Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If I’m gonna pick up Atelier Ryza on sale should I get it on switch or PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
It shouldn't have any particular problems on either, but PS4 loads faster and so on if you have no personal preferences about portability or controllers or whatever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waci posted:

It shouldn't have any particular problems on either, but PS4 loads faster and so on if you have no personal preferences about portability or controllers or whatever.

I was thinking Switch just because sometimes it’s nice to play games in bed so I was just curious if it had any major issues that made the Switch version particularly bad. Thanks!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why the delistings

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The enhanced versions are coming out soon

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The Switch version is uglier than PC (of course), but it plays fine.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
ok so I thought I beat Ayesha but instead I had like another 12 hours worth of post game on my plate. Was not expecting that!

Well, if nothing else I can say with absolute certainty it's possible to comfortably 100% the game within the 3 year time limit, even with no guide or even prior knowledge of the series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The main thing is that a lot of the older Ateliers have fairly obscure event requirements at times so it can be hard to even know what to do sometimes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i hope lydie and suelle is a fun game

i'm slowly getting my way there...I just want my gun atelier

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's the funniest game in the series, at the least. and has one of the best crafting systems

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lulua is funnier for the first half until they ran out of money, imo

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Lydie and Suelle and fun and funny and holy hell the opening duet is wonderful and amazing and easily one of the best things Gust has ever composed.

Also apparently I need to find cashmonies for Mysterious ateliers DX in like two weeks and uggggggggggh is there any reason to if I already have the games and all the important DLC?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rotoru posted:

Lydie and Suelle and fun and funny and holy hell the opening duet is wonderful and amazing and easily one of the best things Gust has ever composed.

Also apparently I need to find cashmonies for Mysterious ateliers DX in like two weeks and uggggggggggh is there any reason to if I already have the games and all the important DLC?

We don't know the full change list but probably not.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly I thought S&L has one of the weaker opening songs

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rotoru posted:

Sophie is adding a new story about catching up to her grandmother (along with a new outfit)

Firis is getting new exploration items.

The Lydie & Suelle Season Pass is the same price as the entire mysterious collection on preorder discount. Also they work Nelke into the story

E: Lydie & Suelle had a thing where they made the songs able to be sung together or individually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eFekdWkq3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3K6Zv3Kv0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ8BDhPjerE

Dehry fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 10, 2021

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
it hit me within like 20 minutes of starting L&S that the title screen opening is literally the twins' themes running side by side and i've always appreciated that

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

The Lydie & Suelle Season Pass is the same price as the entire mysterious collection on preorder discount. Also they work Nelke into the story

There's a preorder discount? Steam only has the games listed as "releases in 10 days" with no way to buy them yet.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I believe it’s on switch and maybe ps4/5

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
PS4 and Switch preorders have a discount. Probably a weeklong discount on Steam, though Greenmangaming will probably get a good deal like with others.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I kind have this streak-y thing going with Atelier games where I'll get really into them for a while, burn myself out, and then repeat. Same seems to be happening with Ryza right now, I powered through all of Ryza 1, kinda opting for a less bomb focused playstyle and going in more on making my equipment as laughable as possible and just whacking stuff to death which seemed to play out fine. I was kinda spurred into it with the (mostly self inflicted) conviction that I'd want to save CC for dire situations.

For a bit, Ryza 2 looked like it was gonna shake me out of that with the in-battle generation of CC and taking away the counter-desperation Orders, but I kinda just got the hotswap assist mechanic, and holy poo poo, it feels like once I get my first assist bar full, I can just do a combo, immediately swap and start a new one, and then swap back in a seemingly neverending skill chain.

I just got Serri and she seems a lot less interesting, both character and mechanics wise, than Lila which kinda blows, but hey. Either way, if I wanted to go whole hog on combo skill chaining stuff, is there any new Traits I should keep an eye out for to facilitate that, or is it just kinda the same as Ryza 1, and load up on Skill Charges and whatnot?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, now that I've gotten a chance to play the Mysterious DX games and compare them side by side with the PS4/PC originals, I can safely say these are Switch ports. The exploration areas were reworked to perform better on Switch, removing grass textures and replacing trees. I slept until the same time in both games and this is the spot I was spawned in.

Original

DX (RX 480/i7 7700k 16gb ram) effectively the same on PS4 when it unlocked .

