirk of the script. Your leftie and rightie lineups are in there correctly.

Congrats W's. Forever W's.

I am now going to miss the Sub-Par Bowl due to getting my vaccine--will it be saved as a VOD?

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
For formality's sake, the W's winning the finals means Monicro now officially wins pick-'em.

Ginge fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 24, 2021

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

THE RIGHT TEAM WON.

I am excited for the SUB PAR BOWL

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm gonna start streaming in 15 minutes! Wow!!!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We are LIVE.

e: Everyone needs to watch this if just for the amazing intros McFreeze put together.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 24, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ted Williams DID disappoint.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Ted Williams loving sucks at baseball

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Remember when it was exciting and the Landers were maybe gonna tie the series up in the 9th inning, and then the game crashed, and the Landers never did anything else good

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Expansion Cup September

The final regular season update for the EC is here.

Buntingville Bastards

You have a decent team that got better as time went on. Hope for better luck in the Sub-Par with your actual name.

Center Line Sneki Sneks

Congrats! Your hitting definitely carried you, so, if you win the finals, get a good pitcher.

Centralia Corgies

Ichiro with the lowest OBA in the lineup sunk this team? No, that can't be right. I refuse to believe it.

Florida Dickshots

Nice.

Izzy's Onigiri Hedgehogs

Agonizingly close. Even a perfect final week couldn't get you 2nd.

San Lorenzo Bokononists

Tank better next time!

Seventh Sea Chancers

George Kell is probably the only person to keep from this mess. I'd track down TheMcD's attempt at making a good roster out of your feeders, and start there.

Stick Club Appellation Hither

As this team learned what stick club game they were signed up for, they got better and better at baseball. Hope they understand what it is for when the Sub-Par season starts.

Suez Tugboats

A really good team whose biggest hole is at owner. I don't think I've seen Chamale post in an SL context after making the roster in the signup thread, nor did they join the Discord.

The Clown Team

Hope you feel well enough to join us again, one day, CF.

Congrats to cbx and Chamale. I'd like to run the finals on Monday, so if you can get your rosters in by the end of this weekend, I'd be able to do so. It'll be a 7 game series with everyone available since I didn't set up the playoffs correctly before starting the EC.

The stakes: winner gets automatic promotion to the Super League, and a prize player.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Sneki Sneks

Playoff Lineups:
vs RHP

Billy Rogell - 3B
Mickey Cochrane - C
Babe Ruth - LF
Hank Greenberg - 1B
Larry Walker - RF
Charlie Gehringer - 2B
Goose Goslin - DH
Moises Alou - CF
Roger Peckinpaugh - SS

vs LHP
Moises Alou - CF
Charlie Gehringer - 2B
Babe Ruth - LF
Larry Walker - RF
Mickey Cochrane - C
Goose Goslin - DH
Hank Greenberg - 1B
Billy Rogell - 3B
Roger Peckinpaugh - SS

Playoffs Pitching Rotation:

Carl Mays
Pedro Martinez
Elden Auker
Tommy Bridges

Bullpen
CL: John Wetteland
SU: Mel Rojas
SR: Gil Heredia
SR: Jeff Shaw
MR: Ken Hill
LR: Jack Quinn
LR: Schoolboy Rowe

Sneki is love. Sneki is life. All Hail Sneki Snek!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Archival Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2CW5aSU-A

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Expansion Cup Finals

With both the lame Super League finals and Sub Par Bowl out of the way, we can get down to the series everyone came here for. It's the Expansion Cup Finals!

In one corner, we have a longtime suffering Super League owner that's also a longtime suffering Detroit Tigers fan. Instead of embracing his city's love of the big cat, this time cbx went for the small, cute Sneki Snek, and has seen his team demolished the hell out of the baseball on his way to a second-place finish in the EC. Despite finishing second, because I didn't set up the original save file correctly and had to redo a four team league, the Center Line Sneki Sneks will have home field advantage for this series. Sorry!

In the other corner, we have a new owner that has cruised through the entirety of the EC as the clear best team in the league, even though the name of the Suez Tugboats would suggest the exact opposite. It's really rare to see an EC team with so few holes. Yes, the bullpen is sketchy, but every one of the players on the starting lineup and rotation have all seen moderate-to-heavy Super League success. The Tugboats won the EC division by eight games, but their pythag record says they could've easily won by 10+. They are the favorites in this series.

The Sneks strike ace Walter Johnson early for three runs, and the Sneks just barely hang on. The Tugboats did hit three homeruns, and only gave up two extra basehits, both doubles, so they have some positives to hang their hats on in this close loss.

The Tugboats are clinging on to a 6-4 lead going into the bottom of the ninth, and they immediately walk Charlie Gehringer to bring up Babe Ruth with the game-tying run on his stick. That's less than ideal. Also less than ideal is sending out Kevin Brown to face Ruth. Yet the crazy plan works, and Ruth goes down swinging. But the game's not over, and Brown walks Larry Walker to bring the winning run to the plate and only one out. And Mickey Cochrane is an absolute threat. Brown gets away with his blunder by getting Cochrane to hit into a double play, and the Tugboats even the series as it goes to Suez.

Game 3 shows why people in the SL still believe in Pedro. He pitches an absolute gem of a game, throwing 13 Ks and giving up three hits and no runs to the dynamic Snek offense. Yet the Mogul Manager pulls him for Brown in the 9th because he's thrown 120 pitches in 8 innings. Brown immediately gives up a double to Cochrane and again gives Babe Ruth the opportunity to tie the game. And again he gets Ruth out--this time on a lineout on a 2-0 count. Hank Greenberg hits a single to make it runners at the corners with one out, but Brown gets a huge strikeout of Larry Walker to put the Sneks to their final out. Charlie Gehringer hits a single to right to make it 2-1 and give the Sneks life.

