Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Isaiah was very clear about going public with his story, to the extent that he thought his life would be at risk. So I thought that bit was odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Bucky was so sad when the one Flag Smasher threw that rebar at his head from behind. He caught it, and had a "aww man, don't do that" look on his face, like he didn't want to ACTUALLY fight these people, but might have to if they keep escalating. It was good.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I like how the shield was stopped by common office chair

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They should give Sam a helmet, he would look fine if you just gave him a drat helmet

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Ravel posted:

Isaiah was very clear about going public with his story, to the extent that he thought his life would be at risk. So I thought that bit was odd.

His objection was to telling people he was still alive. What was put in the museum was a memorial to a dead man.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The World Inferno posted:

I definitely laughed at that.

Firebert posted:

They should give Sam a helmet, he would look fine if you just gave him a drat helmet

This also reminds me of laughing at Walker's wife helmet joke when he was putting on the US Agent outfit

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Harlock posted:

Everyone has goldfish brains when it comes to the MCU.

John Walker literally just murdered a guy two episodes ago for no reason, and are now cheering on his heroic moment.

The MCU definitely believes that good deeds outweight bad deeds.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Andrew Verse posted:

His objection was to telling people he was still alive. What was put in the museum was a memorial to a dead man.

"Isaiah Bradley is an American Hero whose name went unknown for too long."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ravel posted:

"Isaiah Bradley is an American Hero whose name went unknown for too long."

Which does not require him to be alive, or his imprisonment to be detailed in full. Official records held by the government say he died during his imprisonment after all.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jeez, of course the new captain america has the power to summon drones.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Harlock posted:

John Walker literally just murdered a guy two episodes ago for no reason, and are now cheering on his heroic moment.

Funny how some people always tend to fail upwards, innit?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

oh geez.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Caesar Saladin posted:

Think how short these movies and tv shows would be with some judicious use of a few RX9s.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Walker stumbling into joining hydra is great. The big ol' jocky dumb dumb.

Gotta say after Endgame I wasn't sold on Falcon being the new cap but this series sure did. Mission accomplished Marvel. Here's hoping new cap doesn't get sidelined in the upcoming films/shows.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 23, 2021

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I was really hoping to see more of Bucky's reconciliation about the son he murdered. It's hard to know from the final shot whether he was just moving on or if they came to an understanding. Almost certainly not that quickly, but I wanted to hear more of that conversation

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zodack posted:

I was really hoping to see more of Bucky's reconciliation about the son he murdered. It's hard to know from the final shot whether he was just moving on or if they came to an understanding. Almost certainly not that quickly, but I wanted to hear more of that conversation

I think it's better left to the imagination, because different people will want it to go very differently dependent on how they think of Bucky and process grief among other things. This way it's up to the viewer how to interpret it; whether the guy ultimately forgave Bucky, whether he could understand his actions but can't forgive him, whether he couldn't even condone the sight of Bucky etc. The guy obviously found some closure, since he was smiling when Bucky spotted him at the noodle bar, but that doesn't mean anything for how he thinks of Bucky himself.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Zodack posted:

This was the show's biggest whiff. We should've seen (and felt) Yori's response. As it played out, it felt too easy. Also, that book he gave the therapist is probably worth thousands of dollars.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It was pretty obvious in the previous episode that Sharon was the Power Broker, and it also seems pretty obvious that she intentionally gave the SSS to Karli as a long con to get back into the US government. I think signs point to her being a Skrull.

I could see Skrull Sharon being a thing, it's an easy excuse to bring back a heroic agent Carter. I think it's more interesting and more likely that she' just getting her double agent get rich lifestyle on though.

A fun finale, and a nice outfit for Sam that reminded me more of the comics than I was expecting. Wandavision still has the "Best Disney+ MCU show" crown by quite a bit in my mind, but Loki's got a lot going for it and it's hard to picture it not being a ton of fun. That seems like it's going to quickly become the show to beat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm a bit disappointed by how they played Karli. It was always kind of headed that way and I'm glad that Sam never relented in sympathizing with her and seeing the "why" despite her mistakes and actions. But still, I was hoping she could be more than a martyr. That might have been irrational and might be a testament to them making her a sympathetic villain but I'm bummed.

I'm also a little disappointed by the Walker "oh, you did something heroic its ok now" thing. Overall I think they absolutely nailed it with him and that incredibly goofy/sinister ending of him being all giddy to joy the new shadowy amoral operation is pretty perfect. And Bucky at least gave him the same sort of "not when you say it" treatment Zemo got. And I mean, I don't even hate that Walker did something good. He's not evil afterall. But the combination of Karli having no redemption and Walker getting some left me a little cold.

Overall though I'm happy. Sam's speech was a little clunky as were some of the handwavey ways he just got everything done for the tie up, but its the right energy. Its a good journey from Falcon to Captain America and I'm excited to see what's next for him. Bucky too. In a lot of ways while Sam's stuff was bigger Bucky's was all way more personal and killed it. Seeing where Bucky starts the series and ends it smiling, with friends and family, trying to make amends. Stan did a great job and I'm really curious to see what's next.

Sharon... I dunno. Everyone's said it. Its weird. I dunno.

Hopefully people will stop stanning Zemo now.