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There are some REALLY GOOD Atelier game deals on Steam r/n

just an example

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm nearing the end of Escha & Logy. I can see why it's so beloved, though I'm not nearly as charmed by it as I was Ayesha

I feel like too many of the characters are just not very fun to be around. Someone like Keithgriff or Juris works well when they're contrasted against the likes of Ernie and Regina and Nanaca and of course Ayesha herself. But here I don't care for much of anyone beyond the returning characters, Escha, and Awin

But everything else is definitely superior, especially the gameplay elements, and particularly crafting itself. The whole elemental skill system is SO much fun and I feel like I have tremendous control over what I'm making

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You'll like the alchemy systems in most of the remaining games, I think. Shallie was a bit of a whiff and Ryza does its own thing but Sophie through Lulua bear a lot of similarity to E&L. Lulua in particular

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

shallie's crafting is janky as hell and i needed a lot of video tutorials plus sylphid's guide just to get the hang of it

combat is super fun though

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Really? I found it pretty intuitive. That was the one with the opposing element values for upgrade paths, correct?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

numerrik posted:

Really? I found it pretty intuitive. That was the one with the opposing element values for upgrade paths, correct?

That's Lulua

maybe it's Shallie too? I don't remember Shallie crafting other than not liking it

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

shallie crafting had the weird chain system and i don't recall opposing elements coming into play at all

the alchemy system was also balanced around having a max level of 100 instead of 50, and a lot of crafting skills that would have made it more bearable were locked into really, really lategame after a miserable grindfest

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
So how bad are the steam ports of the games compared to the switch versions?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Haven't seen any complaints about technical issues on PC so far (and the original PC release had a lot of those, especially Firis), but it seems like the DX version is based on the Switch build, so it actually looks worse than the original PC release

old:

new:

old top, new bottom:

PS3, old PC version, PS5 DX:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Any of these games have QOL stuff like speed ups and what not? I want to check out the series but have trouble playing RPGs in their normal way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
What about the Ayesha/Eschalogy/Shallie ports on pc?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

finally dusk on sale yes

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had the sound off because I was doing graphical comparisons and didn't want the soundtrack playing twice, but now realize at least in Firis DX the audio doesn't loop right.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It kind of fell off my radar for a while but now that it's on deep discount, how is Nelke? Atelier games are pretty much all giant crossovers anyway, so I could get behind the biggest crossover of them all.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Finally nabbed Firis on Seitch. Super cute so far.

Seeing the graphics comparisons is pretty crazy though! That's some serious reverse quality which I wouldn't have expected from an improved version. Seems like graphics would get better. :thunkher:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bussamove posted:

It kind of fell off my radar for a while but now that it's on deep discount, how is Nelke? Atelier games are pretty much all giant crossovers anyway, so I could get behind the biggest crossover of them all.

Nelke is a complete spinoff. Gameplay completely unlike the mainline series.

The alchemist interactions are cute but the gameplay is pretty middling to bad.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Nelke is a complete spinoff. Gameplay completely unlike the mainline series.

The alchemist interactions are cute but the gameplay is pretty middling to bad.

That's a shame. Atelier is carried a lot on its cute interactions but the gameplay still needs to be there.

Might just get the Mysterious trilogy instead. I have L&S but never really played the other two because they got a fairly bad reception when they first came out. Or I'll continue my trend of owning the Dusk trilogy on every platform possible.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Thank you for the OP for this. Saw these on sale and never played one before. Still deciding where to jump in on these series. That's a hefty price point to go in blind on one.

So.....many......games......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Givin posted:

Thank you for the OP for this. Saw these on sale and never played one before. Still deciding where to jump in on these series. That's a hefty price point to go in blind on one.

So.....many......games......

I've only played six of them (Marie, Elie, Anne, Rorona, Totori, and Meruru), and only finished four of those, but of those I think Meruru gets my top spot; it's a bit more polished than Rorona and I found the city-building elements to be great fun. And it's a bit less pricey than the more recent ones.

It's the third one in the Arland trilogy, but I don't think you need to have finished the first two to enjoy it (and in fact Totori is one of the ones I DNFed).

Tamba posted:

Haven't seen any complaints about technical issues on PC so far (and the original PC release had a lot of those, especially Firis), but it seems like the DX version is based on the Switch build, so it actually looks worse than the original PC release

old top, new bottom:

Wow, that is...rough. If I were feeling cynical I might wonder if they half-assedly ported the Switch version and pulled the originals to have an excuse to reset the price.

Do the Dusk games have similar issues? After Meruru last year (which was an absolute blast, but also riddled with technical issues on PC) and now this, I wonder if my best option is to dig up my PS3 and just play the PS3 builds...

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 23, 2021