Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Destiny more like Minecraft because that's where a lot of things should happen to him in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Destiny more like Minecraft because that's where a lot of things should happen to him in

living in a small room made of dirt, dug out of the ground, waiting out the night until the creepers bound away

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Matt Christman: apparently China has hybrid monkey-humans

What?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Grevling posted:

What?

oh my god

the Goku Project

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Grevling posted:

What?

Lol I remember that from cushvlog. I think it was a joke about the CRISPR poo poo in China?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Oh, it's just a joke? I kind of want it to be true. Let's go wild, bring on the Man After Man future.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Brianas brain is going to break and she'll either end up a post left nihilist or a maoist and i am here for it

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyVk8bmhXSM

My God

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Brianas brain is going to break and she'll either end up a post left nihilist or a maoist and i am here for it

she's going to start posting here :twisted:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Insha'allah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Victory Position posted:

she's going to start posting here :twisted:

hopefully we get a part two of this:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I found Bad Faith started to get really annoying because a bunch of people would be like, "yeah, turns out, if you want political leverage and you want to demand concessions from those in power, you can't just whip up some magical electoral lynchpin leverage point out of thin air — you actually need to organize for years and years" and BJG would say, "yes I know, everyone says that to me but I'm not an activist I'm just ah humble, ah, country lawyuh an' press secretary, what does that mean??" and in my head I'd like, I dunno, you have the really popular podcast platform, get some guests on and do an episode about what organizing means. The Boots Riley one did that and it was really good. Do more. Figuring out what "organizing" entails is not some nebulous, impossible to discuss question. Just post on Twitter saying "I want to talk to a club organizer" and then talk to them.

This idea is actually where Virgil and Chomsky agreed. The "it takes 10 minutes" talking point was stupid, sure, but the broader point that electoral poo poo is a very small part of wielding political power was basically Virgil's point in that debate between him and BJG about withholding 20,000 electoral votes in some swing state to demand concessions. BJG really wanted a solution we could latch onto right now, but... welp.

Or, put another way,

V. Illych L. posted:

BJG has been going progressively more insane as the biden admin has been rolling along [...] she seems to be getting more frantic as she tries to avoid admitting that there probably isn't and that there's no such way forward within the time we have left before ecocide

...yeah, I think she knows that the kind of organizing being discussed, with respect to current timelines, basically means: "oh gently caress"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why are you listening to people who are only discovering that now?

Also, addendum: lawyers are not leftists by definition.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
what about cia operatives

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

xtal posted:

Alab and 5-4 to a lesser extent seem a little left to me but I guess they don't do crowdsourced Intel for the US government

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mods, rename the thread to [Private radio shows] extremely terrifying private radio show listening statistics inside

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Alab and 5-4 to a lesser extent seem a little left to me but I guess they don't do crowdsourced Intel for the US government

They're called ALAB for God's sake

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Slanderer posted:

it was clear how things were gonna go after hearing virgil shouting some insanely cringe poo poo at the end of live show (las vegas?) before they all sang a song. he sounded unwell.

so his later disappearance was unsurprising

They are all exploring different realms of consciousness during all of their live shows, whatever they say doesn't matter.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maybe that's why Virgil likes hanging out with Briahna

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
new TrueAnon was great, loved it, sent it to my dad

this is from David Talbot's "Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years", which completely crack-pinged me on JFK back in like 2018, but I've also started reading Peter Dale Scott's "Dallas '63" from the ep's recommendation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/jackcalifano/status/1385382658176212992

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

i say swears online posted:

she's going to murder you on behalf of the cia, op

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol if this works better than Obama's fake bullshit

I've texted with this same very cute girl about coming over to my place to talk about historical materialism. She seems very interested, I'll talk with her later today and see if that interest is still there.

Thank you Karl Marx and Richard "Dick" Wolff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Even if Wolff was right about everything, he did interrupt Destiny a lot. Even the moderator admitted this after the debate and said he should have stepped in more.
There are conversations where if you don't interrupt, you will not speak. I only watched about 20 minutes of it, but unless Destiny got a bone stuck in his throat or something I'm sure he said about three times as many words as Wolff.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

Anyway I found them (Will & Maxx) on Twitter.

"What if we took Jameson's re-framing of ideology and the base/superstructure relationship such that capitalism is an invisible or formal 'absent cause' of the superstructure.... but we made that idea really stupid?"
https://twitter.com/agoingaccount/status/1380957071689052165

this one's funny because of everything I said above about how they throw terms around... and because I'm not confident they understand what "capital" is:
https://twitter.com/MaxSeijo/status/1380708042757472259

The full thread's good because it's literally just a Jacobin editor being like "what the gently caress do you even mean?" again and again until the other co-host shows up and they riff without, indeed, ever explaining what the gently caress they mean except possibly that "we decided this foundational concept from Marx that we for sure understand is wrong because ??"

- - -

im sorry are they saying that cash doesnt rule everything around me because there's public fiscal policy??

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/agoingaccount/status/1380314442244759553?s=19

Lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

time for some game theory.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can't tell if this is a bit or insanity

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

https://twitter.com/DetectiveKeaton/status/1380507876016422918

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

xtal posted:

If only the anarchist with decades worth of experience would share their podcasts instead of hiding them (almost like a paywall)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

If only the anarchist with decades worth of experience would share their podcasts instead of hiding them (almost like a paywall)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grevling posted:

What?

