Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Glendenning supports Sunderland as part of his commitment to the bit, but everyone else has better things to do

Speaking of Barry, I listened to a bit of yesterday's Football Weekly, and it was heavily implied he'd been saying the ESL was a done deal and the foot as we knew it was over. His predictions really have been astonishingly poor this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNLLoFBpLxI

Here's a live protest of Arsenal fans, mad at Stan Kroenke.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Holy poo poo

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're already rich and your aim is just making more money, you don't go in to sports

I don't even think the issue was about turning a profit, the owners are already able to make their money. The issue as they saw it was the uncertainty and risk involved in European soccer. With so many sponsorships and advertising dollars dependent on where you finish, how the season is going, and who you get drawn against, there can be a massive difference in projected profits and actual, which then fucks with your expenses, plans, expansion, everything.

They wanted the NFL model where only the most catastrophically managed teams ever go broke and your expenses/revenue are basically known at the start of the year. These greedy fucks didn't just want profit, they wanted more and they wanted to write away all risks they faced. Basically they bought an asset and then said the asset was fundamentally flawed, when the "flaw" is the reason everyone else loves it.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Has there ever been an American sports team that have done a proper Leeds and had to basically start over

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Has there ever been an American sports team that have done a proper Leeds and had to basically start over

The closest might be the Cleveland Browns, who got moved to Baltimore in ''96 and then had a new version of the team start playing a few years later.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

this is pretty lively

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HMS Beagle posted:

The closest might be the Cleveland Browns, who got moved to Baltimore in ''96 and then had a new version of the team start playing a few years later.

That’s doing a Wimbledon, not doing a Leeds. And it’s incredibly common to move teams about - both LA teams and the raiders moved within the last few seasons.

Oddly the previous Baltimore team did apparently go bust in 1950 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts_(1947–1950)

It’s basically impossible these days, as the teams are franchises, and the league can force people to sell if things are going that badly.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/JamesOlley/status/1385645630064930816

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

poo poo's getting real

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

lol

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 24, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sandwolf posted:

Voodoo should we link up again tonight?

loving lol wrong thread mate

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the sex ghost posted:

not at the top MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA level, because the league has a huge amount of influence and will encourage or force owners to sell if they can't meet their obligations. For instance, MLB basically forced Frank McCourt to sell the Dodgers after they found out he was borrowing money to cover payroll during his divorce. He still made a lot of money but he probably would not have sold voluntarily. The other thing owners do is threaten to move teams and basically auction the team's location to whatever city is going to put up the most money.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

can’t believe gary neville bussed all 30 of those arsenal fans in smdh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HMS Beagle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZndxEvFNk

I've no idea if their situation has improved since this video but - like the Hastily Made Cleveland Tourist Video - I feel it's given me all the infomation I need and I'm disinclined to look any further into it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not at the top MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA level, because the league has a huge amount of influence and will encourage or force owners to sell if they can't meet their obligations. For instance, MLB basically forced Frank McCourt to sell the Dodgers after they found out he was borrowing money to cover payroll during his divorce. He still made a lot of money but he probably would not have sold voluntarily. The other thing owners do is threaten to move teams and basically auction the team's location to whatever city is going to put up the most money.

The US leagues have learned to buy struggling teams in order to avoid long drawn out fights in court. Like the NBA took over ownership of the New Orleans Hornets because the owner couldn't cover the team's losses due to high payroll and low attendance. The NBA wanted to keep the team in New Orleans so they bought the team until an owner could be found.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The US leagues have learned to buy struggling teams in order to avoid long drawn out fights in court. Like the NBA took over ownership of the New Orleans Hornets because the owner couldn't cover the team's losses due to high payroll and low attendance. The NBA wanted to keep the team in New Orleans so they bought the team until an owner could be found.

true, I forgot about the George Shinn saga. one of the benefits (from an owner perspective) of a closed league - the league will ultimately backstop the value of your asset.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think the Arizona Coyotes in the NHL were also league-owned for a few years after their owner went broke.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Chivas USA, which is now LAFC.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Voodoo should we link up again tonight?

Let’s do it

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Azerban posted:

Chivas USA, which is now LAFC.
Chivas USA, which was so incompetently run and toxic that there was a gap of 2-3 years between them folding and LAFC's first game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This headline is so Canadian it hurts:

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1385745293153554433

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

can’t believe gary neville bussed all 30 of those arsenal fans in smdh

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Am Canadian, can completely confirm. (Lurker, top loving content this last week though, seriously ESL and the fallout is better than 2021 MLS in total)

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

Am Canadian, can completely confirm. (Lurker, top loving content this last week though, seriously ESL and the fallout is better than 2021 MLS in total)

The national post is our torygraph. It was founded by conrad black, who gave up his citizenship to accept a knighthood. And then went to prison for being a bastard.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/thousands-european-super-league-football-23972399

id buy a few to wear around the house

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Piece of footballing history that

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dunno about the rest of you but im doing big lols at perez going full hiroo onoda

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lmfao

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/UtdXclusive/status/1385984258305576961

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lol get in

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

need to start dumping Coca Cola in the Thames

e: or whatever river is in Manchester. Thought the video was Arsenal fans at first.

BWV fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 24, 2021

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Very Good

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

BWV posted:

need to start dumping Coca Cola in the Thames

e: or whatever river is in Manchester. Thought the video was Arsenal fans at first.

Take your pick between the Irwell/ship canal or, confusingly, the Mersey

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Burning American flags in your streets??? You had better thank your lucky stars you're white or we would bring you some fresh new democracy for this outrage!!!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wow I love United fans??

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

BUG JUG posted:

Burning American flags in your streets??? You had better thank your lucky stars you're white or we would bring you some fresh new democracy for this outrage!!!!

nobody tell biden how much oil is in the fish and chips

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

your friend wicka posted:

Wow I love United fans??

In this we are football fans

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Bundy posted:

In this we are football fans
More like legacy fans I'd say

Adbot