Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Is there any info on how you can watch MODOK outside of the US? Its only on Hulu which means it might as well be broadcasting on Pluto.

Its going to be on Disney+ outside the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Nah Pluto is really only good for their Rifftracks channel.

Their wrestling channel is cool too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did the first modok ep air recently

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, doesn't air until May 21st

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Their wrestling channel is cool too

And the American gladiators channel.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Vince MechMahon posted:

And the American gladiators channel.

Ha ha ha YESssss!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I have never understood why Jess got it worse than like Sue or Widow. Probably the only one who got it worse that Psylock in her Kwannon phase.

I think because when Jess was getting her resurgence in the mid '00s it was the same time Frank Cho was doing a lot of Avengers books. Same thing happened to Carol and her old black suit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

One thing that bothers me is that a lot of people are assuming Secret Invasion will be with the Skrulls invading, like in the comics. Though A) They've already layed the groundwork for Kree having infiltrators on earth and B) Establishing the Skrulls as refugees fleeing the Kree Empire and making it pretty clear the Kree are literally genocidal to them has a lot of ugly implications on the idea of refugees if you make some of them actually bad. It's feeding directly into right wing scarmongering of refugees, that many are just coming here to start trouble, so we shouldn't let any in! Even if that is really clear, that the Queens faction is evil and bad, and Talos is in charge of a peaceful faction, its still gross with current politics. Making the Kree, who have already been shown to be hegemonic imperialists. They almost certainly send in infiltrators before a full on invasion, and Carol sending Yon-Rogg home with this tail between his legs and destroying one of Ronan's ships, they probably have it in for Earth.

Disney actually released that information. Most of the shows got a synopsis on announcement. We know it's about roughly the same idea as the comic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Disney actually released that information. Most of the shows got a synopsis on announcement. We know it's about roughly the same idea as the comic.

The issue with this is they've put out misleading pre-release stuff before to hide twists.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh good. I just saw Patton Oswalt tweeting about it and everything said "only on HULU".

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think because when Jess was getting her resurgence in the mid '00s it was the same time Frank Cho was doing a lot of Avengers books. Same thing happened to Carol and her old black suit.

Yea, in the Avengers that were lead by Luke Cage, they made a lot of references to Jess's costume being super tight and Jess herself being crazy hot. She shows up at the Raft after a breakout with a box of donuts and says "I have to go back to superheroing, and due to my costume being super tight, i can't eat anything good, so whoever tells me who they broke out of the raft, they can have this box of donuts" and everyone starts yelling that it was Sauron. Then when she first comes into the Avengers Lounge in the tower everyones all "whoa..." and Luke himself is "drat girl".

But yea I remember in the early 2000s Ms Marvel series Carols rear end was on full display in some panels, like the artist was trying to get away with giving her a thong costume.

Aphrodite posted:

Really? I didn't see anything that specific.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They also revealed that her pheromone powers were influencing all the guys.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

But yea I remember in the early 2000s Ms Marvel series Carols rear end was on full display in some panels, like the artist was trying to get away with giving her a thong costume.

I think Dark Reign was when it got real blatant that it was drawn one handed. Like a lot of the panel POVs were from right behind her putting the focus on her booty. And the costume definitely disappeared up her butt crack.

EDIT: I did a google image search and yep, it was Dark Reign.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 23, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Proteus Jones posted:

I think Dark Reign was when it got real blatant that it was drawn one handed. Like a lot of the panel POVs were from right behind her putting the focus on her booty. And the costume definitely disappeared up her butt crack.

EDIT: I did a google image search and yep, it was Dark Reign.

Dark Reign was also when they put Moonstone in the original Ms Marvel costume. We joke about the 90s being super horny, but it really didn't stop there.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

TFATWS was okay

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The costume ain’t great, but I’m going to chalk that up to the budget.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rhyno posted:

They also revealed that her pheromone powers were influencing all the guys.

This reminded me that the whole thing was started with Jess' surgery to restore her powers and made me envision a world where Rhodey takes the lead of Secret Invasion with a skull swapping him out during an experimental surgery to restore full function to his legs. Could have gotten Don Cheadle full on chewing scenery.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shirkelton posted:

The costume ain’t great, but I’m going to chalk that up to the budget.

I really liked the costume, but maybe that because Anthony Mackie can wear nearly anything and have it look good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

bessantj posted:

I really liked the costume, but maybe that because Anthony Mackie can wear nearly anything and have it look good.

That is what saved it for me, it just looked cheap and a little ill-fitting.

He deserves a better version of that costume.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked the last episode a bit better. It felt tighter. This one felt a bit rushed.

I liked Sam's big speech. I liked the stuff with Isaiah. Basically once all the action was over and they started to wrap plotlines, I got back into it. Zemo's bit actually surprised me, I thought they were keeping some Flag Smashes in store. Sad Batroc got ganked. Sadder Karli got it. Sharon getting away with being the Power Broker was interesting for future stories.

Interested in US Agent. You would think after all these years when they lean into the camera and say the comic book thing I'd be over it, but no. Still smiled a little. He seems to be...fine I guess? Sam and Bucky are cool as long as he's not Cap I guess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It was a very ambitious show that mostly achieved what it set out to do, but the places where it stumbled were all the more pronounced precisely because of how high it tried to go.

The part where they winked as they said "What we need now...is a U.S. AGENT!" was definitely a real heavy-handed moment in a pretty heavy-handed finale.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BrianWilly posted:

It was a very ambitious show that mostly achieved what it set out to do, but the places where it stumbled were all the more pronounced precisely because of how high it tried to go.

