Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

When WWE forces women to get cosmetic surgery does the company pay for it, or is it like how people have to rent their own cars?

Shame! They'd never pay for a woman's surgery as they don't ask women to get surgery. They just apply indirect pressure and push the women the male dominated management finds attractive.

So if you have some surgery to get a push it's your own choice and your own expense.

Now that's a women's revolution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Again, this is PR distraction from a company trying to get ahead of a story about how it routinely sends fired women, and presumably only women, their belongings back to them in binbags. Charlotte's insecurity is plain to see, considering she's constantly getting cosmetic surgery. WWE absolutely plays off these insecurities and uses faux woke PR bullshit to hide that it's still convincing it's top female stars to get unnecessary surgery to fit their aesthetic preferences.

You can get mad at Dave for clumsy wording but he's right. Or do you think it's a coincidence that the surgery Charlotte gets is all to fit the same mould of top female stars for as long as Vince has been in charge?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Gonzo McFee posted:

Charlotte's insecurity is plain to see, considering she's constantly getting cosmetic surgery.

Ok I understand why you're not grasping that what Dave said was not good

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

xbilkis posted:

This is also a bad thing for media figures to say about a woman, by the way! Please stop defending a prominent journalist offering armchair commentary on women's bodies just because you dislike the company that employs the people who are criticizing him

This was about her becoming a worse wrestler because she was struggling with the weight of her new implants, that the wrestling industry pressured her into getting. He was right.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Ok I understand why you're not grasping that what Dave said was not good

No please keep lecturing me with half learned twitter feminism.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Half-learned Twitter feminism is no match for fully ingrained misogyny!

Gonzo McFee posted:

This was about her becoming a worse wrestler because she was struggling with the weight of her new implants, that the wrestling industry pressured her into getting. He was right.

1. "I thought [she used to be more attractive], yes. To me, yes. I would say so." is not a sentence that should be coming out of a journalist's mouth about a performer they cover.
2. Even if you set aside the words he actually said and assume he was trying to communicate that WWE pressured Peyton Royce to get implants, and he was right about it, and he's criticizing the company for pressuring its female performers to get cosmetic surgery that they don't necessarily want that's ultimately detrimental to their performance as wrestlers — it's still a hosed up thing to say, because you are also saying "Peyton Royce, the human being, is not in control of her body, and also she's worse at her job now."

The line is crossed when you invoke an actual human being and assume you know what's going on in her head, or definitively say "This woman in the entertainment industry has acceded to external beauty standards and she's worse off for it." What the gently caress is someone like Peyton supposed to think when they hear that? "Thanks, Dave, for having my back!"

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 23, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
what is dave if not valid points communicated poorly

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Half-learned Twitter feminism is no match for fully ingrained misogyny!

1. "I thought [she used to be more attractive], yes. To me, yes. I would say so." is not a sentence that should be coming out of a journalist's mouth about a performer they cover.
2. Even if you set aside the words he actually said and assume he was trying to communicate that WWE pressured Peyton Royce to get implants, and he was right about it, and he's criticizing the company for pressuring its female performers to get cosmetic surgery that they don't necessarily want that's ultimately detrimental to their performance as wrestlers — it's still a hosed up thing to say, because you are also saying "Peyton Royce, the human being, is not in control of her body, and also she's worse at her job now."

The line is crossed when you invoke an actual human being and assume you know what's going on in her head, or definitively say "This woman in the entertainment industry has acceded to external beauty standards and she's worse off for it." What the gently caress is someone like Peyton supposed to think when they hear that? "Thanks, Dave, for having my back!"

If you're going to be talking about something ongoing like WWE enforcing a rigid beauty standard on women and pressuring women into getting cosmetic surgery you're going to be talking about current wrestlers who have had to go through that. If you didn't bring up Charlotte Flair, a woman who has gone through multiple elective surgeries to fit the same mould that Vince has seen as the standard for the past near 40 years, then you wouldn't be covering it correctly.

People don't like to be reminded that they've been manipulated. Doesn't change that they have been. And now two years later Peyton has been fired despite getting the surgery they wanted her to. None of this poo poo is going to make her feel good and that's exactly why it should be reported.

If it was completely separate from WWE, if all the women getting these surgeries were doing so of their own volition and completely unpressured by their workplace then fair enough, go hog wild. But it isn't the case and never has been. The PR of "This is a woman's body and her choice and Dave has no right to comment" is a move to provide cover for the pressure they themselves applied to women's body and choice. This isn't them being mad that Dave said clumsy things he shouldn't have, this is them mad that Dave is talking about WWE pressuring and manipulating people into going into painful elective surgeries in 2021.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"Dave raised a valid point in a dumb and insensitive way that singled out a woman who didn't ask to be part of this" feel like such an easy middle ground to land on that I'm not sure why people are resisting it so hard.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lamuella posted:

"Dave raised a valid point in a dumb and insensitive way that singled out a woman who didn't ask to be part of this" feel like such an easy middle ground to land on that I'm not sure why people are resisting it so hard.