It is real and not a joke. Just like the military developing a microchip to be implanted under people's skins.

Chimeric contribution of human extended pluripotent stem cells to monkey embryos ex vivo

quote:

Highlights

Generation of human-monkey chimeric embryos ex vivo with hEPSCs

hEPSCs differentiated into hypoblast and epiblast lineages

scRNA-seq analyses revealed developmental trajectories of human and monkey cells

The approach may allow for enhancing chimerism between evolutionarily distant species

Summary

Interspecies chimera formation with human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs) represents a necessary alternative to evaluate hPSC pluripotency in vivo and might constitute a promising strategy for various regenerative medicine applications, including the generation of organs and tissues for transplantation. Studies using mouse and pig embryos suggest that hPSCs do not robustly contribute to chimera formation in species evolutionarily distant to humans. We studied the chimeric competency of human extended pluripotent stem cells (hEPSCs) in cynomolgus monkey (Macaca fascicularis) embryos cultured ex vivo. We demonstrate that hEPSCs survived, proliferated, and generated several peri- and early post-implantation cell lineages inside monkey embryos. We also uncovered signaling events underlying interspecific crosstalk that may help shape the unique developmental trajectories of human and monkey cells within chimeric embryos. These results may help to better understand early human development and primate evolution and develop strategies to improve human chimerism in evolutionarily distant species.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Apr 23, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

new TrueAnon was great, loved it, sent it to my dad

this is from David Talbot's "Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years", which completely crack-pinged me on JFK back in like 2018, but I've also started reading Peter Dale Scott's "Dallas '63" from the ep's recommendation.

If you liked it, you need to hit up MSJ's JFK-4 parter as well 1 2 3 4. He's prob going to show back up on Trueanon in a later jfk ep. I would also say the Fourth Reich episodes he's doing right now loops back to the JFK stuff nicely in part 2 and 3 with it being the culmination pupating event that, directly or indirectly, ushered in the extremely detached era we have now. but thats in the premium feed, ive linked it before

TrueAnon's entry 1 was pretty decent, looking forward to the other ones. also feeling vindicated by my parasocial friends a few weeks back when all goons were like no way, jfk would totally have super invaded vietnam just as hard if not harder. :toot:. and just lolling remembering the goon itt saying CIA wasn't involved in vietnam at all

e: relevant since a lot of these will probably come up in subsequent eps:
https://twitter.com/SeanMcCarthyCom/status/1375532624958136331
rose cherami is also really loving weird. maybe she was just laying out head directly in the street of a random section of no-where highway at 3am to commit suicide, because anyone who touches a drug is bad and wants to kill themselves, but that the reported autopsy showed a starlike puncture wound to the side of a skull and there appeared to have been suitcases laid out on the street to direct a car directly ontop of her head if they swerve to avoid those. the driver also had reported there was a red car parked across the street.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Apr 23, 2021

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
still my favorite JFK assassination tidbit

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Grevling posted:

What?

you never heard of Journey to the West?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Where does one enlist in the Liz Franczak Basij?

So far this guys stuff about JFK and him wanting tti secretly end the Vietnam war seems to be ask the stuff that's been throughly debunked over the years, and goid argument that Kennedy was already rich so he wouldn't use the powers of the president to get richer islaughable. I can't take these Kennedy as enemy of the status quo and that's why they got rid of him poo poo seriously

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Apr 23, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The extent of his opposing CIA psychosis was saying that the CIA should have merely deposed Lumumba in favor of Mobutu instead of chopping him into pieces. The broad policies he was all in favor of, Kennedy just wanted to tone down the incompetent zaniness and more obviously violent revelry that might alienate the public.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The extent of his opposing CIA psychosis was saying that the CIA should have merely deposed Lumumba in favor of Mobutu instead of chopping him into pieces. The broad policies he was all in favor of, Kennedy just wanted to tone down the incompetent zaniness and more obviously violent revelry that might alienate the public.

It's funny that there's no push back on that, cause I should think Brace or Liz would know better.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KomradeX posted:

It makes me really glad I only got my undergrad degree where at least for me in history writing it was about backing up my claims with research. Glad I avoided getting those brainworms.

I went to one university where there was a big oral history lab where everything was about public history, working together with local community members to help create local histories that reflect the people who lived there, was always getting students out of the school proper and talking to people in different neighborhoods, and I also went to a different university where on the very first day of grad school I got into an argument in class with the professor about whether or not history should be accessible to the public.

It does feel like the esoteric knowledge holders and the people willing to play the funding game better are the ones who are dominant in academia, but it's a mixed bag. Neither those weirdos, nor the people who believe academia is that stereotype and should be demolished and replaced with a conservative value copy machine are interested in talking or thinking about the people doing their best to make academia less insular and lovely. I can't say for certain that academia will get better, but I do know that there's a financial reckoning coming for the endless building cycle most mid-to-large schools have engaged in that's now starting to collapse. Of course the ivy leagues will survive since they have the alumni donor base to weather the storm.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Apr 23, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also for some podcast content i listened to the GoT episode of Time For My Stories, and Felix saying that he followed the SA thread from GoT is pretty funny. That thread was godawful, but probably gave a good cross-section of how the public dealt with their TV show becoming bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Slanderer posted:

it was clear how things were gonna go after hearing virgil shouting some insanely cringe poo poo at the end of live show (las vegas?) before they all sang a song. he sounded unwell.

so his later disappearance was unsurprising

What are the details of this?