Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, they did not wait to get into the action.

Sam's new suit is pretty much exactly like his comics one, with one exception, the wings were on the arms rather than a separate piece. Honestly, it probably work better in film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Bucky aint loving around

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, Walker made the right choice for once. Like he could have gone after Karli but nope, saved those people, and probably would have been successful if the Flagsmashers had not tackled him

Aw man Sharon was the power broker. I mean, it was the most logical choice based on, well, the show, but i was hoping there was something else behind her. That she was playing both sides or something. Also RIP Karli, you were not wrong, just wrong in how you were doing things.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 23, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol Bucky busting Walker's chops about quoting Lincoln

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol Bucky busting Walker's chops about quoting Lincoln

hahaha yea "Not when you say it"

drat, straight up US Agent

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 23, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Woodhouse!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This had real big Raimi Spider-Man energy and I don't know what I think about that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am surprised they had a feel good ending

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Bucky calling Sam Cap without hesitationwas some :unsmith: poo poo, let me tell you. Love it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sam’s speech was a little clunky but I still really liked it. Kinda wish he’d taken the weird face mask off for it though, it’s just so goofy looking. Let the man rock the goggles-only look like he’s done for years now. I loving love that characters on the show started calling Sam Cap immediately and the title change in the credits was so satisfying.

Good show. Finale was a little straight-forward but it stuck the landing and (just like WandaVision) I care way more about the leads now than I did before it premiered. So far these shows are turning out to be an excellent vehicle for fleshing out characters who’ve been overshadowed by the main Avengers in years past.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

twistedmentat posted:

I am surprised they had a feel good ending

Was it? There’s a happy montage, I guess, but the actual events read as incredibly bleak to me. Sam and Bucky go out of their way not to kill these guys who end up getting promptly blown up the moment they make it into police custody, and they both completely missed the villain who wormed her way back into the US government. I don’t know it it was intentional or not, but Sam’s triumphant speech is bookended on both ends by a villain killing people with impunity, with him left looking like an oblivious incompetent. That’s pretty dark take on Black Captain America’s first day on the job.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So we are getting Hydra Cap in the form of USAgent in the future. Wonder how it'll work since people HATED the Hydra Cap stuff.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Sharon turning evil honestly makes perfect sense to me. If I became an international fugitive to help a guy out, only for him to travel back in time so he could bone my aunt, I'd probably turn evil too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm throwing my chip already into the "Sharon's definitely a Skrull" betting pool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bucky: literally invited to the cookout.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sio posted:

Was it? There’s a happy montage, I guess, but the actual events read as incredibly bleak to me. Sam and Bucky go out of their way not to kill these guys who end up getting promptly blown up the moment they make it into police custody, and they both completely missed the villain who wormed her way back into the US government. I don’t know it it was intentional or not, but Sam’s triumphant speech is bookended on both ends by a villain killing people with impunity, with him left looking like an oblivious incompetent. That’s pretty dark take on Black Captain America’s first day on the job.

Was he supposed to stop all evil everywhere forever on his first day on the job to make it a feel good ending? Sam (with help) stopped the Flag-smashers' terrorist attack and reached/embarrassed the GRC on international television enough to get them to apply some compassion or a reasonably facsimile thereof to the resettlement issue. As first days go, that wasn't a bad one.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

just having Sam making a West Wing speech at the end really doesn't tie everything together all that well, should have ended with him finally getting that bank loan

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Strong ending. The show kind of sagged in the middle but really picked up steam in the last few episodes. Overall, I'm very happy with the series. Would dig a second season of Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

I am relieved that Walker survived. I am also surprised that not only did he find (some measure of) redemption by making the choice to save lives rather than kill Karli, he also appears to be operating openly as US Agent (insofar he is being fitted for his costume in a government building, which suggests to me he is not just going to be black ops). In any case, I am thrilled that Wyatt Russell will be sticking around. I hope they continue to use his character as well as they have so far, with him being a fundamentally good person who is unfortunately at the beck and call of an amoral (possibly even malevolent - the jury's out on Val) overseer. There's a lot of interesting directions they can take Walker and I think "ambiguous hero" is the best.

As for Sharon, well, we all saw it coming and boy, the apple really fell far from the tree. I'm not entirely sold on the depths of her descent into villainy, and I'm not sure her actions throughout the series will stand up to scrutiny in light of the reveal. Her confrontation with Karli felt clumsy - and awfully risky for someone who has cultivated such a fearsome reputation.

