Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

plester1 posted:

If you're using the full size bonfires, they don't need a roof. They aren't affected by the rain, so you can just have a roof over the walkway if you want to stay dry.

Right, but with a roof you can make it blink like an actual lighthouse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if you make a game with a wide variety of mechanics and then make bosses that can be easily cheesed with them, the response should not be "oh poo poo we should remove or nerf the mechanics" but instead should be to make better bosses?

Like if the boss is a combination of 1. dull and 2. cheeseable then you have just made a bad boss fight, and most of the bosses are bad, because they are very simplistic and rely on you not using all the mechanics for them to be difficult.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If I want a game that's beating my head against a wall I'll go play something like Dark Souls. Which sometimes is great because that one time when the wall breaks instead of your head it feels amazing.

But sometimes I want a game where I can just chill and explore/harvest/build, right now Valheim is scratching that itch. Even though some things are kind of an unfun grind, like how much goddamn stone is needed for ground manipulation and the obscene costs of building with stone. For the most part the game is still at that "comfy" level.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'd dearly love it if there was a creative mode - probably some analogue of Terraria's Journey mode, where things have a cost, but as long as you've collected a certain amount of a thing - a stack, say - you can just spawn it in.

But there isn't.

And yeah, the answer to 'people are killing bonemass by making inaccessibly high towers' is 'make Bonemass able to kill people on inaccessibly high towers' not 'prevent people from making inaccessibly high towers'.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The bosses are pretty well done as is, even if you do them as "intended." They aren't the most creative boss mechanics in the history of gaming but they're good enough, and certainly have a great visual style to them.

Bonemass is just a wake up call because the game kind of handholds you up that point and you can get by with lovely gear and no potions.

After that you've been taught to go in with max upgraded everything and the fights are much more enjoyable. I had a lot of fun on both Moder and Yagluth smacking them with melee weapons. Spend some time learning their attack cycles and they're very survivable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Bone mass just needs his poison and summon things to go vertically and it's fine.

Kiting poo poo around is a bigger problem but it's also how every action rpg plays, especially with stamina, so who cares

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moder was alright for about three minutes which made it a shame about the other twelve.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yagluth was fine, the loving army of fulings that showed up as soon as night fell was not.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://steamcommunity.com/games/892970/announcements/detail/3076497926554236363

Another dev blog, and some pics that I can't tell what they are on my phone, other than the troll.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Phigs posted:

Trolls you can kill in melee with rolling but the stamina system makes it a pain in the rear end and the death penalty system makes you not want to try it before you've stopped giving a poo poo. You can also parry the unarmed ones with a bronze shield but you kinda want to be able to kill trolls before you get bronze.

You've got it backwards - you can parry the log trolls with the shield. The unarmed ones have a stronger attack that blows right through it.

(Yeah, it's kinda weird)

Blaise330 posted:

My way is to build an arrow tower then feel let down by the devs. Bonus points if its skipping a biome to get ice arrows for Bone Mass which I'd only know to do if I specifically read a guide.

The ice arrow thing definitely doesn't need a guide, does it? Doesn't everyone wander around biomes at random the moment you're able to do so just to see what's the there? I actually got ice arrows in my now lost game before I beat the Elder because I spent a while exploring the mountains like an idiot. I imagined other people would do that as soon as they got frost potions though.

Although I guess you're right that I never would have thought that Bonemass would be weak against cold, so your argument stands. I would have had to accidentally slip into it by deciding to cheese him with the best arrows I had available.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

pik_d posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/892970/announcements/detail/3076497926554236363

Another dev blog, and some pics that I can't tell what they are on my phone, other than the troll.

I think the photo theyre pointing to as a big part of the update is iron ore veins. Iron Ore, not scrap, is in the list of dev commands so Im assuming thats where it comes from

Im hoping they add some kind of armor/weapon mounting dummy or something like it.

This is how my armory is currently set up and itd be cool to have some fully body dummies to display full armor sets on.

Also added a nice dining deck, kitchen and storeroom to my tower.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 23, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

one appears to be someone's feet sat in a throne, the other is a cliff of some kind.

The new troll looks pretty cool though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Reddit seems to think it's either tar pits or gold deposits. either of those or iron ore mentioned above would be cool.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gold would make sense given the little blobules on the bottom left of the throne feet pic

I'd be a little surprised if they put in a second means of getting iron, but maybe ore gets use crucible steel rather than iron and we can make steel weapons, that would be neat. Want my Ulfberht.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They should just delete the combat and make bosses a building competition with the gods.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Kibayasu posted:

They should just delete the combat and make bosses a building competition with the gods.

Like Black & White 2, you could win by destroying your enemy's cities or by building the prettiest civilization.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Give me steam workshop support dammit

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I wouldn't hate using my excess gold coins to construct piles of gold. Would add some luxury to my throne room

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pik_d posted:

Reddit seems to think it's either tar pits or gold deposits. either of those or iron ore mentioned above would be cool.

