Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

yeah I believe that's 616 Blink, who was originally resurrected in... it was Necrosha, wasn't it? I tried to forget most of that storyline

technically basically every dead mutant ever was resurrected in Necrosha, most just didn't stay resurrected :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
616 blink actually didn't die in phalanx covenant, but she was stuck in a discorporated alternate dimension dealie. i think selene got her out? i'm not sure what happened afterward, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Exiles Blink is also hanging out on 616 with her birth family, though? I think at some point they just decided the AoA version is the only one people care about. Ahmed's Exiles book ended with her chilling in the Caribbean.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

it's not like there's been an artist change in X-Force, it's still Joshua Cassara, who's art was really good for a while, I think these last two issues have just been rushed or something.
X-Force #18's credits have Garry Brown penciling and Cassara inking, X-Force #19 is all Garry Brown.

The Blink on Krakoa is presumably the 'original' 616 Blink, whose entire published history has been:

1994 - A few issues of the Phalanx Covenant crossover where she dies/'dies'
2009 - Appears in the afterlife in an issue of Incredible Herc
2009 - Revealed in Necrosha to have survived but in some void, brought back home by Selene
2011 - An eight page anthology story where she's revealed to not be evil/controlled by Selene anymore but also that she doesn't want to join the X-Men
2011-2012: A sporadic "reserve" member of the New Mutants during Abnett/Lanning's run on the book
2017: Shows up in an issue as part of a group shot of the Hydra collaborating New Tian Mutants in an issue, doesn't actually do anything.
2018: Announced as part of the "Newer Mutants" story arc in Cable. Does not appear in the first issue, revealed to be working for Selene against the Newer Mutants on the last page of the second issue, is an unspeaking zombie servant of Selene (who eventually teams up with Cable's team to stop GIDEON) and then at the end teleports Gideon's head off and then leaves.

That was the character's entire publication history (about three dozen appearances) prior to Krakoa era, and she's mind controlled in at least a third of those where she's given dialogue.

Everything else has been the Age of Apocalypse Blink, or possibly other alternate universe Blinks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does Selene top the 'really, you brought HER back/invited her here' charts?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Emplate and Shadow King have to be up there.

Plus you know, Apocalypse.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

X-Force #18's credits have Garry Brown penciling and Cassara inking, X-Force #19 is all Garry Brown.

well hot drat that explains that lmao

I guess the best I can say is Garry Brown would do a passable Joshua Cassara impression if his faces weren't so hosed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

apocalypse killed all the externals for the sake of the arrako gate. candra managed to survive, but was unceremoniously killed by gambit shortly afterward. and well, good riddance.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

Emplate and Shadow King have to be up there.

Plus you know, Apocalypse.

It's kind of interesting to think about which mutants have just been swept under the rug. Like I'm not crossing my fingers to see Azazel or.... Romulus? Was Romulus technically a mutant?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

Shadow King

A friend to all children of Krakoa! Who would take issue with such a friendly character?

How Wonderful! posted:

It's kind of interesting to think about which mutants have just been swept under the rug. Like I'm not crossing my fingers to see Azazel or.... Romulus? Was Romulus technically a mutant?

Hey! :ssh: we are pretending none of these ever existed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I'll have you know Azazel showed up as recently as 2018!!! in the last arc of Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente's Weapon X!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't it that they think it's Farouk without the Shadow King entity on Krakoa?

How Wonderful! posted:

Seems like no. The Marvel fandom wiki lists him as a mutate with Heroic Age: Villains #1 given as the reference.

I haven't read that so I can't say how it confirms this though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 23, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Azazel a mutant in the comics? I thought he was a literal demon from hell.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Mad Jim Jaspers seems like a really bad idea, but it's been working out so far, I suppose.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

You forgot to mention Venkat Katregadda, aka VINDALOO, who is introduced in the Magneto War storyline with this caption:

Alan Davis introduces a South Asian character code-named VINDALOO whose power is to shoot hot liquid. It's not good!

oh cool I hadnt felt the soul leave my body yet today.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't it that they think it's Farouk without the Shadow King entity on Krakoa?
Yeah like I have to assume they would kick the loving Shadow King to the back of the line or just leave him out entirely, but "Amahl Farouk, large Egyptian telepath" would be a different story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sesq posted:

Mad Jim Jaspers seems like a really bad idea, but it's been working out so far, I suppose.

Jamie Braddock, too. Forgot about the mutant king of Otherworld for a second.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Malice is also around but that appears to be like, an active story element in Excalibur and not "oh hey here she is in the background."

Ditto Daken but it really feels like there's just been an agreement to walk back what a vile guy he was in some of his early appearances over the past few years, so I'm ok sort of pretending that he's functionally a different person than the character Daniel Way wrote.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Daken's had completely contradictory characterization in books coming out in the same month. There were weeks when he'd be sympathetic in the Good Wolverine series and then be found menacing Iceman.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think anyone actually knew the details about the shadow king and farouk being distinct entities. so they brought back farouk and it seems that shadow king immediately re-possessed him. poo poo, due to how the backups work they might have just made a backup of the shadow king and now there are two of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think anyone actually knew the details about the shadow king and farouk being distinct entities. so they brought back farouk and it seems that shadow king immediately re-possessed him. poo poo, due to how the backups work they might have just made a backup of the shadow king and now there are two of them.