Speaking of Karli, the writers really salted the earth when wrapping up the Flagsmashers - they're all dead. I have to admit, I burst out laughing when Zemo's butler blew them up. Both Zemo and the writers were like "I said no loose ends".

In light of their deaths, I'd be surprised if they ever meaningfully touch on the GRC and the resettlment again. I just hope that we still continue to explore the ramifications of the Snap on society as whole, and not just the individual characters.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 23, 2021

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Everyone posted:

Was he supposed to stop all evil everywhere forever on his first day on the job to make it a feel good ending? Sam (with help) stopped the Flag-smashers' terrorist attack and reached/embarrassed the GRC on international television enough to get them to apply some compassion or a reasonably facsimile thereof to the resettlement issue. As first days go, that wasn't a bad one.

I think there’s a massive gap between ”stopping all evil everywhere” and ending the day while brushing past actual villains and having all the people he sympathized with in the conflict end up dead. Whatever ability Captain America may or may not have to enact change, that’s not a triumphant result. It’s the sort of thing that would probably shatter to the core someone’s belief in ever turning a prisoner in, for example.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So, Sharon gets her old position back, as Agent Carter. But for whom? SHIELD don’t exist any more!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Waffleopolis posted:

So we are getting Hydra Cap in the form of USAgent in the future. Wonder how it'll work since people HATED the Hydra Cap stuff.

I may be wrong, but I thought most of the negative reaction to Hydra Cap stemmed from the hacky shock cliffhanger way it was manufactured to begin with and the poorly written retcon that explained it away without actually making Steve a Nazi.

I don’t think Walker is like Hydra Cap anyway. He seems to be more or less following the comic version of Walker who’s pretty much just “what if Cap was an insecure flag-waving zealot who didn’t give a poo poo about killing people”.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

The_Doctor posted:

So, Sharon gets her old position back, as Agent Carter. But for whom? SHIELD don’t exist any more!

She joined the CIA after SHIELD fell and was an agent in Civil War.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sio posted:

I think there’s a massive gap between ”stopping all evil everywhere” and ending the day while brushing past actual villains and having all the people he sympathized with in the conflict end up dead. Whatever ability Captain America may or may not have to enact change, that’s not a triumphant result. It’s the sort of thing that would probably shatter to the core someone’s belief in ever turning a prisoner in, for example.

Sam is now Captain America, not Captain God. He brushed past actual villains because he doesn't yet know that they're villains. From Sam's perspective Sharon Carter risked her freedom and actual life help him and Bucky. He's not a telepath, precog or super-detective. He doesn't yet know that Sharon is the Power Broker. Maybe in Season Two. Preventing the death of the Flag-smashers in custody would have required a level of foresight/paranoia that he doesn't possess. He might put it together after the fact and maybe be a little more cautious - especially if super-powers are involved given Zemo's apparent reach even from within the Raft - but their deaths weren't on him. And what was he supposed to do? He had enough trouble getting the boat fixed. It's not like he can afford to build his own private prison just in case Zemo tries to kill one of his prisoners.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I know it would be cool for season 2 to beCaptain America and the Winter Solider. However, it'd be a lot cooler if this story was continued in Captain America 4. Let Sam get Cap movies.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Everyone posted:

Sam is now Captain America, not Captain God. He brushed past actual villains because he doesn't yet know that they're villains. From Sam's perspective Sharon Carter risked her freedom and actual life help him and Bucky. He's not a telepath, precog or super-detective. He doesn't yet know that Sharon is the Power Broker. Maybe in Season Two. Preventing the death of the Flag-smashers in custody would have required a level of foresight/paranoia that he doesn't possess. He might put it together after the fact and maybe be a little more cautious - especially if super-powers are involved given Zemo's apparent reach even from within the Raft - but their deaths weren't on him. And what was he supposed to do? He had enough trouble getting the boat fixed. It's not like he can afford to build his own private prison just in case Zemo tries to kill one of his prisoners.

I’m sorry, I have no idea what Sam’s powers or personal culpability have to do with whether or not it’s a feel-good ending when all the unarmed prisoners get blown up. Are we talking about the same thing at all? I don’t think so.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Has anyone said ‘Blacktain America’ yet?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
And once again Disney shows they ain't willing to rock the boat on the politics by refusing to make the Senator the real bad guy. Was hoping he would be the Power Broker and revealed how he played everyone like a fool

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

gyrobot posted:

And once again Disney shows they ain't willing to rock the boat on the politics by refusing to make the Senator the real bad guy. Was hoping he would be the Power Broker and revealed how he played everyone like a fool

I mean he gets publicly berated by Captain America in his "have you ever asked yourself why the terrorists might be doing this?" speech

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

text editor posted:

I mean he gets publicly berated by Captain America in his "have you ever asked yourself why the terrorists might be doing this?" speech

I don't know man, I kind of zoned out too. All I heard was black Captain America and stars and stripes!