Since they mention a lot of the new stuff in the "Hearth and Home" update will use whatever is featured in that picture, I don't think its iron. That said I really do hope they add a new way to get more iron.

Heffer posted:

I wouldn't hate using my excess gold coins to construct piles of gold. Would add some luxury to my throne room
Yeah something to do with it, and the gems, besides sell it to Haldor, would be handy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

thespaceinvader posted:

And yeah, the answer to 'people are killing bonemass by making inaccessibly high towers' is 'make Bonemass able to kill people on inaccessibly high towers' not 'prevent people from making inaccessibly high towers'.

Indeed, it'd be real funny if they added an attack that would shake construction off the big trees, just leave people to fall.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Has the process for taming 2 star wolves changed at all since the updates? Or will they still despawn at night?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bioshuffle posted:

Has the process for taming 2 star wolves changed at all since the updates? Or will they still despawn at night?

They fixed it, it's much easier. Only real problem is finding the wolf in the first place and then surviving its pack and drakes while you're trying to get it into a pit

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

mastershakeman posted:

They fixed it, it's much easier. Only real problem is finding the wolf in the first place and then surviving its pack and drakes while you're trying to get it into a pit

I somehow managed to lead a 2 star wolf into a pen. I can get a friend to bring me all the meat I need, but what else do I need to do? Should I still bring a regular wolf in and try to get them to breed out a 2 star? Can I just tame the 2 star wolf normally and lead them back to my breeding pen?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You will need a 2nd animal of any rank. When they produce a pup it may not be 2 star; leave them alone until you get a second 2 star and then cull all the lower rank ones. From then on all offspring will be 2 star.
E: oh that's not what you're asking, idk about the despawning thing

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 23, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Ravenfood posted:

Since they mention a lot of the new stuff in the "Hearth and Home" update will use whatever is featured in that picture, I don't think its iron. That said I really do hope they add a new way to get more iron.

Yeah something to do with it, and the gems, besides sell it to Haldor, would be handy.

Ignoring all this gold thats dropping is making all my gamer instincts scream in agony

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heffer posted:

That's the best idea I've heard about literally anything in months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The merchant will be getting new stuff at some point, but it's probably 9 months down the road at the rate they add stuff to the game.

We're all gonna have scrooge money bins full of gold by that point.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

The merchant will be getting new stuff at some point, but it's probably 9 months down the road at the rate they add stuff to the game.

We're all gonna have scrooge money bins full of gold by that point.

All they need to do to solve this is have the merchant sell either food or an ingredient in food that can't be gotten any other way. As long as the food is best in class at something it'll take care of gold excesses for 90% of players.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Wild 2 star wolves act as before, they try to run away and despawn during the day instead of eating your meat. This was annoying when we found one of them right before it turned day, it refused to eat all day. When it was night again it ate, and the next day it was chill and kept eating, so I guess once they're fractionally tame they switch to the good AI. Then we dumped another wolf in the pit and they started breeding more 2 star wolves and then we never went to that base again so I hope they are happy there now.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Plastik posted:

All they need to do to solve this is have the merchant sell either food or an ingredient in food that can't be gotten any other way. As long as the food is best in class at something it'll take care of gold excesses for 90% of players.

I'll pay like a clean 150 if he just gives me a loving sandwich or something

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I just dont have any other explanation that Iron Ore is a resource you can spawn in the console other than that theres eventually going to be iron veins you dig for like copper/tin/silver. I could see them adding plenty of items that require iron that would need a more consistently abundant source than crypts and swamp scrap piles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Isn't it just the name for scrap iron?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Plastik posted:

This would be great, cause right now it’s kinda a head scratcher how the highest tier of enemy drops excessive amounts of gold coins - an item that by the time you are fighting these dudes, you probably already have chests and chests full of.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I can't resist pointing out that my first-ever death in this game happened when I build a campfire too close to my cabin and set myself on fire as I walked out the door. Don't think Odin is too happy about that one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Jabarto posted:

I can't resist pointing out that my first-ever death in this game happened when I build a campfire too close to my cabin and set myself on fire as I walked out the door. Don't think Odin is too happy about that one.

Mine was from smoke because I wasn't aware you needed to vent smoke in a building :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blaise330 posted:

Atlantis better be a biome. All this ocean just going to waste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jgPSFfdTBo

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 24, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Isn't it just the name for scrap iron?

Nope, totally different resource.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lqazlz/scrap_iron_vs_iron_ore/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

AccountSupervisor posted:

Also added a nice dining deck, kitchen and storeroom to my tower.

This is extremely great, drat.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Jabarto posted:

Mine was while fighting a greyling that came after me while chopping wood. Swung at him, hit him and the tree, tree fell over onto us and killed both me and the greyling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pvt. Public posted:

Mine was while fighting a greyling that came after me while chopping wood. Swung at him, hit him and the tree, tree fell over onto us and killed both me and the greyling.

The two key Valheim experiences with one fell tree.