Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

mediaphage posted:

the anniversary mac sucked huge bits. it looks dumb and is all the bad parts of a laptop and desktop with none of the good aspects. maybe that speaker/subwoofer thing was good though idk.

i do like the sony xel1 though. i remember when that came out i went to the sony store and was just completely blown away by it. super thin with insane colours and contrast (by comparison; i don’t think its objective colour accuracy was all that great iirc). remember this was before other oleds were on the market; it was the first oled tv.

sony never reissued it because they stopped making or funding oled development and went in another direction. also tbf you could just get an oled android tablet and build a cute little frame for it today and have something functionally identical.

i do wonder if they’d make something similar with some of their eventual mini/microled products though.

I'm not saying it was a GOOD computer, I'm saying it was something you would expect to see in Architectural Digest in someone's mansion and be like, whoa. It's like a Maserati, which to anyways who knows even a little bit more than most about cars knows they are expensive pieces of crap, but to your average person seeing someone in a new Maserati could be expected to think, whoa, that person must be rich!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Three Olives posted:

I'm not saying it was a GOOD computer, I'm saying it was something you would expect to see in Architectural Digest in someone's mansion and be like, whoa. It's like a Maserati, which to anyways who knows even a little bit more than most about cars knows they are expensive pieces of crap, but to your average person seeing someone in a new Maserati could be expected to think, whoa, that person must be rich!

nah literally everything about it is bad

it does not look good at all

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

mediaphage posted:

nah literally everything about it is bad

it does not look good at all

Despite what most might think, things can in fact be cool and not good.

I have heard that the LCD was really good at the time but that's about it.

Also I wonder what it was like to be the guy delivering these in a tux. That must have been a pretty awkward job to have honestly.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BobHoward posted:

Besides the polarized response to the touchbar, Apple never brought it to every keyboard in the Mac lineup, only to MacBook Pro (and only more expensive models at that). Devs could safely assume that most Mac owners don't have a touchbar, so few spent any time on custom Touchbar based UI.

The Touchbar is pretty sweet in Photoshop and Logic but that's about it honestly.

I've heard better touch tool is kind of cool?

99% of the time I just use the touchbar to switch between spaces because there's no other way that I know of to jump straight to a space that isn't adjacent to the one you are currently using :(

I just want them to bring back the spaces from Snow Leopard :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Despite what most might think, things can in fact be cool and not good.

Also I wonder what it was like to be the guy delivering these in a tux. That must have been a pretty awkward job to have honestly.

ehhhh i'm not super into maseratis to use the first example but i think they look ok at least. and the sony tv was expensive but also looked amazing. i think the tam was just dumb across the board

i don't think apple cares about making their salespeople do awkward poo poo, the last time i bought an iphone in a store, a few years ago (6s+), the apple person actually tried to say congratulations to me on the way out. like. ew.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've seen it in person and it's very meh. Much like all the other parts-bin components inside the TAM, I'm pretty sure it was just the same LCD panel they used in a contemporary PowerBook.

You have to keep in mind that 1990s LCD tech had a long way to go. Despite the newness factor, your first thought on seeing a LCD monitor wasn't "holy poo poo that's good", because you'd already seen countless generic 13" CRTs with profoundly better color and contrast.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The TAM looks embarrassing now but at the time it was the peak of cool. Much like the alien-egg aesthetic of those SGI boxes, or bellbottoms

The Computerware across from Infinite Loop (I worked in the neighborhood but not at Apple) had one on display and it really did elevate the place.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I can't believe the TAM was anywhere near cool when it looked like the same form factor (small screen built into case) used by a lot of stuff from the late 90s-early 2000s like the Dell WebPC.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think there’s a lot of nostalgia doing heavy lifting here. the computer was almost entirely unknown in its day and not really the peak of cool. very little about anything computers was considered cool at the time, apple included

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

E: Never mind.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
The prototype was in Batman and Sabrina and the final one was in Seinfeld, it loving cost $12,000.

Like, I totally get that it is a poo poo computer and hasn't aged well design wise but you couldn't have been paying attention at the time to not understand that it was viewed as the computer a wealthy executive would use, they loving made it out of leather.