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

text editor posted:

There is a difference between public figures getting called out and actually airing the dirty laundry of America double dealing/dipping by engineering their own incidents

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Overhead throwing the shield, catching it, then flying through the helicopter :swoon:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sio posted:

I’m sorry, I have no idea what Sam’s powers or personal culpability have to do with whether or not it’s a feel-good ending when all the unarmed prisoners get blown up. Are we talking about the same thing at all? I don’t think so.

The unarmed prisoners got a quick death instead of existing for the rest of their natural lives in the torturous hell that would be the superest of supermax prisons. So that's nice. You take your good feels where you can find them. That scene was there to remind us that yeah, Zemo's still around and even from within the Raft he's still dangerous. Sharon as the Power Broker getting back into the government to broker some serious power is, again, plot for other seasons/movies. Sam achieved rapprochement with his sister and is now officially friends with Bucky. He's chosen and owned the mantle of Captain America. He's used the soft power of that mantle to help real people in need - including getting recognition for Isaiah Bradley. Bucky seems to have turned a corner in his own story - putting The List behind him and seeming comfortable in a social situation with Sam's family and friends. Hell, even John Walker has found a new role in which to serve his country - which was all he ever really wanted to do. Not every "feel-good" story has to end with absolute victory for the good guys or be a Smurf/Rainbow Brite happyfest.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

twistedmentat posted:

Man, they did not wait to get into the action.

Sam's new suit is pretty much exactly like his comics one, with one exception, the wings were on the arms rather than a separate piece. Honestly, it probably work better in film.

With all that white in the shoulders and head, he's gone from Black Falcon to Bald Eagle :haw:

Only thing I didn't like was Batroc's death, he should've keep doing appearances in other shows/movies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The text at the end:

ISAIAH BRADLEY

Isaiah Bradley is an American hero whose name went unknown for too long.

Isaiah was one of a dozen African-American soldiers who were recruited against their will and without their consent for participation in human testing in pursuit of the super soldier serum. Most did not survive. The few who lived through testing were sent on secret missions during the Korean War. During the conflict, against all odds, Isaiah Bradley rescued his fellow soldiers and 25 other POWs from behind enemy lines.

However, fearful of the ramifications of a black super soldier. Some individuals within the government tried to erase Isaiah’s story from history. His family was issued a falsified death certificate. And for decades, the truth of his unflinching bravery was buried.”

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There've been a lot of Thermian defenses of this show and its choices, and I suspect the finale will only reinforce the trend.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Flag Smashers were killed by a rich terrorist. It's not like Sam handed them over to police custody and then they were murdered by the cops. Their death isn't on Sam. Also, he fulfilled their goal. They wanted to stop the vote and Sam did just that.

And for as much as the producers have said they're not thinking about a second season, the lone post credit scene with Sharon infiltrating the government seems like a huge setup, especially since Sam's the one that got her the job.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

And for as much as the producers have said they're not thinking about a second season, the lone post credit scene with Sharon infiltrating the government seems like a huge setup, especially since Sam's the one that got her the job. [/spoiler]

As someone else said earlier, that could be setup for Secret Invasion rather than season two of Captain America and the Winter Soldier, because it's possible Sharon might be a Skrull. Still, between Power Broker, Zemo and US Agent, there's plenty of fodder for other shows or movies to tackle, even if we never get another season of this.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sio posted:

I get the feeling that Bucky knows about Sharon. While not explicitly stated, I think him telling Sam that she's not going to want to go to the hospital was more than "oh, well she's still wanted".

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

As someone else said earlier, that could be setup for Secret Invasion rather than season two of Captain America and the Winter Soldier, because it's possible Sharon might be a Skrull. Still, between Power Broker, Zemo and US Agent, there's plenty of fodder for other shows or movies to tackle, even if we never get another season of this.

Given that they've been loading up lately, if this is the case, we should probably hear that VanCamp has been cast in Secret Invasion soon. But also, Ben-Adir has been announced as playing the villain, so it doesn't sound like Sharon would have a key role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I get the feeling that Bucky knows about Sharon. While not explicitly stated, I think him telling Sam that she's not going to want to go to the hospital was more than "oh, well she's still wanted".

I just presumed that he was talking more about Sharon's personality, stubborn nature to refuse to seek help etc. rather than that he was trying to voice subtle doubt about her or anything.