Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1384938371307483138

these are ending in less than 12 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alien Isolation and Hand of Fate 2 are free on EGS this week

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms next week

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/351510/Quiplash/

Quiplash free to keep (over valid until 26th)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

repiv posted:

Alien Isolation and Hand of Fate 2 are free on EGS this week

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms next week

But that's..a free to play game? Do they just give you a stipend of funbucks or something?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The thumbnail says you'll get "$100 value" worth of stuff

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kirbysuperstar posted:

But that's..a free to play game? Do they just give you a stipend of funbucks or something?

Yup

Log on during the week and get a "$100 value" pack of p2w stuff, including 80 lootboxes

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 23, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was going to ask how it was as idlers go, but then i remembered that it apparently has an expansive cash shop. that nicely answers my question.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What is Hands of Fate 2? I claimed it because why not, but what is it?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Skwirl posted:

Procgen deck building game with rng events, skill events, and third person combat ala Arkham Asylum. Overall quite fun for the price.

There's probably more depth to it but that's a fine short explanation.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I have no idea what any of that means but it is free

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Duderclese posted:

Procgen deck building game with rng events, skill events, and third person combat ala Arkham Asylum. Overall quite fun for the price.

There's probably more depth to it but that's a fine short explanation.

Can someone translate this into English?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/486550022910005248?lang=en

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

you build a deck, there are skill checks, where your character's skills matter, rng checks, where a roll of the die matters, and third person combat similar to the arkham batman games.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Can anyone translate this into braille, because looking at it caused me to roll my eyes so hard they fell out of my head and now I'm blind.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

you build a deck, there are skill checks, where your character's skills matter, rng checks, where a roll of the die matters, and third person combat similar to the arkham batman games.

Is it fun and do I need a console controller or will mouse and keyboard work fine?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Idk but I think you fight this guy as the final boss

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Is it fun and do I need a console controller or will mouse and keyboard work fine?

its very fun, it has batman arkham asylum style combat
i think it works better with a controller but if you played batman kb/m it should be fine

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Skwirl posted:

Yes. Mouse and keyboard are what I use and I didn't die in my first three hours of play. So you're probably fine.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Basically Hand of Fate 2 is a few different genres in one:

- Build a deck to influence your possible events, skills, equipment
- Your character goes from point to point on a map, like FTL or Final Fantasy Tactics. Each point is an event of some sort
- If the event is a battle, you'll be put into a small-ish arena where you will face many foes with Arkham-esque combat

That's basically it. I bought it while it was a while ago and it's pretty fun! Definitely worth a shot to see if it sucks you in. I've got some friends who played dozens of hours, but there's something about the pacing that meant that I felt pretty done with it after a few. Still, for free, I think you'll definitely get some enjoyment out of it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
When I hear that its a 'Free to Play' lootbox based game, I figure it should probably be avoided like any other games in its genre.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Artelier posted:

- Your character goes from point to point on a map, like FTL or Final Fantasy Tactics. Each point is an event of some sort
- If the event is a battle, you'll be put into a small-ish arena where you will face many foes with Arkham-esque combat

The deck building thing really sells the game. There are a lot of considerations for how to build your deck for any particular adventure. Some cards a part of meta-quests. Some just give you small free rewards. Some give big rewards but you have to fight for them, but what if you know you're going to have a good item against those specific enemies? Or that you need that specific reward for the main quest of the adventure? It might even be too complex but really you only have to dive deep into this if you want to complete golden objectives for each adventure. You can click autofill if you just want to complete the basic task in an adventure.

Also in addition to combat, there are other agility-based challenges like corridors with traps, rolling the pendulum etc. Those are not just glorified lotteries, they are affected by some stats and user input.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
so far my deck-building strategy has been "just throw in every card with a not-yet-unlocked token" with no thoughts toward strategy

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I loved Hand of Fate 1, but got a little stuck toward mid-game due to certain aspects of the game being kind of half baked. I felt like only 1 or 2 builds were really viable and not much margin for experimentation or error. Either that or I was supposed to be grinding a lot more for permanent upgrades.