Sounds like some Twitter feminism to me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lamuella posted:

it’s forbidden to have any nuance in your views, lest people start screaming something about 1997 cartoon south park at you

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's only kind of vaguely related but I think it's a bit funny when Meltzer reports something that he heard from a source and then the people in question reply all "wow Meltzer at it again spreading lies about me". Ok, well, why don't you tell him the real story, then? Then he doesn't have to rely on second-hand information that might be incorrect. Meltzer does tend to admit he's wrong when he's proven to be wrong (unless I'm wrong about that lol). Why does this business have to be so secretive all the time

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 23, 2021

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dave, dave, the love slave

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don Callis on WOL was sooooo good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

It's only kind of vaguely related but I think it's a bit funny when Meltzer reports something that he heard from a source and then the people in question reply all "wow Meltzer at it again spreading lies about me". Ok, well, why don't you tell him the real story, then? Then he doesn't have to rely on second-hand information that might be incorrect. Meltzer does tend to admit he's wrong when he's proven to be wrong (unless I'm wrong about that lol). Why does this business have to be so secretive all the time

Because the real story might be none of his business, so he’s not owed it and she doesn’t have to say anything to anybody she doesn’t want to.

Just because you report in a field doesn’t mean you’re automatically entitled to every piece of information about the private lives of everyone in that field, particularly when they’re ultimately nothing more than gossip-rag tier mundanities.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Charlotte could legitimately feel the way she does but I do feel like there has been a lot of performative outrage at Dave from WWE roster members, I remember endless "shame on you sir" tweets during the Peyton Royce thing. He is incredibly clunky and old man brain about phrasing his poo poo but I do think his brain mind is in the right place.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because the real story might be none of his business, so he’s not owed it and she doesn’t have to say anything to anybody she doesn’t want to.

Just because you report in a field doesn’t mean you’re automatically entitled to every piece of information about the private lives of everyone in that field, particularly when they’re ultimately nothing more than gossip-rag tier mundanities.

Very true, which is why I said it was only vaguely related to the current issue at hand re: comments about Charlotte. I meant it in a more general sense when people go "Meltzer is lying" (vs telling the real story or maybe saying "the rumor is not true", which does not assign an agenda to Meltzer's reporting of something he heard). It was not a great post on my part anyway, nor is this I guess sorry

edit: wow I gotta stop posting today, I'm super bad at it

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 23, 2021

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Raeg posted:

Charlotte could legitimately feel the way she does but I do feel like there has been a lot of performative outrage at Dave from WWE roster members, I remember endless "shame on you sir" tweets during the Peyton Royce thing. He is incredibly clunky and old man brain about phrasing his poo poo but I do think his brain mind is in the right place.
Maybe the WWE roster love joining forces publicly on these Meltzer statements because they can secretly imagine they're laying into Kevin Dunn telling them to find some tiiiiits and have a particular accent.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Lamuella posted:

Like 12 of the 15 commenting ITT have this exact view.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Charlotte should tell Dave to turn off his monitor

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Dave Meltzer, delete you are account

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dave Meltzer has died of Ligma

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It wasn't the original one but rather El Hijo del Ligma

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

mkay0 posted:

Like 12 of the 15 commenting ITT have this exact view.

Cool, are those the people that were angrily shouting past each other immediately above my post?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yes :mrgw:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I mean kinda, goons love arguing over the 3% they don't agree on instead of discussing the 97% they do.

Something something the numbers don't lie and they mean disaster for you in the posting dome.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean kinda, goons love arguing over the 3% they don't agree on instead of discussing the 97% they do.

Something something the numbers don't lie and they mean disaster for you in the posting dome.

Let me break it down for you this way.

Would you rather go home with a poster like me? Or that fatass Bluray Wrestling?

(At least I think that's how the other part goes)

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Dave Meltzer can either be the nicest journalist you'll ever meet or a twisted psychopath.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Enjoyed Bryan talking about his friend’s enormous child this morning

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dave should get a boob job in my opinion.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Enjoyed Bryan talking about his friend’s enormous child this morning

The lore of the Thor

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Have Charlotte say "Observe this, brother!" live on TV.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

charlotte tearing an ipad in half and dropping it into a flaming trash bag

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This new lore of Dave is a bummer.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Raeg posted:

Dave Meltzer can either be the nicest journalist you'll ever meet or a twisted psychopath.

He can be ur Kurt Angle or yuor Sonya Deville

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

no criticism of Dave Meltzer could ever have merit if it's being levied by a WWE employee

Sounds right.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

xbilkis posted:

You think it's reasonable for a media figure to casually declare why a person he covers is electing to get surgery without contacting that person?

Maybe WWE sucks and the weird old man with a long-rear end track record of poorly handling topics related to women hosed up. It's bizarre to go "lol WWE cultists" when you're basically saying no criticism of Dave Meltzer could ever have merit if it's being levied by a WWE employee

The only way to get Meltzer criticized is to have an AEW employee say something bad about him

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Eat My Fuc posted:

Dave should get a boob job in my opinion.

We all should

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Why would they trash a coworker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

If Dave ever commented on Maki Itoh's plastic surgery this thread would tear itself apart.