If anyone knew, wouldn't it be Xavier?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Malice is also around but that appears to be like, an active story element in Excalibur and not "oh hey here she is in the background."

Ditto Daken but it really feels like there's just been an agreement to walk back what a vile guy he was in some of his early appearances over the past few years, so I'm ok sort of pretending that he's functionally a different person than the character Daniel Way wrote.

it helps to do this with literally every Daniel Way interpretation of a character

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Adam Reck who co-hosts Battle of the Atom did a deep dive to try and determine if it was ever officially established the Shadow King is separate from Farouk and the answer was... sure, maybe?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaz-L posted:

If anyone knew, wouldn't it be Xavier?
My out-there theory for a while has been that we haven't actually had Xavier here, we've had Legion roleplaying as Xavier. Of course Legion would also know about the Shadow King, but he would perhaps have a less in depth knowledge.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don’t think Xavier knows that Farouk is on the island.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Adam Reck who co-hosts Battle of the Atom did a deep dive to try and determine if it was ever officially established the Shadow King is separate from Farouk and the answer was... sure, maybe?

that's probably where this arc in new mutants comes from, yeah. that discussion been making the rounds online for a few years now. it was just never canonical either way until that issue of new mutants.

what i'm surprised about is that it is happening in one of the side books. originally destiny was killed on muir island by legion who was controlled by the shadow king, but that whole scenario is incredibly suspicious given the moira retcons. by the nature of shadow king's influence, no one else can be clear on whether or not he made legion kill her. so, shadow king is the only person who can say exactly what happened. this malevolent psychic entity is the key witness against moira mactaggart!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Uh, I thought he did come in that wave of villains back in HoX, but now that I checked, at least on panel he isn't there.

So either he was invited as the others were and we didn't see his arrival, or he was resurrected (I think Farouk himself was dead to begin with), or he found a way to infiltrate the island later on from wherever he was hanging out before.

He did show up during that dumb crossover of plant aliens invading when there was a call for telepathic reinforcements, so people know he's there now at least.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think he could hide himself from Xavier, and that's disregarding the fact that Jean, Emma, Betsy, Quentin, and Rachel are all there too. I think it's been established both Xavier and Jean are more powerful than Farouk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Farouk/Shadowking showed up in the Empyre mini when they asked for all psychics on the island to help the fight.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Showed up for that arrival panel and wasn’t seen again. Most people considered it an artist error.

If anyone could create a psychic blind spot, it’d be the Shadow King.

Shadow King and Legion have hidden themselves well enough that they are secrets and folk tales shared amongst the children of Krakoa. Visions of them have appeared in the presence of other telepaths, including Xavier, without them noticing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Showed up for that arrival panel and wasn’t seen again. Most people considered it an artist error.

If anyone could create a psychic blind spot, it’d be the Shadow King.

Shadow King and Legion have hidden themselves well enough that they are secrets and folk tales shared amongst the children of Krakoa. Visions of them have appeared in the presence of other telepaths, including Xavier, without them noticing.

Legion is a whole different thing though. He's an omega mutant and has an array of powers that could hide him. Xavier has Cerebro which is constantly downloading mutants brains from all across the world, and both Jean and Quire are more powerful telepaths than the Shadow King. He wouldn't be able to hide for long, so pretending to be Farouk is probably his safest bet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’d make the argument that the telepaths aren’t looking for snakes in the garden, so the best place for the Shadow King to hide would be right under their nose. If they knew Farouk was there, someone would probably have an eye on him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The one scene he's in before New Mutants also has literally every other single telepath on the island. Someone would have loving noticed.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This is annoyingly a little more ambiguous whether people can see him here than I remembered, but he is toasting Cypher's marriage in the middle of the party:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maduo posted:

This is annoyingly a little more ambiguous whether people can see him here than I remembered, but he is toasting Cypher's marriage in the middle of the party:

god i love the art in new mutants

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who would even recognize farouk? the shadow king rarely ever used that form for his various psychic battles. karma, maybe?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

who would even recognize farouk? the shadow king rarely ever used that form for his various psychic battles. karma, maybe?

Xavier, pretty much anyone from New Mutants.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i took xavier as a given, since the two of them had actually met. storm was also there, i think.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, the Shadow King often manifested in the mindscape as "Farouk top half, spider legs bottom half" so he'd at least look pretty familiar.

Soule's Astonishing X-Men from a few years back, where Xavier returned in Fantomex's body, had the team fighting the Shadow King in Farouk mode in the opening arc, so add Beast, Betsy, Gambit, Rogue, Bishop, Fantomex and Angel to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh, correction, Beast was secretly Mystique in disguise in that (short-lived) run. So I guess scrub him from the list and add her.