Gehringer then takes away said life by getting caught stealing second to end the game, and Kevin Brown is bailed out yet again as the Tugboats win the game 2-1, and lead the series 2-1.

Curt Schilling gets a loving easy 9-2 win for the Tugboats? Goddammit, Smasher's gonna have my head for this one. The Tugboats hit 6 home runs off of cbx's Pedro who just did not get the same flyout luck that the Tugboats' Pedro had in game 3. This makes it a 3-1 series lead for the Tugboats, and they still have game 5 at home where they should look to finish off the Sneks.

Game 5 pits Walter Johnson vs. Elden Auker. I'm sure Auker was a nice man who could really toss the ol' baseball in his day, but that is an absolute mismatch, and does not bode well for the Sneks. The Sneks have a great chance to jump all over Johnson in the 1st when they load the bases with nobody out, but fail to score more than one run, and Johnson does his job the rest of the way as the Tugboat offense slowly pulls away. Larry Walker's three-run homerun in the bottom of the 8th made it 8-2, and Rod Beck finished off the Sneks easily to win the series, and Expansion Cup Finals.

Congrats to Chamale for winning the EC! You'll be promoted to the Super League right away, and will receive a special prize player! But you only get those things if you post in this thread!!!!!!

Pungry fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 27, 2021

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Of course.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Now that that's over it's time to ring in the offseason the only way I know how: a trade

San Lorenzo Bokononists Receive:

2016 Ben Zobrist

Mexico City Machine Guns Receive:

The undying power of friendship

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Monicro posted:

Now that that's over it's time to ring in the offseason the only way I know how: a trade

San Lorenzo Bokononists Receive:

2016 Ben Zobrist

Mexico City Machine Guns Receive:

The undying power of friendship

accepted

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Feel like I need to try and obtain Eri Yoshida.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TRADE MADNESS

Mexico City Machine Elves send:
1917 Babe Ruth
1911 Ed Walsh

Seventh Sea Chancers send:
First overall pick of the Dispersal Draft

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

TRADE MADNESS

Mexico City Machine Elves send:
1917 Babe Ruth
1911 Ed Walsh

Seventh Sea Chancers send:
First overall pick of the Dispersal Draft

Affirm.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That is certainly TRADE MADNESS.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i go hard in the paint

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Well then

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
On my lunch break I ran down when each Eazy W debuted, because I am a nerd.

SL1
1926 Babe Ruth (the only W to start every season for the team)
1961 Duke Snider
SL2
No One
SL3
1985 Howard Johnson
SL4
2003 Mark Bellhorn
2004 Scott Rolen
1986 Kirk Gibson
1925 Burleigh Grimes
1951 Vic Raschi (might have left the team at some point?)
1929 Al Simmons
SL5
1986 Lou Whitaker
SL6
1999 John Olerud
1913 Pete Alexander
2001 Kazuhiro Sasaki
1902 Cy Young
Eri Yoshida
SL7
2009 Asdrubal Cabrera
1902 Ed Delahanty
1990 Rob Dibble
1982 Ted Simmons
1992 Jack McDowell
SL8
2007 Adam Dunn
SL9
1980 Keith Hernandez
SL10
1991 Cal Ripken
1972 Sparky Lyle
SL11
1993 Tom Glavine
1976 Tommy John
SL12
2008 Carlos Beltran
1988 John Franco
SL13
2010 Victor Martinez
Wanderlei Bolton
1981 Steve Carlton
2007 Jason Isringhausen
SL14
2008 Ichiro Suzuki
2006 Ivan Rodriguez
SL15
1903 Nap Lajoie
2001 Edgar Martinez
SL16
1978 Steve Carlton
SL17
2000 Randy Johnson
2004 Keith Foulke
SL18
1948 Enos Slaughter
1995 Paul Assenmacher
SL19
2015 Aaron Loup
SL20
No one
SL21
1995 Jim Thome
1935 Joe Cronin
1960 Richie Ashburn
SL22
1997 Jim Thome
1995 Robb Nen
SL23
1943 Bill Dickey
SL24
1993 Frank Thomas
SL25
1951 Pee Wee Reese
1956 Sandy Koufax
1901 Kid Nichols
2003 Mike Timlin
SL26
1963 Stan Musial
1895 Willie Keeler
2001 Scott Rolen
SL27
1964 Willie Mays
1984 Ryne Sandberg
2002 Greg Maddux
SL28
2015 Zack Britton
SL29
1969 Johnny Bench
2017 Jose Altuve
SL30
1895 John McGraw
Never appeared in a game:
2013 Justin De Fratus
2013 Mike Trout
2019 Mike Trout
1996 Mike Piazza
1891 Jack Clements

The two W's that I noticed who played a decent number of seasons for the club but are no longer on the team are 2009 Hanley Ramirez and 1988 Dave Smith.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 28, 2021

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Trade Madness continues!

Seventh Sea Chancers Offer:
1917 Babe Ruth

Burns Zephyrs Offer:
1996 Greg Maddux
1910 Honus Wagner
1927 Tris Speaker
1944 Lou Boudreau
2013 Aroldis Chapman
1971 Sparky Lyle
1977 Johnny Bench
1881 Cap Anson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ablative posted:

Trade Madness continues!

Seventh Sea Chancers Offer:
1917 Babe Ruth

Burns Zephyrs Offer:
1996 Greg Maddux
1910 Honus Wagner
1927 Tris Speaker
1944 Lou Boudreau
2013 Aroldis Chapman
1971 Sparky Lyle
1977 Johnny Bench
1881 Cap Anson

Well my CSV is a lot smaller now. Confirmed.