I've heard HoF2 corrects a lot of these issues and am looking forward to trying it. I did notice there is a tonne of DLC. Is any worh getting?

Also, am I crazy or didn't the company that made this go out of business and drop support for the game ages ago? Was that situation resolved, because I don't remember half this DLC existing at the time.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 23, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Skwirl posted:

How kid friendly is it?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Xander77 posted:

How kid friendly is it?

Very. It's very basic fantasy and the framing is that you, the protagonist, are traveling in a wagon with a mystical DM. He suggests telling stories to pass the time with a deck of cards, and these stories are the adventures you play.

It feels like a cross between D&D and Fable 8n tone, so it's a fairy tale and not Game of Thrones.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Xander77 posted:

How kid friendly is it?

It has some finishing moves in the combat that can be pretty violent, but not overly gory. Story wise, there's nothing you wouldn't see in a Harry Potter book.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was going to ask how it was as idlers go, but then i remembered that it apparently has an expansive cash shop. that nicely answers my question.

OgNar posted:

When I hear that its a 'Free to Play' lootbox based game, I figure it should probably be avoided like any other games in its genre.

It's a drat shame because the core concept is neat: it's an autobattler where you have to choose the formation of your party based on the skills, for instance one character might boost everyone in their row, another might heal heroes who are a certain distance away from them, a third get become more powerful the fewer heroes are next to them, etc. You need to balance tanks, buffs and DPS to get as far as you can in each stage, and each stage restricts which squares can hold characters to keep things fresh.

The huge, game-destroying problem is the heroes themselves cost money (outside of rotating events) and one of the key forms of advancement, equipment, only comes from lootboxes. So if you try to F2P your stuck with the default party plus a few freebies, which miss out on the main fun of playing with different comps, and even if you stick it out to get new characters for free their lack of equipment means you'll still be heavily limited in how far you can go.

tl;dr: Cool idea ruined by lootboxes

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Artelier posted:

That's basically it. I bought it while it was a while ago and it's pretty fun! Definitely worth a shot to see if it sucks you in. I've got some friends who played dozens of hours, but there's something about the pacing that meant that I felt pretty done with it after a few. Still, for free, I think you'll definitely get some enjoyment out of it.

You had me at deck building, you lost me at Arkham combat.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think I might have had a fever dream about this but I seem to remember that at some point it was possible to play one of the old Worms games online on a browser?

Edit: I mean online with other people.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 23, 2021

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think I might have had a fever dream about this but I seem to remember that at some point it was possible to play one of the old Worms games online on a browser?

Edit: I mean online with other people.

It wasn't a Worms game proper but Gunbound was a very early F2P game from Nexon that had similar elements to Worms.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently the Last Survivor DLC is now bundled when you claim Alien: Isolation for free on Epic. This was just added today, so if you've already bought or claimed Alien: Isolation you'll have to do it again to get the DLC. You don't claim the DLC directly, just claim the main game again and it will automatically add Last Survivor to you account!

Quiplash is free on Steam until the 26th.

Naval Warfare is a new (repeat) IndieGala freebie. [gameplay video]

I'm not sure if these have been posted yet, but Amazon Prime Gaming now has Figment and Iris and the Giant for Prime-havers.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

Apparently the Last Survivor DLC is now bundled when you claim Alien: Isolation for free on Epic. This was just added today, so if you've already bought or claimed Alien: Isolation you'll have to do it again to get the DLC. You don't claim the DLC directly, just claim the main game again and it will automatically add Last Survivor to you account!

Thanks for this!

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Farquar posted:

It has some finishing moves in the combat that can be pretty violent, but not overly gory. Story wise, there's nothing you wouldn't see in a Harry Potter book.

Started playing yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I saw a no blood mode available in the settings.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hand+of+fate+2

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FanaticalMilk posted:

It wasn't a Worms game proper but Gunbound was a very early F2P game from Nexon that had similar elements to Worms.

This is off-topic for the thread but I remember Jagex, the runescape company, made their own f2p browser-based worms clone too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Stickman posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this i would've skipped it otherwise

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rusty Lake Hotel is free at Itch.io, also iOS and Android!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

And steam, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tonight We Riot free on GOG