And before someone says it, it was understood that Jerry had money on the show, they telegraphed it with things like his computer. But he lived next door to Kramer! Part of the joke with Kramer was that he obviously had some mysterious source of a large amount of money and still acted like a weirdo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Weird post dude lol. It's just a prop in a loving sitcom.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i am aware of how and where it was used and how much it cost. lots of stuff gets used in movies that is terrible irl.

literally the only thing i find interesting about it is the positionable trackpad

American McGay posted:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
They finally released the stream opening song :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-IK-MRe3h4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Give me all the TAMs you don’t want. I will give them a good loving home.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

American McGay posted:

I see you've not interacted with Three Olives before

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah I know the drill. I just think it's extra funny to have a "uhh actually guys this is why it's known as a symbol of luxury" post that references a random thing in the background of Seinfeld's apartment.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Batman and Sabrina
I would watch this film

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

American McGay posted:

He had an SE/30 before. He should have had the SGI.

I missed the episode where he has to sit at the computer and write jokes while getting a blowjob from Elaine, like the movie Swordfish.

I wonder if Jerry is a Mac fan, and collects them like Porsches.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

He had an SE/30 before. He should have had the SGI.

I missed the episode where he has to sit at the computer and write jokes while getting a blowjob from Elaine, like the movie Swordfish.

I wonder if Jerry is a Mac fan, and collects them like Porsches.

i do too, they also had an se/30 and a powerbook duo with duo dock on at various points

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ha, apropos of nothing I remember the house AppleTalk network at college had a machine on it called BOUTROS BOUTROS DUO

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I’m so tempted to trade my 2020 Intel MBP for an M1, again I would’ve waited but my 2015 was having battery problems and also started hard locking at random.

Somehow this thing gets worse battery life than my work 2019 mbp, which only really chuggs battery during teams calls.

I really would like to wait for the next revision MBP but every time I use my current one off battery it seems to drain so fast. Even just playing a youtube vid in safari. The usage seems almost the same as my 2015 with a service battery indicator.

I’ve thought about contacting apple support about the poor battery life but I feel like they might just give me the runaround.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Apple has been writing large checks for product placement in TV and movies for a long time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
there was a good 2-3 years where every cool teen character had a tangerine iBook

not any other color, just tangerine (which in hindsight was kinda like the Bondi Blue of iBook, since Wikipedia tells me the launch colors were tangerine and the bondi-esque “blueberry”, followed by graphite, indigo, and lime)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FuturePastNow posted:

Apple has been writing large checks for product placement in TV and movies for a long time

I've always kind of wondered how much of a chicken-and-egg thing this is. Sure there's a lot of budgeted product placement going on, but surely there's also a lot of cases of movies using Apple gear just because they want to, and because it creates the look they want. Thinking OG iMacs everywhere in the late 90s, and MacBooks/glowing Apple logo lids all over the place. How much of that is because Apple paid for it and how much is because "X character is the sort of person to use an Apple laptop/have a Flower Power iMac in their bedroom"?

It's complicated by the fact that the shapes of the computers themselves are the brand, more so than having a closeup of a logo as in most cases. Like I'm not talking Mac and Me here

e: or Barbasol, in the case of Jurassic Park which that avatar reminded me of. Or SGI lmao

e: oh yeah, I remember wanting an iBook for a while but the only colors available were tangerine and blueberry. Yeah it comes in colors, gently caress you

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 23, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tv and movie producers are extremely good at convincing themselves that the product they are being paid to use is the best fit for their character. Similar to how Georgia just happens to be the best location for everything due to their high subsidies.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Doesn't Apple have a thing when it comes to product placement that villains can't use their products? Heroes have iPhones. Villains have Androids or "hacker" phones.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

maybe in the past, it seems these days they mostly don’t give a gently caress and shoehorn it in

cars and bing are the worst for this imo

cue getaway scene
*slow glamour sweep of the toyota yaris*

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Doesn't Apple have a thing when it comes to product placement that villains can't use their products? Heroes have iPhones. Villains have Androids or "hacker" phones.

presumably this is only when they’re paying for it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

presumably this is only when they’re paying for it?