All in all there were definitely clunky parts. Some of that can be explained by pandemic and the theory that they changed up teh story as a result. Some of it was just easy answers to tough questions. But they raised those questions and they didn't act like everything was resolved and fixed in one moment. Its definitely the kind of hopeful resolution you expect from a super hero story. If the show didn't agree that Sam could make things better by trying then it would be something else entirely. But that comes with good and bad, but overall I'm pretty satisfied and there was a lot of good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Karli did get a little redeemed when Sam came out and publicly said she was right.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Love it

Since we didn't see Batroc actually die just lying there after getting shot I sure hope he still appears in more. I love me some GSP

Really enjoyed the episode. Thought it wrapped up enough with leaving enough still open to continue.

Now for the what month wait till Loki?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

Karli did get a little redeemed when Sam came out and publicly said she was right.

Yeah "no" was a bad way to put it. More like no pro-active acts of making the right choice like Walker had. Sam did a lot of work to try and see Karli's good but that kind of ends up reflecting more on Sam in ways. I dunno. I'm just bummed about Karli.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah "no" was a bad way to put it. More like no pro-active acts of making the right choice like Walker had. Sam did a lot of work to try and see Karli's good but that kind of ends up reflecting more on Sam in ways. I dunno. I'm just bummed about Karli.

I was hoping she'd be Sam's Bucky but I guess not. Her death also felt inconsequential. No one seemed to care that she was dead.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I definitely laughed at that.

This also reminds me of laughing at Walker's wife helmet joke when he was putting on the US Agent outfit

She literally could have made the joke he looked like the old man from Up since Disney owns everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, it turned out Karli had exactly the same character arc as her lookalike Phin Mason/The Tinkerer in Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

I was hoping she'd be Sam's Bucky but I guess not. Her death also felt inconsequential. No one seemed to care that she was dead.

It seemed hard to see her end up fully heroic like that after everything she'd done. Surely Sam would want her to turn herself in for the murders. But I was hopeful she'd make a heroic choice in the end and kind of end up wandering trying to figure out what the right path was. The "Nomad" theory basically. So I'm sad it went the way it did. It was a natural character path. Karli was losing herself more and more into the need to do something big in spite of the morals and that consumed her. I think the unclear plan of what exactly she was planning with the GRC really worked for that. Karli seemed like she was panicking and spiraling. And I'm glad Sam didn't let it define her. But it sucks she's gone and just the martyr/mistake. She felt like she could have been a lot more.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The ending was...ok?

I dunno, everything felt so fast and not exactly complete. I think the 2nd helticopter fight in the series was stupid. And walker's turn to "good" was abrupt and not exactly earned. I do like Sam's speech and helping Isiah, that was pretty well done. And the costuming was really good too.

Also, Walker being a little too dumb to know he is being used seems spot on. Like the guy WANTS to do good in the world but doesn't quite realized he is being used.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Chair That Defends In Mid Air

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NM

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 23, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Harlock posted:

We're getting an entire series cuz people love to forget Loki is a mass murdering slaver

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

We're getting an entire series cuz people love to forget Loki is a mass murdering slaver

But he'd never do it again!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Walker stumbling into joining hydra is great. The big ol' jocky dumb dumb.

Where is this idea that Walker is joining HYDRA coming from? Is it because of Val? Because she was Agent 14 of SHIELD for far longer than the brief period she was Madame Hydra, and even then, she actually turned out to be a mole for the Russian group Leviathan.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So weird to hear the phrase “you control all the banks“. Otherwise a great series

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Sharon hasn't been an interesting character so far but the idea of Peggy Carter's niece being the villain of a Captain America movie has a lot of potential. It could also tie into the series' themes of expectations and living in people's shadows. Plus, Sam helped get her back into the CIA and exploring how people react to a Black Captain America who isn't perfect is a direction they could definitely go in.

Also, this would be a perfect excuse to bring Hayley Atwell back for some flashbacks.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zodack posted:

I'll give it a pass solely on it isn't about Bucky or even us, the viewer. Genuine contrition and making amends is about telling someone the truth that will help them and allowing yourself to be held truly accountable. You are told that this could lead to them yelling at you or whatever happens you let them process their grief, loss and pain. Bucky did what he was afraid to do. He knew he couldn't still be his friend and that he was using the old man for his own needs. He made amends and let that man go on with his life to grieve in private. I thought that was a good touch and felt like the guy who made this show actually knows what that means as opposed to what is more typically fodder for tv. Classy touch.

To keep from large black blocks for at least today but give a mini review: show stuck the landing. I knew I was going to like this show but it is nice to not be horribly disappointed. Any complaints I might have are minor and the show was fairly solid beginning to end. The acting was really good and I always liked Anthony Mackie but this was the first time I really thought he shined.

I'm all in as a Captain America fan... and to see Conservative America lose their mind.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

DogsInSpace! posted:

I'm all in as a Captain America fan... and to see Conservative America lose their mind.

Yes, please.

Don't anyone go putting your mental health at risk to wade into the socials, but if you come across any chuds gettin' mad, do post them for us to laugh at.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm 100% on the Anthony Mackie/Sam Wilson Captain America train.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched the episode with subtitles (lol actually working on Friday) and I liked how in the first few moments of the show it's subtitled "Sam" when he's talking to Bucky and then when he bust in wearing the new suit the subtitles change to "Captain America" when he speaks.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I was really worried for Bucky's cake at the end :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I watched the episode with subtitles (lol actually working on Friday) and I liked how in the first few moments of the show it's subtitled "Sam" when he's talking to Bucky and then when he bust in wearing the new suit the subtitles change to "Captain America" when he speaks.

I wonder if they eventually change the official title of the show to Captain America and the Winter Soldier.