The part where they winked as they said "What we need now...is a U.S. AGENT!" was definitely a real heavy-handed moment in a pretty heavy-handed finale.

tbf the fact that Val had been hammy as all hell in all her scenes made it work.

And it also fits with Walker's character to be absurdly loving excited about that dumb loving title.

He is being completely loving worked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it kind of worked BECAUSE it was Val manipulating Walker's big dumbass excitement to be a super hero for whatever her shady agenda is. And Julia Louis Dreyfus goes a long way to selling its silliness.

I liked Sam's fighting style with the wings and shield. I like his costume even if maybe he could use a helmet. I guess Sam just doesn't like them but you'd think his ears would get cold. I love Bucky's whole arc. I dig Isiah Bradley's arc and hope it continues with his grandson. I'm real iffy on Sharon's but she wasn't much of a character before so I guess whatever. I'm bummed Karli's gone and didn't get a chance to try and redeem her mistakes and fight her righteous battles well. Her arc makes sense as the well intentioned hero who made mistakes and had failures and spiraled, but I was hoping she'd have more. Bummed about that. But overall a strong ending.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I know it's essentially meaningless bit I was surprised not to see the "Captain America and the Winter Soldier will return" thing. They did a title change but not the stay tuned thing.

Also when Sam was speeching at the senators, it cut to a shot of him on a tv and while it turned out to be Isiah watching in a second I was sort of half expecting it would be a thrown beer into the tv instead, since at that moment he was in the "millions of people out there hate me right now" part. Happy to be surprised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The suit is great, they just need to streamline it a bit. I think they padded the shoulders a bit too much.

His speech was great, Mackie is so goddamn charismatic. The Isaiah stuff was pretty wonderful as well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was... Fine. I liked half of it and didn't like the other half. Marvels pattern with these shows for me is being 7/10s that could have been higher had they not stumbled across the finish line.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked the episode in broad strokes, but thought it felt a little flabby. Sam's speech ran a bit long, the epilogue kind of dragged it's feet, that sort of thing. Like it was stretched a little to fill time, as opposed to the penultimate episode, which was filled to the brim with stuff I loved.

Overall I liked the miniseries a lot. It was less experimental than Wanda Vision but also felt like it had a lot more going on (and got to the point faster). Sam's flying special effects are definitely much better than Wanda's. I get the feeling Loki is going to be sort of the mid point between the two, being weird and experimental but also getting to the the good stuff faster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sam's Captain America suit is better than Steve Rodger's was in the Whedon directed Avengers films.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Sam's Captain America suit is better than Steve Rodger's was in the Whedon directed Avengers films.

That's a low bar.

The AoU suit is the Winter Soldier suit, colored and with a helmet added. The Endgame suit is nearly perfect.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sam's costume looked like it was made out of the same material as the $15 Halloween versions at Wal-Mart and the shoulder pads look goofy. Someone said it a week or two ago but his fight sequences with the hand to hand combat plus the wings actually works better in motion than I've seen in comics imo

Mainly though I'm just extremely disappointed in Karli's story now that I've seen the whole thing. They could've done so much more with the character and just chose to do none of it and to add the cherry on top they just flat out killed her off. Even Walker got "redeemed" more or less just by showing up

JLDs bit is pretty funny and if they partner her up with zemo's dry wit for Thunderbolts that would be amazing. Presumably, with that mid credits scene, they will be doing something for or against Sharon as the power broker??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ben Shaprio is pretty salty about Sam getting the mantel and that is giving me so much goddamned joy.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
TFATWS finale spoilers

I respect the message they're trying to send, but it's a little clumsy. The Sam and Isaiah parts of the theming is handled pretty well. The Flag Smashers' messaging is really clumsy. I agree with the others who say that the second half of the episode feels like a rush to the finish line to wrap things up.

I like the suit. :shrug:

J2DK fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 23, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Ben Shaprio is pretty salty about Sam getting the mantel and that is giving me so much goddamned joy.

I thought it would take him more than a day to do something dumber than his Home Depot stunt and yet here we are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I thought it would take him more than a day to do something dumber than his Home Depot stunt and yet here we are.

The video is from last week I guess. Possibly older.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Between the show annoying Shapiro and TNC's Cap run getting Peterson all butthurt, Captain America as a franchise is doing something right.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Nothing Sharon does makes any loving sense. Is she just a complete unhinged nihilist now? And I guess they’re setting her up as starting Armor Wars by selling Stark tech on the black market?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One theory is she's a Skrull infiltrator, which I'd buy, simply because otherwise it's such a wild deviation from the character in the comics in a way the MCU never does.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
skrull or not I think it's kinda cool they decided to do something totally different with the character since she never really got to do much of anything besides be The Voice of Reason for a few minutes in winter soldier and caps not quite gf spy for 5 minutes in civil war

What's been on my mind since i finished is i don't really know how i feel about Isaiah's arc and how him "getting over" his completely justified pain and anger to shore up Sam's story via a rousing speech seems pretty hollow, but I'm also not the one to be able to say whether that's acceptable or not

site fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 23, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sharon said she was snapped right? I'm thinking we'll find out that was a lie and that's how she built such a large criminal empire.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I really dug the show. Loved Sam's cap costume and the fighting style. I'm not 100% sure on Karli being dead. They just take her away in the ambulance and Sam says she's dead, but she's got the super soldier serum pumping though her. I think there's still hope for her in a Thunderbolts.

So far Marvel is 2 for 2 on their tv shows, I can't imagine Hiddleson and Loki will let me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The advanced flight+shield combat was so good. I can't wait til we see Sam again.

Goddamn Mackie is just so charismatic. I'm so glad he's been given the central role in the MCU.