I actually think that in that case their lawyers have made people cover the logo up with tape/editing/etc, but I might be misremembering, don’t quote me on it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I actually think that in that case their lawyers have made people cover the logo up with tape/editing/etc, but I might be misremembering, don’t quote me on it

if they aren’t defaming the product itself there’s no legal grounds for doing it

i suspect they often get covered up just whenever they aren’t being paid

edit: lol which reminds me of the really obvious dell inspirons in stargate atlantis with big atlantis symbols covering the dell logo

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 23, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mediaphage posted:

if they aren’t defaming the product itself there’s no legal grounds for doing it

i suspect they often get covered up just whenever they aren’t being paid

edit: lol which reminds me of the really obvious dell inspirons in stargate atlantis with big atlantis symbols covering the dell logo

I think if you're showing a company's products, you probably need to be licensing their logo at least if it's visible since it's a copyrighted image, which would then require you to adhere to their licensing conditions. There's a more recent example in esports where Alienware pulled their sponsorship from League of Legends esports but they're still using Alienware monitors just with the Alienware logo covered up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

yeah but there’s this awesome thing that giant companies often do where they use the threat of expensive and time-consuming litigation anyway, even if the actual charge is baseless/a loser. Just send a sternly worded letter or email from a corporate legal office with some vague threats

Often they even follow through on the threat, because you can go to court to lose and still win if you can afford to gently caress around in front of a judge for a couple of months or years and your opponent can’t.

or they simply throw their weight around and threaten other repercussions— loss of ad revenue and paid placements on other network/distributor properties, etc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if all the Apple stuff in Ted Lasso counts as product placement when Apple produces the show

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Like him or hate him, Tarantino was smart for just making fake products to put in his films. Red Apple cigarettes aren't product placements but also make sure you understand that if they are in one of his movies, then that is a movie that belongs to the same 'universe'.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

I think if you're showing a company's products, you probably need to be licensing their logo at least if it's visible since it's a copyrighted image, which would then require you to adhere to their licensing conditions. There's a more recent example in esports where Alienware pulled their sponsorship from League of Legends esports but they're still using Alienware monitors just with the Alienware logo covered up.

right. why would you show off a product if you weren’t getting paid for it. i explicitly looked this up before i commented earlier. there’s no legal basis to do anything about it if you aren’t actively defaming the product as part of the show.

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but there’s this awesome thing that giant companies often do where they use the threat of expensive and time-consuming litigation anyway, even if the actual charge is baseless/a loser. Just send a sternly worded letter or email from a corporate legal office with some vague threats

Often they even follow through on the threat, because you can go to court to lose and still win if you can afford to gently caress around in front of a judge for a couple of months or years and your opponent can’t.

or they simply throw their weight around and threaten other repercussions— loss of ad revenue and paid placements on other network/distributor properties, etc.

i don’t think apple bothers even pretending to sue a company like, say, cbs. they don’t need to. it’s a gentlemen’s agreement to keep everyone happy. apple is a big company but tv people are big and proud enough to tell them to pound sand if they really cared.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/21/macbook-pro-stolen-schematics-ports/

So when the 14-inch and 16-inch M1s get here, they'll have MagSafe (yay), HDMI and SDXC ports (also yay) but only 3 TB4 ports (meh)

At least having a port on each side will make things comfortable.. the leaked docs don't say anything about the CPU but it's almost a given that it's going to be a souped up version of the M1, so as to differentiate it from the low-end M1 machines.. hopefully

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Mixed feelings about magsafe coming back, although I'll find it hard to complain if they also support charging over USB-C from either side.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/21/macbook-pro-stolen-schematics-ports/

So when the 14-inch and 16-inch M1s get here, they'll have MagSafe (yay), HDMI and SDXC ports (also yay) but only 3 TB4 ports (meh)

At least having a port on each side will make things comfortable.. the leaked docs don't say anything about the CPU but it's almost a given that it's going to be a souped up version of the M1, so as to differentiate it from the low-end M1 machines.. hopefully

If thats true then I guess I'm holding onto this Intel turd until this version comes out. Please say it's not long

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dont get why the new imacs dont have touch screens. Didn't they just blow up everything in OS11 to make stuff easier to smash with your finger? WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple wants you to own a Mac and an iPad.